test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Astral Diamonds

Comments

• nl54#3191 nl54 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    To be fair, this change will make AD more valuable. It's just like the real world. The more currency that's in circulation the less valuable it becomes, making AH prices skyrocket. Look at the economy in Venezuela, for example. Their money is worthless. 50 bolivars might buy you a roll of toilet paper.
    Ninurta - 16.1k Half-Orc GWF

Ereshkigal - 12k Tiefling SW

Aurora Ravensong - 11.6k Drow CW
  • dreadvenemousdreadvenemous Member Posts: 162 Arc User

First it is important to note this isn't a change due to botters as many people have suggested in this thread, it is a change to improve the value of Astral Diamonds.

We could, as an example, raise the ZAX exchange cap to 1,000 on PC. It would rise up significantly to at least 750, but likely higher. This wouldn't make auction house items more affordable for players as the value of AD just decreased significantly and would drive up the auction house prices. This would require players to grind even more AD to buy what they did previously.

Limiting the ZAX to 500, helps give some stability to the value of AD, but not fully as there is still a lot of RAD entering the economy each day and only so much leaving. Our changes are intended to both help bring the prices in the AH, and the ZAX down, as well as help newer players and those with less playtime earn a bit more AD to help them out.

We did pull data on how much of our player base earns over 100k RAD on any given day before implementing this change, and that percentage is lower single digits. That number goes even lower when looking at how many accounts earn over 100k RAD every single day. A player can always log in on days they aren't grinding out AD to refine extra RAD on their characters.

Keeping the value in AD is an ongoing project for us and we will certainly be watching how this change impacts the ZAX and AH and can always make adjustments in the future to ease back the limits if that seems like the right choice.

In other words - for you long term players who've invested in extra characters and really work in the system, thanks for the pickles, but we're done milking you. Is that about right?
  • faredawg1faredawg1 Member Posts: 81 Arc User

First it is important to note this isn't a change due to botters as many people have suggested in this thread, it is a change to improve the value of Astral Diamonds.

We could, as an example, raise the ZAX exchange cap to 1,000 on PC. It would rise up significantly to at least 750, but likely higher. This wouldn't make auction house items more affordable for players as the value of AD just decreased significantly and would drive up the auction house prices. This would require players to grind even more AD to buy what they did previously.

Limiting the ZAX to 500, helps give some stability to the value of AD, but not fully as there is still a lot of RAD entering the economy each day and only so much leaving. Our changes are intended to both help bring the prices in the AH, and the ZAX down, as well as help newer players and those with less playtime earn a bit more AD to help them out.

We did pull data on how much of our player base earns over 100k RAD on any given day before implementing this change, and that percentage is lower single digits. That number goes even lower when looking at how many accounts earn over 100k RAD every single day. A player can always log in on days they aren't grinding out AD to refine extra RAD on their characters.

Keeping the value in AD is an ongoing project for us and we will certainly be watching how this change impacts the ZAX and AH and can always make adjustments in the future to ease back the limits if that seems like the right choice.

Someone please explain to me the value of the ZAX, other than to convert AD to Zen? Am I missing something? Why is the Exchange such a concern to the Devs? Is there anything of real value in the Zen store besides maybe VIP and perhaps bags and bank space? The AD sinks I am dealing with are those of upgrading Companions and refining gear and especially gems. Will you be reducing the prices of companion upgrades or items from the Bazaar to compensate my two thirds loss in AD generating ability?
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

Additional AD sinks is also an area we are looking into and have some future plans already, but continue to investigate fun/rewarding ways to spend AD.

I think the important part of sharps suggestion is that it effects only the most wealthy of the citizens of neverwinter. I think it's important that the sinks are things that don't affect the new to mid level players who only have a small to moderate amount of wealth to begin with.

• afaik4#4290 afaik4 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2018
    Seems, like Cryptic's looking for some way to leave its project alive. But making a '100k AD per day' cap would rather make some players leave the game. Still, I can make a couple more accounts to farm the same amount of AD, as it was before.

