test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

leveling a tank prot paladin and have some questions

ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
edited April 2018 in The Citadel
it's my first time playing one and I would like to know if there are any broken mechanics or incorrect tooltips I should know about or maybe a link to a thread with that info?
im actually the gwf carry

Comments

• egoignis#2146 egoignis Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Not that i know.
  • veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    There is a lot of 'broken' mechanics both good and bad. Tooltips as well are notoriously misleading, or at the very least leave out a lot of detail that is important. If you want to find out where the info resides, there are several guides that have information like this split up. I had a small info dump on CoP a while back that is now outdated. Burnadin guide as well as other guides explain mechanics core to the build in detail as well. I am unaware of a complete collection/breakdown of all skills though.

If you are looking for the short and sweet of it, for leveling a protection paladin, let me list a few major ones.
    • Passive on Protection paladin is huge and boosts base power. (Base power counts towards power sharing, buffed power is just changing how much total power/damage you do). 10% of Max HP straight to damage means HP literally grants power/damage and this means you want to take damage while leveling as it makes for faster kills.
    • Templar's Wrath grants an insane amount of Temp HP, and makes you near immortal pre-70. I highly suggest you use it and if you would like more detail (more than I can provide off the top of my head), you can find that here.
    • Aura of Courage should never leave your bar and provides a solid portion of your damage. It converts HP into damage directly whenever you hit a mob with a non-flat damage source (pretty much everything pre level 70).
    • Burning Light triggers on hit effects 9 times if fully charged and it is an AoE. This means it procs Aura of Courage in an AoE in a damage over time like fashion. This makes Burning Light very useful early on for clearing normal mobs.
    • Divine Judgment is an amazing daily power and is actually an AoE. It only works on targets that are touching each other, but is great for bosses and super dense trash mobs.
    • Radiant Strike is a good at will for clearing trash out, nice spammable AoE with moderate damage.
    • Don't put points into Aura of Wrath, Aura of Solitude. Leave those for last.
    • Relentless avenger can be a good finisher, but shouldn't be used in group play. Keep in mind grouped up mobs are cleared faster than mobs that are split up. (See Burning Light + Aura of Courage combo)
    If you have anymore questions reach out to me on the forums or in-game. I'm sure others here on the forums are willing to help if you have specific questions.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    I remember a while ago Sharpedge had a list of OP feats that did not work. We get a heroic feat which is supposed to increase our divine energy regeneration but did not work, probably still doesn't. The bonus 10% to your DR does not show on the character sheet. Also Radiant Strike gives 5% ArP for 10 seconds, if you are short on ArP.
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    thanks guys, it may be late but this was pretty much what I needed. I have been enjoying the class and prot paragon a ton. one more big question though. tiger or harper bard summoned?
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    also I can not for the life of me get that burnadin guide to open up, it just gets stuck in the loading screen for whatever reason.
  • veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User

thanks guys, it may be late but this was pretty much what I needed. I have been enjoying the class and prot paragon a ton. one more big question though. tiger or harper bard summoned?

Harper Bard is a terrible companion overall compared to other debuffing options. Please see: This post by viraaal which holds a ton of math of and comparisons. Tiger is better than both of these listed, so I'd get a tiger or the like.

As for the Burnadin Guide not opening up, not sure why. It is just a normal 39 page google docs with a bunch of pictures. If you want something that might open up though you could try looking in the paladin section of MMO minds for Stella's build. It is quite similar, albeit with a ton more pictures!
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!