test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ravenloft?

xkagearashixxkagearashix Member Posts: 32 Arc User
what gives? I haven't played Neverwinter in over a year, I come back and find this... I've been playing the tabletop of D&D since the 80s, Ravenloft is a seperate setting like Darksun, Greyhawk, Dragonlance etc... it should not be in Neverwinter, as Ravenloft IS NOT part of the Forgotten Realms... smh

Comments

• abrams121abrams121 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure a fantasy mmo based off an imaginary game can be whatever it likes
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Connected by D&D, TSR, WotC and Hasbro...
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • xkagearashixxkagearashix Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    *blinks* I used to have the original Ravenloft boxed set, and it didn't mention it being a Forgotten Realms Resource the way Al Quadim, Jungles of Chult, and Kara-Tur (at the time was just known as Oriental Adventures) we're talking back in the 1st Edition days. I loved all the above, except for the original Ravenloft... never played any of the 2nd Edition on up of Ravenloft, so maybe somewhere from there they made it part of the Forgotten Realms, but not in its original run.
    abrams121 said:

I'm pretty sure a fantasy mmo based off an imaginary game can be whatever it likes

that would be like saying Captain Kirk and Spock could be set in Star Wars or Darth Vader in Babylon 5
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ravenloft is directly connected to Forgotten realms.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Demiplane_of_Dread

In relation to the Forgotten Realms, Castle Spulzeer in Tethyr was sucked into the demiplane by a magical gem set in the hilt of the dagger Aggarath. Jander Sunstar suffered a similar fate after he swore revenge for his dead love,[2] and the Lost King of Cormyr, Gondegal, has gained a position of power as the leader of the Knight of the Shadows order, a secret society dedicated to the protection of the helpless and oppressed.[3]

Several residents of Faerûn have even risen to the level of Darklord: Harkon Lukas, the cormyrian wolfwere; Hazlik, a red wizard; Urik von Kharkov, an escaped magical experiment; Draga Saltbiter, a Sword Coast pirate turned wereshark; and Tsien Chiang, the reknowned sorceress from Kara-Tur.[citation needed]

Sometime in the late 15th century DR, reports of werewolf attacks and Vistani sightings in Daggerford and surrounding areas indicated that a passage into one of the Domains of Dread might have been present somewhere in the Misty Forest.

Before it became part of the Demiplane of Dread, one of the two gods worshiped in Barovia was Lathander, though he no longer had any power there after the rise of Strahd, and didn't answer the prayers of his few remaining followers, who remembered only his title of Morninglord since his name has been almost completely forgotten over the centuries of his silence.

4]
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Jander_Sunstar was a non evil vampire from Toril that ended up In Ravenloft.

So yeah these settings have always been connected in one way or another.

Given this, it would be really neat if the Lathander set somehow interacted with the environment there (yes, I have it).
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured

*blinks* I used to have the original Ravenloft boxed set, and it didn't mention it being a Forgotten Realms Resource the way Al Quadim, Jungles of Chult, and Kara-Tur (at the time was just known as Oriental Adventures) we're talking back in the 1st Edition days. I loved all the above, except for the original Ravenloft... never played any of the 2nd Edition on up of Ravenloft, so maybe somewhere from there they made it part of the Forgotten Realms, but not in its original run.

Ravenloft began as a single adventure. It wasn't until Lord Soth was sucked into the Demiplane of Despair that it became fair game.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    To be fair, I sympathize with your position. That said, Ravenloft is a more universal setting than most in the sense that you can start in any world, then the Mists arrive, then BAM!, you're in Ravenloft. The Demiplane of Dread is connected to all the other worlds (except maybe Dark Sun?). That's basically what's going on here. Wizards put out an adventure called "Curse of Strahd" a couple years ago that was a 5E redo of the original "Ravenloft" module, but greatly expanded. The adventure hooks assumed starting in FR but being transported to Barovia. Cryptic is just following their lead.

I have to admit, WotC has been crossing the streams quite a bit with 5th Edition. Sometimes it bugs me a little. Everything they put out is through the lens of the Forgotten Realms. The main villain from their last big adventure was Acererak (from "Tomb of Horrors") in Chult. I mean a planehopping lich showing up in FR works, but damn. Before that they put out a combo adventure book with converted modules from over the years called "Tales from the Yawning Portal". Most of them were old Greyhawk adventures, but the book was still themed around FR. Before that, their big adventures were mostly reused concepts from famous old school adventures/settings.