In its stead it will be better (for both players and developer) to remove cap of an ingame AD/ZEN exchange, or raise it from 500 AD/1 ZEN (1000 on a RU-server) to 2-3k AD/1 ZEN, so that unofficial exchanges will be no longer in such need.
    The problem is, that ZEN cannot cost 500 or 1k AD, it costs much more, indeed (in some unofficial exchangers ZEN costs up to 1500 ADs).

Thus, Cryptic shall obtain some donations, and player can use ADs for whatever he wants (there are billions of ADs waiting for an exchange, but once the price cap will be removed, there will be no longer such amount of diamonds here, and people could finally obtain their ZEN, or donate ZEN with higher price, to obtain some more AD); anybody will be satisfied, I think.

P.S. And a little off-topic question - where is the Arc Quests? When it is supposed to be launched again?

TL:DR
    - 100k AD per day cap is a one more nail in the game's coffin.
    - remove ZEN/AD exchange price cap or raise it significantly; both Cryptic and players will get whatever they want from the game.
    - my English is not ideal.

edit: oh, there was ZAX raising thoughts before. More reasons to listen to them.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    @noworries#8859 Another good way to delete AD is capitalize on cubes of augmentation, there are an untapped resource with the potential to remove so much AD. On every set of gear, remove 400 from each stat and make that 400 roll between 100-400 (1200-1600 for hp) on top of the items "base stats". Then, have cubs of augmentation allow you to reroll each stat bracket, so people who want to "BiS" their gear, will need to spend a lot of extra AD to get there. Even someone with just a "good enough" mindset who say only wants to get over 300 on every bracket, will spend some millions to get there. I feel like the power of cubes of augmentation is underutilized in terms of what it has to offer as an ad sink.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Man I thought having the 100k AD cap was a bad idea until I read "remove ZEN/AD exchange price cap or raise it significantly; both Cryptic and players will get whatever they want from the game.".

That is so bad it's unreal. This is NOT something I want. I don't wanna have to spend 1m AD for 1 month of VIP.
  • kaudilhokaudilho Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    @noworries#8859
    Well, on the russian server ZAX cap is 1000 ad, so it's effecting even more. Did dev's team had in mind this?
    Harding Grim
    Guild:
    Dragon Server-Essence of Aggression
    Drider Server- TheWolves
    youtube channel
  • blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    Limiting AD refine on acc is hurting the players who put extra effort in. I couldnt care less about it at this point but when i was putting extra effort i wouldnt like that limit.
  • pointybagelspointybagels Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    faredawg1 said:

Someone please explain to me the value of the ZAX, other than to convert AD to Zen? Am I missing something? Why is the Exchange such a concern to the Devs? Is there anything of real value in the Zen store besides maybe VIP and perhaps bags and bank space? The AD sinks I am dealing with are those of upgrading Companions and refining gear and especially gems. Will you be reducing the prices of companion upgrades or items from the Bazaar to compensate my two thirds loss in AD generating ability?

Wards, wards, and wards.
  • jaramyahjaramyah Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    As a player that spends on average $50+/month in Zen, I'd love to see the AH prices drop.

I look at 1 Mil AD as $20, and not x amount of toons I have to salvage drops on. As far as salvage goes, I look at it as AD/hr, and I'd rather spend my $10/hr wages than grind that hour for 500K AD (I doubt it's possible to get anywhere close to that much in an hour). I'd rather do game content and help my guildies improve their toons or complete their quests.

As far as putting more on the Bazaar, I like that idea. Since I have VIP discount, I'd rather buy Zen and ZAX it for the 15% discount - as long as base AD price = 500 * Zen price. It would give me an idea that I'm "getting a discount" - and even better on Bazaar sales! Sure, some stuff would only be purchased via Zen, but that'd be constant VIP sales to get that 15%. This would also mean that more players like myself that use cash to get Zen would be willing to buy it outside of the sales weekends.

The past year, I've spent far less AD on the AH due to prices. These days, I'm only ZAX'ing for AD to buy MoPs and upgrade toons since AH prices are far too high to be reasonable to spend cash on them. ($20 in AD is way cheaper than buying the upgrade token bag for legendary. All of but one of my Legendary pets have been upgraded this way.)

