test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alphonse Knox companion

Comments

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

You're joking, right? He has multiple AoE attacks, is a defender, and if he has the debuff too? He becomes a BiS tank companion for anyone that wants to use a defender tank companion! I'd use him without even a thought

Anyone who has the cash on hand to win the auction is already BiS and shredding all content. I have no idea what percent of the AD glut these auctions will remove, but I have to believe it's a non-trivial amount for the developers to go to this trouble.

AD enters the economy faster than it leaves the economy, the digital equivalent of printing money. AD sinks burn money, reducing supply, increasing value. AD sinks that cause the super-wealthy to burn money do benefit everyone else whose current AD supply is now worth a tad more.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    my DC used Earth Archon as tank, it isnt that bad, i laugh so hard when i saw my DC's earth archon tanking red iron golem in defending portal alone. near immunity to red iron's fire attacks if you set his runes and items properly.
    i dont see appeal of Alfonso Knox, as Kreatyve said, it was designed to drain AD from economy. and i think we may need more of that, except for auction baits, we need improve bazaar market that most players would spend cheaply and often.
    my opinion that older items would had reduced prices as they add newer items, create 2 new market tab, "Bargain Bin" and "New Section" and then add 3rd tab for "Event", if they like it more, and AD supply would shrink just a little.

please add Genie tokens, i would buy if those are not available on AH.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,207 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    wylonus said:

my DC used Earth Archon as tank, it isnt that bad, i laugh so hard when i saw my DC's earth archon tanking red iron golem in defending portal alone. near immunity to red iron's fire attacks if you set his runes and items properly.
    i dont see appeal of Alfonso Knox, as Kreatyve said, it was designed to drain AD from economy. and i think we may need more of that, except for auction baits, we need improve bazaar market that most players would spend cheaply and often.
    my opinion that older items would had reduced prices as they add newer items, create 2 new market tab, "Bargain Bin" and "New Section" and then add 3rd tab for "Event", if they like it more, and AD supply would shrink just a little.

please add Genie tokens, i would buy if those are not available on AH.

Well, Alphonse Knox gives you: 1000 power + 1000 ArmPen. No other companion gives you 2000 stat. It has 3 offensive slots and a defender. I don't know any defender has 3 offensive slots. And, he gives you debuff like Con Artist. And, he can stay alive. Is there another companion come close to 50% of this companion?

Of course, for the super BiS character, this is a "tiny" improvement. Yes, it looks good but it is just a trophy for some super rich and not a game changer for this super BiS character.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Legendary/mystic artifacts. Equipment. Consumable items. Mounts. The legendary tools. Transmutes. etc. These things can be done in a similar manner as seargent knox in both BiS and done by the neverember AH bot. Done on a daily basis. Not 'every 5 days.'

I disagree a bit.

Selling fancy items in limited numbers that basically give you little more that (serious) bragging rights is absolutely fine - Alphonso Knox does not give you a massive in-game advantage over other items.

There are already some BiS items that are sold in the Zen store (Chultan Tiger, Runic Bags and so on), but adding even more such items to the AH (including those that do give you a significant advantage, like legendary tools) would cause problems - at the very least a change in how the game is perceived - it would get harder to argue it was not P2W.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    > @plasticbat said:
    > I don't know any defender has 3 offensive slots

Young Yeti does.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Its a smart ploy, but the starting value is a bit high to get bidders. Also if this is the Cryptics new way of sinking AD, then lets get some real nice prizes as well, not just a companion. Maybe some mythic level companion gear, or mythic gear for the toon. A rare UNSEEN before mount that is legend (or a new mythic speed of 200). Throw in some unique items that will not make it to zen or AH resell. And do this every week with a new item. Just make the prices less ridiculous.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,207 Arc User

Its a smart ploy, but the starting value is a bit high to get bidders. Also if this is the Cryptics new way of sinking AD, then lets get some real nice prizes as well, not just a companion. Maybe some mythic level companion gear, or mythic gear for the toon. A rare UNSEEN before mount that is legend (or a new mythic speed of 200). Throw in some unique items that will not make it to zen or AH resell. And do this every week with a new item. Just make the prices less ridiculous.