They try to say FR isn't the default setting of 5E, but then refuse to put out any campaign setting materials or adventures besides for FR, or at least they are presented through the FR lens. Heck, the setting support for FR has been pathetic too. They claim the multiverse is the default setting of 5E, but apparently that only goes so far as the multiverse can be turned into FR material.

I actually don't play much 5E table-top because of this. If I have to write my own FR setting for the current year, I'll pass. I wanted a Greyhawk setting, but if I have to convert the old setting, I'll just play it in it's native edition. And that's exactly what I do. I run a 2E Greyhawk 576cy campaign while my brother runs a 1E Greyhawk 576cy parallel campaign and are having a ball! Both of those could have been 5E games, but for lack of support. Heck, if I wanted to run a homebrew FR campaign, I'd just run an AD&D era and rules version of it because there isn't even FR campaign guide for 5E.

Sorry for the highjack and tirade, just something that bugs me.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    Hey, we can have aliens show up next. This is a fantasy world where just about anything can happen. I don't care for dinosaurs, but I know they did in fact existed in D&D prior to WoC acquiring it as a property. Same with the Ravenloft Vampires. As you can see by the copyrights they came out in the 1990's and were owned by TSR. Now as for aliens showing up in the future, please remember the Faerun is on the planet Toril and has a sister (twin) planet named Abeir. All things in fantasy are possible... it's called magic Duh!
    wb-cenders.gif
    pterias said:

To be fair, I sympathize with your position. That said, Ravenloft is a more universal setting than most in the sense that you can start in any world, then the Mists arrive, then BAM!, you're in Ravenloft. The Demiplane of Dread is connected to all the other worlds (except maybe Dark Sun?). That's basically what's going on here. Wizards put out an adventure called "Curse of Strahd" a couple years ago that was a 5E redo of the original "Ravenloft" module, but greatly expanded. The adventure hooks assumed starting in FR but being transported to Barovia. Cryptic is just following their lead.

I have to admit, WotC has been crossing the streams quite a bit with 5th Edition. Sometimes it bugs me a little. Everything they put out is through the lens of the Forgotten Realms. The main villain from their last big adventure was Acererak (from "Tomb of Horrors") in Chult. I mean a planehopping lich showing up in FR works, but damn. Before that they put out a combo adventure book with converted modules from over the years called "Tales from the Yawning Portal". Most of them were old Greyhawk adventures, but the book was still themed around FR. Before that, their big adventures were mostly reused concepts from famous old school adventures/settings.

They try to say FR isn't the default setting of 5E, but then refuse to put out any campaign setting materials or adventures besides for FR, or at least they are presented through the FR lens. Heck, the setting support for FR has been pathetic too. They claim the multiverse is the default setting of 5E, but apparently that only goes so far as the multiverse can be turned into FR material.

I actually don't play much 5E table-top because of this. If I have to write my own FR setting for the current year, I'll pass. I wanted a Greyhawk setting, but if I have to convert the old setting, I'll just play it in it's native edition. And that's exactly what I do. I run a 2E Greyhawk 576cy campaign while my brother runs a 1E Greyhawk 576cy parallel campaign and are having a ball! Both of those could have been 5E games, but for lack of support. Heck, if I wanted to run a homebrew FR campaign, I'd just run an AD&D era and rules version of it because there isn't even FR campaign guide for 5E.

Sorry for the highjack and tirade, just something that bugs me.

np, on the hijack/tirade I myself love FR but hate Greyhawk..lol and you're right about not being able to be in DS, as I used to play a lot in DS, and according to the source material, the world of Darksun is cut off from all the other crystal spheres.

I don't know how much you know about FR, but the Yawning Portal is an Inn in Waterdeep

Hey, we can have aliens show up next. This is a fantasy world where just about anything can happen. I don't care for dinosaurs, but I know they did in fact existed in D&D prior to WoC acquiring it as a property. Same with the Ravenloft Vampires. As you can see by the copyrights they came out in the 1990's and were owned by TSR. Now as for aliens showing up in the future, please remember the Faerun is on the planet Toril and has a sister (twin) planet named Abeir. All things in fantasy are possible... it's called magic Duh!

actually, the world of Forgotten Realms is called Abeir Toril, Aberir and Toril are not separate entities... as far as possible aliens, they have been in FR in the past, there's a spinoff setting of Forgotten Realms called Spelljammers which is about traversing the multiverse in space.