Now, I can feel that I'm not "missing out" when I spend 3 hours grinding for Trophy (or other low RNG) drops, and not feel like I "missed out on" my daily AD cap. Since RP updates make the ID'd item drops worth looting, I can play as I've always played and not resent not having an extra 4 hrs/day of play to "earn money" via AD.

I appreciate the fuller explanation of the general changes, and the statistics that were done regarding how much AD most players average a day and that fewer than 1% of the accounts actually earn more than 100K/day. The 100K number makes since rather than some random number pulled out of the either.
  • lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    I don't know about "far" too low but I'd personally be happier with 150K or 200K. Of course, I say that as someone who makes *most* of his AD by salvaging on alts. I'm not only "not the target audience" of this change, I'm one of the people the change is intended to impact: The goal is to make playing my primary toons more appealing and farming on my bag alts less appealing, and I get that.
  • frogwalloper#6494 frogwalloper Member Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I think these are great changes, and well thought out - ought to definitely deflate the AD which is a very positive thing for the Exchange, and good for the Cryptic coffers too - which is good for all of us.

The combination of these two gives me pause, though - for a number of reasons:

Below are the AD changes to the random queues:

• Leveling Queue: 8,000 first run / 1,000 repeat ....

"The first run bonuses are now account gated meaning that only one character can earn those first run bonuses per day."

1) This is pretty much going to depopulate the dungeons again, won't it?
    2) 8,000 AD a day is a drastic decrease for your average player. It's, what 15-30% of what a player with 2-4 characters currently makes? I'm wondering how that'll effect things.

Maybe the first run should be worth more? Like 50% more. That's still a 50% cut, but it still gives time/dollar poor players something to spend.
    Post edited by frogwalloper#6494 on
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Has anyone given any thought how this will effect guilds and alliances? It is becoming more and more difficult to come up with the AD to level up the guilds. 2x AD, gone. AD vouchers, gone. Now restricting how much AD can be earned and refined. I see troubled times for guilds.
  • skyoperrs#1783 skyoperrs Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Worst and worst..
    And when you get more than 100k ad per day ? Well you will never take back your ad...

I don't know why you nerfing everything on the game but one day we (players) will nerf your

Has anyone given any thought how this will effect guilds and alliances? It is becoming more and more difficult to come up with the AD to level up the guilds. 2x AD, gone. AD vouchers, gone. Now restricting how much AD can be earned and refined. I see troubled times for guilds.

Stronghold-AD from Leadership is untouched and should be plenty.
  • iimrmonkeyii#3625 iimrmonkeyii Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    @noworries#8859
    I don't post much on the forums. However, this change forced me to sign in and offer my input.

I have been playing Neverwinter FOR A LONG TIME.

I have 3 toons on Xbox that were nearly maxed out when I moved to Thailand and had to switch to PC.

Now, I have another 3 toons are PC that are in great shape. Needless to say, I have spent some actual money on the game (quite an impressive amount actually). Feel free to check my spending history and be aware that my Xbox account is similar.

If the AD is capped at 100k for an entire account I might actually stop playing the game.

AD sinks are a great idea... I also agree that increasing the value of AD is a good idea.

However, THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT! This "cap" is a change that will force me to play the game differently. I won't be able to engage with your content the way that I choose anymore. So I am asking you this question. Why do you want to limit the way that people choose to play the game? WHY CANT I CONTINUE TO GENERATE SALVAGE (and refine AD) OVER 100K each day? What am I supposed to do when I have all my campaigns finished and have hit my (account wide) AD cap? Should I go to the Enclave and try to make AD trading (boring), farm one trivial trial over and over to sell some RNG based drops, or should I just log off and wait for tomorrow to play?

Why do you want to introduce more caps that limit the way that we engage with your content?

Here is my advice...I hope that others might agree with me.
    This advice is not focused on the problem of "the value of AD". This is just my general advice for improving our experience in-game.

