test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strahd's vocabulary is just a little extensive - he uses a word that cannot possibly exist in D&D.

lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
When you hit the Castle Ravenloft queue and cross onto the bridge, Strahd says:

[7/30 20:42] [NPC] Strahd Von Zarovich: And you've brought that antediluvian Sunsword with you.
[7/30 20:42] [NPC] And you've brought that antediluvian Sunsword with you.

There's a problem here: "antediluvian" is not just a fancy synonym for "old", it literally means "predating the deluge", referencing "dating from before Noah's Flood in the Book Of Genesis, Chapter 7"[1]

That's a reference that doesn't exist in D&D. No Forgotten Realms character would ever exclaim "Jesus Christ!" when startled.

This is like using "a bowie knife" in a world without Jim Bowie and The Battle Of The Alamo, or "boycott" and "quisling" without Charles Boycott or Vidkun Quisling. Rich as Croesus. The Midas touch. Old as Methuselah. You can't have a pyrrhic victory without Pyrrhus. You can't cross a rubicon or have "a roman nose" in a world without Rome. You can't accomplish a herculean feat or have a sisyphean task without ancient Greece. Referring to a scandal as something-gate can't happen before 1972 or in a world without Richard Nixon.

My point is, something can't be "antediluvian" in a world without the established concept of Noah's Flood. It's the wrong word. It's an editing mistake.

(I totally don't expect you to fix this or re-record the audio or anything. I'm just hoping that *next* time you'll watch for this kind of thing.)

[1]: It's also a Vampire: the Masquerade reference[2], like 90% of the other things in Castle Ravenloft. But it's still wrong.
[2]: In v:tm it also means "from before Noah's Flood"

Comments

• wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

When you hit the Castle Ravenloft queue and cross onto the bridge, Strahd says:

[7/30 20:42] [NPC] Strahd Von Zarovich: And you've brought that antediluvian Sunsword with you.
    [7/30 20:42] [NPC] And you've brought that antediluvian Sunsword with you.

There's a problem here: "antediluvian" is not just a fancy synonym for "old", it literally means "predating the deluge", referencing "dating from before Noah's Flood in the Book Of Genesis, Chapter 7"[1]

That's a reference that doesn't exist in D&D. No Forgotten Realms character would ever exclaim "Jesus Christ!" when startled.

This is like using "a bowie knife" in a world without Jim Bowie and The Battle Of The Alamo, or "boycott" and "quisling" without Charles Boycott or Vidkun Quisling. Rich as Croesus. The Midas touch. Old as Methuselah. You can't have a pyrrhic victory without Pyrrhus. You can't cross a rubicon or have "a roman nose" in a world without Rome. You can't accomplish a herculean feat or have a sisyphean task without ancient Greece. Referring to a scandal as something-gate can't happen before 1972 or in a world without Richard Nixon.

My point is, something can't be "antediluvian" in a world without the established concept of Noah's Flood. It's the wrong word. It's an editing mistake.

(I totally don't expect you to fix this or re-record the audio or anything. I'm just hoping that *next* time you'll watch for this kind of thing.)

[1]: It's also a Vampire: the Masquerade reference[2], like 90% of the other things in Castle Ravenloft. But it's still wrong.
    [2]: In v:tm it also means "from before Noah's Flood"

1) Ravenloft pre-dates V:TM
    2)V:TM is set in the real world, which is why "Noah's Flood" is a thing there.
    3) There are no floods in Faerun?
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

1) Ravenloft pre-dates V:TM
    2)V:TM is set in the real world, which is why "Noah's Flood" is a thing there.
    3) There are no floods in Faerun?

1) Ravenloft the D&D setting, true. Ravenloft the Neverwinter module, no. And there's a ton of v:tm references in the "Castle Ravenloft" dungeon from the video game Neverwinter
    2) Correct. And also why Strahd shouldn't use the word: he's not from our world.
    3) There are presumably floods in Faerun. There is no apocalyptic historical flood used as a marker for "long long ago". Having a word that meant "from before the Spellplague" or "from before the Time Of Troubles" and using that as a shorthand for "long ago", that would work..... except Strahd still wouldn't use it because he's not from Faerun either.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    lowjohn said:

You can't cross a Rubicon or have "a roman nose" in a world without Rome.

