test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

trapper state

2»

Comments

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I see you all saying Trapper is so bad right now, but i really don't see it.

Biting Snares increase your damage by 30% + Aspect of the Serpent + Serpent's Bite feat + Deft Strikes. This is all a huge boost to Plant Growth's damage if you time correctly the rotations and party buffs/debuffs.

The fact that Combat is better (if it is really better, i'm assuming it is since i didn't play with it yet) don't make Trapper a bad path. Both are pretty good, just happens that Combat is even goodier lol

I've been playing with Stormwarden Trapper for some months now and even with bad companions and suboptimal gear i feel that i finish stuff (both solo and party content) so much faster than my other toons.
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    The burst you get from Combat often wipes mobs too fast for a Trapper to get a third shot off. I had run with two other HRs that were Trappers, decent tank and awesome DC, they got the first shots off unless my LSS hit first, arti, and then dash in with melee and done.

It was tough finishing at the top with the burst DPS toons have geared for lately but a trapper can finish strong.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2018

so, ive heard some stories of players kicking hrs from high end content just because they are trappers and not combat...

thoughts?

I'd say the rumours of Trappers being dead are highly exagerated. Hell, I came out of a Cradle run a few hours ago with Scourge Warlock, Trickster Rogue and Trapper HR being the main DPS - with the Trapper being top damage - and the run was as smooth as any run.

Maybe the problem is the people playing the Trappers.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Hi.

I think that Trapper is in the same place it was in mod 9 or 10. The only difference is that during this period of time Combat got so much love that it is outperforming Trapper in current game.

To be fair, there are players, that can do tones of damage with Trapper and can easily be main dps in any kind of dungeon/trial. It's just that Trapper is harder to master than Combat. It's about movement, timing of roots, master trapper buff etc. etc.. Combat is easier - that's for sure.

But it is true, that Trapper is not popular now, that's because we got no recent changes/buffs to this path. With current overpowered players doing gazillions of damage within seconds, Trapper isn't so sexy, cause Trapper's damage need some time to kick in. The longer the fight, the more damage you do. But longer fights are not a thing anymore (except bosses).
  • zophar#2540 zophar Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    In my experience Trapper comes down to understanding your rotation to maximize your damage output. Like stated by somebody else earlier, the burst dps of combat makes it harder for a Trapper than it use to be. I have played a Hybrid Trapper for about a year and a half now and I never ran into the issues that other Trappers did post mod 10. Does Constricting Shot/ Hindering Strike really need to tick 11 times? Mobs just do not last that long when everyone is geared. My dots only tick 3 times, but are always up anyway. I recommend skirmishers gambit from the combat line. You lose dot time that does not matter for a much harder hit. If you do try it, the build is very different. Critical Chance is 10% lower and you need at least 6.7K recovery to have no encounter down time. If your PG is not up every rotation you cannot sustain damage to stay on top of the dps chart. I very rarely lose on the pain giver chart, a gwf who can engage mobs before me in T9 or a rotation screw up, which will kill your dps and is the problem with most trappers played.
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User

In my experience Trapper comes down to understanding your rotation to maximize your damage output. Like stated by somebody else earlier, the burst dps of combat makes it harder for a Trapper than it use to be. I have played a Hybrid Trapper for about a year and a half now and I never ran into the issues that other Trappers did post mod 10. Does Constricting Shot/ Hindering Strike really need to tick 11 times? Mobs just do not last that long when everyone is geared. My dots only tick 3 times, but are always up anyway. I recommend skirmishers gambit from the combat line. You lose dot time that does not matter for a much harder hit. If you do try it, the build is very different. Critical Chance is 10% lower and you need at least 6.7K recovery to have no encounter down time. If your PG is not up every rotation you cannot sustain damage to stay on top of the dps chart. I very rarely lose on the pain giver chart, a gwf who can engage mobs before me in T9 or a rotation screw up, which will kill your dps and is the problem with most trappers played.

Dont use Skirmishers in a Hybrid build it is a complete waste... put 5 points into Lucky Blades instead... Get that Crit back and also improve Encounter damage by 15% etc etc... It is also pretty much 100% uptime.

The other thing you could do in a Hybrid is just 2 points in Skirmishers and 3 points into Lucky Blades.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    I have a loadout with lucky blades at 5pts. I have never out performed SG with it, even with dumping the extra crit / recovery into power. I am in no way saying you are wrong, I have just not seen it happen. I can get PG to hit in the 245 range with LB and 307 is my highest with SG and specific to this topic, I will take the harder hit. I know CS has diminishing returns as a % to total, but it is still an inc in dps. I am curious about longshot for mod 13 and how it will perform.

