test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FPS Drop issue.

pedro2908926pedro2908926 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited July 2018 in Bug Reports (PC)
I cant play Neverwinter since last mod was released, i used to play with 60~50 FPS on minimal settings, after mod 14 my game gets 20~15 FPS... my on-demand option is disabled but the game keep patching over and over dont matter where i am, then my FPS drops a lil more, sometimes even freezes the whole game... when i cast skills my character starts to walk in slow-motion... ive seen lots of ppl here talking about that same problem and NOBODY gives some answer, this is going to be fixed? the requirements to play Neverwinter was changed? or i'll have to find another MMO to play?

Moderator edited title to be more clear.
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Try uninstalling the game then reinstalling it. your characters are on their servers so you won't lose anything.
    I aim to misbehave
  • pedro2908926pedro2908926 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    silence1x said:

Try uninstalling the game then reinstalling it. your characters are on their servers so you won't lose anything.

already tried everything that u could imagine brother.
    and no answer again.. as usual.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

Can you please post your computer specs. What version of Windows are you running, what kind of CPU and GPU do you have? Have you made sure that your graphics drivers are up to date via the manufacturers rather than Windows? You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    kreatyve said:

Can you please post your computer specs. What version of Windows are you running, what kind of CPU and GPU do you have? Have you made sure that your graphics drivers are up to date via the manufacturers rather than Windows? You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you.
    i play Neverwinter for about 5 years and NEVER had problem with FPS till this last mod, always played on minimal settings and my FPS was 60~55 or 40 on places with lots of graphics... my computer are not one of the bests, just an dual core, 4GB ram, Windows 7 SP1 64x (every drivers on my computer are 100% updated)... thats why i've asked if the requirements for NW was changed and my computer cant run the game anymore, or if is an bug in the client.

ps: i dont think that on-demand bug is an issue with my computer.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Yea even though >75% of players likely use 60 FPS I not even sure it's always using that all the time since MOD 14. I often notice (as it comes & goes - gets better then worse) at times when rendering Daily's, Encounters or At-Wils.

Since MOD 14 often I sometimes see their rendering of Combat Effects -then a .15s-.25s pause- render -then a .15s-.25s pause- render it's subtle yet can sometimes can occur quite frequently. Even some Armor Enchants like Barkshield which used to be completely fluid sometimes often display but have a lot of short but recognizable pauses, or Negation only displays one or two of the three shields you should see circling - if they even circling at all... >:)

This can continue for several minutes or even far longer for an half hour or more until you change a map or something. Sometimes changing the angle you're view at like forward to top down suddenly allows some things to REFRESH and be more current. While the pauses often are very short they don't make combat powers or some armor enchant visuals look fluid or free flowing like they always used to be!

Still the frequent pausing of Graphic combat FX for Dailys, Encounters, or At-Wils &/or Armor Enchantment visuals is subtle at times with with short .15s-.25s pauses but if there's a lot in a short period of time it's very noticable. It seems to come and go however so possibly a memory leak / graphic issue on something they changed in MOD 14? I'm wasn't sure it was entirely an FPS issue as the /fpsgraph 1 often shows me in the extremely low blues for me - but the constant pausing - of graphic combat powers seems really strange!

It never used to do this prior to MOD 14 - and I've seen others notice it too or comment on it.

One other thing I've sometimes noticed is weapons &/or armor enchants sometimes can switch to OFF even when ENABLED? I've also noticed while in River sometimes the ritual sites the Mini Bosses stand on, or where you donate MAGIC is sometimes not displayed there's just a big missing item on the map... So there is clearly a sort of Memory or something BUG going on possibly related to the above.

I use:
    Windows 10 with 12 GB of Ram
    EVGA NVidia 1050 Ti SC 4GB Video Card capable of 120 FPS
    Though my Monitor is what limits the display to only 60.

Still I've noticed many who have noticed strange things related to FPS issues since MOD 14 that were not there just previously.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • muratttimurattti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 417 Arc User
    1080 msi gtx
    16 gb corsair domi ram.
    4k 34 inc monitor
    z270 msi motherboard.

edited July 2018
    Hopefully this is something @nitocris83 is aware and is also brought to the attention of the Graphic's team to ensure it's working as best as it could or should. Aside from the one noted behavior (above) that seems to have improved a little bit there are other strange things I'm noticing.
  • gogu79gogu79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    yea its disabled from client and keep patch in game i have same problem too with on demand patching that thing with patching in game make allot of lag and i cant play game but seems nobody care if we can play game or not its already 2 updates and its still not solved who care about " When logging in from a new machine, the prompt to enter a code now consistently displays over the brightness settings interface." devs should focus to game be playable first time
    Dragons? On MY Way !!
    one more patch and nothing... maybe next year i'll be able to play NW again.
    edited August 2018
    YET in relation to my ABOVE Comment:

(UPDATED) I have since tried running through several fence posts, when I purposely set the FPS to 30 down from 60.

At 30 FPS the fence post seem to make 5-7 far sharper definitive and larger gaps with clear spaces in between; while previously at 60 FPS in MOD 13, you'd see so many they almost looked fluid.

