test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Level Scaling Adjustments

2»

Comments

• wintermurlocwintermurloc Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    After trying this out, it just felt nonexistent. Still too op and an at will kills most things. Maybe the solution is to not encourage us to be there in the first place and spoil it for the levelling characters.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

Progression in a game like this means getting stronger.

End game players SHOULD dominate low level content.

With the proposed changes, an 18k, bis character won't be any stronger in Cloak Tower than someone at il400 running it for the first time.

Progression=negated.

Uh, no. You don't understand.

A level 13 character running Cloak Tower will probably have some level 1 and 2 enchantments, a few pieces of green gear, maybe a blue or purple levelling weapon if they're an alt or they have high-level friends.

My level 70 toon, in the party with them, will have full gold "IL 45" gear, Unparalleled enchant bonuses, set boosts, bonding runestones on a companion, and every slot filled with multistat "rank 2" enchants, all my powers and power points, and my much higher base ability scores. I'm fully confident that I'll still clearly be better at it than the L13 dude, or even than a 10K L70 player.

The fact that enemies no longer kill themselves when I walk into the room, without me using a power, does not mean my progress has been negated. For some stupid reason[1] I'm running L13 content as an L70 - it's a GOOD THING that the scaling is going to make it less boring than it is now.

[1]: "Because random levelling queue is hella profitable", yes, I know, and the reason it's profitable is so that L13 people wanting to run it can find a party, but it's still L13 content.

how will it be less boring? I don't see how it can be. it will just take longer. yuck. farming events is the part that worries me. I want it to be a mindless walk in the park. I prefer to let my pet do the work. I want them to fall over dead when they see me. destiny did something like this and it absolutely killed the fun for me.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

how will it be less boring? I don't see how it can be. it will just take longer. yuck. farming events is the part that worries me. I want it to be a mindless walk in the park. I prefer to let my pet do the work. I want them to fall over dead when they see me. destiny did something like this and it absolutely killed the fun for me.

The IDEAL is that your max-level toon will still win, but have to work for it. That's not what happens.

What happens is that your max-level toon is still max-level, and one-shots almost everything, and just takes a minute longer to run the levelling dungeon.

Fundamentally, level-capped toons should not run levelling dungeons and BIS toons should be *punished*, not encouraged, for running level-inappropriate content. But the change is still good compared to current: Massively overpowered toons who have no business in levelling content and who should NEVER run levelling dungeons are now still overpaid for running GERBIL-tier content, but at least it's SLIGHTLY less easy for them.

A better solution would be "L70s get zero rewards from all sub-L70 content, no matter what", or maybe "L70s get downlevelled enough that an L70 running L13 content has to work as hard as an L15 running L13 content", but that's not where we are.
  • linoge63linoge63 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 373 Arc User

lowjohn said:

Progression in a game like this means getting stronger.

End game players SHOULD dominate low level content.

With the proposed changes, an 18k, bis character won't be any stronger in Cloak Tower than someone at il400 running it for the first time.

Progression=negated.

Uh, no. You don't understand.

A level 13 character running Cloak Tower will probably have some level 1 and 2 enchantments, a few pieces of green gear, maybe a blue or purple levelling weapon if they're an alt or they have high-level friends.

My level 70 toon, in the party with them, will have full gold "IL 45" gear, Unparalleled enchant bonuses, set boosts, bonding runestones on a companion, and every slot filled with multistat "rank 2" enchants, all my powers and power points, and my much higher base ability scores. I'm fully confident that I'll still clearly be better at it than the L13 dude, or even than a 10K L70 player.

The fact that enemies no longer kill themselves when I walk into the room, without me using a power, does not mean my progress has been negated. For some stupid reason[1] I'm running L13 content as an L70 - it's a GOOD THING that the scaling is going to make it less boring than it is now.

[1]: "Because random levelling queue is hella profitable", yes, I know, and the reason it's profitable is so that L13 people wanting to run it can find a party, but it's still L13 content.

Yup I totally agree. Isnt that why we pine away for more and more power? Certainly not to have it drained away when choosing to engage past conquered zones. Just Yuk

• szerevaxszerevax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 33 Arc User
    With level scaling adjustments can you add option to enter (black lake, temple, defending village) skirmish to all character on 70 lvl who don't have titles and missed these skirmish?
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    I soloed Karrundax on my CW back when it first came back and again now on preview with the exact same copy of that CW. Both times, it was like a knife through hot butter. Nothing posed any sort of challenge. I could just ride to the blocked-off progression points, kill everything that cared to follow in a rotation, two if they were spread out, then keep on trucking.

