test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ToNG: Good - CoDG: Bad (Or, how to fix the Cradle)

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited April 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
I like ToNG. In my opinion it is the best content added to the game since, well....the old CN (before it was reworked).

ToNG takes around 20 minutes to run with a good group, 30 minutes for an average group and is a real challenge for an undergeared/underskilled group. To me that is an indication that they got the difficulty just right.

I have lost track of how many times I have run ToNG, but it is well over 100 times - enough to gear most of my alts in full Primal gear. I have also gotten 10 UES from my runs - I would like a slightly higher drop rate - If am to upgrade all my R13s to R14s, it would take me a few years. I also get enough salvage to actually need one or two alts to refine for my main.

The various tricks and mechanisms are not that hard to learn, and when everyone has mastered them, the run is smooth.

So, yea -ToNG is challenging, but fun, with just the right reward/effort ratio. Sure, it had a few bugs, but they mostly got fixed - one remains - the hanging "rockfall" trap, but there is a workaround for that.

So, when I first heard of CoDG, I was optimistic - hoped it would be like ToNG in that respect.

But what a disappointment...

CoDG got just about everything wrong....well, except maybe the visuals - the graphics team did a pretty good job. Some of the problems are issues that players raised originally on Preview, but the complaints were partially ignored. Well, guess what - the problems did not go away.
  • The first phases are just too easy - the skull and gelatinous cube phases take no real skills, and the trash mobs are...well, just trash that dies easily, no skill or coordination needed.
  • Cutting the ropes - again - easy, and while there are mobs that spawn and you would think you need some strategy to kill them as well, that's just not the case - just run in a circle, cut the ropes and ignore everything else. This is not a challenge - most certainly not an "end-game quality challenge". In fact, the first phases are just boring.
  • The last part, now - that's the real issue. While the first parts are really too easy, the last part is really a bit too hard - specifically, the big issue is that your chance of success is too heavily determined by the lag you have. I have a strong suspicion the developers are located close to the game servers - well, at least they are on the same continent as the servers, and they did not consider what gameplay would be like for players elsewhere - in Europe or Australia. The fact is simply that if your lag is too heavy, you will have a much, much harder time surviving the push/pull phase, and it is really unforgiving - there is no second chance - you are just dead.
  • If half of the group falls and dies, the rest can just as well wipe and start over - and that means you have to go through the initial, utterly boring phases all over again.
The bottom line is that while ToNG is challenging and fun, CoDG is just a painful chore that plauers are forced to struggle through if they want the Ampoules and Carvings.

So, how can CoDG be fixed? Here are a few suggestions:
  • If the group wipes but had reaced the last bart, allow them to go back there, instead of having to go through the elevator part again. Sure, this would not make the final part any easier, but it would make players less likely to rage quit in frustration. Frustrated and irritated players are not good customers.
  • CoDG really does not feel like it is a part of a RPG game - the last part relies on player reflexes and hand-eye coordination. That's not what I want the game to be about - if I wanted my chance of success to be determined by that, I would be playing a different game. One thing you can do is to add a better visual indicator showing when the push/pull is in effect - yes, I know it is a pull for 4 seconds and a push for one second, but really - I don't want to be spending my time counting seconds.
  • I don't know how many CoDG runs end in failure, but many players have only a few (or no) successful runs per week - and with the low drop rate for the Carvings, it means that many players will not be able to get one carving per week, again meaning it will take them many, many months of work to get enough Carvings to upgrade their gear. I am sure you have the data - maybe you should look at this.
Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    I really hate TONG & MSP & BABY KILLER(really cutting a babies ambilical cord then killing the prematurely born baby in his crypt is entertainment (who thought of this Charles Manson). I only do any of those content if a guildies or aliance member need a tank or dc and can't find one
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I understand what you are saying about the elevator sequence being too easy and too drawn out. The latency issue and the unlucky deaths from grasping hand + push/pull are issues. However, and I hate to point this out, but the recent trend has been to create "action" RPG/MMOs. The game has always required varying amounts of player reflexes and hand-eye coordination.