Yet since running thru a lot more FENCE POSTS in Mod 14 to confirm, while it was still set at 60 FPS this is clearly a FPS issue; while 'sometimes' they still will appear FLUID, several other times they look worse than 30 FPS, sometimes not even seeing 1-3 far greater GAPS or transitions or not even seeing anything they just suddenly vanish all together.

I do strongly HOPE this issue along with the Bravaria/Ravenloft Instance BUG are two of the HIGHEST priority on the RADAR. I've also reported in the Barovia BUGS tracking thread many of these same issues on 1-2 occasions; along with several others I've noticed in HOPES that they will be resolved in the near to short term.

Still all we can do is PRAY to whom ever your character's god is and HOPE for a speedy resolution.

Windows 10 - 12 GB Ram
    EVGA NVidia 1050 Ti SC (Supercharged) 4 GB Video Ram.
    NVidia 397.93 Drivers worked FINE prior to MOD 14 on June 25th.

Yet on the 26th many rendering GAPS / FPS issues seemed to suddenly show up.
    Installed 398.36 -yesterday-
    Yet the most current drivers didn't seem to help, may even have made slightly worse.
    Post edited by strathkin on
  • nowirusak89nowirusak89 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I have a problem since the last major update. Regularly freezes or crashes the game.

The following problems occur:
    - Black screen (very common)
    - Picture simply stops (very often)
    - CrypticError window opens (often)
    - The game just goes off (often)
    - Write error RAM (very rare)
    - Fatal error 3D (very rare)

In most cases, I can quit the GameClient via the Windows Taksmanager. If Task Manager does not open, I need to reboot the PC.
    I have already updated all relavant drivers and reinstalled once. Also Neverwinter was 3 times completely removed and reinstalled, without success.

Before the update to Ravenloft, everything ran smoothly, this started after the update.
    Trigger is hard to say, since the mistake can occur at any time, whether one stands, walks or travels. Also, the place does not matter, Bavoria, PE, instances, fortress.

My system:
    CPU: AMD Rycen 5 1600
    MB: MSI B350M Pro-VD Plus
    RAM: 2x 4G Crucial BLS4G4D26BFSB.8FBD2
    GPU: AMD Radeon RX 550
    one more patch and nothing²... what i need to do for some answer? im not asking for a insta-fix, IM ASKING FOR AN ANSWER IF THAT STUPID BUG WILL GET FIXED.
  • volkihar#6493 volkihar Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    The game still having fps drops and patchings even when i have disable patch on demand.
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Prior to module 14, it was possible to play Neverwinter on a dual-core cpu with 4GB ram.
    I know because I played on a dual-core pentium (without hyperthreading) for about 1 year.
    I played with only 4GB ram for about 3-4 years.
    Module 14 changed all that.
    Now you need at least 4 cores (or dual core cpu with hyperthreading).
    RAM usage has increased. It might not be possible to play with only 4GB ram.
    vram usage is often near 2GB. It might not be possible to play with only 1GB vram.

This game runs fine on thousands of PC's.
    disconnects are Cryptic's fault or caused by bad internet connection,
    but crashes to desktop or freezes are a PC problem or software problem or Operating system problem.
    sangrine said:

Prior to module 14, it was possible to play Neverwinter on a dual-core cpu with 4GB ram.
    I know because I played on a dual-core pentium (without hyperthreading) for about 1 year.
    I played with only 4GB ram for about 3-4 years.
    Module 14 changed all that.
    Now you need at least 4 cores (or dual core cpu with hyperthreading).
    RAM usage has increased. It might not be possible to play with only 4GB ram.
    vram usage is often near 2GB. It might not be possible to play with only 1GB vram.

This game runs fine on thousands of PC's.
    disconnects are Cryptic's fault or caused by bad internet connection,
    but crashes to desktop or freezes are a PC problem or software problem or Operating system problem.

Neverwinter requirements:
    • Processor: Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz (or equivalent AMD CPU)
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM.
    • Graphics: NVidia GeForce 6600, ATI/AMD Radeon X1300, or Intel G965 Express (Direct3D Hardware Feature Level 10)
    • DirectX: Version 10.
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection.

where are the new requirements? they didn't said anything about that.
    or they just changed the requirements and are waiting for us to found out that we cant play anymore?

Warframe had the same problem with increased RAM usage few months ago and they FIXED IT, its a bug, not an requirements change.

edited July 2018

• Graphics: NVidia GeForce 6600, ATI/AMD Radeon X1300, or Intel G965 Express (Direct3D Hardware Feature Level 10)

or they just changed the requirements and are waiting for us to found out that we cant play anymore?

These requirements are old.