I have a loadout with lucky blades at 5pts. I have never out performed SG with it, even with dumping the extra crit / recovery into power. I am in no way saying you are wrong, I have just not seen it happen. I can get PG to hit in the 245 range with LB and 307 is my highest with SG and specific to this topic, I will take the harder hit. I know CS has diminishing returns as a % to total, but it is still an inc in dps. I am curious about longshot for mod 13 and how it will perform.

You can get weapons now with flat base damage, you can run a test on training dummies to see which loadout hits harder. Unless you have 110% Crit its not really worth losing 10% for a minimal buff.

But I suppose it all depends on which weapon enchant you use too... for instance if you dont use Dread or Vorpal then maybe Skirmishers is worth it... I dont know.

I already have 180% Crit Sev with Dread then add all the Combat Advantage %'s to that etc... if I added another 50% it just would not be worth it compared to a flat 15% increase in damage to all Encounters.

When you slot SG you can actually see the increase in base damage numbers on the power tooltips, look at PG and see how much it goes up... that is unbuffed and out of combat.
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    edited April 2018
    A hybrid with SG is worth it requiring your Off slots are populated properly. I use a hybrid.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    wdj40 said:

You can get weapons now with flat base damage, you can run a test on training dummies to see which loadout hits harder. Unless you have 110% Crit its not really worth losing 10% for a minimal buff.

But I suppose it all depends on which weapon enchant you use too... for instance if you dont use Dread or Vorpal then maybe Skirmishers is worth it... I dont know.

I already have 180% Crit Sev with Dread then add all the Combat Advantage %'s to that etc... if I added another 50% it just would not be worth it compared to a flat 15% increase in damage to all Encounters.

When you slot SG you can actually see the increase in base damage numbers on the power tooltips, look at PG and see how much it goes up... that is unbuffed and out of combat.
    Well if you are setting at 180 crit sev and add in 50 from say SG that is a 15% dmg boost, But that would just be from your encounters since that is the only thing that Dread works on. So you are also going from 100 to 150 on everything else which that is a 20% dmg boost on Dailsy and At-Wills. With some adjustments you can get some nice dmg. take a look at Jannes spread sheet here.

http://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics/cs
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"

wdj40 said:

Well if you are setting at 180 crit sev and add in 50 from say SG that is a 15% dmg boost, But that would just be from your encounters since that is the only thing that Dread works on. So you are also going from 100 to 150 on everything else which that is a 20% dmg boost on Dailsy and At-Wills. With some adjustments you can get some nice dmg. take a look at Jannes spread sheet here.

http://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics/cs
    The point is going Skirmisher's Gambit, in essence loses you 4000 points in Crit, which you will have to make up somewhere. To get any benefit out of it you have to be up at 100% Crit chance or more.... That is a hell of a lot of stats. The 50% Crit Sev boost will not actually give you an extra 50% damage etc.

I have found that Crit chance only really needs to be up at around 80% and then a few buffs in combat make it so you very rarely not-crit. The rest of the points can then go into actually buffing your damage, arm pen and power etc.

Lastly I do not care in the slightest about buffing my At-Wills or Dailies... this is a Trapper thread so I assume you are playing so your Encouters are THE main source of damage.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • kleineryoda#3363 kleineryoda Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    To the OP, if you get voted out of a group due to the path your playing you need new friends. Loads of people in NW are incredibly intolerant and ignorant towards other specs and classes. I love my slightly more defensive trappper for dailies - doesn't matter things take a little longer to kill, as I can tranquilly walk through, not being bothered by mobs.

In group content I have switched to combat glass cannon though, because I can afford it (the group takes care of me surviving :* ) and the burst damage is high enough for me to keep up with an augment (yes I feel pets falling of platforms sucks real hard). I still switch to a pure debuff archery loadout from time to time, just because I c̶a̶n̶ feel like it.

The feytouched is only better than a vorpal if your crit severity is already so high, that 50% more does not make up an 18% damage increase (that is around 177% critical severity + combat advantage damage bonus combined)*. And even then you need to hit with an encounter first to proc the damage bonus, so your first strike does never benefit from it (every 20 seconds that is). No doubt the feytouched can be slightly better when skirmishers gambit is chosen, but it is still highly overrated. I recommend to wait a module or so before buying one. Also, check your own playstily, how often is your pocket pet / chain of scales realy giving a crit severity bonus / how often are you truly drinking crit severity potions? I see lots of people telling how in theory they reach X% crit severity with potions and Erinyes and other companions and potions, but never using them for real ...

*and only at transcendent level because below you will only have 50% uptime of the feytouched buff.