For the push/pull, if latency or bad luck isn't an issue, then the remaining issue is the initial learning curve which is frustrating because you have to start from the beginning and you feel bad for being the person to hold the group back. However, once you get the hang of it, it isn't bad at all. In a good group, cradle is a quick run.
    Post edited by lldt on
  • odnnauqodnnauq Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 67 Arc User
    > @lldt said:
    > The game has always required varying amounts of player reflexes and hand-eye coordination.
    >
    Disagree with the fact that the game has always required reflexes before this. Yes, there are the platform in the boss fight in Tong, but it is very forgiving. The platform is huge, there is a giant ghost head, there is very loud audio cue from the ghost head, all telling you to run to the other side. And you just need to get to the middle. So no, I don't think that really require reflex or hand-eye coordination. Unless you suggest being able to hear and see are reflex and hand-eye coordination.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    lldt said:

... if latency ... isn't an issue ...

For some of us, this isn't a choice or anything we can do about, bar moving continents. And therein lies the problem.
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • lldtlldt Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    vordayn said:

For some of us, this isn't a choice or anything we can do about, bar moving continents. And therein lies the problem.

That's why I stated it as a real issue.
    odnnauq said:

Disagree with the fact that the game has always required reflexes before this.

I said varying degree of reflexes and hand eye coordination which is technically correct (and it varies between classes), but I know what you mean. There were never platforming style reflexes/coordination required before (ie. instant, guaranteed, unrevivable death due to a reflex requirement). That's true too.

• clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Tong is broken, it is meant to be run with "the Meta" and nothing else, add in the awful lag (which hardly makes it smooth) it produces and the endless kicking, and this easily makes it the worst dungeon ever produced. I really cannot believe this is considered the best content since CN.

Codg at least has the redeeming feature that it is quick to reach failure, Tong does not even grant that.
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    agilesto said:

Tong is broken, it is meant to be run with "the Meta" and nothing else, add in the awful lag (which hardly makes it smooth) it produces and the endless kicking, and this easily makes it the worst dungeon ever produced. I really cannot believe this is considered the best content since CN.

Codg at least has the redeeming feature that it is quick to reach failure, Tong does not even grant that.

No, content is not meant to be run with "the Meta", it's purely players that want that. Laziness, lack of understanding, more laziness, call it what you want, but tong can be completed with groups far from meta.

Nobody wants to play content that takes an hour with a very low success chance when the meta brigade does it in 20 minutes, then add in the horrendous lag - if this is not the worst then what is?
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Tong is fine, just the right difficulty, and mechanics should be learnable and doable by everyone in particular since a failure just means restart that specific encounter. It is not a problem that people repeatedly wipe if the reason is bad gear or bad understanding of the encounter. Those are fixable.

Cradle is blocked for some people and there is nothing they can do to get around it:
    * Laggy connection
    * Imprecise hand/eye coordination

Blocking out part of the customer base with no way around it is bad.

Also Cradle creates friction in the customer base: Everyone is asking for experienced players ONLY(how are people supposed to learn?), and people are feeling bad when they are repeatedly dying and messing up for team. Kicks ensue, creating bad feeling etc.

The pull/push mechanism was a bad choice, in particular when combined with an unrecoverable death.

Best thing would be to replace pull/push with something else.

If that is not doable, one solution could be to put a 'field of instant death' along the inner edge of the arena, that kills everyone that comes close but leaves them recoverable. It is the unrecoverable death at end of pull/push that is the big problem, having to spend ress scrolls is acceptable.

Or a solution could be to handle the pull/push deaths like in IG.

• kayclo2kayclo2 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    when you face the atropal migth be a good choice to add an illusionist gambit type mechanics for the killed players. that prevent a continue respown of fresh player but helps who have a bad connection to have a second chance.
    If this method trasform cradle in a too easy task is possible to limit the respown to a finite number.
  • gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Cradle would be great if it didn't have any issues on release or if it wasn't a ping test. Man, I miss stuff like Mod 8/9. That was this game's prime, I wonder if they'll ever reach that again.
    Same here. I will be skipping this content and will live without vivified armors and exalted weapons. Sad but I guess at least the rewards in Tong is decent and I enjoy it. Hopefully in 6 months we will have new weapons and armors and I won't miss this horrendous experience.
  • fightdawalrus#5058 fightdawalrus Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    > @clericalist said:
    > Tong is broken, it is meant to be run with "the Meta" and nothing else, add in the awful lag (which hardly makes it smooth) it produces and the endless kicking, and this easily makes it the worst dungeon ever produced. I really cannot believe this is considered the best content since CN.
    >
    > Codg at least has the redeeming feature that it is quick to reach failure, Tong does not even grant that.

Im sorry but you have no idea what you are even complaining about. It sounds more as if you are complaining just to fit in.

