test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Constant patching in-game since Ravenloft released?

mjonismjonis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
Anyone else notice that since this mod was released that their PC is constantly downloading patches during the game (you see the little white text in the upper-left hand corner stating that it's downloading X out of whatever files)?

I know I disabled on demand patching eons ago, but wasn't sure if it's just me or something flaky going on.

The On-Demand patching box is UNCHECKED in my options, BTW.

Comments

• misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    I've got the same, and it was like that on the preview server as well.

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I've seen it and been wondering as well.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I have also noticed this and like you I also have on-demand patching disabled.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Yeah. Same here.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • lollopezlollopez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    Same here, it's very laggy and impossible to play
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    I have on demand patching disabled. I saw the patching bar several times two nights ago but none last night. Perhaps it was patching the new content once (one and done)?
    I aim to misbehave
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I'm getting the patching flashes in the top left corner as well. I have patching on demand disabled. I was getting the first night and last night as well.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    Well they are not that bad sometimes they can take a minute. But I've always had it on I think.
  • shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Same, I turned that off, and downloaded the entire game on purpose, because I get tons of rubber banding if I play on my DSL, so I play on my phone's hotspot (better connection, just less bandwidth) so, need to have the game downloaded and not constantly patching!
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    Try turning it on in settings, then back off and see if it makes a difference. I've been meaning to try it but keep forgetting at startup! Server is down now so I can't test.
  • shoziku222shoziku222 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I know the on-demand patching indicators show up in the corner but for me they go by so fast it doesn't seem like it's really patching anything. To me it seems more like something is triggering the indicators but not really doing any patching.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    Toggling patch on demand on and off doesn't change anything. I'm still patching 2 files flashing in the corner.
  • shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    Have turned on, saved, restarted launcher, turned back off, saved, restarted launcher... still does it. Even force verify did not help.
  • vulpasvulpasvulpasvulpas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    The in game patching is appearing in the top left of your screen but its not actually patching anything if you have a full install.
    I deliberaterly watched the top of the screen when I took my second character to the new zone, 0 kb installed, the white bar flashes but nothing is getting installed.

It would appear then we got a new bug for mod 14, its annoying but not actually harmful.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Yea I noticed Star Trek Online as I commented to their DEVS has done the same since ViL as it always appears to be ON DEMAND PATCH saying 5 files... yet 0 indeed seem to be transferred and ON DEMAND PATCHING is NOT even enabled on the Launcher and I always DOWNLOAD a fully updated game client prior to launch.

@nitocris83
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    I'm following up on this to get clarification/other info.
  • saraleah01saraleah01 Member Posts: 10 Arc User

Same, I turned that off, and downloaded the entire game on purpose, because I get tons of rubber banding if I play on my DSL, so I play on my phone's hotspot (better connection, just less bandwidth) so, need to have the game downloaded and not constantly patching!

This.... the game is almost always on patch whenever change zone... new map -ravenloft- is on patch whenever move 1/4 of map... it bites... hope it gets fixed soon...
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    It feels like it's related to other player characters, and that there's something being downloaded over and over again.
    And it gets really bad during fights at Yester Hill, to a point where i can hardly play anymore...

I also added this to a ticket regarding that the Storm King's Thunder Campaign can't be started, and ask the GM in charge if he could pass it on to the Devs.

I hope that this gets fixed soon, since i actually like the whole Ravenloft area, but the constant patching is killing it.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    Was still happening to me last night... Not a huge deal, as long as I remember to pause a couple seconds when I enter a new zone, but would still be nice if it got resolved.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    I've been getting the patch message on the character select screen. I'm not sure what's up with that.
  • shoziku222shoziku222 Member Posts: 67 Arc User

The in game patching is appearing in the top left of your screen but its not actually patching anything if you have a full install.
    I deliberaterly watched the top of the screen when I took my second character to the new zone, 0 kb installed, the white bar flashes but nothing is getting installed.

It would appear then we got a new bug for mod 14, its annoying but not actually harmful.

That's what I suspected as well. It goes by so fast it's hard to see what it is doing, so it really doesn't give a performance hit at all. If someone sees it actually patching anything please note the filename(s) and/or size. I'm gonna guess that nothing is actually happening and there will be no details to provide.
    still doing it and even worse than before after the last maint. it pauses[10 - 30 sec so far] like on demand even though that has been disabled forever.
  • xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    @nitocris83 Any word yet as to why we are seeing patches with ondemand patching turned off?

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• gogu79gogu79 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    on demand patch = lag lag LAG LAG LAG and again lag its imposible to play a big heroic in barovia huge lag in PE and chult city dragon runns in well of dragons make my pc to blow was laggy before now its unplayable but think this its not so important if players cant play came content its not a big problem
    Dragons? On MY Way !!
    constant patching even worse than before since maint 7/12 ... went ahead and un-installed/re-installed ... NOW its stuck in on demand.. gives an error code and shuts down when attempting to remove "on demand" patching =/

ERROR: Failed to load dbghelp: 126
    Line: f:\cjunctions\src\utilities\crypticerror\harvest.c(543)

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Maybe do to certain reasons, or them trying to improve performance or some other reason they are doing this on purpose. I do think they should fix it so players don't have to suffer through it.
  • pedro2908926pedro2908926 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    why just dont disable on-demand system till this issue get fixed? then ppl like me who cant play since mod 14 was released because of this stupid FPS drop will be able to play.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    Well, anything new from the Devs about this @nitocris83?
    It would be nice to know what's going on, or what we can do to help fixing this mess.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • percemerpercemer Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 1,048 Arc User
    Greetings,

Last I noticed, the devs are investigating on this issue, but they need more information like:
    Where are players reporting this? Only in Barovia? Around the game? Etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,
    Percemer
    EU Community Manager @ Gearbox Publishing
    ----------
    Neverwinter: Discord - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - Customer Support - Terms of Service
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    It's a constant throughout the game platform. Doesn't matter which character I am on or which zone I am in.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.