test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Need/Greed Rolling

noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
We have received a lot of feedback that the loot roll could both be distracting and cover up too much of the screen space during crucial moments.

Here are the changes:
  • When the loot mode is set to "Need or Greed", all uncommon (green) loot and higher will automatically be rolled on. If a player can roll Need, they will. Otherwise they will roll Greed.
  • Any loot that is Bind on Pickup will default to the old style of roll where players can choose to opt in or out.
  • Each player has a personal loot threshold which will determine what rarity of loot they want to roll on. Example, if you set your threshold to "rare" you would pass on all uncommon loot rolls.
  • The results are show in a small window at the top of the screen and in chat.
  • Other modes of party loot roles are unchanged.
Pictures coming soon, all feedback is welcome.

Party Loot Settings:

Item Pickup:

Roll Completed:

Post edited by noworries#8859 on

Comments

• minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    Realistically what does this do that setting the party loot to need or greed and the threshold to blue/rare does now other than for BoP items ? (other than allowing you to pass on green items so they get reallocated)
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

Realistically what does this do that setting the party loot to need or greed and the threshold to blue/rare does now other than for BoP items ? (other than allowing you to pass on green items so they get reallocated)

If an item isn't BoP and you are set to Need Greed, rolls are automatic. There is no pop up to choose what roll you want.
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    I seriously wish they'd just scrap loot rolls altogether and have INSTANCED loot for each player.
    Would save a lot of player time and constant interruptions to gameplay.
  • chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    This is the first step towards the auto-loot pet/comp that you guys have mentioned ?
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

If an item isn't BoP and you are set to Need Greed, rolls are automatic. There is no pop up to choose what roll you want.
    Which there wasn't anyway for green items which are the screen clogging ones if you set the loot threshold to blue.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    Overall, I like this change. However, I long ago set the threshold for the party to blue and am not bothered by this in most cases. It will be a help in Chult, especially as I mostly group with my wife. It'll be nice for us not to have to choose to roll on the rare drops and just have that done automatically.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

I dislike this change. The group I run with we do hunts often and many will pass even if we can need or greed on it to ensure that who should get the drop gets the drop. This new method IMO is not the way to go.

What I wanted with the window is make it smaller and off to the left or right hand side of the screen. I still want to need, greed or pass on it.
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

I dislike this change. The group I run with we do hunts often and many will pass even if we can need or greed on it to ensure that who should get the drop gets the drop. This new method IMO is not the way to go.

What I wanted with the window is make it smaller and off to the left or right hand side of the screen. I still want to need, greed or pass on it.
    The other methods besides Need/Greed still work how they used to, the group could use Leader Decides for example. Also it only auto rolls on items that don't bind on pickup, which means the items can be traded off to the other person.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User

@mebengalsfan#9264
    There is no issue with hunts. The gear is bind on pickup so won't fall under the new changes.

The lure pieces can be traded, so if you trusted someone not to roll on the drop before I would assume you'd also trust the same person to trade you back your lure piece if they accidentally won it in the new system. An extra step for sure, but requires no more trust than the current system.

@noworries#8859 Console does not have the extra loot modes such as leader decides. I'd love it if we did though....
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    rotfl this new system allows you to pick up green stuff and auto-roll it into another player's limited inventory space

mayhem . . . pure mayhem

forcing players with limited space to ignore low value items - even ones that stack
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    edited May 2018

rotfl this new system allows you to pick up green stuff and auto-roll it into another player's limited inventory space

mayhem . . . pure mayhem

forcing players with limited space to ignore low value items - even ones that stack

Two clicks: ID all green gear.
    Three clicks: Convert all identified green gear to RP.

Oh no, you trolled me by adding all those Peridots to my inventory instead of taking some of them for yourself, you baiter you. What a monster you are, so mean, it scares me! Please don't throw me into that there briar patch.

Moderator edited out some inappropriateness.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • gripnir78gripnir78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 374 Arc User
    I belive that new system - while sounds great - may bring a little problem in Omu. While you hunt tier 2 or 3 hunts you receiving a green drop - but those are artifact belts, cloaks and weapons (tyrant). This may bring troubles in such drops distribution. While belts and cloaks are not BtA or BtC party member can still trade them to the one who needs it (if he is willing to do that) weapons from a tyrant are BtA. At this point we agree on such drop who takes what. With a new system some may get another - not needed copy of weapons while others may not get those for their mains or alts...
    edited May 2018
    gripnir78 said:

I belive that new system - while sounds great - may bring a little problem in Omu. While you hunt tier 2 or 3 hunts you receiving a green drop - but those are artifact belts, cloaks and weapons (tyrant). This may bring troubles in such drops distribution. While belts and cloaks are not BtA or BtC party member can still trade them to the one who needs it (if he is willing to do that) weapons from a tyrant are BtA. At this point we agree on such drop who takes what. With a new system some may get another - not needed copy of weapons while others may not get those for their mains or alts...

If an item will bind on pickup then it will trigger a normal role which will allow the members in your group to pass on it to make sure the right member gets the item.
  • fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Why do we need "need/greed" at all? You either want an item or you don't. Even if my toon can't use an item, one of my alts could. So why am I forced to roll greed then? That way I have probably no chances of getting it all.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    The most irritating thing to me about loot rolling is when you've got some dullard up ahead who's sailed past every living thing, yet wins every single roll for the stuff that's dropped in her/his absence.
  • majenkwaad#7743 majenkwaad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Hello I'm new to the game and tried to search everywhere until i found this topic. So me and my girlfriend started to play this game recently ( still doing quest chains to unlock chat/trade etc. ) And as we proceed with lvling there is items that drop for me or her but when the party option is need or greed it automatically rolls. Even if the items is specifically for me or her class. And when we can't still trade there is no way we can get these items ;/

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/2V4bUz8"><a href="//imgur.com/2V4bUz8"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hello I'm new to the game and tried to search everywhere until i found this topic. So me and my girlfriend started to play this game recently ( still doing quest chains to unlock chat/trade etc. ) And as we proceed with lvling there is items that drop for me or her but when the party option is need or greed it automatically rolls. Even if the items is specifically for me or her class. And when we can't still trade there is no way we can get these items ;/

When you're in a group, right-click on your picture in the upper left corner and choose "Set Loot Mode". You can change it to "Party Leader Decides" and that will let whoever is the lead pick who gets it.
  • majenkwaad#7743 majenkwaad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thank you very much xD I don't know how I missed that one. I was a bit confused from the other games i played in the past.

Thanks! Good luck and have fun.

Thank you very much xD I don't know how I missed that one. I was a bit confused from the other games i played in the past.

Thanks! Good luck and have fun.

You're welcome. You could also set it to "Free For All", but the odds are you're going to forget you made this change when grouped with other people and at least "Party Leader Decides" gives you a reminder and some control.
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    its interesting level 70 need/greed rolls . . . at green item level, in practical terms nobody " needs " the item ( or conversely everybody needs the item [ needs to burn it for RP ] ) so the choice and item level are actually not relevant

item rolls should be preset to blue level and above

with automatic pickup for green and below

the only exception to this seems to be black pearls . . . everybody really needs these
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    You can set your own preference, be it green, blue or purple.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    so it is stated that auto roll only happens on tradeable things. yet from what I've seen it doesn't appear the tarroka cards are tradeable? or are they and I just can't figure it out?
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

so it is stated that auto roll only happens on tradeable things. yet from what I've seen it doesn't appear the tarroka cards are tradeable? or are they and I just can't figure it out?

You can trade tarokka cards through the mail.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
This discussion has been closed.