test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

is this game worth playing?

aerosolzaerosolz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
i heard this game was pretty bad since they added the level 70 cap but im considering playing.
is there any real reason to play and what class would you people recommend? i would like to play the rogue but from what i heard rogues have a hard time getting into dungeon groups

Comments

• manufracturemanufracture Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    The game is pretty fun and somewhat addictive. The amount of D&D lore included is also impressive especially if you are a fan of the Forgotten Realms books. If you want to play for fun pick any class you like and run with that, however if your heart is set on BiS and End-Game Dungeons then there are only 3 choices: Oathbound Paladin, Divine Cleric or Great Weapon Fighter. The others are considered second-class citizens.

It is free anyway and while the pre-LVL 70 is really a training stage for end-game the adventure and story is really great and engaging (with maybe the exception of the Elemental Evil campaign which is really there to prepare you for the grind ahead) - my suggestion is to give it a try, it is worth it IMO.
  • rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    (... Elemental Evil did get a rework long time ago and is no longer grind, so I consider it quite good nowadays)

Back to the topic: It depends on what you seek.
    Levelling you char, getting to know the mechanics and story in the background is really awesome.
    But past lvl 70 you will hit the wall hard and will be forced to choose your path - to seek the top (invest a lot of time or money to improve bit by bit) or to sit somewhere in the middle and take it easy (but with the knowledge you will always be mod or two behind others - on the bright side, half a year is usually enough time to address most of the bugs found upon of new mod release ;) .)
    There are many players that are not willing to choose one of those paths - and then comes frustration...

TR mentioned by you is in my opinion one of the nicest classes for single player or casual. And for that it is quite versatile. But atm there are other DPS classes that perform much better and are in quite the abundance, so it might be hard to get into the end game multiplayer stuff. For that is the best choice mentioned OP or DC, but I really don't like the gameplay of both of those. :|
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I have played since the alpha release. Worth and value is always a personal opinion. (e.g. I could have a 500 BC Roman gold coin, but if no one wants to pay for it. The coin is worthless. If I sell it for $1, then is was worth a dollar.) You will have some difficulties starting up fresh as of now they restrict chat beyond just level 15. You won't get any help from game chat as we use too. They enforce a rule that you cannot trade, chat, message, mail, emote, etc.. Until you complete 5 "deeds" they have listed on this forum. The economy has gold but is not gold based. You need to collect Astral Diamonds (AD) instead. Gold has some uses but they are secondary at best.

If your computer is top of the line, or an old dinosaur, you will most likely have hardware issues from the start. The game client seems to be very pigeon holed for mid range machines. For example; my newer HP Windows 10 machine cannot run this, but my husband dragged out this Windows 7 HP icore 3 with a 1 GB Radeon installed seems to work ok with minor graphic issues.

They moved from level 60 cap to level 70 cap back when they released Elemental Evil Campaign. That was 2 years ago, in April 2016. They did mess the game up a lot (again a matter of opinion) but it has been able to keep players on board. Anything still up and running, I call that a success. They recently added dinosaurs but I am not a fan girl of the big lizards. Dragons are magic and dinosaurs are science.

There is literally nothing to pay for, you can play for free. They offer an exchange where you can trade AD for Zen (payed currency) for store items. A level 70 character can make 20K AD per day without breaking a sweat, this translates into 40 zen (40 cents) but due to the market ques in backlog you will need to wait 2 weeks for returns on deposits. Just save up, invest, plan ahead.

EDIT: Noticed you posted the same question July 2016, you commented on Frame Rates and others bugs back in August 2015. I assume you are no stranger to the game. Are you just kicking the forums to see what falls out? I really don't care about your motives, my words are not wasted.
    Post edited by sandukutupu on
    wb-cenders.gif
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    On the whole its one of the best free to play games I have played.

As a casual gamer [10 hours per week] I have managed to get a fairly decent character after two years of playing with a couple of BiS weapons and armour.

The first few weeks of playing are awesome, but yeah, heck, once you hit 70 you find yourself doing the same quests over and over again. - It reminds me of stamp collecting, you slowly add on and tweak your powers bit by bit, bit by bit, until you begin to be able to complete some of the end game content.

But there are some parts with massive grind which can get a bit depressing.

All in all play it for fun and its great.

If you want to be Best In Slot be prepared to spend a LOT of time on the game