test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What if...

greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
Makos' phylactery is the ring we were given for doing Red Ice?
I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.

Comments

• pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    *brains asploded*

That would have been a bold move on his part, but my jaw would be on the floor.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    It would be a move no one saw coming. Especially since no one expected him to lich out in the first place.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Wait Makos became a lich?
    Did he Confirm or Deny it?
    It says Celeste Deduced that he might be a lich but has it been official that hes become a lich?
    Too soon?
    edited May 2018
    No, it's not too soon, it's been several weeks. @thevampinator If you've beaten the Fane in Omu, go talk to Makos about it, he has more to say on the matter.

The ring has a couple problems though. First, he might not be to thrilled with an adventurer carrying around his "life" in their hands, literally. Secondly, what if someone tossed it? I could be lost in the grass in the River District or something!!!

That first point gives me an idea though. Celeste is obviously disturbed by the whole thing and is distrustful of him. What if he ends up giving his phylactery over to her as reassurance and for safe keeping? As in keeping him safe AND keeping others safe from him? He seems pragmatic enough not to do something like that, but it would be interesting. Sadly, that would also mostly close the door on him becoming... a problem, which would also be interesting.
    She did say that if he goes totally dark side she'd destroy his phylactery herself. She may already be trying to figure out where it is.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    greywynd said:

Makos' phylactery is the ring we were given for doing Red Ice?

Then can we get the devs to let us salvage the thing. Hey! Don't know about you lot but if I gotta off Makos, might as well get paid. >:)
    pterias said:

No, it's not too soon, it's been several weeks. @thevampinator If you've beaten the Fane in Omu, go talk to Makos about it, he has more to say on the matter.

The ring has a couple problems though. First, he might not be to thrilled with an adventurer carrying around his "life" in their hands, literally. Secondly, what if someone tossed it? I could be lost in the grass in the River District or something!!!

That first point gives me an idea though. Celeste is obviously disturbed by the whole thing and is distrustful of him. What if he ends up giving his phylactery over to her as reassurance and for safe keeping? As in keeping him safe AND keeping others safe from him? He seems pragmatic enough not to do something like that, but it would be interesting. Sadly, that would also mostly close the door on him becoming... a problem, which would also be interesting.

Heck, I'm stashing my copy of his ring right next to ole Neverember's Promissary notes. At the time, didn't know if it would be of some use later so thought it best to sacrifice some inventory space.

Agree with others that its a interesting idea. I'm wondering if the devs will elude to the phylactery again in the upcoming expansion. Maybe its an odd item in the new dungeon. I mean, what better way to safeguard it? If I were Makos, I would feel fully confident that it was safely tucked away in a demiplane that few can access, and guarded by an OP boss that only an elite few will be able to beat. My two coppers.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • wd1966wd1966 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    pterias said:

Presuming there isn't another familial tiefling bond to play from, it might make a nice doorway to spin in and out of "The Abyss" or Waterdeep, then extraplanar clash with some of the beefed upped devils, demons, or such like Asmodius, Rhohini, Orcus, or Bahamut.

The possibilities abound.
    Keep in mind Vizeran DeVir is in the Abyss and presumably plotting against Makos as well.
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    So if I accidentally salvage the ring, did I killed Makos?
    It would be another mystery. Who is the tiefling bound too, in a blood pact? LOL!
    Arikas. It's in Makos' bio.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    AAAAAAAGH!
    Spoilers!

I shouldn't be here right now!
    kangkeok said:

Not possible. The ring isn't flagged for salvage. Maybe Makos wanted it to be indestructible to keep him safe.
    greywynd said:

kangkeok said:

Not possible. The ring isn't flagged for salvage. Maybe Makos wanted it to be indestructible to keep him safe.
    Maybe we need to throw it at the lava pit in Mount Hotenow. Its proven in LOTR.
    That only worked because that was where the One Ring was forged.
    Hmm, so I wonder where the Other Ring was forged...
    pterias said:

Hmm, so I wonder where the Other Ring was forged...

