test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] [PVE] Combat HR Guide

Comments

• jojo#2051 jojo Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    @dragonsbane3 wouldn't it make sense to use gw > pg when there are adds at orcus so you get a bigger buff from sycing blades?
  • dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    > @jojo#2051 said:
    > @dragonsbane3 wouldn't it make sense to use gw > pg when there are adds at orcus so you get a bigger buff from sycing blades?

Well Sything Blades has a max of 5% buff. 1% for each add upto 5. It has a range of 25'. There is always more than 5 adds up when they spawn and they pop in a full 360 around the room. I normally wait to pop PG when the ones that spawn behind me are on top of me. It doesnt really effect the up time of the buff much at all.

PG radius is 20' also so no matter what you will have the buff for PG and its ticks as well as the buff for GW from the ones PG wasnt able to kill thanks to the AOE cap.

When u get into high recovery groups you can spam all of your encounters. For max dps ill hit wheel, Tensors, TC, Dis Shot, PG, GW. At that point you still have 3.5 secs left from your ring buff. And in most situations PG and GW are off CD thanks to the cleric and pally. If they are then PG/GW again if not then start with SS but if they are off CD before fury is up swap back to them. Remember PG has 5 hits to it, each one can crit and in the right groups seeing 6-9 mil dmg per tick per mob hit is way better than any SS w/fury. If you have to make a choice as to which to use in a buffed hit i go with GW > PG > SS.

You should only hit TC once every 10 secs unless you find youself in a odd spot where PG/GW are on CD and you just used up Fury buff. Then TC to get fury and SS away. That is why I recommend 10-14k recovery before buffs. You will never find your encounters on CD for more than 2-3s tops with DC/OP and Artificers
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I realize that I underestimated the effect of the nerf to careful attack at first.

With Careful Attack dealing no damage, there's no reason to play as Pathfinder.

Half of my guide would have to be reworked removing everything about pathfinder. However, I'll wait till the devs clearly state wether this nerf was intended or not.

In any case, we'll have to live with it for at least a few weeks if not months. So better get used to playing Stormwarden.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Trapper is not bad compared to other classes imo.

Trapper or combat can matter on trash clearing only when it comes to shaving of some min on a run but on boss fights trapper will loose out toward combat storm(as of now pf is nerfed).

I run some Tong with amazing Trapper that more then well handle the part of being only dps so the path is valid non the less.
    As long as you can play your part as dps among all classes I find it hard to say that it is bad.

Trapper need a bit more gear then combat and combat do perform better on bosses imo but if you like the playstyle being trapper as of now you will do just fine as long as you know what you are doing.

As a side note I find it funny that so many more or less are clueless about the stable powers that in fact is crusial to overall performance.....
  • icingdeath1#7564 icingdeath1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    @dragonsbane3 Are you using black ice in offense slots for recovery or are you getting that 9.7k rec another way?
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    It does make sense to slot Black Ice in offense, great stats.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    artifleur said:

I realize that I underestimated the effect of the nerf to careful attack at first.

With Careful Attack dealing no damage, there's no reason to play as Pathfinder.

Half of my guide would have to be reworked removing everything about pathfinder. However, I'll wait till the devs clearly state wether this nerf was intended or not.

In any case, we'll have to live with it for at least a few weeks if not months.

The based Cryptic dev gods have heard about your cries to return Careful At-lag!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/comment/13025671
    artifleur said:

So better get used to playing Stormwarden.

Would you guys just drop in Split the Sky/Throw Caution instead of Thorn Ward?

And what passives are you guys running for Cradle?

I can easily see Pack+offhand.
    I can see Seeker's Vengeance for mobs.

But I don't see the point in running Seeker's Vengeance for the cords & baby fight. You can't get behind the cords without jumping to your death and getting behind the baby requires you to stand so far away from your team.

Am I missing something on Seeker's Vengeance? Or is there just no use for it on those particular fights?

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    It's pretty forgiving - it works from the sides too, but yeah, no point really slotting it for cradle, either lonewolf or bladestorm, and pack, always pack. And definitely slot throw caution. With 3 DCs on the team, cooldowns aren't really a problem. Even hawkeye if there is better dps on your team.

Really hope they restore Careful attack to it's former glory. Much as I love my children, I hate that goddamn giant baby.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    Is it worth (in general or need to do the math for it) to put points in CHA for 5% CA bonus instead of WIS for 5% crit if you can cover that crit with changing 2k power mount to crit? Or better to stay with WIS? Assuming running with Unparalleled Feytouched and Combatant's bonus.

@dragonsbane3 Are you using black ice in offense slots for recovery or are you getting that 9.7k rec another way?

Nope I'm using Brutals atm. Its just from items.
    Ok. Thanks senpai @dragonsbane3
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Anyone checked new SH belt/neck pieces? I think that still greater dex belt and company cloak are better ones, even though stats are lower.
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User

and piercing blades. so you should at least have 35% arpen? since 50% from piercing? (just clarifying)

You should have capped arpen. Just like any other dps character.
  • ashwilliowbrook#2249 ashwilliowbrook Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    You are not alone in either of those missunderstandings. I’ve come across a few people who wanted to play combat like it was a trapper (using AotS and loads of ranged powers) and then wondering why they are struggling with damage. Combat rangers are mele dps, the ranged stuff is a tiny little added bonus. For sure use longstriders as a great gap closer and IF you have time throw up the odd split the sky or thorn ward but that’s about it.