T9G is a great dungeon and doesn't need the "meta" group you seem to think it does. Ive been helping a guildie through his first few T9GS and hes a 14.5 TR and the other DPS is my friend who is a SW and we have been averaging 20 min runs just fine. Two of the most nerfed classes isn't exactly "meta", is it? The only time T9G takes hours is if the whole group is clueless to the dungeon and or doesn't understand how to play their class.
  • polarp178polarp178 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    And character bound drops just made this so much worse. At least MSVA you can go in with any class and share with other toons.
  • muratttimurattti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 417 Arc User
    tong rarely drop enchanting stone , double drop in codg , i'm boring farm stoped tong.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Interesting discussion thread - shows a variety of opinions. Always useful for us to read so we can find commonalities or figure out better ways to bridge those differences.
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    murattti said:

tong rarely drop enchanting stone , double drop in codg , i'm boring farm stoped tong.

Never got any UE in cdog, doesn't change from tong a lot. Considering I enjoy tong better (no scroll spent, doesn't get HAMSTER up because of lag of rng), i better farm tong than cdog for UE. Different points of view :)
  • baoshionebaoshione Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    Honestly I think codg is one of the best Trail ever made by Cryptic, ppl just used to play standing on one spot and cast powers without thinking about any mechanism, just want to smash buttons.. And finally codg is something where you have to use timing and your skills. It's true many ppl complain about scrolls, honestly you don't have to use any scrolls if you and every party member avoid the red, and keep the debuff AoE, it's simple I can do it with every class that i play. Well many ppl have their own point of view of codg honestly i really enjoy playing codg, even if i don't get anything i still love to play it...
  • utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited April 2018

MSVA - this was a really good trial design with a lategame potential. It also had two tiers which made it playable to more variety of players. The reason why it failed was that Cryptic is making content that is only viable on this current mod. When people got their weapons - they gave up on MSVA since (even though it's pretty cool) rewards there are utter hamster.

More playable, meaning more groups (even random queue pugs) could complete it because the normal version allowed unlimited respawn. In that respect, it is true. But your previous statement also said CoDG is super boring. While M/SVA is more accessible, it was definitely "super boring." It was pretty much straight dps. For CoDG, it's the elevator phase in CoDG that quickly gets old.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2018

Interesting discussion thread - shows a variety of opinions. Always useful for us to read so we can find commonalities or figure out better ways to bridge those differences.

Uhm.."find commonalities" and "bridge those differences" ? You sound just like a Swedish politician, @nitocris83

How about just admitting that CoDG is a bit flawed and, well...fix some of those flaws? It wouldn't take that much to change it from a Trial that players hate, (but feel forced to play because of specific drops) into something that players actually enjoy.

Here are a few specific suggestions:
    • The "gelatinous cube" phase is a bit boring, and really too similar to the skull phase. In addition, it requires no real strategy or tactics. It could be improved a lot by making the cubes more fragile - players would then have to be really careful not to overuse AoE attacks, and be more careful with positioning - otherwise the cubes will get destroyed before they reach their destinations.
    • The "rope-cutting" part is a bit boring too - it has the potential to be challenging, but it is not, because groups can just ignore the mechanisms like the spawning souls. It is basically too easy to be fun. I would do something that would force players to coordinate and split up .. some focus on cutting the cords, while the rest kill the souls when they spawn. Currently people just run in one big group from one set of cords to the next, ignoring everything else.
    • The push/pull phase is problematic, as it gets extremely hard to survive when you have noticeable lag. I understand the developers may not have considered this - maybe they are physically located close to the game servers, or possibly have some in-house development servers as well - but you know what - their experience is very different from what players halfway across the globe are seeing. Now, I am fine with players that just stand still being pulled or pushed to their death, but you need to give people a chance to survive, and that's where the current problem is. I don't know if the developers have the possibility to artificially introduce lag for themselves for testing purposes, but if they can, they should - then they will see what I am talking about.
    • There are a few workarounds. Someone suggested putting a "forcefield of death" at the inner and outer edges of the platform during the push/pull phase - sure, you will get killed just as easily, but at least you will leave behind a corpse that you can resurrect with a scroll. Another possibility would be to reduce the intensity of the push/pull a bit ... make it strong enough that anyone who just stands still will get killed, but give a better survival chance to people that at least attempt to dodge.
      If that's not possible, then how about allowing people to bypass the elevator phase after the first failed attempt? If the group has survived the first phases once, allow them to go straight to the Atropal on subsequent attempts. Yes, people will die just as easily, but this will reduce the total time (and frustration) a lot.