Talking about skirmishers, I also went down the hybrid route for the trapper, taking SG for +50% crit severity, which equals a 25% damage bonus in my case, because I do not use dread, but a lightning instead (totally agree that SG + dread is wasted). Basically lots of trappers use serpent class feature and cooldown reduction feat and dread for crit severity - I turned it around using lightning for CD reduction and the SG feat for crit severity This is allowing me to use crushing roots as second class feat - means mobs leave me alone. The former combination leads to higher overall damage, but I'm just having a ton load of fun storming around with my lightning stormwarden (needless to say I'm using thunderhead too). As for the fact that control power has taken a hit it's true unfortunately, Gorrillas and Lions stun me longer than I daze them and my Willow Wisp, perfectly fitting the lightning theme has lost a lot of its interest as well :(

Just my 2 cents on 3 subjects. Bottom line: Play the way you enjoy it and play with people you enjoy playing with - if you feel like you are losing this enjoyment, play another game you enjoy, nothing else is worth the time.
    Post edited by kleineryoda#3363 on
    > @wdj40 said:
    > I have a loadout with lucky blades at 5pts. I have never out performed SG with it, even with dumping the extra crit / recovery into power. I am in no way saying you are wrong, I have just not seen it happen. I can get PG to hit in the 245 range with LB and 307 is my highest with SG and specific to this topic, I will take the harder hit. I know CS has diminishing returns as a % to total, but it is still an inc in dps. I am curious about longshot for mod 13 and how it will perform.
    >
    > You can get weapons now with flat base damage, you can run a test on training dummies to see which loadout hits harder. Unless you have 110% Crit its not really worth losing 10% for a minimal buff.
    >
    > But I suppose it all depends on which weapon enchant you use too... for instance if you dont use Dread or Vorpal then maybe Skirmishers is worth it... I dont know.
    >
    > I already have 180% Crit Sev with Dread then add all the Combat Advantage %'s to that etc... if I added another 50% it just would not be worth it compared to a flat 15% increase in damage to all Encounters.
    >
    > When you slot SG you can actually see the increase in base damage numbers on the power tooltips, look at PG and see how much it goes up... that is unbuffed and out of combat.
    >
    > Well if you are setting at 180 crit sev and add in 50 from say SG that is a 15% dmg boost, But that would just be from your encounters since that is the only thing that Dread works on. So you are also going from 100 to 150 on everything else which that is a 20% dmg boost on Dailsy and At-Wills. With some adjustments you can get some nice dmg. take a look at Jannes spread sheet here.
    >
    > http://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics/cs
    >
    > The point is going Skirmisher's Gambit, in essence loses you 4000 points in Crit, which you will have to make up somewhere. To get any benefit out of it you have to be up at 100% Crit chance or more.... That is a hell of a lot of stats. The 50% Crit Sev boost will not actually give you an extra 50% damage etc.
    >
    > I have found that Crit chance only really needs to be up at around 80% and then a few buffs in combat make it so you very rarely not-crit. The rest of the points can then go into actually buffing your damage, arm pen and power etc.
    >
    > Lastly I do not care in the slightest about buffing my At-Wills or Dailies... this is a Trapper thread so I assume you are playing so your Encouters are THE main source of damage.

Would you mind telling me how much your PG hits for on dummies or on a solo dungeon run like Kessels/Shores? With LB I can increase my power just above 6.5K over SG, but PG still hits for 45-75K less and CoA with LB I never see a hit above 350 and SG I see 400K+ often.
    edited April 2018

> @wdj40 said:

> I have a loadout with lucky blades at 5pts. I have never out performed SG with it, even with dumping the extra crit / recovery into power. I am in no way saying you are wrong, I have just not seen it happen. I can get PG to hit in the 245 range with LB and 307 is my highest with SG and specific to this topic, I will take the harder hit. I know CS has diminishing returns as a % to total, but it is still an inc in dps. I am curious about longshot for mod 13 and how it will perform.

>

> You can get weapons now with flat base damage, you can run a test on training dummies to see which loadout hits harder. Unless you have 110% Crit its not really worth losing 10% for a minimal buff.

>

> But I suppose it all depends on which weapon enchant you use too... for instance if you dont use Dread or Vorpal then maybe Skirmishers is worth it... I dont know.

>

> I already have 180% Crit Sev with Dread then add all the Combat Advantage %'s to that etc... if I added another 50% it just would not be worth it compared to a flat 15% increase in damage to all Encounters.

>

> When you slot SG you can actually see the increase in base damage numbers on the power tooltips, look at PG and see how much it goes up... that is unbuffed and out of combat.

