test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[MOD 14] Congrats to the devs!

Please note, I am someone who is very hard to please in terms of the video-gaming content given that I have a lot of experience when I look back in the years. This time around the content in Neverwinter absolutely deserves the praise. Every part of it felt just right. I want to congratulate you on your work and the work of anyone involved in terms of the design, music and concept.

I was wondering when will the Wizards of the Coast give the green light for the Vampire content which was kind of recently in the spotlight. There was a lot of speculation among me and my friends and we expected it to arrive before the Chult. Still, the addition did emerge after all! And how! On my avatar there is Raziel, one of the main characters, both antagonist and protagonist of one of the best video-game series called Legacy of Kain. Not your usual vampire story, so as it is fairly obvious the vampire-oriented content will intrigue me and spark my interest.

I was not expecting a lot from MOD14 frankly speaking, but then I did go to the first map of the village and the overall experience was a rock solid 10/10. The atmospheric presentation is what built most of it. And it was enough. I actually wanted to explore, much like I did back in the days I was collecting the Mountaineer title. The voice acting was also great. The new textures for the homes and the intrinsic layers of the map development were spot-on! In the background, a huge castle reminiscent only of the portrayals of early cinema capturing the essence of XVIII and IXX century Gothic novel movement revolving around the human fear and architectural marvel intertwined with the love stories and damned lives of those who were unlucky enough to stand in the path of the Neutral Evil lord. And this fear and atmosphere follows the player, represented in the fog around the map, instantaneously turning the person back from the edge as in to simulate the no-escape from the area. Truly a great detail. I am almost certain that I do see some little Castlevania influence here and there which can only be a good thing. I slowly went towards a cornfield in front of one of the homes. A quick scan with my crosshair gave no inclination of the possible enemies, who at the very moment started going out of the field in groups. This was only followed by a soothing, yet elegant music, probably a violoncello composition. It was deep and sorrowful, completely matching the atmosphere of despair and sadness, much akin to the Dark Souls Firelink Shrine music. Spot on!

The way night falls and the way the boss follows the player is absolutely magnificent. I like the sort of an audio-visual contact, the fading translucent smoke/fade which trails the player and the vampire lord who wants to eat when the night falls. Anyone who comes close to one of the four(?) areas of the map is under the direct possibility to be attacked by the vampire lord. Enjoying that.

The way the vampires do not die, but their smoke/soul leaves the body is also a great detail.

Thank you for making this.
Best Regards
True Neutral
Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language

Comments

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you for sharing this! On a personal note, Ravenloft is the first module I've been around for since it's inception (when I started in Nov. 2016, they were already working on M13 content) and so much team work went into its development. Kind words are most definitely appreciated :)
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer
    On the flipside, we loved working on Ravenloft, so I'm glad we're meeting in the middle!
  • sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    I absolutely love dark, scary games.
    I would love to see Cryptic expand this dark,horror theme into other areas such as:
    strongholds
    Or almost any where else in game.

Don't forget spooky ambient music such as this:
    youtu.be/bjDkRpDMuwk?t=196

Thanks for making Ravenloft, Cryptic Studios.
    The AD farmers often slam you guys/girls on the forum, but some of us realize that quality is always better than quantity.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I will be honest, the first time I went into Barovia it gave me a feeling of like I was going into Hogsmeade, with Castle Ravenloft being sort of like Hogswart. But that is not a bad thing, as it also fits the theme. The forest does give a forbidden forest type of vibe.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    The work done really shows. There are, of course, people like me who are interested in the atmosphere and the artistic work put into the game. This shows a promising quality content put right in front and it completely revitalized the game for me. I've been here since early beta and in my humble opinion this is one of the best additions to NWO.

On a side note, I hope you do not mind me taking this opportunity to ask the following question that's been bugging me for some time now...
    Is there any chance, whatsoever, that a vampire class might become playable in the future? Is there any consideration for this?
    Any sort of info is welcome.
    Thank you.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language