Post edited by adinosii on
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    It is having to redo the awful, boring elevator phase that makes me not even really care about completing the trial. In order to get to the challenging part, you have redo the long boring part. Let us skip the cutscene and add a campfire, boss countdown there.

I detest platformer games but would at least be less inclined to skip this entire trial if it didn't force such a great amount of tedium between attempts.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Yes, allow skipping the cutscene and start the group at the boss if they reach it then wipe. Yesterday all our dps died to an AoE right as the final cord was cut and the cut scene started. While the cutscene was running, and thus no one was able to do anything, the revive timer expired and we were unable to be revived by either an ally picking us up or by scroll.

Also the push/pull mechanism, especially the fast, hard push that comes after the pull, requires very precise near perfect timing which is near impossible to do on a weaker/older computer like I have or if you are in a less geographically optimal area. It should be toned down just a bit, maybe make the platform slightly wider or make the push slightly weaker.

As it stands I feel my advancement is stalled based on the speed of my computer and not on my actual character development or even my hand-eye coordination or reaction time skill. As such I will not be making any more zen purchases and will instead be saving that money to buy a faster computer, since you don’t sell computers I don’t think that was your objective.

You might also want to look into improving some of the performance issues in the game. As a user with some small understanding of software development it is clear to me that in many instances the code is *far* from optimized. The game suffers from software aging that I believe is due to a video memory leak or some other kind of resource issue for example. After I have been playing for a some time a lag will develop and will not go away no matter what I do, except completely exiting the game then starting the game back up fixes it until some more time of playing builds it up again, heavy graphics effects such as lights and particles seem to make it happen sooner.
  • hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    Rather than a dropoff into a void, resulting in insta-death, it would probably be better to replace it with areas of acid and/or fire that you get pushed into. Not insta-death, but definitely death from DOT if you tarry too long.
    > @hercules125 said:
    > Rather than a dropoff into a void, resulting in insta-death, it would probably be better to replace it with areas of acid and/or fire that you get pushed into. Not insta-death, but definitely death from DOT if you tarry too long.

Yeah, like elol. But I doubt they would expend any more resources to fix anything on this scale. The best hope is for them to not come to with this type of mechanics on future expansions.
  • marv700#9957 marv700 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    agilesto said:

No, content is not meant to be run with "the Meta", it's purely players that want that. Laziness, lack of understanding, more laziness, call it what you want, but tong can be completed with groups far from meta.

I don't think you are understanding what he meant. Everything is tweaked as if you are running the best possible group. The drop rates are so bad that even chaining 10 CODG runs in an hour will most likely net you only aquamarines as loot. I've completed CODG over 200 times and only got 1 carving and 2 UES. No way would I want to attempt that with inefficient groups. It may have been fun the first few times, but lets be real, folks run CODG for the loot.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2018

... but lets be real, folks run CODG for the loot.

Well, I run it for the ampoules and the carvings. Once I have an ampoule and a carving, there is no motivation for me to run CoDG more that week. If I want to farm something for the loot I go back to ToNG - heaps of stuff to salvage and the occasional UES, companions, artifacts or something else.

CoDG is just too bad .... it is not enjoyable to farm it.
  • heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    this is a very constructive thread and i agree with everything said in the above but don't also agree with few things but all good variety give birth to creativity and stuff

1)i agree that cradle is not accessible to most of playerbase but is also not hard for other half but i say for trial it's right difficulty

2)there is few things that could really be done to improve it: exemples:
    a) add campfire if you fail last boss you can repeat from there because phase 1 and 2 are meh boring
    b) add protection palces so classes like Hunter ranger / GWF/pally etc don't fall because of skills that make them move to target for exmeple if you use SS sometimes chach move forward if ur close to edge while atropal is there you ahve protection ward so u don't fall but if he goes off in that time u can fall off easy mostly annoying to HR class too

3) as one of the players with really bad net i managed to dodge mechanic at really high ping
    a) Screen 1 : https://prnt.sc/j3h0dd over 3000 ping yet still dodged P-P ^^
    b) screen 2 : https://prnt.sc/j3s2df over 3000 ping yet fell off because lagg and rubber was too strong
    it leaves me with bad feeling that i was useless and all when it happens even if i know it's out of my hand other people can't see that so yes please keep player who live far away in mind sometimes