test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Mod15 PvE DC Guide: Help Me Michela!

rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
edited April 2019 in The Temple

Help Me Michela!

(Yet Another) DC Guide on the Internet

I can assure you there was no research or testing used in the making of this “guide”; everything was done via the in-game tooltips because we all know the tooltips are 100% accurate and can be trusted, right?

People and their reputations were most definitely harmed in the making of this.

No sarcasm or humor was applied to the making of this guide. You can rest assured that there was a certain lack of creativity and intelligence in the writing process of the "guide" below.

Legacy Version:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vS1S2MJr8Q09CP2xyvP0Atz1TILsvTurm4nzfueKNwPEARd_8bgT79eKYP80nn7FECsh_R8-O47_y07/pub

Seeing as Module 16 is heavily simplified, I don't have any motivation to update this guide at all.

Post edited by rjc9000 on

Comments

• vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    rjc9000 said:

^ Accurate :D

Excellent guide btw, and the pictures helped to maintain my interest long enough to get through the calculations. Will need to go back again to make sure I understand everything though!
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    A very thorough and effectively communicated oversimplification.

With engaging original artwork to boot. Hats off to you!
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    but your casted ability gains a powered up effect

Casted?
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • nevertwinevertwi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Nice write up.

I wondered a bit about some numbers, because they seemed off of mines, so i took a look:
    • HG uptime or
      Meanwhile, the DO’s same duties require placing Hallowed Ground every 20 seconds,[...]]
      I think you mean 15 seconds.
    • Bondings Uptime: or
      Whatever buffs/items/stats they had on them would remain in place, and Bondings won’t give you another window to refresh companion stats for another 20 seconds.
      That one wondered me really, since i thought it was 30 seconds. So i tested it and it seems both wrong. It went 30, 30, 29, 30,29, 28,...,5,30 and so on. That was not expected. I first thought it was because of 3 bonding stones, so i took 2 off. Same result. I am currently thinking, that every different attack can trigger the gift once in 30 seconds. Like Wiked-Strike 1 triggers gift, Wicked-Strike 2 triggers too and finally Wicked-Strike 3 triggers it again before it takes its expected trace.
    Additionally I have a different view on animation cancelling of powers.
    I think that the game has something like: Power Animation start, ... play Animation ... Power Animation End ... Animation for getting back into the normal stance. Each, the start of the power animation and the end of the power animation can trigger effects. Like Dmg, AP GAIN, Insignias etc.

The power animation can only be interrupted by using the dodge or shild and the back to stance can be interrupted by everything. I think there are some exceptions, where some power animation can't be cancelled, like aggravating strike.

In the case of BoB it would be:
    • Power animation start triggers BoBs dmg reduction / Battle Fervor. (This is probably a bug)
    • Power animation end triggers the damage, ap gain, the divinity gain and the cooldown
    • Animation for back to normal stance is played. This triggers nothing.
    My take for the "cancelling" of BTS is that the power animation is really short, i guess around ~0.6-0.7 seconds and includes just the push off with the hand and not the pulling back of the hand. The pulling back would be the animation to the normal stance which is often interrupted to speed up the rotation.
    What sets the Black Dragon Heart is special amongst the Dragonheart Artifacts in that you can cancel the animation and retain Artificer’s Persuasion immediately.
    Actually the damage and all other relevant parts are triggered at the beginning of the power animation while the other dragon artifacts trigger at the end. The Black Dragon Artifact would be special, since both animations can be simply interrupted by using another power.
    Post edited by nevertwi on
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    nevertwi said:

Nice write up.