Dinosaurs have actually been in D&D since the 80s if I remember correct back when it was just called D&D before it became AD&D
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited June 2018

actually, the world of Forgotten Realms is called Abeir Toril, Aberir and Toril are not separate entities... as far as possible aliens, they have been in FR in the past, there's a spinoff setting of Forgotten Realms called Spelljammers which is about traversing the multiverse in space.

Dinosaurs have actually been in D&D since the 80s if I remember correct back when it was just called D&D before it became AD&D

Dinos have been part of D&D since the first Monster Manual came out in 1977.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • qexoticqexotic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 841 Arc User

abrams121 said:

that would be like saying Captain Kirk and Spock could be set in Star Wars or Darth Vader in Babylon 5
    Well, Doctor Who did feature in a short comic run in the Star Trek universe....... >:)

In an infinite universe (or more likely multiverse)...anything is possible :)

• abrams121abrams121 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    I bet heads would explode if they did a spelljammer mod
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    abrams121 said:

Listen, I hate that setting but now I want an expansion set in it just to see this playerbase's reactions.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    abrams121 said:

I'd be all for that, Spelljammers was fun
    ilithyn said:

abrams121 said:

Listen, I hate that setting but now I want an expansion set in it just to see this playerbase's reactions.
    even better, a Planescape mod
    edited June 2018

np, on the hijack/tirade I myself love FR but hate Greyhawk..lol and you're right about not being able to be in DS, as I used to play a lot in DS, and according to the source material, the world of Darksun is cut off from all the other crystal spheres.

I don't know how much you know about FR, but the Yawning Portal is an Inn in Waterdeep

:smiley: To each their own! Greyhawk has always been my first D&D love. FR is more of my D&D video game side thing. :wink:

I never got to play much Dark Sun, but I did think they were pretty hard cut off from everything else.

I did know about the Yawning Portal being in Waterdeep (and an entrance to Undermountain). That's what tweaked me a little about that adventure book. It tried to present the YP as a loose jumping off point for all those other adventures, including Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (Greyhawk), White Plume Mountain (Greyhawk), Against the Giants (Greyhawk), and Tomb of Horrors (later placed in Greyhawk). Really?!

Well... (deep breath), in 4E they actually made them 2 separate, sister worlds that were torn from each other when the multiverse was young. Toril was in the Prime, while Albeir was in the Elemental Chaos (a 4E mashup of the Ethereal Plane and the Inner Planes). When the Spellplague happened, both planets ran into each other (metaphysically) and swapped some land masses and, along with the Spellplague in general, caused a heck of a mess. Magic worked differently, Dragonborn walked Toril, cats and dogs living together, MASS HYSTERIA!!

4E FR was not well received by a lot of FR fans...

ilithyn said:

abrams121 said:

even better, a Planescape mod
    Planescape...

would love a Planescape mod if done right, using the eccentric speech they use...lol

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    Aliens are Abberations, Mindflayers in many ways are alien! As are Beholders and other creatures like them.
    Anyways would like to see them add more Demiplanes of Dread. And not just Strahds Realm. There are other interesting Demiplanes of Dread they can do!
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Yeh, most of the D&D worlds never got hit by an asteroid the size of Texas, so the dinos never went extinct. And some of the old aventure modules feature Big Bads that live in a "castle that fell from the sky". And had armored knights that were "full of metal string & carried lances that shot fire." 'Course most of those pre-date the Forgotten Realms.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
    Damn you, @greywynd! Stole my thunder. I was thinking the exact same thing. ;)
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
    edited June 2018
    From what I know Wizards has made them do their storyline content. Which is why we have seen all these modules. Based on the content being put out by them for 5e. So this could be another case of that. Next they will do the Many Eyes once its released. Then maybe do their own thing if nothing else is released then go back to do the next thing Wizards has put out. Just the way things are I guess.
    Been there. Done that. Exploded handguns and shot party members trying to figure things out.
    a little off topic but since I did bring it up earlier... not sure if anyone knows this but I just saw that steam has a Planescape Enhanced Edition

a little off topic but since I did bring it up earlier... not sure if anyone knows this but I just saw that steam has a Planescape Enhanced Edition

Yeah, they released an enhanced edition of the Planescape: Torment game a little over a year ago. It's been on my to do list, but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    They are already working on this here --> https://crypticstudios.com/magic But I don't know how far away it is?
    wb-cenders.gif
    that looks awesome IF done right
    So is everyone here Ready for Ravenloft?