The starting bid was 1 AD according to kreatyve.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

The point of the exercise is to promote ridiculous prices and drain more AD from the wealthiest players. Besides, if the item posted were truly amazing and unique, the prices would climb even higher and further lock players of average wealth out of the bidding.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Having read the comments above it seems to me that the answer would be to put in legendary mounts, crafters, companions, tools and whatever else on the AH on a daily basis. That would certainly clear out the surplus AD and then maybe stick them on the Zen Market and make some fast cash to support the game development.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

it started out at one ad. the price it is at now is actual multiple bids.
    adinosii said:

Legendary/mystic artifacts. Equipment. Consumable items. Mounts. The legendary tools. Transmutes. etc. These things can be done in a similar manner as seargent knox in both BiS and done by the neverember AH bot. Done on a daily basis. Not 'every 5 days.'

I disagree a bit.

Selling fancy items in limited numbers that basically give you little more that (serious) bragging rights is absolutely fine - Alphonso Knox does not give you a massive in-game advantage over other items.

There are already some BiS items that are sold in the Zen store (Chultan Tiger, Runic Bags and so on), but adding even more such items to the AH (including those that do give you a significant advantage, like legendary tools) would cause problems - at the very least a change in how the game is perceived - it would get harder to argue it was not P2W.
    disagree. legendary tools are only sold in the ah already and their prices are extraordinarily high. there is generally no more than one for sale at a time. if they were added to the ah on a regular basis it would make them be a bit cheaper and in the realm of more people because the supply would be enhanced from where it's at now. adding more things is good when the "more" things are things that are nearly unobtainable as it stands. more supply when there is high demand is by definition a relief effort even if the cost is high
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User

Having read the comments above it seems to me that the answer would be to put in legendary mounts, crafters, companions, tools and whatever else on the AH on a daily basis. That would certainly clear out the surplus AD and then maybe stick them on the Zen Market and make some fast cash to support the game development.

I don't think you really comprehend how much AD is floating around out there. When the Zax backlog was at 23 million Zen, that represented over 11.5 Billion AD. Last I checked, the Zax is at 7 million Zen backlog which is still around 3.5 Billion AD. The Zax churns through about a million Zen a day or 500 million AD.

This only represents those folks who are wanting to convert AD to Zen which is a small fraction of the player base.

My guess is that there are literally trillions in AD that need to be "mopped up" gamewide, and anyone who thinks that putting a few things on the AH will realistically help that problem probably doesn't have a grasp on the scope of the economy.

These bonus AH items are just the devs playing nice with the gaming base.
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Doing a weekly "special" that has unique items that would go for collectors or filthy rich players would lower that enormous AD pool quite a bit over a long term. Short term, you won't see much, but this is a game of long term plans not short term acquisitions. After all if you got to CR and won on your first month playing, it wouldn't be enticing to stick around.
    rubytrue said:

I don't think you really comprehend how much AD is floating around out there. When the Zax backlog was at 23 million Zen, that represented over 11.5 Billion AD. Last I checked, the Zax is at 7 million Zen backlog which is still around 3.5 Billion AD. The Zax churns through about a million Zen a day or 500 million AD.

This only represents those folks who are wanting to convert AD to Zen which is a small fraction of the player base.

My guess is that there are literally trillions in AD that need to be "mopped up" gamewide, and anyone who thinks that putting a few things on the AH will realistically help that problem probably doesn't have a grasp on the scope of the economy.

over time it will help. I don't think the problem is the ad floating around if it's in stasis (which a lot of it is) it's when they decide to hold it all in zen. (easier that way than trying to keep it out of your hair anyway) and holding it for things they want when they come up. imo the real issue is all of these fantastically rich people constantly having their money in line to get zen when they don't actually need the zen. I strongly think the adx should never be gotten rid of but maybe a way to convert your ad instantly to zen (for pc only) at a price over the current zen price might help. especially if that "bought" zen is not going back into circulation but being taken out of the game. all the while KEEPING the adx for conversion at whatever the going market rate is. the feature to buy at a price a bit over 500 out of the adx would be moot as soon as it was trading under 500.. and eventually would be un needed but might take enough ad out of the economy to fix the problem.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @kreatyve said:
    > the fact that the current buyout bid for this item sits at 35m tells me that to someone somewhere, 35m AD is loose change, and whoever currently holds the highest bid, he's not alone.
    >
    > If I remember correctly, the last time it was offered, it sold for around 35M AD so that's probably where they got that number.
    >
    >
    >
    > You are misremembering just a little. When they had the old Sgt Knox companion as "exclusive" on the AH, they listed 5 of them. One went for 30 million, and the other 4 went for 12.3 million to 15 million. This is not the same companion though. It's much better.
    >
    > The bid on this one started at just 1 AD. I was winning it for a few seconds for 3900 AD. It's been at 35 million for a while now, so I'm not sure if someone is going to outbid that or not.