I wondered a bit about some numbers, because they seemed off of mines, so i took a look:

• HG uptime or
      Meanwhile, the DO’s same duties require placing Hallowed Ground every 20 seconds,[...]
    I think you mean 15 seconds.
    Bondings Uptime: or
    Whatever buffs/items/stats they had on them would remain in place, and Bondings won’t give you another window to refresh companion stats for another 20 seconds.
    That one wondered me really, since i thought it was 30 seconds. So i tested it and it seems both wrong. It went 30, 30, 29, 30,29, 28,...,5,30 and so on. That was not expected. I first thought it was because of 3 bonding stones, so i took 2 off. Same result. I am currently thinking, that every different attack can trigger the gift once in 30 seconds. Like Wiked-Strike 1 triggers gift, Wicked-Strike 2 triggers too and finally Wicked-Strike 3 triggers it again before it takes its expected trace.

No, you're right, Bonding uptime is 30 seconds, I think I was working on something else while I typed in 20.
    Possibly HG, but idk what I was thinking about when I was writing that.
    nevertwi said:

Additionally I have a different view on animation cancelling of powers.
    I think that the game has something like: Power Animation start, ... play Animation ... Power Animation End ... Animation for getting back into the normal stance. Each, the start of the power animation and the end of the power animation can trigger effects. Like Dmg, AP GAIN, Insignias etc.

The power animation can only be interrupted by using the dodge or shild and the back to stance can be interrupted by everything. I think there are some exceptions, where some power animation can't be cancelled, like aggravating strike.

In the case of BoB it would be:

• Power animation start triggers BoBs dmg reduction / Battle Fervor. (This is probably a bug)
    • Power animation end triggers the damage, ap gain, the divinity gain and the cooldown
    • Animation for back to normal stance is played. This triggers nothing.
    My take for the "cancelling" of BTS is that the power animation is really short, i guess around ~0.6-0.7 seconds and includes just the push off with the hand and not the pulling back of the hand. The pulling back would be the animation to the normal stance which is often interrupted to speed up the rotation.
    I don't disagree with that being how animation canceling works, though I don't have access to the animation lengths/frames that let you know which parts of the animation have what effects/hitboxes/etc.

What a shame, since I would be pretty intrigued to see if any attacks/buffs have any funky hitboxes.

pitshade said:

Casted?
    "Used". Even though DC is not a magic class, I was thinking of spell "casting" when writing that.

• vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    rjc9000 said:

pitshade said:

Casted?
    "Used". Even though DC is not a magic class, I was thinking of spell "casting" when writing that.
    No, spell casting is appropriate. DC is definitely a magic class ;)

Post edited by vorphied on
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    0/10 I can't find the boons.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User

boons are broken down in the builds. just like gear
    putzboy78 said:

boons are broken down in the builds. just like gear
    There are no builds in the guide, what are you talking about?

EXPUNGED means EXPUNGED!

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Which moment exactly "at the start of combat" should i pop AA + BoB? Right when the group spawns in boss room? After the tank gets the aggro? When every DPS is moving towards the boss to start beating? What about the difference of attack speed between different companions (my DC uses a Stalwart Golden Lion)?

I'm trying to work the synchrony needed for that, so this information might be useful.

What about when Companion Gift is about to restart? After the first AA/BoB should i make a mental count to 30 so i know when is the next time to synchronize Power-Share and Bondings?
    edited April 2018

Right when the group spawns in boss room?

I usually found that this was the best time to drop AA on the team.
    Keep in mind you need to keep pace with the team so you can apply BoB to them and their companions, since you can't apply BoB outside of combat.

You may also need to consider how fast/slow your teammates load into combat. For example, I sometimes run with a GF who has college dorm internet and he takes longer to load his game than it does for him to delete bosses. In that case, I have to accomodate him and wait for him to load in, then quickly try to toss AA on him.

What about the difference of attack speed between different companions (my DC uses a Stalwart Golden Lion)?

I don't think companions attack speed makes too much of a difference in how quick they proc Companion's Gift. If anything, you should focus more on whether the comp gets rekt or not.

What about when Companion Gift is about to restart? After the first AA/BoB should i make a mental count to 30 so i know when is the next time to synchronize Power-Share and Bondings?

