test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Night Terror added to Wiki

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
Do you know how difficult it is to get the Night Terror to pose for a picture? LOL

This is where to add any more information about the Night Terror. If you have additional information, and just don't want to edit the wiki yourself, please post it here and I can do it myself.

Thanks!
wb-cenders.gif
Post edited by sandukutupu on

Comments

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    "then selects a lone player as his prey."
    Sometimes the 'lone' player is part of big mob of players at Yester Hill and we get to see (super)natural selection at work.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Thanks for taking the time to update the wiki.
    I aim to misbehave
  • pawrobpawrob Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    You can add that we can found him in castle ravenloft and get title "night terror"
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Thanks, I added his appearance in the epic dungeon "Castle Ravenloft" I can't find the title "Night Terror" listed in the game Achievements Journal. If you, or someone you know could has the "Night Terror" title, I will add that to what it drops. I just want to confirm that it reads "Night Terror" and not the one from the Journal for killing him "Terror Terror".

Also I changed "...selects a lone player as his prey." to "...selects a single player as his prey. However is known to attack the player in areas where multiple players are present.". I agree the phrases "a lone and alone" are just going to confuse the reader.

Thanks! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Vistani Merchant and Night Terror is same person, like Dr Jerkyl and Mr Hyde version.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    wylonus said:

Vistani Merchant and Night Terror is same person, like Dr Jerkyl and Mr Hyde version.

Gadzooks @wylonus, I think you've got it! Now the question remains, which is the more annoying?
    edited August 2018
    I seriously doubt the Night Terror would be selling us items to defeat himself. If I were to guess, the Night Terror once was his young brother Sergei whom Strahd killed, after a fit of jealousy and a blood pact with death. Maybe the developers didn't give it too much thought and said, "Hey! Let's make a boogieman, who can one shot the best of players, and have him randomly appear at night in different places.".

I don't recall anyone like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in all of Ravenloft. However Ravenloft has a version of Dr. Frankenstein in Lamordia. Dr. Victor Mordenheim is the dark lord of their domain, a man who appears to be 30 but is over 100, created a monster from human flesh. Both he and his creation stopped aging as they are linked and suffer as being the dark lords of Lamordia. Out of all the dark lords who rule the various lands of Ravenloft... Strahd von Zarovich is probably the kindest. The poison fog layer might keep people in Barovia, but it also keeps a lot of nasty things out.

Note: This information is not found in game, "Secrets of the Dread Realm: Ravenloft" published by Wizards of the Coast 2001
    Post edited by sandukutupu on
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer

Thanks, I added his appearance in the epic dungeon "Castle Ravenloft" I can't find the title "Night Terror" listed in the game Achievements Journal. If you, or someone you know could has the "Night Terror" title, I will add that to what it drops. I just want to confirm that it reads "Night Terror" and not the one from the Journal for killing him "Terror Terror".

Also I changed "...selects a lone player as his prey." to "...selects a single player as his prey. However is known to attack the player in areas where multiple players are present.". I agree the phrases "a lone and alone" are just going to confuse the reader.

Thanks!

Achievement title reads Night Terror. Screenshot is from one of my test characters:

Thanks, I plan to see what they have on him for powers, and add those as well. However, that would require me actually maintain a battle with the Night Terror, instead of fleeing or using a lantern. LOL
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer

Thanks, I plan to see what they have on him for powers, and add those as well. However, that would require me actually maintain a battle with the Night Terror, instead of fleeing or using a lantern. LOL

*summons @balanced#2849 *
    Thanks @balanced#2849 , this help out a lot! <3
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    If you run fast enough, you can outrun it - or at least keep it working hard enough to catch up to you to make it back to town. I did this last weekend on my paladin (yes, paladin!). I ran from the Howling Hills where the heroic encounter spawns near Fell Bridge (the tree trunk over the river) all the way back to town. (My paladin has an 8050 movement bonus: 20.1%.)
  • kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    Night Terror always drops 25 Barovian Coins, 50 Seals of the Brave and 5 Omens (unless your weekly limit is reached), Vistani Wanderer also works on him and gives 1 additional Omen and 3 additional Barovian Coins. It also can drop a random blue card for the Barovia trading card game and a random poster. I'm not sure if he drops some refinement points or if this is only my Wanderers Fortune or Dragonhort enchantment.