Add more dungeons. Also, create end-game content that is MUCH more difficult for people at "end-game". This content should take a lot longer to complete. It should also be more rewarding so that it is worth your time and effort. Offer something that players have to fully coordinate to complete successfully. IT IS A JOKE THAT Cradle of the Death God (the "end-game") is easily farmed at 10-14 minutes per run. Why aren't their impressive videos on Youtube of our "end-game" content with the focus on "no wipes/deaths". THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! All the videos that are "impressive" atm are those where some group finished the content 10 seconds faster. The new "hardest" trial even had to be patched because we were killing Atropal before that Acerak guy could even spawn. <-------BTW this STILL happens sometimes LOL!

Please considering adding more dungeons (<b class="Bold">with some extremely difficult ones) and avoiding making changes that limit the "viable" ways to play your game and progress. This will provide average players with more content to run outside of campaigns, and it will provide people at end-game something to love!

I am not angry at you and the other developers, and I'm not saying that your game sucks. I basically ONLY play Neverwinter atm. However, this change might cause me to move on to another game. I just thought I would come in here and drop my input because I really do enjoy your game.

lowjohn said:

Stronghold-AD from Leadership is untouched and should be plenty.
    Depends on the size of the guild and how many members can make crates. Leadership is a real grind.
  • draconislupusdraconislupus Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    @noworries#8859 Will the AD still auto-refine if you are not on at reset? Or will we have to log on and refine it or get nothing for that day?
  • martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Nobody read?:

The 100k cap is the least of it, this is the most important:

"Below are the AD changes to the random queues:
    Leveling Queue: 8,000 first run / 1,000 repeat
    Intermediate Queue: 12,000 first run / 2,000 repeat / 2,400 role bonus
    Advanced: 15,000 first run / 3,000 repeat / 3,000 role bonus
    Expert: 5,000 role bonus

The first run bonuses are now account gated meaning that only one character can earn those first run bonuses per day."

That will affect severely to new players.
    That is *so totally* not the important, or even relevant, thing.
    lowjohn said:

That is *so totally* not the important, or even relevant, thing.

To which "that" are you speaking of?
  • shawnwizzle#8539 shawnwizzle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    For me this is awesome. I run 2 characters so now I finally get to refine more AD. But I think those people who paid for extra character slots so they could refine more AD (and you guys at Cryptic know that's why people want more character slots) should be refunded somehow. This just doesn't seem fair to them.
    edited May 2018

For me this is awesome. I run 2 characters so now I finally get to refine more AD. But I think those people who paid for extra character slots so they could refine more AD (and you guys at Cryptic know that's why people want more character slots) should be refunded somehow. This just doesn't seem fair to them.

Some people maybe, but not all. I have one of each type. Enjoy running content on each. Being able to refine on each is just a nice side effect. But now, I will just run the randoms with one. No point in doing it with the others.
  • gh05ttr41ngh05ttr41n Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Many of the previous comments all share my concerns as well. I have 11 toons so I can farm Ad making over 300k per day If I have the time. I am on console so no bots there for us to worry and our zen Ad is usually around 370 not over 500 like pc. This should be lifted either completely or something like 300k to 400k per day per account. And having it go into the shared bin like zen would be much better than putting it in the bank.
    *shakes head* you will lose a chuck of your player base if you don't change it.
  • syrthumbrellsyrthumbrell Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    > @thefiresidecat said:
    > Additional AD sinks is also an area we are looking into and have some future plans already, but continue to investigate fun/rewarding ways to spend AD.
    >
    > I think the important part of sharps suggestion is that it effects only the most wealthy of the citizens of neverwinter. I think it's important that the sinks are things that don't affect the new to mid level players who only have a small to moderate amount of wealth to begin with.

No it effects the AD poor more than anyone. We can only get 100k per account now so why have more than 1 toon? And if there's no point in having more than one toon why even play the game? I smell death in the air and it's name is mod 14. Instead of making this change they should just have double ad refinement weekends every few months. It will give the economy the AD boost it needs but not completely screw over everyone in the process.
This discussion has been closed.