>

> Well if you are setting at 180 crit sev and add in 50 from say SG that is a 15% dmg boost, But that would just be from your encounters since that is the only thing that Dread works on. So you are also going from 100 to 150 on everything else which that is a 20% dmg boost on Dailsy and At-Wills. With some adjustments you can get some nice dmg. take a look at Jannes spread sheet here.

>

> http://jannenw.info/pages/mechanics/cs

>

> The point is going Skirmisher's Gambit, in essence loses you 4000 points in Crit, which you will have to make up somewhere. To get any benefit out of it you have to be up at 100% Crit chance or more.... That is a hell of a lot of stats. The 50% Crit Sev boost will not actually give you an extra 50% damage etc.

>

> I have found that Crit chance only really needs to be up at around 80% and then a few buffs in combat make it so you very rarely not-crit. The rest of the points can then go into actually buffing your damage, arm pen and power etc.

>

> Lastly I do not care in the slightest about buffing my At-Wills or Dailies... this is a Trapper thread so I assume you are playing so your Encouters are THE main source of damage.

Would you mind telling me how much your PG hits for on dummies or on a solo dungeon run like Kessels/Shores? With LB I can increase my power just above 6.5K over SG, but PG still hits for 45-75K less and CoA with LB I never see a hit above 350 and SG I see 400K+ often.

I can do, I will have a look later. But for instance that Crit you lose from SG could be put into Power... 4k Power is 10% extra damage if I remember rightly. So you have to look at the bigger picture too... I just dont like anything that TAKES stats away from you, the whole point of this game is increasing stats :)

But just so you know its kind of pointless, I have not set my Trapper up for MAX DPS anyway... I play more of a support role while really smashing some DPS at the same time, and able to carry just about any PUG.

I really have not got around to much testing lately lol, I have been PvPing pretty much this entire Mod.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Yeah, wdj40 is like a doctor, who happens to have a bow and arrow in his bag in pve (jk). ☺
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

so, ive heard some stories of players kicking hrs from high end content just because they are trappers and not combat...

thoughts?

Please put me in contact with these Trappers.

I can set them up with a job or two, provided they are okay with running with a DPS GF everywhere...
    wdj40 said:

I can do, I will have a look later. But for instance that Crit you lose from SG could be put into Power... 4k Power is 10% extra damage if I remember rightly.

According to the tooltip, yes.
    But it only works that way in DPS increase if you are comparing an addition of 4000 Power from a starting point of 0 Power.

I'd still pick up Skirmisher's Gambit on a Combat build. There are two classes in the game that can place me at 200k+ Power. There are zero classes in the game that can buff the Critical Severity of their teammates.

rjc9000 said:

thoughts?

I can set them up with a job or two, provided they are okay with running with a DPS GF everywhere...
    wdj40 said:

I can do, I will have a look later. But for instance that Crit you lose from SG could be put into Power... 4k Power is 10% extra damage if I remember rightly.

According to the tooltip, yes.
    But it only works that way in DPS increase if you are comparing an addition of 4000 Power from a starting point of 0 Power.

I'd still pick up Skirmisher's Gambit on a Combat build. There are two classes in the game that can place me at 200k+ Power. There are zero classes in the game that can buff the Critical Severity of their teammates.
    Thats cool... but as I said this is a Trapper thread so you dont need to keep mentioning or referencing a Combat build. There is already a Combat thread in this forum... I dont comment much on there as I dont really play a Combat build at all.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Are you cheating on me? :(
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    jaegernl said:

rjc9000 said:

Are you cheating on me? :(
    I work in PST hours unlike you future people.

I am always off when you guys are on, and vice versa.

SG is the preferred choice if running a hybrid SW Trapper in Tong. It should be quite obvious why...
    The Legendary Outlaws
    Well we are in the latest Mod now, I had not realised it was going to be an extention Mod so I am a little behind lol... Need to work on getting all the latest equipment before commenting too much.

But without respeccing my PvE Hybrid PF Trapper (going up to Lucky Blades in Combat) is still really powerful and destroying everything. I'll run a few dungeons today and see if I notice much difference.

One thing I have noticed it that my Shadow Demon seems to have had a rather large boost in Power, he is sitting at 6k with equipment R11 Runes and R13 Bondings.

Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
  • ymsoldier#3645 ymsoldier Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Has this seriously gotten no attention from devs/mods yet? Anybody have any news as to a possible fix coming?
  • maximus#5077 maximus Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    trapper still beast lol. harder to play than combat but oh so fun
    Yep, I agree... I still play my Trapper builds in PvE even though I have made a very powerful Combat build now.

Much more fun and still incredibily powerful.
    Alts :

Member of Q-Snipe
    Trapper is still a contender in PvE/P. Very situational.
    The Legendary Outlaws