Since module 14, Neverwinter uses more than two cpu cores,
    and uses more than 4GB ram, and uses more than 1 GB vram,
    based on personal testing on both preview server and on live server.
    Thanks to these changes, frame rate is, by my estimates, 20-30% higher than before module 14.
    Neverwinter is running smoother than ever, on PC's which can handle it.
    Upgrade your PC and enjoy the higher frame rate.

cpu usage, ram usage, vram usage (red text - upper left side)
    https://photoland.io/i/zN01Y
    Post edited by sangrine on
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    My friend and guild member plays Neverwinter on a 2 GB RAM, 1 GB Nvida card and says he can play everywhere just fine. He told me he has some lag in areas that are high population (zones > 20 people). We both can see the "patch on demand" even though we both have it disabled. I don't know if it is really doing anything or not? I know his rig is custom built, that might explain why he can get away with lower memory requirement.

Possible Work Around?
    I can get my desktop to jump up 50% on the FPS using /renderscale 0.75 in the chat box. I don't recommend trying less than 0.50 although it can be reduced to 0.01 LOL. /renderscale 1 is default which mean 100% resolution. There is a slider in the options for this but the chat line has better fine tuning. On a good day (rare indeed) I can play the game at 150% which gives me a crisp image.
    wb-cenders.gif
    sangrine said:

These requirements are old.

Since module 14, Neverwinter uses more than two cpu cores,
    and uses more than 4GB ram, and uses more than 1 GB vram,
    based on personal testing on both preview server and on live server.
    Thanks to these changes, frame rate is, by my estimates, 20-30% higher than before module 14.
    Neverwinter is running smoother than ever, on PC's which can handle it.
    Upgrade your PC and enjoy the higher frame rate.

cpu usage, ram usage, vram usage (red text - upper left side)
    https://photoland.io/i/zN01Y
    and again, NOBODY said that the requirements have changed, so they just decide to HAMSTER everyone who have an "poor pc" without say anything?

i play a few games with much more graphics than Neverwinter and dont need more then 2 cores, or more then 4gb ram.. that is just ridiculous.

i didn't see anything different on the graphics on Neverwinter in this new Mod, what can explain this absurd hardware increase?

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks, we've been passing along all performance issues reports (along with crashes) to the team and they've been addressing some during the last few patches. We'll continue to look into and investigate unresolved reports but the challenge is identifying what is a shared issue and what may be unique to each case (the more unique, the harder it typically can be to resolve),

Hey folks, we've been passing along all performance issues reports (along with crashes) to the team and they've been addressing some during the last few patches. We'll continue to look into and investigate unresolved reports but the challenge is identifying what is a shared issue and what may be unique to each case (the more unique, the harder it typically can be to resolve),

Thank you very much for the answer my friend, i'm feeling more hopeful that some of us who are having those performance issues will be able to play Neverwinter again.
    edited July 2018

i didn't see anything different on the graphics on Neverwinter in this new Mod, what can explain this absurd hardware increase?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10899973-barovia-a-developer's-perspective

The final task I wanted to talk about is optimization. It’s a tricky concept, especially for PC games. Developers working on a single platform can optimize very narrowly towards a single target. Since Neverwinter launches at different levels on PC, Xbox One, and PS4, we have to make a game that can run at several different visual fidelity levels. In essence, optimization is making a choice where to lose fidelity in order to gain performance across the entire scene. Things like Levels of Detail (LODs) can make a big impact. LODs sometimes require some really custom work to have a perfectly optimized asset. Some of the assets that I spent the most time optimizing for this zone were the pine trees.

The trees for Barovia are packed especially densely. This helps to establish a spooky atmosphere for players that venture into the woods, but it requires a vast number of trees to accomplish the look. There are only three different tall pine trees in the zone that are all scaled and rotated randomly to mimic the actual variety you’d get in a pine tree forest. Each of the trees has a total of three LODs (the normal model is LOD 0, then two more decreasingly complex models). Originally, we only had two LODs for this model tree, but creating a third allowed us to have a much smaller triangle count.

A good amount of the optimization for Neverwinter happens automatically, behind the scenes. Sometimes, though, this automation can return results that just won’t do. For our low-end PC players, there is a feature called clip fog that simply culls any object farther than a certain distance from the camera. This works really well for interiors, and generally well for exterior levels. The problem with this map, however, was that the Castle of Ravenloft wasn’t drawing! The most iconic and important landmark in the zone was too far away, so low-end PC players just wouldn’t see it at all. It took some clever workarounds and a fair bit of work, but such an important landmark is worth the effort. Optimization is always a balancing act between performance and visuals. We want to make the best looking game that we can, but it’s even more important that players have the best experience we can deliver.

• misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    Have you checked if you run the 64-bit or 32-bit client? They changed that not long before mod 14 to use 64-bit by default

edited July 2018

Have you checked if you run the 64-bit or 32-bit client? They changed that not long before mod 14 to use 64-bit by default

yeah im using 64bit client, its a lil better then 32bit but my problem with FPS is on combats (rarely in populated crowds) most on my cw when im casting skills, my FPS start to drop very fast when casting skill, but i've seen that on my other characters that issue rarely happen (it happens, but less often then on my cw), and when starts to patching my game freeze for a few seconds. (on-demand is disabled, but it keeps patching anyway).

edit: looks like the client is trying to render the skills and it makes my FPS drop, im probably talking HAMSTER but who knows? lol