test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

lockbox lucky days

thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
I try really hard (although I fail 98 percent of the time ok maybe I'm not trying that hard but I know I should) to save my keys for lucky days. has anyone else noticed this phenomena. there seem to be days where I get way better luck than normal. where a rash of great stuff drops from chests, where you can't seem to miss with trophies dropping from rare hunts. (I just got a legendary tyran and it was after a streak of hunts dropping their trophy in a row. I think I got five of them. I was like man.. today is the day and sure enough I only had two keys and the second was leg tyran. that was an extreme lucky day and I have to admit that I thought my odds were darned good of getting that drop. there are degrees of lucky streaks and this one was notable. I should have ran some dungeons but i was tired. lol.

but anyone else notice this. there are like reverse luck days where NOTHING drops. it's pretty much a good day just to turn off your console. I don't know the mechanics but it seems to be a real thing, at least in my experience.

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

I try really hard (although I fail 98 percent of the time ok maybe I'm not trying that hard but I know I should) to save my keys for lucky days. has anyone else noticed this phenomena. there seem to be days where I get way better luck than normal. where a rash of great stuff drops from chests, where you can't seem to miss with trophies dropping from rare hunts. (I just got a legendary tyran and it was after a streak of hunts dropping their trophy in a row. I think I got five of them. I was like man.. today is the day and sure enough I only had two keys and the second was leg tyran. that was an extreme lucky day and I have to admit that I thought my odds were darned good of getting that drop. there are degrees of lucky streaks and this one was notable. I should have ran some dungeons but i was tired. lol.

but anyone else notice this. there are like reverse luck days where NOTHING drops. it's pretty much a good day just to turn off your console. I don't know the mechanics but it seems to be a real thing, at least in my experience.

Idk, I think my luckiest day so far was the day that both me and my husband had our names pop up one right after the other, lol. I had gotten a coupon for a key from invoking, and on a whim, decided to open a lockbox. Got an epic companion pack. So my hubby decided to try his luck and he got something good (I can't remember what exactly). It was crazy. I managed to get a screenshot of it on my DVR, cause it was just so crazy.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    1 way it can manifest is the lockbox. other than the one key a day though you might not notice the effect there unless you seize upon it after noticing it elsewhere. like having enchantments upgrade quickly, getting good things out of chests in dungeons. if you notice it in one place it's likely to hold true in lockboxes too. every time I've gotten a legendary mount it's been on one of these lucky days.

I don't know why some days you have better holding luck than others in this game or negative luck for that matter but I've been observing it for awhile now.

the game theory goes if you have done things that are free but rng based and your results have been bad to boring. save your daily key for another day. if you've had some pretty good rng or excellent rng open those keys maybe buy ten.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

1 way it can manifest is the lockbox. other than the one key a day though you might not notice the effect there unless you seize upon it after noticing it elsewhere. like having enchantments upgrade quickly, getting good things out of chests in dungeons. if you notice it in one place it's likely to hold true in lockboxes too. every time I've gotten a legendary mount it's been on one of these lucky days.

I don't know why some days you have better holding luck than others in this game or negative luck for that matter but I've been observing it for awhile now.

the game theory goes if you have done things that are free but rng based and your results have been bad to boring. save your daily key for another day. if you've had some pretty good rng or excellent rng open those keys maybe buy ten.

Bah, using my daily key is normally one of the first things I do out of habit. Probably why I never get anything good, lol.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

Bah, using my daily key is normally one of the first things I do out of habit. Probably why I never get anything good, lol.
    i save mine up for sundays lol
  • zacoria1405zacoria1405 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    I'm unlucky on any day with a y in it!
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    I'm saving my keys for the day they announce the newest event, Double RNG Chance!
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    I noticed this lucky day phenomena as well. It was during mod 9 or so when the Shard of Orcus wand was going for around 1 million.

Well, two dropped in about 3 CN runs, and I thought, well this is a lucky streak. So I used up my keys to open up the Glorious Resurgence lockboxes (I had about 30 saved up) and sure enough, I got my first Legendary Mount pack.

Anecdotal, but still, that was a lucky day.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
    vordayn said:

I noticed this lucky day phenomena as well. It was during mod 9 or so when the Shard of Orcus wand was going for around 1 million.

Well, two dropped in about 3 CN runs, and I thought, well this is a lucky streak. So I used up my keys to open up the Glorious Resurgence lockboxes (I had about 30 saved up) and sure enough, I got my first Legendary Mount pack.

Anecdotal, but still, that was a lucky day.

that's what I'm talkin bout
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I could quote statistical reasons why things like this can happen, but a) its boring and b) you wouldn't believe me. ;)

But one thing I can say with some certainty is that if there were some coding anomaly creating artificial probability outliers on lock boxes, the devs would have gone without sleep and daylight till it was fixed.

I could quote statistical reasons why things like this can happen, but a) its boring and b) you wouldn't believe me. ;)

But one thing I can say with some certainty is that if there were some coding anomaly creating artificial probability outliers on lock boxes, the devs would have gone without sleep and daylight till it was fixed.

I'd say in most instances that would be true but it seems to work for this game. the quality control of this game isn't exactly on par with many grade a games. I kind of think they have this bug.. and then were like whats the impact... and it was found to not be upsetting the balance too badly so they left it. (as so many bugs have been left that other titles would have been directly on top of. I mean look at the peek at the treasure bug that was left in the game for so many years)
    You might be right.
    I personally believe it has more to do with periodic overlaps of habitual sine waves causing peaks and troughs in key purchases and lock box opening, and players online generating enough "no" responses to increase the statistical volume of "yes" responses

Every loot table has its own RNG.
    Every lockbox has its own RNG.