Maybe at the top of that moradin altar in dwarven valley.

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer

Heck, I'm stashing my copy of his ring right next to ole Neverember's Promissary notes. At the time, didn't know if it would be of some use later so thought it best to sacrifice some inventory space.

Saving receipts is a good thing.

Saving receipts is a good thing.

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    greywynd said:

kangkeok said:

Wow. Talk about a masterstroke, if true.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,184 Arc User
    That is the only ring I know that has utility slot and it is very useful. I make sure all my main characters to go extra miles into SKT just to get it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    I don't know if I'd kill Makos if I get the chance :p He never seemed quite right... Would you people?
    FrozenFire
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    Putting his phylactery in the ring is really a huge plot twist of tornado proportions!

But, i was re-reading his "justification" story again the other night... and something is amiss...

He says that he did it to avoid something... more than likely his blood pact...
    But then... he gets all semi-righteous about how power is a means to an end... and end of what? Does he have some grand scheme in mind?
    Then there is a veiled threat towards the end about a confrontation with us...

And let us not forget the fact that he still has the maze engine...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    He destroyed the Maze Engine. It is collapsing as the two of you leave, assuming you stayed for the achievement.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User

Putting his phylactery in the ring is really a huge plot twist of tornado proportions!

But, i was re-reading his "justification" story again the other night... and something is amiss...

He says that he did it to avoid something... more than likely his blood pact...
    But then... he gets all semi-righteous about how power is a means to an end... and end of what? Does he have some grand scheme in mind?
    Then there is a veiled threat towards the end about a confrontation with us...

And let us not forget the fact that he still has the maze engine...

If you manage to win in Svardborg, talking to Celeste afterwards reveals that Makos was under constant assault by "his father" attempting to gain control over him. Celeste, Knox, and Xuna had been planning to attempt to free Makos from his father's influence before his unexpected death.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    wd1966 said:

It would be another mystery. Who is the tiefling bound too, in a blood pact? LOL!

Makos grew up as a poor child on the streets begging and stealing. His bold ambition and stubborn nature caused him to seek power and overcome his situation. Makos studied magic under his master and learned all that he could. He soon encountered his patron, a fiendish entity known as Arikas. As all warlocks must do to become a warlock, he entered into an infernal pact with the fiend Arikas. His ambition turned on Arikas and defeated him taking the fiend's enchanted blade. But as we all should know, demons and fiends only return to the Nine Hells to lick their wounds and await for another attempt.
    wb-cenders.gif

Makos grew up as a poor child on the streets begging and stealing. His bold ambition and stubborn nature caused him to seek power and overcome his situation. Makos studied magic under his master and learned all that he could. He soon encountered his patron, a fiendish entity known as Arikas. As all warlocks must do to become a warlock, he entered into an infernal pact with the fiend Arikas. His ambition turned on Arikas and defeated him taking the fiend's enchanted blade. But as we all should know, demons and fiends only return to the Nine Hells to lick their wounds and await for another attempt.

Interesting information, this is, but all tieflings have blood pacts. Makos's does pose the question of his freedom, following the Jungles of Chult. Plus, there is the multiverse angles of the Nine Hells and Neverwinter. I'd say there could be a couple adventure zone storylines running through there.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    This ^^ is the official biography from Randy “Arkayne” Mosiondz, Senior Game Designer and Loremaster, in 2016 during the Maze Engine campaign. I don't know what else to say. Randy still work for them?

wb-cenders.gif
    wd1966 said:

Interesting information, this is, but all tieflings have blood pacts. Makos's does pose the question of his freedom, following the Jungles of Chult. Plus, there is the multiverse angles of the Nine Hells and Neverwinter. I'd say there could be a couple adventure zone storylines running through there.

Blood pacts tend to be a warlock thing. Not necessarily a tiefling thing.