test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User

And it is therefore missing the best race in DnD. Anyone know if they've discussed adding them?

My feedback is that this game doesn't have gnomes, and yet it should, and that is a grave injustice.

I could easily get behind a Gnome for sure!
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Gnome is my number 1 choice for the next race in game, that or Goliath. We already have both as npcs, so the skins exist.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    There are a multitude of races not available. Such as;
    • Warforged are a rare race of humanoid constructs constructed through powerful rituals.
    • Aasimar, are human-based planetouched, native outsiders that hold in their blood some good, otherworldly characteristics.
    • Genasi are planetouched humans, infused with the power of the elements.
    • Shadar-kai are human-like in appearance, but under the influence of the Shadowfell.
    • Yuan-ti halfbloods would greatly vary in appearance but the purebloods appear mostly human with minor reptile features.
    • Centaur is probably out of the question since that would be like having a "built in" mount?
    While some of theses can be made using the custom options, they will always say "Human" and not the actually intended race. You have a history tab which can be read, this allows you to make up facts about your characters. For example; if you made your Gnome but used a halfling, the History tab could say, "Often mistaken for a halfling, My Dog Bob is actually a gnome. Blah blah blah..."

Just be happy they have options available to you. LOL

I do this quite often as most of my characters are either not heroes or have their own agenda. Have fun!
    wb-cenders.gif
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I'm rather surprised we don't have gnomes. We have every other common demihuman race except gnomes, and they go back to near the beginning. They are generally one of the less popular races however, but the people that like them REALLY like them.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Gnomes are the only core race from the PH not playable. They were not a playable race in 4th however, which is when the game was designed and when the last new race was added, dragonborn. However, that release was 4 years ago. (the exact anniversary is 4 days from now)

I'm sure that if the studio had any interest in releasing a new race, or decides to so in the future, gnomes would be on the ahem, short list. At the current time, new race doesn't look like it is even on the radar.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • award9award9 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 87 Arc User
    I chose Gnome a long time ago and was surprised when I didn't see them as a playable race. I didn't know 4th edition didn't have them as a playable race.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I don't have the 4th edition rules, but Indi remember that when they were current, people asking for gnomes were told they weren't a playable race.

One thing I noticed, though. There is at least 1 character in Neverwinter who is (probably) a gnome. If your guild summons a gemcutter, she is appears to be very elflike yet it noticeably shorter than any elf. Gnomes are very often gemcutters. 5th edition even lists a favorite gem of each gnome subtype. She was added last year, so don't take it as a sign of a new race but it does seem interesting to me, at least.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • morgrim66morgrim66 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    quspiv said:

Vampires or werewolf.

Vampires and Werewolves aren't races, they are diseases.
    Morria Grim 16,133 DC
    Morgrim Orcbane 16,530 CW
    Bloodlust Barbie 15,646 OP Tank
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    One race I would not mind, Want to see a full Orc race anyways.

Ondonti

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ondonti

The members of the race known as the ondontis are close cousins to orcs. However, the ondontis live as peaceful farmers and gatherers, taking only what they need from the land to survive. In outward appearances, ondontis resemble orcs.

Ondontis are nearly the opposite of orcs: peaceful, kind, and dependable. To the ondontis, peace, harmony with one’s environment, and a full family life are what is important in life. Ondonti clerics are revered and their guidance is followed because of their majestic wisdom and close relationship to Eldath. Ondontis reproduce at the same rate as orcs, but have attained a longer lifespan than orcs (60 years) as a result of internal cultural harmony and applied curative divine magic. The mortality rate of infant ondontis is nearly zero, due to close monitoring of pregnant ondontis and infants by the clergy.

They could add them as a race after they add in Gnomes. I think it would be awesome.
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    A Satyr.....still asking for Greek/Roman mode!
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Gnomes were in 4E, they were in the Player's Handbook 2 along with Half-Orcs.
  • eshkull#7182 eshkull Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tabaxi

And

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Genasi

And please no gnomes, we already have Halflings, I don't want to step on a gnome and have to scrape it off my boots. Add something with intrique and mystery. Not a smaller than halfling being.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    I think it'd be cool to have a new variant of Humans belonging to a more royal/powerful group (like the Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn) with +3% Damage as Racial Bonus. That way there'll be fewer devils running around :p
    FrozenFire
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i saw "satyr", would be great for bard.
    edited August 2018
    \
    ddasani1 said:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tabaxi

And

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Genasi

And please no gnomes, we already have Halflings, I don't want to step on a gnome and have to scrape it off my boots. Add something with intrique and mystery. Not a smaller than halfling being.

Gnomes can be a bit taller then Halfings they can be taller then halflings. Halflings thus would be shorter then some gnomes.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Gnome
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    So if Neverwinter introduces a new character race, is anyone {else} going to have to delete an existing character to play that new race character?

What about all of the "Bound to Character" guildmarks, retraining tokens, companion training tokens, refinement points, ardent coins, celestial coins companions, mounts, black ice, voinblod and other non transferable items like seals, campaign currency, lockbox currency, PVP currency, event currencies, VIP rewards and “other currencies” that character has accumulated... all of those items will just be gone, deleted with any character deleted to make room for a new race character.

