test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should OP shield strike work without hitting a enemy

superstevenshusuperstevenshu Member Posts: 187 Arc User
Currently the shield strike at will from OP can build a shield without hitting enemies, as long as they stay in combat. OP almost take 0 damage by spamming it even before enemy comes to fight them. I am not sure if this at-will is supposed to be like this, any idea?

Comments

• scarabmanscarabman Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 29 Cryptic Developer
    Shielding Strike is currently working the way it was designed. However, that's not to say we like how it works. It's strange to see a paladin at a node, with nobody nearby, swinging a mace just to get the shield it provides. Internally, we're experimenting with some changes to this at-will.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    scarabman said:

Shielding Strike is currently working the way it was designed. However, that's not to say we like how it works. It's strange to see a paladin at a node, with nobody nearby, swinging a mace just to get the shield it provides. Internally, we're experimenting with some changes to this at-will.

Haha... That'd be a good change :smiley:

But wonder how you'd do it... Make it need a target to activate? Change the effect to shield on every third damage dealt irrespective of the combo? Hmm... Hope it doesn't change too very much except for needing to hit.
    FrozenFire
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited August 2018

scarabman said:

Haha... That'd be a good change :smiley:

But wonder how you'd do it... Make it need a target to activate? Change the effect to shield on every third damage dealt irrespective of the combo? Hmm... Hope it doesn't change too very much except for needing to hit.
    Have it create a shield as a portion of damage dealt (pre or post mitigation, and scaled accordingly)

edit: jk basing it off of damage would nearly guarantee it end up broken or useless. Maybe base it off of max health on hit?

• reeper#9973 reeper Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    So nice to see a Dev answer a plain and simple question on the forums. Can we see similar answers on other more important questions like: Are the Fured Kiuno + Heels of Fury bonusses not stacking WAI or a bug?
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    rip sheild strike. I think it's fine considering there's no way to pop the sheild without already being in combat, and also considering some other classes can buff theirselves before entering combat. is it weird that a tr can stealth theirselves before they enter your field of vision or a dc using as before you even get close to the node they're camping?
    Post edited by ragequittingdc#8599 on
    im actually the gwf carry
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    yea also strange that when some pop in a question about some power of a non tr you suddenly get some answer as Pals shielding strike is the HUGE elefant in pvp.
    Always nice to get an answer but comon 20000 threads about the utterly broken Tr class not as much as a word and some write about Gwf, Gf, Hr or whatever and suddenly some changes are being looked at just a joke imo but whatever pvp is dead since long so why not bother with something that has no bearing ..............
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    lol ^
    I think maybe the gf tact buff thread has inspired some nerfs, but one more thing. paladins might actually be swinging at something if other classes pvp tactic wasn't to run away constantly or use invis rings.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • terylionterylion Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Hi,
    I'm really suprising simple question about paladin skill, get answer from devs. But questions about Sod trs, or any piercing dmg, are withouth any answers.
    Anyway, if we talking about shielding strike, i hope devs repair Pallys shield, couse in this moment only shielding strike give OP any protection against dmg.
    This class should be buffer tank, but OP shield is really usseles. I test against any trs or hrs my paladin shield, and believe me, exept protect against stuns, give nothing. Dmg hr or tr when Paladin have shield up, is the same. My question is, for what op need shield? Only for control resist? DR is not working right now very well, couse mostly time, ( thanks for gear who can rooted, or boons ) ure in stun or rooted. When Op put his shield up, i dont see any different ( protect ) against Dmg. Paladin take almost the same dmg with or withouth shield.
    So i hope, if Devs interesting so hard about shielding strike, i hope they interesting about OP shield. Couse GF's shield is really worth to use, OP shield its usseles against dmg.
  • terylionterylion Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    Another situation is Paladin "TAB" on Protector path.
    When Paladin use TAB when SW is close to u, u die becouse of Warlock Bargain inm 3 sec, only shielding strike give u protect against that bug.
    Another situation is, when paladin use Sacred Weapon, and against him are GF and GWF, and they use marks on paladin in the same time, Paladin die. Bug Work from beginning.
    I hope Devs answer about that too:)
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Maybe that "broken Shield" is the same issue like GF´s ones concerning hitbox vs melee fighter?
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • tilrod2tilrod2 Member Posts: 36 Arc User

Maybe that "broken Shield" is the same issue like GF´s ones concerning hitbox vs melee fighter?