I'm going to outbid it.. at the last second..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • bluthbananabluthbanana Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

I agree. But it might not only be a sales event for people with deep AD pockets. It might also be a way to evaluate a price range for future sales events in the Zen store, aimed at the whales of the game. Having the Zax and an auction house event beforehand is a good way to remind people even these items can be earned ingame, countering the guaranteed complains that "the game has gone fully p2w".

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

> @kreatyve said:

> the fact that the current buyout bid for this item sits at 35m tells me that to someone somewhere, 35m AD is loose change, and whoever currently holds the highest bid, he's not alone.

>

> If I remember correctly, the last time it was offered, it sold for around 35M AD so that's probably where they got that number.

>

>

>

> You are misremembering just a little. When they had the old Sgt Knox companion as "exclusive" on the AH, they listed 5 of them. One went for 30 million, and the other 4 went for 12.3 million to 15 million. This is not the same companion though. It's much better.

>

> The bid on this one started at just 1 AD. I was winning it for a few seconds for 3900 AD. It's been at 35 million for a while now, so I'm not sure if someone is going to outbid that or not.

Too late now... someone already bid the highest possible bid that's under AD cap. It's pretty much sold for 97 million. Just gotta wait til they post the next one.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited July 2018

So what did they do right?
    What they did wrong?

Setting auction to be every 5 days instead of daily. Setting it daily can take out more AD out of economy over period of time. Initially rushing results in the 35 million bid on day one because EVERYONE wants that companion. This is showing they can put a good product out but can't have control over how to properly put it out.

I disagree with that assessment. Putting it up for the full 5 days lets all the whales weigh how much they want it, and to watch where the bidding goes. And, if someone is away for a couple days, they don't miss it... I still expect a flurry of bids in the last 10 minutes.

EDIT: Or maybe not, if they bidding has taken it pretty much to the 100M mark.... If it does reach that, they should close the auction, and start the next one as scheduled.

• trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User

> @kreatyve said:

>

>

>

>

>

you should have not said anything about bidding on it keep that to yourself the guy who bought it probably seen your post
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    I'm curious very curious who the person was that desided to bet 97mil for it. Well I hope its worth all that ad to them.
  • sgtpostal#4408 sgtpostal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    if this ever hits console.... ya i kno few ppl wholl prob end up wit it lol ( the super wealthy in here would b the mastercrafters an the lucky multi ledgepack winners) so whilest i would get smethin like this jus for the extras in it..... this is for the 1%'ers out there that got lucky wit ledge packs or mastercrafting sales o the few exploitions of the system (i.e wen the new rnks for enchants came out n those who were already mx rnk on all enchants an quickly maxed them again then sold them at max profit of say right round 3 mil which might not seem like alot but multiply that by the total # of enchants on 1 character). but oh well to the other 99%'ers that will jus hav to look in awe (me included lol)
  • trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2018

I'm curious very curious who the person was that desided to bet 97mil for it. Well I hope its worth all that ad to them.

the thing is that the person who bought it might not use this companion they might look at it as a investment to sell at a later date they stated that everything in this pack is BOE the owner could then trade it for more than 100m in leg packs for example.
    taking 100 mil out of the economy in one week is not nuffink.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

taking 100 mil out of the economy in one week is not nuffink.

Drop in the bucket, compared to the amount of AD that get exchanged to Zen every day.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

rubytrue said:

Sorry, for picking this part, but you are not right here. The majority of the players are using the exchange to get VIP and the preservation/coalescent wards, because the auction house costs are mostly higher and sometimes over a long period 10%-30higher. If the developers really want a high AD sink, they just have to sell all wards in Wondrous Bazaar for 5k AD each Preservation ward and 500k AD each coalescent ward.

Yes I have been an advocate of that idea - I think that would make sense