To be honest, if you can do this, I salute you.
    Trying to time the next AA with the next Bonding refresh windows after the first is too chaotic to keep track of for me.

There are some dungeons in which you can attempt to re-place AA on the refresh windows, since these dungeons force you and your teammates to stop attacking. Examples include hiding behind the pillars in Svardborg, waiting for Nostura to use the key of stars during SP, or waiting after killing Acerack in Cradle.

However I usually found it best to start and end a fight with one well timed buff rotation* and two well timed AAs**. Then, everything else is up to the other buffs (Bane, ITF, Longstriders, etc.) and the timing of the DPS to finish the rest of the job.

* (I usually work around the other DC and adjust my timing on their speed. I found it best to drop my Emp buffs just as they are about to or just as they drop their Emp buffs. Depending on how fast/slow/incompetent your other DC is, you may wish to just move on ahead and don't bother with trying to sync with them).
    **(Once at combat start to to freeze AA on teammate comps, and another to re-place the AA on teammates when the buff window comes up)

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Hahaha... That's awesome bro. Great artwork (I only saw the comics :3) :D +1
    FrozenFire

nice guide, thanks for taking the time to do this! noting the date I thought it was going to be a joke guide.

• dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    Well, I quickly lost interest when the pictures turned to text, but if the text is the same quality as those pictures...

Well done.
  • bertrandxbertrandx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    Thanks for this guide! The GWF discord link is the same as the OP one and sends you to Palaland, you might want to correct that for this one : https://discord.gg/sTkuT7g
    Bert - Lv70 pathfinder trapper. How's sunny california?
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    > @rjc9000 said:
    > but your casted ability gains a powered up effect
    >
    >
    > Casted?
    >
    > "Used". Even though DC is not a magic class, I was thinking of spell "casting" when writing that.

The past tense of 'cast is... 'cast.'
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • gorth7186#8576 gorth7186 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Keep in mind you need to keep pace with the team so you can apply BoB to them and their companions, since you can't apply BoB outside of combat.

You may also need to consider how fast/slow your teammates load into combat. For example, I sometimes run with a GF who has college dorm internet and he takes longer to load his game than it does for him to delete bosses. In that case, I have to accomodate him and wait for him to load in, then quickly try to toss AA on him.
    This plz, if you have a dps running with potato internet, and PC. Please give them AA outside the boss fight or wait to start the fight until you see them in the boss arena. It makes the game less rage-inducing when you sync up with your group with buffs and time things properly. Rather than just rapid firing buffs out, and then wondering why the DPS does low dmg.

Hello rjc, are you sure the alias for the hardtargetlock is still working as said in your guide? I get unknown command error when I type /setE "playername". everything else seemed to work, just that final one doesn't. Any thoughts and help? I have commandaliases.txt in the right folder with the right code line written in it, so that's not it.

I tried with other keys too (numpad8, p, ... ) and still returning unkown command error.
    Did you type in the quotes in the name? You don't need to actually type in the quotes.

For example, if I wanted to switch my target alias to WickedDuck, I literally would just type into the chat window:

I put the quotes in the description in hopes that people wouldn't directly copy and paste.

Also, I tried a quick test with the numpad buttons, but it has not worked at all on any of the numpad keys. When I used a more traditional key like M or H, the keybind worked on my comp just fine.

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

What about the difference of attack speed between different companions (my DC uses a Stalwart Golden Lion)?

I don't think companions attack speed makes too much of a difference in how quick they proc Companion's Gift. If anything, you should focus more on whether the comp gets rekt or not.

To be honest, if you can do this, I salute you.
    Trying to time the next AA with the next Bonding refresh windows after the first is too chaotic to keep track of for me.

There are some dungeons in which you can attempt to re-place AA on the refresh windows, since these dungeons force you and your teammates to stop attacking. Examples include hiding behind the pillars in Svardborg, waiting for Nostura to use the key of stars during SP, or waiting after killing Acerack in Cradle.