It's very welcome that you're working on making level scaling work well, but at least for a 70 with some gear on it, the leveling dungeon content is still far too easy.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

I had far more fun with events when there was an element of challenge to them and coordination/teamwork actually mattered. If they get the level scaling right (which it currently isn't on preview), it opens the door to increasing rewards because the time spent also increases. I understand your point of view that you want a mindless farming experience, but honestly I play a MMO because it involves other people, teamwork, and communication.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • kayclo2kayclo2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User

I had far more fun with events when there was an element of challenge to them and coordination/teamwork actually mattered. If they get the level scaling right (which it currently isn't on preview), it opens the door to increasing rewards because the time spent also increases. I understand your point of view that you want a mindless farming experience, but honestly I play a MMO because it involves other people, teamwork, and communication.

completely agree with you,
    For increase the challenge of these dungeons is possible to use the gold rule of the "three level scaling" that is involved for every mob vs pg combat. If the downscale of a BiS lv 70 player push a little on this mechanic sure this create an easy way to cut all excessive overpower.
    if the downscale will proportional to the total item level this will solve the balance between a fresh lv 70 and an old player.(this is the only in game method to recognize how good is a player)

@noworries#8859 is possible to test on old dungeons the possibility to select at wich level i can run the istance for create a better feedback?
  • diotelpdiotelp Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Why do you think people should be allowed to bring any of their extra power into leveling dungeons? Make it so they're basically a level 15 in HAMSTER green gear
  • marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

The IDEAL is that your max-level toon will still win, but have to work for it. That's not what happens.

What happens is that your max-level toon is still max-level, and one-shots almost everything, and just takes a minute longer to run the levelling dungeon.

Fundamentally, level-capped toons should not run levelling dungeons and BIS toons should be *punished*, not encouraged, for running level-inappropriate content. But the change is still good compared to current: Massively overpowered toons who have no business in levelling content and who should NEVER run levelling dungeons are now still overpaid for running GERBIL-tier content, but at least it's SLIGHTLY less easy for them.

A better solution would be "L70s get zero rewards from all sub-L70 content, no matter what", or maybe "L70s get downlevelled enough that an L70 running L13 content has to work as hard as an L15 running L13 content", but that's not where we are.
    Do folks even play this game before commenting?

Who in the world wants to "work" for the HAMSTER AD given out from these dailies. People are doing it to get it done as fast as possible to get it over with. It will NEVER be fun and the rewards will never make it exiting. No one wants it to take longer or to "work" for it.

These dungeons unfortunately are needed due to the way progression works in this game. A new level 70 is not going to be able to do the next tier of dungeons. Not even close. So give L70s zero reward from this and then there will be zero new level 70s continuing to playing the game.
  • marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    diotelp said:

Why do you think people should be allowed to bring any of their extra power into leveling dungeons? Make it so they're basically a level 15 in HAMSTER green gear

Lets clear up a big misconception. These are leveling dungeons to the sub 70s. To the new and mid range level 70s these are their major AD revenue stream. Don't forget the devs are the ones that threw everyone together into the misguided random queue nonsense.

If you find the dungeon too easy, take off some gear. Don't expect them to kick everyone back to the dark ages.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Remove your bondings and try again.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • kayclo2kayclo2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    If the level scaling system will work smooth it's will possible to increase the reward for a level 70 player that joint to an old dungeon.
    with a purple gear at the end chest i think that some player can enjoy them for the same reward of etos (with geared people, epic etos can be close on 6 min, it's not challenging at all)
    with a system like this you can eliminate epic version of dungeon and place the reward on normal version

Now that the update has gone live on PC. How has it worked out for you guys? I play from PS4.

I don't know any L70+ players who are running levelling dungeons today. Everyone got their full 100K AD running Ravenloft.

That probably won't maintain, but for day 1, that's my view.
    Day 2 (and 3): Nobody top-tier is running Randoms because Randoms have nothing to offer. All they give is AD and seals, which are AD. And everyone is maxed out on AD.

Ravenloft drops salvage like rain and is SO MUCH FUN.
  • metalsabrwolfmetalsabrwolf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 59 Arc User
    I have noticed that mount powers are also affected by the scaling of lvl zones. Not sure if anyone knew about it just wanted to point it out for other ppl wondering about it
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

Now that the update has gone live on PC. How has it worked out for you guys? I play from PS4.

Now that it's been out about a month, my wife and I are down to running the Leveling queue once per day and the Intermediate queue once per day. After that, we go to Barovia or we run epic dungeons. We're looting enough salvageable items that these changes haven't dented our rAD production. We're finding the game to be more fun than it was previously.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    I find I'm actually spending time chasing things that alts need to have done than chasing rAD. The rAD comes from doing stuff other than actually looking for it.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
This discussion has been closed.