Probability does not inform absolute predictability, there will always be outliers, both good and bad in any probability outside of 0% and 100%.

(I said it was boring...)

I'm not sure how one faulty central algorithm could affect everything and not go unresolved.
    edited August 2018
    Unless of course there IS a deliberate "Lucky Day" algorithm, used secretly to encourage key sales.
    But that would be very sharp practise and should it become known that on any given day the odds on your $100 (or whatever) key bundle could shift without notice there would be a LOT of very pissed off people...

ETA: And I don't believe for one second that this is the case.
  • ghostrings#8090 ghostrings Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    My lucky day was getting 10 magebreaker helms in one day and then getting a +5 ring of the battle dancer. About a week later I have gotten 0 helms and I will farm them for a few hours a day they are literally that rare.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    I finally had my lucky hour about 12:30 am Saturday morning. Pulled Glorious Resurgence Legendary Pack out of a Glorious Resurgence Lockbox, 30 minutes later got a 30,000 AD experience reward.
  • ashbury#6333 ashbury Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    I think there are certain days where your luck is better
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

I think there are certain days where your luck is better

Well, I needed a good September. August wasn't a good month IRL. Needed something to cheer me up.
  • sean#4279 sean Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Hmph, well I can say that I often fail 3, 4 or even 5 times to open a thieving, arcane, religion, etc., item with a 75% chance of success. It makes 0 sense and makes me personally think that the RNG algorithm is slightly off.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I know players who average 1 legendary mount a month just using daily keys. That is roughly 12 a year. I also open my LB at the same time and never have seen a Legendary mount, EVER! I even buy them from time to time and I always buy keys when I get the 40% off coupon. I have yet to pull a Legendary mount from any LB. There is no luck for me in that regards.

On the other end of the spectrum I know players who have 10 characters and run all of them for treasure maps and Fane and yet have not even gotten a +4, forget a +5. And I only run two character and have both the Gravestriker and Shadow Stalker +5. I pulled +5 rings out of content like I'm getting a Blood Ruby from T9, seriously ran two CN and got 3 different +5. I'm like where is my luck with LB. LOL...

I know one player who seems just to be lucky all around. Has pulled multiple Legendary from daily keys, gotten multiple +5 Gravestriker and Shadow Stalkers, and pulls high selling companions out of treasure chest on a regular basis. In less than 24 hours this player generated over 7M AD just from his chest pulls and than he pulls not 1 but 2 legendary from 5 keys. I logged off after that and took a few days away from NWO.

I am tired of seeing some players hold all the luck with Legendary mounts and others holding it with other things like rings. Honestly this game RNG is not real RNG given how often I get +5 rings and how often other players get good drop from treasure chest and others just are able to pull a legendary mount out each month with a daily key.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    sean#4279 said:

Hmph, well I can say that I often fail 3, 4 or even 5 times to open a thieving, arcane, religion, etc., item with a 75% chance of success. It makes 0 sense and makes me personally think that the RNG algorithm is slightly off.

A player using 10 pres wards to rank a lesser weapon enchant up to Unpar is a bit off as well where it took me just almost as much for a 50% chance item.
  • jeremytheman232jeremytheman232 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I thought i had a lucky day popped a ton of keys nothing good. I am very lucky getting t2 hunt drops but god forbid i get the t1. I had people asking me to run along in omu so they could get their next teir hunt lol. Im lucky in some things but lockboxs im 0 luck. Been playing years on xbox and ps4 never got a leg mount. i shoud just buy one from the ah by buying zen and selling it for ad in the exchange but idk i just wanna win it. Something about winning the pack over buying it is costing me alot of money lol. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor
  • ghostrings#8090 ghostrings Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Tha ks to this post I realized there was a pattern to lucky days, I was trying to get a specific +5 ring and when I pulled 2 in an hour I knew it was gonna happen. Sure enough got that ring I wanted. 3 +5's in 2 hours.
  • cerickson187cerickson187 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    What pattern did you notice? I'd love to get all the +5 rings in the river and if can get multiple in one day that would be amazing
    edited September 2018
    the pattern is just if you're having a lucky streak keep trying. lol because for some reason luck tends to last for awhile in this game. like if you're finding great stuff is dropping for you whatever you're doing and you want something in particular. try for it. the gods have blessed you.
  • arod7932arod7932 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Over the summer I logged in and used my Daily Key. Wasn't even looking at the screen, I look up and there's a Legendary Trex pack staring me in the face.

Also, I've noticed that older legendary rings have been dropping like candy for me lately, after they are no longer relevant...
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Had a lockbox lucky day again today.

I did a Fane out of boredom while thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if I got an orange ring?", and when it came out as a +5 Shadowstalker, I thought I would test this 'lockbox lucky days' theory, so opened up some lockboxes with my trove of keys (about 40) and out came ... the Glorious Resurgence Legendary Pack!

Yay! Lucky streak. Last one was about 2 years ago.

Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • sleepy725sleepy725 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Lol played for two years. Was VIP 12 the day it was introduced. Never once had a lucky day in this game. After two years and a few hundred dollars I said f it and quit.
  • lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    The lucky day you’re talking about is February 29th. Save up those keys!
  • johnnyreklaw#1518 johnnyreklaw Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    When FBI was end-game, I had all 4 pieces of relic armor in 5 runs. I also pulled the boat and fishing rod in 3 bottles. Every character I've taken through SKT has a fast boat...and I don't farm bottles. I just use them when I get them. A friend of mine opened 20 bottles with no boat on one of her alts. I sent her a bottle in the mail blessed with "Johnny's luck." She got the boat.

So now being several mods later, I am not lucky on days. I'm only lucky with SKT content which is now outdated....go me.