Only the player and his party that deals the most damage can get these items, everyone else just gets nothing. I don't like the way this works out, feels a bit like the beginning of Rex hunt in Soshenstar. Is this intentional @balanced#2849?

Also it should be mentioned in the Wiki that he disappears when you get to close to town or any camp fire or use the Vampire Kits lantern and you'll never be selected as his target as long as you're in a safe place.

The last thing is that he can't attack you while Yester Hill is up and you're within the stone ring of that hill, he just waits outside as a shimmery ghost and can't be attacked until you step outside or the encounter is over.

Hope this helps a bit to complete the Wiki entry.
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User

If you run fast enough, you can outrun it - or at least keep it working hard enough to catch up to you to make it back to town. I did this last weekend on my paladin (yes, paladin!). I ran from the Howling Hills where the heroic encounter spawns near Fell Bridge (the tree trunk over the river) all the way back to town. (My paladin has an 8050 movement bonus: 20.1%.)

I outran it a few times.

One time, from howling through Fell bridge and it did not cross for a long while. Then, it decided to cross.
    Another time, howling hill back to the river crossing. It picked another player who innocently ran to its direction when I was running away from it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    kisakee said:

Only the player and his party that deals the most damage can get these items, everyone else just gets nothing. I don't like the way this works out, feels a bit like the beginning of Rex hunt in Soshenstar. Is this intentional @balanced#2849?

This explains why my wife and I didn't get anything from killing it once when another group showed up and helped us take it down. I think it's total HAMSTER and they should change that. If you did damage to it, you should get the reward, even if you didn't do much damage to it.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I have seen him right up at Thornspur. He can definitely enter the stone circle.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • argroschargrosch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 84 Arc User

kisakee said:

This explains why my wife and I didn't get anything from killing it once when another group showed up and helped us take it down. I think it's total HAMSTER and they should change that. If you did damage to it, you should get the reward, even if you didn't do much damage to it.
    This!
    Seriously ist frustrating when you´re Fighting the Terror for a while, trying not to die but kill it. And then an TR (or someone else, doesn´t really matter) shows up doing a lot more Damage than yourself and you are not going to get anything from it.
    I´ve been playing games where only the last hit gets the Points which just results in kill steals… When I started to play Neverwinter the loot System was one of the things I really liked. Because you could help someone that seems to struggle with an enemy ( which many People do with the Night Terror) without fearing to steal his loot.
    So it would be great if everyone that helped killing it would get a reward for it and not only the one dealing most Damage. And some special reward you can get if lucky to make it worth fighting it. (Night Terrors Cape or something like that)

RIP Foundry

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    I don't think it is about who gave the most damage or I don't understand how damage is calculated.

My OP solo it once and won. He got the gear. That is fine.
    The same OP solo it again and down the the bar to 30% before somebody jumped to help. He did not get anything but downing 70% should mean he did the most damage.
    My GWF jumped into an end of the fight (when one other character was fighting) and got the gear. Although he can be strong, he could not be the one who got the most damage because the bar was under 50% already.

I wonder if it is who did the final blow get the gear.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Night terror did shows up on Yester Hill event. his known spots share same spawn spots as Vistani Merchant.

one pet peeve about killing night terror, i didnt like RNG factor or whoever make killing blow usaully get better rewards than who been fighting since started. it seem not right or even pass 50% down. reward loot need some rework or dump that RNG out.
    @kisakee yes that does help, I added to the header; "The Night Terror disappears when the player is close to town, any lit campfire, or uses the Morninglord's Lantern from the Vampire Hunter Kit. Players within the confines of village, Vistani Camp, or a lit campfire are safe from the selection process."
    I added the items in drops... although the most he dropped for me (Yester Hill group) was 2 coppers. I was beginning to think Strahd wasn't paying him very well. ;) Thank you!

@argrosch @plasticbat and @wylonus I know the cult dragons work like that, you have to kill a lot more than 50, before you get the title "Dragon Slayer". I was able to test the kill shot theory by soloing the dragon Charthraxis. I don't know if the kill shot rule applies to Night Terror. I never cared much for kill shot rules, because a large group could do superior damage to the dragon and some AFK IL 14K could just wait for the health to lower and snipe him. It may be good for the title, but virtual rewards should go to the group, superior damage player, or both.
    wb-cenders.gif