Well, you don't actually need Rome to be able to cross the Rubicon. All you really need is a river with that name and someone on the other side who opposes your crossing. If we want to get really pedantic (since I'm already on the road to Hell anyway....), you really only need a river with that name; having someone opposing your crossing is really optional.

I'll just see myself out now.... :D:D:D

lowjohn said:

Well, you don't actually need Rome to be able to cross the Rubicon. All you really need is a river with that name and someone on the other side who opposes your crossing. If we want to get really pedantic (since I'm already on the road to Hell anyway....), you really only need a river with that name; having someone opposing your crossing is really optional.

But "crossing the Rubicon" has a meaning larger than simply crossing a river. It is to transgress a taboo, to take an unthinkable step, to thoroughly violate a norm in a way that can never be fully recovered from.

And it doesn't have that meaning in a world where Ceasar bringing his armies across the Rubicon and into Rome wasn't a violation of the absolute rule that the armies stayed out of the capital, to prevent a general from using his armies to perform a coup. Which Caesar then immediately did.

• cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    "Vicious" actually means "to have many vices"... i.e. "a vicious man - prone to gambling, cavorting, drinking, and gluttony...". Language is fluid, though, so while 'antediluvian' might literally translate to 'before the deluge', it has come to be accepted as a synonym for 'old', just as vicious no longer has any bearing on a persons vices.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    By this logic you'd have to disallow something like... idk 2/3rd of the English language as it depends on real world cultural references and/or real world languages that doesn't exist in Faerun. Like that very infamous bottle of Chateau du le Stomp. There is no France on Faerun or in Barovia, so obviously you can't have French words either. Or bagels, or chocolate or a whole bunch of other things.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    Oh and speaking of Stradh. As you so aptly pointed out he isn't from Faerun, in fact we do not know what world he was originally from, so it is quite possible he's from a world where the word antediluvian makes perfect sense.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    I will admit that the adjective "antediluvian" is very different in flavor from a commonly used one like "vicious" or a loan word like "chateau" (the worst part about the latter example is that the item name is really bad French).

It was a little jarring to have that somewhat obscure and very biblical-sounding word pop up in context of this game, but Strahd's voice actor sells his gothic vampire vibe so well that I didn't even catch it until after the first run-through. It's an odd word choice for the context, but hey, at least a lot of people learned a new word :P
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited July 2018
    lowjohn said:

There's a problem here: "antediluvian" is not just a fancy synonym for "old", it literally means "predating the deluge", referencing "dating from before Noah's Flood in the Book Of Genesis, Chapter 7"

Thank you for sharing that feedback. I actually just finished writing 1950's dialog so very much understand how this particular word choice is jarring. The team has seen your post and passed it along.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

lowjohn said:

But "crossing the Rubicon" has a meaning larger than simply crossing a river. It is to transgress a taboo, to take an unthinkable step, to thoroughly violate a norm in a way that can never be fully recovered from.

And it doesn't have that meaning in a world where Ceasar bringing his armies across the Rubicon and into Rome wasn't a violation of the absolute rule that the armies stayed out of the capital, to prevent a general from using his armies to perform a coup. Which Caesar then immediately did.

I very well understand the meaning and context of "crossing the Rubicon". I certainly did not need a lecture from you! My entire post was supposed to be funny and a joke -- and definitely not serious. Get over yourself.
  • bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    What about in the lore when Strahd collected various texts from all over by way of his servants. Is it that odd that Semitic mysticism might actually make it to his library? The guy has been reading thousands of texts for presumably hundreds of years. I mean.. I used to play VTM too but to think Strahd hasn't read something is more of an insult to his intelligence and curiosity. All he does is read magical tomes collect taxes and pine for a dead girl who doesn't like him.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Thank you for sharing that feedback. I actually just finished writing 1950's dialog so very much understand how this particular word choice is jarring. The team has seen your post and passed it along.

are you serious....all that is broken in this game and that gets your attention?

rather than busting a nut over a word in dialogue the usage of which is at worst debatable and at best meaningless how about trying to fix equipment that doesn't stack properly, things missing from inventories, broken audio, quests that break, raq's that are driving people further away from the game...etc etc.

here's a suggestion, all you devs (or whatever you call yourselves) throw away the BIS gear you got for free and try working through the game from scratch; perhaps then you will get a grip on reality, what is important and what really needs fixing as a priority.

to the OP; with the best will in the world, if something so trivial bugs you so much try lowering the volume at that point instead of coming on forum and giving people more excuses to not fix what really needs fixing....

• theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User

are you serious....all that is broken in this game and that gets your attention?

rather than busting a nut over a word in dialogue the usage of which is at worst debatable and at best meaningless how about trying to fix equipment that doesn't stack properly, things missing from inventories, broken audio, quests that break, raq's that are driving people further away from the game...etc etc.

Yeah, why waste that precious developer knowledge of the guy who voices Strahd in this, he's got a game to fix!!!!

What about in the lore when Strahd collected various texts from all over by way of his servants. Is it that odd that Semitic mysticism might actually make it to his library? The guy has been reading thousands of texts for presumably hundreds of years. I mean.. I used to play VTM too but to think Strahd hasn't read something is more of an insult to his intelligence and curiosity. All he does is read magical tomes collect taxes and pine for a dead girl who doesn't like him.

Possible, but I suspect including a KJV in Strahd's library would be fraught enough from a game-maker's perspective without him having been so obsessed with it that he's picked up a neologism from 1600 years later in a different language regarding it, AND expects the people he's speaking to to understand a literary allusion to an obscure book from another universe. :)

(I mean, we do understand, or we can look it up and understand, but that's *us*, out here.)

As for the people being all "why do you care"? It's an immersion thing. It's like someone being described as "shell-shocked" in a world that *does not have artillery shells*. I don't expect them to CHANGE it, which is why this is in the feedback forum, not the bug reporting one. If the team keeps an eye out for this kind of thing in the future, I'm happy, I've gotten everything I want from here.
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User

here's a suggestion, all you devs (or whatever you call yourselves) throw away the BIS gear you got for free and try working through the game from scratch; perhaps then you will get a grip on reality, what is important and what really needs fixing as a priority.

to the OP; with the best will in the world, if something so trivial bugs you so much try lowering the volume at that point instead of coming on forum and giving people more excuses to not fix what really needs fixing....

Maybe because the team that works on dialogues, audio and translations is not the same team that works on bugs and game desgin...
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    ilithyn said:

By this logic you'd have to disallow something like... idk 2/3rd of the English language as it depends on real world cultural references and/or real world languages that doesn't exist in Faerun. Like that very infamous bottle of Chateau du le Stomp. There is no France on Faerun or in Barovia, so obviously you can't have French words either. Or bagels, or chocolate or a whole bunch of other things.

I think you hit the NAIL on the head. English can be a lot less precise that some languages. I mean we often have (i), (ii), (iii), if not four, five, sometimes even six or seven various different ways to interpret the meaning of a word choice. :)

Yet it certainly does make the debates on the forums a lot more interesting at times. Also why I can sometimes chuckle as I see two people arguing about something, despite the fact I recognize they are actually agreeing with each other. o:)

Still I think I agree with one or your earlier comments @ilithyn as even "Webster's" or several other Dictionary's like "Oxford" as you denoted "idk 2/3rd of the English" as there being a 2nd or 3rd meanings if not far more likely interpretation for the references.

[2] from Websters:
    ▪ made, evolved, or developed a long time ago ·that antediluvian relic known as a slide rule
    ▪ extremely primitive or outmoded ·an antediluvian prejudice ·antediluvian in his politics

[2] from Oxford:
    ▪ (humorous) Ridiculously old-fashioned.

So I generally always try to interpret things using the widest latitude in the game / forums. I generally find that results in me gaining the best understanding regardless if it's something posted from Cryptic or posted by an individual User.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @lowjohn I don't mean to ridicule your thread, but akin to a debate brought up by an atheist on another MMO saying the spell "Meek Shall Inherit" was cramming religion down his throat. Meanwhile he had no problem with all the religion based monsters; Djinn, Naga, Demons, or Titans in the game. First, the Forgotten Realms exists on the world Toril and not Earth. Toril was known less commonly as Abeir-Toril. But there have been; Earth elementals, Weapons of Earth, etc. in the game. Just to make it all true to form we have to correct and replace all of those Earth with dirt or rock?