Re piercing Blades it’s just another one of those confusing/misleading tool tips. I too thought yay I don’t have to stack arm pen but it’s not so. Piercing blades is an extra atack calculated from the base atack. All of this extra atack ignores all armour, but the base atack does not. And if the base atack hits like a feather duster because we don’t have enough arm pen then the extra atack will be based off this and be puny too. So yeah we still need the normal arm pen.
    edited April 2018

and piercing blades. so you should at least have 35% arpen? since 50% from piercing? (just clarifying)

You should have capped arpen. Just like any other dps character.
    then what is the point of the piercing blade feat? re reading that feat is it just basically another way of saying damage like radiant damage is just damage or whatever word they have for it.

As far as stat priorities go in order that you need to obtain.
    1, Arpen to 85% the most important to cap first
    2, Crit to 100%, don't listen to anyone who trys to say 85-90% is fine... It's not! but take into account the amount of crit you are getting from your boons and their uptime.
    3, Recovery, 8-10k. This is the last thing you should focus on getting.

The Piercing blades feat has nothing to do with Arpen. It simply gives you an extra 50% dmg on every hit you do.

Also I have yet to hear anything about a fix for Careful Attack. I prefer Stormwarden anyways and atm there is zero issues with it.
    I had to realize this as well. Your biggest damage, especially in groups, won't come from your buffed at-wills. Everything is situational. A buffed PG will hit harder on group of five than buffed SS. I've also started practicing Dark's end game build rotation, eschewing CtG altogether and getting better with lining up my SS to clear mobs.

LOL, yeah, that rotation, encounter and follow with atwill, what a laugh. So many adopted it in PvP and is still practiced today. Self buffing and stacking group buffs is how you one/two shot. In PvE, again, a group effort with stacking on top of self buffing is key.

The cap on recovery would solve issues mainly for PvP. For example, the 16K+ recovery TRs, no skill.

#Bringbackstrategy :)

but the majority of players are not playing pvp. it is not cool to nerf something for the smallest subset of players.
    So you need 16k+ recovery in PvE?!?
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

LOL, yeah, that rotation, encounter and follow with atwill, what a laugh. So many adopted it in PvP and is still practiced today. Self buffing and stacking group buffs is how you one/two shot. In PvE, again, a group effort with stacking on top of self buffing is key.

The cap on recovery would solve issues mainly for PvP. For example, the 16K+ recovery TRs, no skill.

#Bringbackstrategy :)

but the majority of players are not playing pvp. it is not cool to nerf something for the smallest subset of players.
    So you need 16k+ recovery in PvE?!?
    irrelevant. if they cap it for one class they'll cap it for all the classes. do you want to play end game with an DC or a PSOP that is capped? and yeah what would be wrong with having super high recovery on a combat sw?
    Very relevent, you made the point. And, have you been in a 10-15 minute end-game run? I have seen the bosses fall in 7 seconds. I use three encounters and the boss is dead in a solid comp run. It's awesome but it proves caps are needed for all toons PvE and PvP.
    The Legendary Outlaws
    In my opinion, Makos boots are better than the Tyrant ones. They give +3% damage overall, not just for atwills. And full stamina isn't a problem for Combat HR.
    edited May 2018
    > @wizardlvl80#5963 said:
    > In my opinion, Makos boots are better than the Tyrant ones. They give +3% damage overall, not just for atwills. And full stamina isn't a problem for Combat HR.

Especially with SS as artifact feature you regenerate your stamina really fast. I think I will give them a try. It will be a minute before I can probably get boots of the willed
    It also seems that best DPS setup for rings is +4 and +5 Shadowstalker (the one from Fane). Since the buff stacks when the rings are of different level.
    > It also seems that best DPS setup for rings is +4 and +5 Shadowstalker (the one from Fane). Since the buff stacks when the rings are of different level.

Are +4 and +5 Gravestrikers still giving bonus power on companions?
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

> It also seems that best DPS setup for rings is +4 and +5 Shadowstalker (the one from Fane). Since the buff stacks when the rings are of different level.

Are +4 and +5 Gravestrikers still giving bonus power on companions?

Yes.

They just don't show up in the companion stats screen.

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    any new hints since m14 dropped?

I haven't been happy with my dps on my combat hr. Reading around I made a few changes.

I put in combats maneuver for in mounts. pretty much the only thing that triggers it is disruptive shot. which is fine because it only takes 25% so you can keep it going pretty well. so i'm using ds only for daily. which syncronises well wiht ring of offensive action which I just readded to my line up because of the above. and I don' thave a plus five shadowstalker or gravestriker. just plus fours.

does this sound sensible?

I"m currently rocking a ring of offensive action
    plus four shadow on self

on pet
    plus 4 gravestriker and plus 5 beast slayer. I have another shadowstalker but that does nothing when applied to a pet right?

also for the mainhand bonus I'm using clear the ground and I'm using clear the ground pretty much exclusively in comba do I have that wrong? should it be split strike instead?

Finally I'm kind of torn on active arti. soul or wheel... soul in codg seems like it has the ability to not be able to see what is around you. you have to take a second to step in the fire but it lasts for 30 seconds. ofc, in codg no combat seems to last for 30 seconds before you have to hotfoot it somewhere... I'm really torn there.

Post edited by thefiresidecat on