test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

best dps companions and best dps defender companion

beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
edited October 2015 in PvE Discussion
I've tried quite a few companions. I like Phoera maxed out as a striker. I've been looking for the highest dps companion overall, I know that some situations some will be better than others but has anyone noticed any exceedingly higher dps when they are at max level? Also are there any defenders that do good dps? The character that I want that one for doesn't need the defender to tank but needs the dps with the aoe immunity that they get at max level. Is the cave bear or wild hunt rider any good at dps when you upgrade them? Or any others? I've played a long time but I see a ton of companions on the auction that I've never seen in game or heard of before so I thought I'd ask in case there's something exceptional out there that I'm unaware of.

Comments

• suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    A good, though incredibly rare tank: The Neverwinter Guard. One-per-account event award (or even giveaway?)...

DPS..

...you should clarify: Do you want your pet to actually do the damage, or do you want to get much DPS as the Master-&-Servant-team???
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    Not so much do the damage as I know that no pets compare to any player at 70 but do as much extra damage as possible. I solo a ton and I was wanting to try this out for my Paladin whose dps is lacking sometimes if I have to keep the shield up due to constant aoe's. I was just thinking, a master defender has aoe immunity so if one could add some decent dps then that would help, yes the pets die every 10 seconds too but they pop back up quick, If I get in a hard fight with a few aoe mobs in the same fight it can be ruff. If there's a striker that does great damage for a pet then that'd be cool too. I like pets, I know the improvements I can make to my gear and stuff but since I'll always have pets I wanted to try to get the best ones. It costs way to much upgrading to try them all out and I know that some that suck at low levels really start to shine after upgrading. I'll have to look for that Neverwinter Guard, it may be no trade and if not I'm sure it'll probably be super rare.
    Or maybe I need a controller to stun these aoe caster more but the controllers that I've tried tend to run away from attacks and pick up more agro from other mob groups.
    As Pally, your DPS (buggy listings notwithstanding) will probably never be all that great. To put it slightly differently: You're a Tank, so what you get in durability, you lose in DPS...

...later on, with campaign boons (e.g. Burning Guidance) this can be upped somewhat, but that won't really help your issue now.

One companion you might consider useful, though, is the Rimefire Golem (or the other one, there's two, and I cannot remember the name nor look it up right now due to maintenance... ...might be Earth or Rock or Iron):

Those are IIRC nominally Defenders, have a decent damage output - albeit with indecent knockback on their secondary attack :^/ - and their passive boon is + 500 (more when upgraded) Hitpoints. Knockback need not bother you - Relentless Avenger will draw everything back to you should you desire so, though you definitely should stash them in a party context. +HP - nothing you can do wrong there. And they're also reasonably survivable, as I've witnessed in many a skirmish (annoyed as I was by their Knockback, which is a failsafe lifesign for those companions... :^/ ). Also, their Knockback secondary will draw the aggro to them, away from you, so you might even get some relief when the pressure on you gets too high...

Maybe someone actually using one of these can help you more with their first-hand experience...
    thanks, I appreciate the input :)
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

A good, though incredibly rare tank: The Neverwinter Guard. One-per-account event award (or even giveaway?)

This is the first feedback I have heard about the Neverwinter Guard. I still have mine stored away but couldn't get any info on his tanking abilities or whether the active bonus was very good. My Archer runs with a defender companion for soloing and uses Wild Hunt Rider and more recently the Young Yeti ( I prefer the former).
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    lirithiel said:

A good, though incredibly rare tank: The Neverwinter Guard. One-per-account event award (or even giveaway?)

This is the first feedback I have heard about the Neverwinter Guard. I still have mine stored away but couldn't get any info on his tanking abilities or whether the active bonus was very good. My Archer runs with a defender companion for soloing and uses Wild Hunt Rider and more recently the Young Yeti ( I prefer the former).

Mine, too. Never could bring myself to definitely say "This is the char for him".

A friend (no longer on this game...) used his with his DC, that went nicely, he sang quite some praise. I've done an eLoL PUG where the NW Guard of an Rene CW tanked through the whole Lostmouth fight... 8^O

...though, now that you mention it: Might've been "glitched". I didn't know _that_ then...

Seen quite some in action in Dread Legion, where they did a decent job, too. Plus the passive is OK-ish. And (yeah, wrong thread) it has a super-fast attack rate => Bonding RS procs...
  • dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited November 2015

I've done an eLoL PUG where the NW Guard of an Rene CW tanked through the whole Lostmouth fight... 8^O

any of the defender pets at purple level can tank scorps/lostmauth in elol. since most of their damage is aoe and purple defenders are immune.

the earth archon makes a great tank has pretty good dps for a defender and a nice aoe attack. there are a few tank pets with aoe attacks. and since thats how my pali grinds stuff they make the most sense for what you're trying to do. the yeti is another as is the rimefire golem (he's got a long casting animation tho so isnt one of my "goto" pets)

• orangebangorangebang Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I know this is an old thread but for posterity and for dc or paladin who needs more dps through companions, try a blacksmith (just tested and his skill named hammer hit 122k on a dummy) or a cantankerous mage (repel - does strong aoe push attack that works even in barovia HE), each can hit over 100k damage in the hands of a toon with ok power share (I have 66k power unbuffed by templar's wrath when bondings are processed). To max damage though you'll need two other companions, a purple war boar for 100% critical severity and a purple damaran shepherd to increase crit chance of companion by 10%.
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    Maybe reflect companions would be better? Blacksmith the companion that dropped in VT and some more, so the mobs would kill themselves, while they attack you.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    This is three years old. Necro!
This discussion has been closed.