I would be upset if Stradh said, "And you've brought that groovy lightsabre with you.... cool!"

The people on Toril don't even speak English, so couldn't we just say it is a poor translation? They speak Deep Speech, Primordial, Sylvan, Auran, Draconic, etc. but not one word of English.
    wb-cenders.gif

@lowjohn I don't mean to ridicule your thread, but akin to a debate brought up by an atheist on another MMO saying the spell "Meek Shall Inherit" was cramming religion down his throat. Meanwhile he had no problem with all the religion based monsters; Djinn, Naga, Demons, or Titans in the game. First, the Forgotten Realms exists on the world Toril and not Earth. Toril was known less commonly as Abeir-Toril. But there have been; Earth elementals, Weapons of Earth, etc. in the game. Just to make it all true to form we have to correct and replace all of those Earth with dirt or rock?

I would be upset if Stradh said, "And you've brought that groovy lightsabre with you.... cool!"

The people on Toril don't even speak English, so couldn't we just say it is a poor translation? They speak Deep Speech, Primordial, Sylvan, Auran, Draconic, etc. but not one word of English.

Ridicule away, I welcome being ridiculous.

But I think, while mocking me, you came up with the PERFECT analogy: Strahd referencing Genesis is EXACTLY as jarring as Strahd referencing Star Wars.

And sure, they don't speak English, but we see them translated to English. At the same time, it strikes me as odd to see this translation done making a cultural allusion that can't be in the source text. Strahd can't be saying "antediluvian" any more than Temba, his arms wide, with Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

Possible, but I suspect including a KJV in Strahd's library would be fraught enough from a game-maker's perspective without him having been so obsessed with it that he's picked up a neologism from 1600 years later in a different language regarding it, AND expects the people he's speaking to to understand a literary allusion to an obscure book from another universe. :)

(I mean, we do understand, or we can look it up and understand, but that's *us*, out here.)

As for the people being all "why do you care"? It's an immersion thing. It's like someone being described as "shell-shocked" in a world that *does not have artillery shells*. I don't expect them to CHANGE it, which is why this is in the feedback forum, not the bug reporting one. If the team keeps an eye out for this kind of thing in the future, I'm happy, I've gotten everything I want from here.
    No artillery, but lots of Dragon-turtles...
    tousseau said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antediluvian

2) a : made, evolved, or developed a long time ago ... an antediluvian automobile ... that antediluvian relic known as a slide rule
    b : extremely primitive or outmoded ... an antediluvian prejudice ... antediluvian in his politics

You skipped
    "1 : of or relating to the period before the flood described in the Bible"
    and also the origin/etymology section and also the fact that even M-W classifies it as "a Bible term" and includes links to "other Bible terms".

Nobody is contesting that a quisling is a traitor or that a bowie knife is a large hunting knife, or that antediluvian doesn't mean "old". The complaint is that it's a word that cannot exist in that world. If Lord Neverember complained that he was going broke in a New York minute, that would still be a problem even though M-W's only definition for the term is "instant" or "flash".
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    - by the by, it's not just Genesis and not just the ancient Hebrews. The belief in a worldwide catastrophic flood is very common among many ancient cultures across every major continent.

And there's nothing pedantic or ridiculous about this thread. This is the kind of input that good writers want and need. It's the kind of thing they slap themselves in the head over. Either because a word or phrase was used that shouldn't have been, or some kind of supporting context somewhere was left out.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Just to throw this out into left field...

Should any form of the word apocalypse be off the table too since it is a biblical term?

I get the point but many of our words are derived from religions and real word experiences. Where's the line drawn?

Should we not use "annihilate" because the word's origin is based on the decimated city of Annih (sp?)? No Annih means the word annihilation couldn't be a word outside of the real world?
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    I get that there should be a line between incredibly obvious real world references and fantasy text, but using words that are of ancient origin should be allowed. There has to be some slack somewhere, otherwise most of human language would be off limits. Also, the context and definitions of words change over time, often losing all connection to their origin amongst all but language or religious scholars. Is the word "victory" off limits because it comes from the Roman goddess Victoria?

