test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Each component needs to be used more than once issue?

manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User
Please help me.

I am in the final stages of my quest creation and have been ignoring this error as I figured I would solve it once I had finished my touch ups. I could not test the transition from one map to the other anyway from the foundry but now that I want to publish it I am worried that this error will prevent this (I have not attempted to publish yet as I don't want a buggy quest out there).

My problem is the portals I am using to transition from one map to the next. I am probably doing something wrong so let me explain what I have done.

At the end of a stages quest-line I have created a "Interact with..." component and made this the specific portal I want the player to interact with so that they know where to go and what to select. One the map transition component I have selected the exact same portal as the "leave from" selection.

This tells me that I am using the portal more than once but I am unable to clear the exclamation error. Note that my other quest-line sections have doors which I have used for this purpose and these sections do not have this error, only where I am using portals.

What am I doing wrong here? I am really excited about my first quest and have spent quite a few days refining and would really like to be able to publish.

Comments

• manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Wow the foundry does certainly appear to be dead. Regardless, I have been having good fun creating my first quest. In terms of the problem with the portals, I have decided to rather just use doors for this so hopefully my problem is resolved :) Busy publishing now - hope there are not too many bugs
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    You can change the appearance of some doors to look like the portal effects, I just can't remember which ones off of the top of my head. As far as publishing, there isn't a bustling amount of players eager to review new quests, so publishing a work-in-progress is not a huge issue. You can still edit after publishing, even completely redo large portions with very little worry about random players wandering into unfinished content.

As far as the Foundry having such little traffic here on the forums, there are many issues with the Foundry system, from not providing players with an incentive to play quests, to slow updates or fixes for bugs related to the editor. Without "legs" like there used to be (AD for qualifying quests, rewards upon quest completion that interest players) to get the Foundry system running, there aren't many players willing to play UGC, hence there is no hurry to complete our quests or visit the forums. Interest for Foundry quests doesn't seem to reach beyond the Top 5 quests of the "Best" tab in the library, and most of those have been there so long that no new quests will have enough plays to unseat any of them. My featured quests haven't had a single play for months now, and they aren't very far down the list. It is a sad state to be in, but don't let that discourage you. There are a few folks around that try to help newer authors, but response times can be extremely slow.
    Post edited by iandarksword on
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Currently the editor is in sad shape and the time investment it pretty high. I just finished a single map quest last month and called friends to review it. If you don't have a guild or friends online to review your work you can ask the Foundry Authors group on Facebook. I have the link in my signature, just click to go there.

During creation I publish often to make certain what I see in the editor is the same in game. You can always withdraw it, but it isn't like anyone will accidentally play your finished work until you advertise it. The method of advertisement varies but I don't recommend spamming chat. Instead I create some nifty dialog such as Nicholas talking to his companion in chat;
    Nicholas Magnus: Morbius have you placed all those postings on the job boards in this area?
    Nicholas Magnus: Good. Now when those heroes read them (L Key --> catalog --> new --> search "Mad Monty") they will rush to Blacklake.
    Nicholas Magnus: When Monty is distracted by them, we shall raid his magic vault. I know there must be a way to get inside!
    I don't say anything more than that, and head to another district and repeat it there. I know some will ignore it as RP, or just spam, but others will get curious. Keeping it to 3 simple lines is best and I don't advertise with active trolls in the zone.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Thank you for the response folks and for the advice. I for one am a lover of story and NW has not really had anything to offer on it's own so I am quite enjoying going through the foundry and playing some quests - this is what made me decide to make my own one....man is it hard work though ha ha so many bugs and limitations - managed to make my first timer which is cool but sometimes it takes ages and others quick, regardless, I have now got a taste for more.

Anyway - thank you again and keep making quests, there are still a bunch of people out there like me who love a good story.