test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Back Online! :)

13»

Comments

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    There are still some issues. The sparkly trail is one, and another has to do with map transitions. If your map transition is tied to interacting with an object, there won't be any sparkly interaction visible to tell players what to click on. They can still interact with the object, just there is no cue telling them what to do.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • simplyshawnsimplyshawn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    That's was sharp of you to notice. I've actually experienced the same bug but assumed I had set up the exit door wrong. The sparkly trail though... It would be nice if we could give manual "patrol points." It does a great job most of the time, don't get me wrong, but it's not a fan of areas that require jumping or have dense details. Or when the path the player should take isn't also the shortest one.

It's true, there are still little quirks all over. I've noticed that when in the 2D Editor, scrolling to the very bottom of a details property menu closes the menu. Kinda annoying when you're trying to get at stuff near the bottom. I have to scroll very slowly lol. I don't know how that repeats across screen resolutions but it happens to me even if I have The Foundry windowed.

I also noticed that if I go over 1,300 details in any one map, the icons for those details (and sounds, encounters, etc - all the 2D Icons on the map view) will draw in front of the properties menu and the component tree. Not sure if that's just my graphics card having a limitation (I play and build on a laptop with integrated graphics, so probably hah), or even if its even related to details and rather could be related to total number of components placed. Either way, I do end up clicking the wrong thing a lot at that point because I can't really see.

So basically I do most everything in the 3D Editor and just use the 2D Editor to create Quest Objectives and Dialogue; and for that rare large detail that's easier to place there. But I usually do those first, and then I get avoid these two bugs and build just fine. It's actually kind forced me to plan the maps ahead more, which is a silver lining.

That said, none of these bugs break being able to make quests technically, but they do make things difficult. Like for example, what I'm gonna do for my exit door now that I know is place an "invisible interact" in front of the fake door, and then make that the "exit from." However, if we do that, then we have to undo when they fix the bug hahaha.

To the devs: I hope you don't think we're complaining after you just got The Foundry back up and spent time talking about it in the Q&A. I think a lot more of us (me) are aware it's going to go down for planned maintenance again soon so we won't freak out haha. We're just glad to have it back, and for me, I'm just going to make sure I hit a good milestone/stopping point before the new module comes out. Gives me time to play the new content anyway :)

These bugs, IMHO, are just things that would be nice to see fixed if and when they can be. I'm able to work around them. It's more important that The Foundry actually be up I think haha, and I'd rather see map transitions work in the 3D Editor.
    "Just my thoughts I suppose."

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

• iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    The bugs with the "sparklies" have been around for some time. The quest path will often attempt to draw a straight line, even when terrain or walls may prevent the player from taking that direction. The interact is more recent, and troublesome, as there appears to be a wide swath of the player base that doesn't have the patience for searching.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Yes, we have found over time that you can't really get 1400 details on a map, I try and stay just shy of 1300. It is also worthwhile to look at your items' detail costs. Some of the original human houses, for example, cost as high as 7. Later designs are more efficient, like the Thayan buildings were are often just 1 detail.

If you want to force the sparkle path then you can use “Reach Point” objectives (maybe you have done this already?). I often do that if I see the path is wonky or I am teleporting the player and the path wants to show them the far end of the teleporter.

Currently the sparkle path will not show the player the exit door after the chest. That is a bigger problem since we can't set any objectives after the chest. For now setting the exit close to the chest might help.

Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    Omg the new module just released THIS MORNING and The Foundry is ALREADY back online - new assets and all!!!!

Thank you so much for this! Now, I've gotta go explore the new content :smiley:

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

edited March 2018
    I couldn't believe it when I saw that it was up so soon. It's like Christmas.