However I usually found it best to start and end a fight with one well timed buff rotation* and two well timed AAs**. Then, everything else is up to the other buffs (Bane, ITF, Longstriders, etc.) and the timing of the DPS to finish the rest of the job.

* (I usually work around the other DC and adjust my timing on their speed. I found it best to drop my Emp buffs just as they are about to or just as they drop their Emp buffs. Depending on how fast/slow/incompetent your other DC is, you may wish to just move on ahead and don't bother with trying to sync with them).
    **(Once at combat start to to freeze AA on teammate comps, and another to re-place the AA on teammates when the buff window comes up)
    Just forgot to thank you before, so i'm thanking you now! And nice guide by the way.
  • nevertwinevertwi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 80 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

[...] though I don't have access to the animation lengths/frames that let you know which parts of the animation have what effects/hitboxes/etc.

What a shame, since I would be pretty intrigued to see if any attacks/buffs have any funky hitboxes.

DC Power Animation Times and Power Cancelling
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    i'm sorry but are you sure that Exaltation apllied Strongest ? between
    empowered and not empowered version?
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

i'm sorry but are you sure that Exaltation apllied Strongest ? between
    empowered and not empowered version?

No, you are correct, just checked it out and Exa indeed stacks...

rjc9000 said:

Did you type in the quotes in the name? You don't need to actually type in the quotes.

For example, if I wanted to switch my target alias to WickedDuck, I literally would just type into the chat window:

I put the quotes in the description in hopes that people wouldn't directly copy and paste.

Also, I tried a quick test with the numpad buttons, but it has not worked at all on any of the numpad keys. When I used a more traditional key like M or H, the keybind worked on my comp just fine.

No, I didn't. I typed in exactly like in your example except with my keybind E, or P and it's not working for me, it returns that error message. :(

I'll try again later but I don't know what I'm doing wrong for it not to be working.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    bertrandx said:

rjc9000 said:

No, I didn't. I typed in exactly like in your example except with my keybind E, or P and it's not working for me, it returns that error message. :(

I'll try again later but I don't know what I'm doing wrong for it not to be working.

You need the alias to match, and if you do several keys for different targets, for example for OP bane, you need to name the 'tar' for example one will be
    alias setE "alias tarE target {}"
    And another
    alias setV "alias tarV target {}"

For either/both you need the matching bind

/bind e "tarE $$ hardtargetlock 1$$ +PowerTrayExec 3$$ hardtargetlock 0"
    /bind v "tarV $$ hardtargetlock 1$$ +PowerTrayExec 3$$ hardtargetlock 0"

(+PowerTrayExec 3 = the middle encounter defaulted to 'e')

The problem is probably that you didn't set the bind, and only set the alias. The alias is to set the target for the bind, the "tar" is short for "target"

• nihlocke#5890 nihlocke Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    As always, thanks for your wonderful guides.

Right now, my DO DC is kind of a messy Support DO with WoL, all points spent in Righteous (to get all the debuffs and 10% armorpen) Radiants of character and Silveries on my companion's offense slots. It's my jack of all trades loadout, and it's quite useful, since i rarely get to play with an AC DC. It served me well, but at 13,3k I think it is time to get serious.

My question is: in a single DC party scenario, would it be better to be :

1) dps DO with support DO talents and abilities (100% crit, gear built for dps, but with DG, PoD, EBtS and support talents, WoL included or not)

2) dps DO (full dps, gear, talents and all that)

3) full Support DO (abilities, talents, gear and all that stuff, WoL included or not)

4) AC DC (proably not, unless it's the kind of AC DC who plays Highway to Hell rather than buffing)

I'll probably run in single DC parties for a few months, so I gotta know what would usually be best. You can't build a proper AC DC o dps DO DC in a couple weeks, can you?

Thanks in advance