Nope, its working as intended. OP shield gives 80% damage ignore. So it is useless against piercing damage and can be mitigated by armor penetration theoretically.
  • bullrathbullrath Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    terylion said:

When Paladin use TAB when SW is close to u, u die becouse of Warlock Bargain inm 3 sec, only shielding strike give u protect against that bug.
    Another situation is, when paladin use Sacred Weapon, and against him are GF and GWF, and they use marks on paladin in the same time, Paladin die. Bug Work from beginning.

These bugs for the paladin need to be fixed i would love to be able to use sacred weapon but cannot because of the double mark bug .
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    scarabman said:

Yeah, there's a problem with how SoD operates (how it bypasses your mitigation if you have a weaker char next to you), how dailies and ITC can multistack power levels (working on buffed power levels; even though the DC and OP have been nerfed re: powersharing as they wanted to control runaway power levels) and how Bloodbath double dips in Invisible Infiltrator among other double dipping buffs (e.g. Infiltrator's Action off-hand bonus), but there's no mention of even saying that's not WAI. Smh

Not to mention their immunity frames: Back-to-back Bloodbaths (as there is no cooldown to this daily), Dodge Rolls, Stealth, ITC. Better control with their Smoke Bomb than many classes (as it doesn't suffer from diminishing returns) And the fact they can min/max Power/Recovery (to have near constant uptime of encounters) as they have 100% Crit in stealth and don't need Defense/Deflect due to their immunity frames. Gosh, and they wanna target the OP? Again!? Even after the Temp HP nerf? Where most OPs are already sitting ducks with TRs? Even when they said Shielding Strike is currently working as intended! LOL!!!
    scarabman said:

Shielding Strike is currently working the way it was designed.

There are no pallies on the 1st page of the PC PvP leaderboard, while there are 9 (out of 20) TRs. Favoured class indeed.

@scarabman why don't you fix the class imbalance where it actually exists and not something which is already disadvantaged?
    Post edited by vordayn on
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    if they fix it i will just get 1shoted whenever sw appears on my screen, its ok i guess i didnt want to use my tab anyways. take it all away.
  • icexnineicexnine Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    terylion said:

I hope they ignore these issues, nerf shielding strike, and buff those poor trs :wink:
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    SW and OP a long history, following ACT logs it´s ping pong multiprocs from Protectors Call and Feytouched.
    Does it also happen without Feytouched slotted on warlock?
    The encounter or powers that trigger the effect may be WB/Spheres or anything else but the damageloop I recognize are procs from Feytouched enchant on that OP (damage arround 200-300) and Protectors call on my side (10-20)
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    its super hard to test, becouse i drop from 200fps to 10fps against warlock, but i had multiple ocasions of getting hit 200-300times for 200 ( 1000 ) by feytouched resulting in me missing alot of hp, some bug going on with sacred weapon encounter too so i cant use that, so we cant use SW that i love to use in both pvp and pve, if sw is on enemy team i have to spam shieldstrike or else i can insta die, do you think i wanna stand still and swing my axe for 5s to not instantly die? i would rather buff/debuff/cap/heal do other things. As for shielding? i honestly think its fine way to counter all the reflect,dots and other small hits without much hinderance to big hits, kinda feels bad when you get ganged up by people without armpen and they just pewpew you to death with their 20% damage, if you stack armpen shielding strike isnt that big of a problem.