Hmm, this is interesting. In NPCs, there is a wererat called Varin. The way he is dressed suggests to me that he is new. In the description it reads: "As seen in the Wiping out Wererats' storyline".
    Post edited by hustin1 on
  • arkanargearkanarge Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Gee wiz, no one uses foundry forums anymore, do they? :cry: The most played reviews thats been up for weeks only had 4 reviews with 5-6 plays. I guess the only hope we have for anyone to see our hard work is to submit for featuring? Even then, I don't see any rotations every month even when there is a foundry spotlight update. Making it feel like the foundry team isn't doing anything, our hard work rotting away in the backlogs and us foundry people looking bad begging people to try it out, and to normal players, even if its fun and unique; its still a chore. They need to seriously do some overhauls to the system, they brought it back but its still dead with 3% hp left.
    Pls play my quests :C
    - A World of Wonder ( NWS-DAT9OXYQL )
    - Easterden Horror ( NW-DTIKVUOC3 )
    I submitted mine for featuring a long time ago (as in a couple years). No one at Cryptic is featuring any new quests.

cc: @nitocris83 @mimicking#6533
  • mimicking#6533 mimicking Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 83 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2018
    hustin1 said:

There are still some issues. The sparkly trail is one, and another has to do with map transitions. If your map transition is tied to interacting with an object, there won't be any sparkly interaction visible to tell players what to click on. They can still interact with the object, just there is no cue telling them what to do.

Eghad- I've got this on the bug list to look at now. Thanks for the heads up!
    M.K.

When did you last try this?
    Go ahead, click on the chest...
    edited March 2018

M.K.

I was playing and reviewing foundries last night and this was the case in each: no sparkle path to any doors. No transition objects sparkle, and the final chest does not flash at the end.

Also, thank you for responding to us and looking into this. I think I speak for all the authors when I say we really appreciate the attention you've given the foundry.
    edited March 2018
    I tested mine the night before mod 13 launched (I didn't expect it to be up immediately, so I wanted to get one last look at it with the recent changes I had made).

The other major gremlin has to do with map transitions when a party is running a Foundry: when the transition completes, they will find themselves in different instances of the same quest.
  • masostongemasostonge Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

I tested mine the night before mod 13 launched (I didn't expect it to be up immediately, so I wanted to get one last look at it with the recent changes I had made).

The other major gremlin has to do with map transitions when a party is running a Foundry: when the transition completes, they will find themselves in different instances of the same quest.

it's the same for solo too
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    is Foundry now open to publish?

i can't use map transitions in my test running.

PS: I want an archer attack pose for NPSC, please!
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

Hey! Yes, it has been - a fresh publish will be properly playable.

[Work in Progress]
    "The Legacy of Shaylia,"
    NW-DITFP6QSI

hustin1 said:

M.K.

Any update on possible fixes for this bug? @mimicking#6533 or @nitocris83 ?
  • arkanargearkanarge Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    hustin1 said:

use emergency 4th wall breaking spirt animal to guide the dummy to the solution. set a mob timer of adventurerers killing a easy spider horde or 2 to set it off (component complete spiders) If they dont compete it in 30 seconds a npc will rspawn and run across the field to the spot they need to be. I have this in a form of a cat, if they complete within the alotted time, set the mob to component complete so they dont even have the chance to spawn the guide npc.

this generation of foundry go-ers are pretty dumb so you gotta make everything EXTREMELY obvious. No puzzles without "do it for me" buttons or they will hit you with a 1 star.

make sure the player has everything they need to finish the quest and warn them ahead of time the requirements so if they fail its 100% on them and their stupidity.
    Post edited by arkanarge on
    Pls play my quests :C
    - A World of Wonder ( NWS-DAT9OXYQL )
    - Easterden Horror ( NW-DTIKVUOC3 )
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    arkanarge said:

No puzzles without "do it for me" buttons or they will hit you with a 1 star.

I know what you mean here.
    My Star Trek KDF "The Rights of the Many" had a trial puzzle in it. I had a few (not many) who complained because they could not solve it. Really people? Four Q&A with common logic multiple guess answers and you can't solve it?! I ended up adding a skip option that reads; "I have no knowledge of the KDF, lack honor, and would like to skip the trial.".
    Some of my wrong answers were pretty funny too. Sad no one wanted to read them all. I don't even like Star Trek but I did my research and got typical answers to the questions for the Klingon Defense Force.

However there will be no skipping puzzles in my up coming Mad Monty contest. For obvious reasons, it is a contest.
    wb-cenders.gif