Options

A Question to the Devs about Guild Boons vs. Not

2»

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    zajojajo said:

TOP lmao , just look on this forum, most viewed topics are ArcQuest Nerf free ZEN and Overflow XP rewards now have a lower chance to drop Rough Astral Diamonds.This is your top, right. Then good luck with this game future.

I don't think you actually read the thread regarding AD drops of XP rewards. You are correct the chance per XP reward is lower. However, the number of XP rewards was increased 17 times. The big question is the amount of AD/XP ratio (not AD/XP reward ratio).
    As far as I can tell, the AD drops of XP was not nerf'ed comparing with pre-mod 13.
    It was increased carelessly when mod 13 dropped.
    It was corrected later with the intention to go back to the previous level.
    However, depending on your game behaviour, some gets more and some gets less comparing with pre-mod 13.
    Personally, for my own experience (I have been very sensitive with AD drop of XP reward for over a year), my AD drop/XP was double comparing with pre-mod13. Since I can be lucky (I usually am), I call it a wash.
    One thing people overlooked about this AD/XP chapter is the RP drops. It is 17 times. Last time, I checked the AH price, I found out the amount of AD for selling XP reward RP (which is unbound) to AH actually is as much as the amount of AD drop. And, that was during 2xRStone which usually is the lowest price period for selling RP.

In short, in the end of the day, I have more rAD and AD (from AH) through XP reward than pre-mod 13.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    kayclo2kayclo2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    pterias said:

@scarabman

My favorite idea is linking "Solo Boons" to some kind of personal housing system, but a really long-term campaign could work as well. Any kind of solo boon would have to be mutually exclusive though, so for example, you could only pick one "Offensive" boon from a combined pool of guild and solo boons.

A viable solution is to make all single boons of stronghold available to all player.
    Obtain these boons for a soloing player requide a VERY LONG campaign(no token or only in zen store at very high price)
    If you joint to a guild you can make these boons in more easy way BUT if you leave that guild you lose half of boons.
    More high is the level of guild more easy is make boon
    a side effect to this is a reduction to cost for the upgrade of stronghold himself
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,217 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    kayclo2 said:

pterias said:

@scarabman

My favorite idea is linking "Solo Boons" to some kind of personal housing system, but a really long-term campaign could work as well. Any kind of solo boon would have to be mutually exclusive though, so for example, you could only pick one "Offensive" boon from a combined pool of guild and solo boons.

A viable solution is to make all single boons of stronghold available to all player.
    Obtain these boons for a soloing player requide a VERY LONG campaign(no token or only in zen store at very high price)
    If you joint to a guild you can make these boons in more easy way BUT if you leave that guild you lose half of boons.
    a side effect to this is a reduction to cost for the upgrade of stronghold himself
    I would suggest to get the single boon by doing similar work as SH boon. i.e. donate to mimic (such as putting a mimic in PE).
    To get certain level of boon, one needs to donate a fraction of SH cost. e.g. 1/100 of current SH cost.
    In this case, no need to create a new long campaign content to entertain a portion of player base.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    For those asking why smaller guilds don't get as much as larger guilds - much like why solo players don't get as good of a reward as people running CotDG - teamwork, and coordination.

Sure, I can solo content. No problem. If I put in 2.5 hours, though, should I get the equivalent of a TonG 5x0.5 hours to run) reward for it? No - because it's all on me to do solo content. There is no team, there is no meshing of skills, the risk of failure is greatly minimized. In 5 (and 10) man content, losing one player can be catastrophic. Solo? Respawn, and go again. It's only your time you're taking up.

The same holds for guilds - if a guild managed to muster the numbers and effort to get to 20, it doesn't make sense to allow the same rewards "because we're in a smaller guild". That's the price you pay. It's not bad, or wrong, it just is. That being said, I do like the idea of a 'reduced rate / reduced boon' alliance tie-in. Adds depth to the game world, provides goals for guilds, and (ideally) also some content for larger guilds, too (even if they don't take the rewards).
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    adinosii said:

On a more rational topic, the idea to allow players to join a particular faction (Harper, Zhentarim, Lord's Alliance, Emerald Enclave, and Order of the Gauntlet), and gain "levels" within that faction is one of the better ideas I have heard in a long time. Allow players to do faction-specific quests to earn achievements, gear, bonuses and so on - and it would make perfect sense to re-use some of the faction-specific assets and NPCs that are already in the game - just make the factions mutually exclusive so you can only be an active member of one at any given time.

This would be great for RP purposes and would give people something to do. Mod 16, maybe? Mod 14 should be ready for testing soon, Mod 15 is probably mostly designed by now, but getting something like this in Mod 16 should be realistic.

When they first introduced the factions in the Tyranny of Dragons Mods, I thought it was a shame they weren't more fleshed out. It was pretty short notice I guess, but I always hoped they would graduate them to a more active role in the core game.

In the table top game's organized play program, Adventurer's League (AL), factions have 5 ranks. To go up ranks you have to gain Renown by completing adventures as a member, and can get more for accomplishing specific goals for the faction. To get up to the higher ranks you have to also complete Special Missions that are kinda rare and can be rather difficult. It's pretty much like what we're talking about here.

There weren't any real benefits early on, but they've added perks to higher ranks over time. You can get special favors, access to special services, buy certain magic items, take on a master/apprentice arrangement with another character, etc. It seems there is already a decent framework from the TT game to inspire a Neverwinter implementation.

But yeah, I couldn't imagine anything sooner than a Mod 16.
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

kayclo2 said:

pterias said:

@scarabman

I would suggest to get the single boon by doing similar work as SH boon. i.e. donate to mimic (such as putting a mimic in PE).
    To get certain level of boon, one needs to donate a fraction of SH cost. e.g. 1/100 of current SH cost.
    In this case, no need to create a new long campaign content to entertain a portion of player base.
    I actually suggested something similar to this a while back. I even went a step further. I thought it would be interesting to gain/grow solo boons by mass donations to a guild, whether you were in it or not. You would be able to acquire guild marks this way that you could buy Mercenary tokens with. You could then use large amounts of these tokens (and time) to gain and improve the solo boons. You could only have/grow 1 of each type of boon, so if you wanted to change it you would have to start over. I was even thinking more like a 1/50 total SH cost.

I thought it was a win-win. I slowly get solo boons by donating to and helping actual guilds, but I get boons that *I* personally own. People in guilds could do the same to gain the equivalent benefit of an extra boon plot, but on an individual player/character level.

And of course it was shot down with extreme prejudice.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    pterias said:

kayclo2 said:

pterias said:

@scarabman

I actually suggested something similar to this a while back. I even went a step further. I thought it would be interesting to gain/grow solo boons by mass donations to a guild, whether you were in it or not. You would be able to acquire guild marks this way that you could buy Mercenary tokens with. You could then use large amounts of these tokens (and time) to gain and improve the solo boons. You could only have/grow 1 of each type of boon, so if you wanted to change it you would have to start over. I was even thinking more like a 1/50 total SH cost.

I thought it was a win-win. I slowly get solo boons by donating to and helping actual guilds, but I get boons that *I* personally own. People in guilds could do the same to gain the equivalent benefit of an extra boon plot, but on an individual player/character level.

And of course it was shot down with extreme prejudice.
    Logic! Kill it! Kill it with FIRE!!!