Personally I would really like to see Cryptic introduce a new race character for Neverwinter...

But after doing a cursory inventory of my existing characters I’m wondering which of my existing characters will be the least painful to delete - along with all of their accumulated non transferable ‘stuff’ - so that I can roll a new race character.

Crossing my fingers for something like a “Change Race” token that allows one characters accumulated the BoP, Bound to Character items will just be transferred to a new race character instead of facing the prospect of losing everything that character has accumulated.
    DD~
    Well there might be people wanting to play playable vampires because of Ravenloft there is a race they can add.
    Vryloka
    http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Vryloka

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Vryloka

• chidionchidion Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    .... deleted ....

Post edited by chidion on
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    dionchi said:

So if Neverwinter introduces a new character race, is anyone {else} going to have to delete an existing character to play that new race character?

Crossing my fingers for something like a “Change Race” token that allows one characters accumulated the BoP, Bound to Character items will just be transferred to a new race character instead of facing the prospect of losing everything that character has accumulated.

I see the rename and race change tokens are now working... so no worries ~

DD~
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    I'd rather they spent some time doing the minor rebalancing of races that's been needed for a long time than bothering us with some flavor-of-the-month thing. Some races have useless campfire recovery bonuses while others have useful 10% deflect chance or control resist, etc. All racial bonuses should be either equally useful or equally useless.
  • rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User

I'd rather they spent some time doing the minor rebalancing of races that's been needed for a long time than bothering us with some flavor-of-the-month thing. Some races have useless campfire recovery bonuses while others have useful 10% deflect chance or control resist, etc. All racial bonuses should be either equally useful or equally useless.

Agreed. I get giving human's an advantage in that it keeps that race's numbers up and in D&D they are suppose to be the predominate race at the time in the land. But certain races get pigeon holed into certain classes just because a stat.

Agreed. I get giving human's an advantage in that it keeps that race's numbers up and in D&D they are suppose to be the predominate race at the time in the land. But certain races get pigeon holed into certain classes just because a stat.
    I've never understood why some people insist on races and classes being "balanced"...

In the game, in life and in just about every aspect there are certain advantages and disadvantages based on the decisions and the choices we make.

For instance a mage, cleric or ranger should never be as tanky or melee proficient as a guardian fighter, a paladin or a great weapons fighter and inversely those latter characters shouldn't be as efficient with healing or spells or ranged attacks as the former characters.

For as long as I've played D&D games, many decades, the best and most effective way to quest has always been with a "balanced party" - not insisting player "characters be balanced".

Certain player racial characteristics have always had advantages and disadvantages due to their unique makeup... Giving a Human or an Elf the strength or resistance of a Half Orc, or a Half Ork or Human the dexterity of a halfling just seems wrong to me somehow and definitely not in keeping with the precepts of the Dungeons and Dragons tenants as I've always understood it.

Why not allow fighters to sling spells, or rangers to wear heavy plate mail for the sake of "balance"?

Players choose their character class and race based on the strengths and abilities they have to make a more effective, playable character, but ultimately it is their choice - if a player wants increased deflection or resistance control they should choose a class and race with those attributes - not choose a class and race without those characteristics then complain because they don't have them...

My 2¢

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    While I've always been very supportive of the idea of a Gnome in game, as it would be great to see another similar to a Halfling, simply because Gnomes have a rich long history in D&D.

I've always wondered how cool it would be to see Cat people, more similar to what we have in ESO or other fantasy games with Elves, Wizard's, and the such... ...after all Wizard's even themselves introduced Catfolk in 2e and while I don't know how popular they were, or if they've made any resurgence since that time. There are largest based or very similar to the Tabaxi also originally introduced in 2E we see. Both are still 'rumored' to exist all around Faerûn even in 5E for sure.

My goodness what a cool image from Wizard's of the Coast:

Image above a link to:
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76978_CN.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfolk
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabaxi
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Vampires? Sure...WTH not. Though if they're introduced, they should 'sparkle' instead of burst into flames during daylight. :p
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • kingkevin#3240 kingkevin Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Aasimar or aarakocra, just want something with wings and cool looking
  • omega13#2190 omega13 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    ddasani1 said:
    This would be such a splendid addition to the game! If/when implemented, I hope that Tabaxi are not restricted to lockboxes.

Thanks!
    edited September 2018

Vampires? Sure...WTH not. Though if they're introduced, they should 'sparkle' instead of burst into flames during daylight. :p

Except vampires aren't a "race", at best they may be considered a "class" of character since just about any playable race can be 'turned' into a vampire, (ditto lycanthrope or Werewolf)...

Then there is the whole list of class characteristics associated with these choices...

Like vampires having diminished speed and strength during daylight (if not turned to dust by prolonged exposure to the sun) and vampires only obtain their full class attributes at dusk...

How many day time/nigh time areas do people recall seeing in Neverwinter regions, so far as I know Barovia is the only region with that option.

• kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    dionchi said:

dionchi said:

I see the rename and race change tokens are now working... so no worries ~

Or you can buy extra character slots through the Zen store. They are pretty cheap, comparatively speaking. TBH - given how much added $$$ Cryptic makes off extra alts I'm surprised they charge anything for them.