However, I agree that using the word "antediluvian" was a mistake, but for very different reasons. It's not because it is a biblical reference, it's because most people would have to look it up to know what it means at all. If an average person has to keep a dictionary handy to understand what you're saying, you have failed at communicating clearly. I say this as someone who has struggled over the years to minimize my use of 6-8 syllable words in casual conversation.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Well I think we should go easy on @lowjohn I mean he clearly even acknowledged @sandukutupu point on a lighter note that "Strahd referencing Genesis is EXACTLY as jarring as Strahd referencing Star Wars". :)

Still I think Strahd was simple using the far more widely accepted definition being to a much earlier time. Even if the primary definition uses a metaphoric reference to a much earlier time from the Bible.

The word itself has no religious meaning itself, the metaphoric reference was simple to emphasize a much earlier time. Which is also why the second and far more common usage doesn't reference examples to make the point of old-fashioned or developed a long time ago. Both of those are very clear reference to something long in the past.

[2] from Websters:
    ▪ made, evolved, or developed a long time ago ·that antediluvian relic known as a slide rule
    ▪ extremely primitive or outmoded ·an antediluvian prejudice ·antediluvian in his politics

[2] from Oxford:
    ▪ (humorous) Ridiculously old-fashioned.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    regarding apocalypse and annihilate...
    I think those are both great examples.

Personally, I don't like it when words or phrases that hold real significance to a certain group of people are misused. I don't like seeing apocalypse used outside of its original context. I'm always shocked to hear people throwing around words like, 'holocaust', or comparing people to, 'hitler,' or, 'antichrist,' or hearing someone make fun of a congresswoman by calling her, 'Pocahontis.' Out of the correct context, certain words and names are just off limits to certain groups of people, and in my opinion, it's incredibly stupid, arrogant, irresponsible, and disrespectful to bandy them about.

Annihilate is a great example because it's a word that:
    - is already in common usage, so authors aren't very likely to get called out on it
    - has a number of synonyms that could easily be used in its place
    - isn't 'charged,' or meaningful to a group of people (that I know of)
    - it's original reference is pretty much buried beneath the modern usage

I honestly wouldn't have blinked at antediluvian except maybe to look it up, but it is a little different from those other two examples. Unlike words like annihilate, it may have multiple meanings, but it hasn't shaken free from its roots. And like pterias pointed out, that word's like a sledgehammer. You can't swing it around in a conversation without knocking someone's hat off.
  • l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Just as a point of order, the words "victory" and "annihilate" are not obscure cultural references to deities, but rather derived from very common Latin words. Nihil is Latin for "nothing", which is how English gets "annihilate", and the word "victory" is derived from a participle of the Latin verb vincere, which means "to conquer".

Good discussion, guys.

I'm always shocked to hear people throwing around words like, 'holocaust'

A classic example: 1959's "A Canticle For Leibowitz" uses "holocaust" in the original meaning, not as a reference to the Shoah, and it's very jarring to modern readers who ignore Mirriam-Webster's 1 and 2 definitions ("a sacrifice consumed by fire" and "a thorough destruction, especially through fire").

(I don't mean to bag on M-W specifically except that they were brought up as authoritative earlier and lol no even they will tell you not to do that, just ask them on twitter.)
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    I am sorry, but this is ridiculous. Witches and Vampires have been added in this module but they were part of the original game dating back to the 1990's. But Witches are from a religion practiced in our world. Witch came from 900 AD; Middle English wicche, Old English wicce or wicca.

Like @ilithyn said, we would have to toss out ⅔ of the language used. I can't see anyone getting bent out of shape over the origin, historic, or religious background of a simple word. Also do you even know what dimension, realm, planet, etc.. Strahd originally came from? Because in the lore states he is not native to Barovia. He came from another to conquer the region known as Barovia, and assumed lordship there.

Maybe his spaceship from Earth crashed there?! LOL

If this is an issue with mixing religion into D&D, too late, D&D lore is generally based on many different cultural religions and mythologies.
    If this is an issue as said, a word not from the Forgotten Realms, it is then a matter of translation and interpretations.
    wb-cenders.gif