test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Overflow XP rewards now have a lower chance to drop Rough Astral Diamonds

Comments

• dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

Anyone who is complaining about this just wanted to enjoy the easy rAD gravy train forever.

Or maybe some were just thinking it would be nice to have even had it drop once for them and now see the chance get even smaller. :/

Not much of a Gravy Train if it never dropped. ;)
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

The RP from XP rewards are not bound.

Yes, I know that, but 5 black pearls is a drop in the ocean to any player with items to refine at level 70. I can sneeze out 5 black pearls just randomly whacking on bad guys in any level 70 area for 5 minutes. Your efforts to make XP to get the overflow reward is lost on something pointless. As I said above, 12K RP would at least be something. Most high end epics require that much to go up just 1 rank. Then I would be like; "Whoo hoo! I got a rank up on my weapon!". Currently I have 60 bound to account companion tombs and no idea of how that is even suppose to be rewarding. If I could sell them for gold or auction them, it would make some sense.
    Before mod 13, it was 1.7 million XP to get 1 XP reward. It is now 100K XP to get one. That is 10 times to 14 times as before mod 13 if you factor in the change in the amount of Quest XP introduced in mod 13.

One black pearl worth 100 RP. If you open that on 2xEnchant, you get 10 black pearl and 1K RP for that XP reward (if you don't get the tomb). Unless you had very bad luck, for the similar effort as before mod 13, you would get your 12K RP before the nerf.
    In addition to XP tomb and Black pearl, I also got Black Opal and Sapphire.

What happen after the nerf, I cannot tell at the moment.

I don't know if my effort to make XP to get the overflow reward is pointless or not. I only know before I actually start to play I already got 11 XP overflow rewards at this moment for today. No, I have not started to play for today yet.
    Actually it was 1.785 million xp, so use 18 times. A really good player could do 1.8 million xp a day and got the power point drop about 1 in 4 rollovers.
    I was getting >> 1 in 4, I'd saved about 30 rewards for the last 2xenchs, and got 12-15 ADs, one character got 5/9 and others got multiples. I've had 0/120+ since the reduction.

• lukejones77lukejones77 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 282 Arc User

Anyone who is complaining about this just wanted to enjoy the easy rAD gravy train forever.

Well, a couple of months would have been nice ;)
  • galwaytazalangalwaytazalan Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    No, not an easy AD gravy train. I haven't been around for a year but it seems on a frequent basis they are doing everything they can to restrict AD generation. New players are coming in and seeing even worse than what I have seen in my <1 year. Don't punish us for these online stores selling AD or whatever. The drop rate was decent and fair as far as I saw things, I maybe got one every once in a while. Now dropping over xp to 100K and giving out a ruby, flawless, power point, or 5 black pearls, yes that gives me incentive to push on. Make that grind a rewarding experience and not that feeling on Wed. when you open your mail box and find all the junk paper, ads, offers and stuff waiting to be thrown into a recycle bin.

You seem to be cutting and cutting everything to the bone, and increasing the amount of stuff almost as if you don't want players to continue to play end game content.

Lockboxes full of boxes in boxes, minimal rewards for over-leveling (or whatever you want to call it) and grinding. You don't inform people of these big changes on your news page, but sure have time to tell us new things in the zen store. If you tinker with the system how about some transparency and maybe some users choice on which direction is best to go with the game.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited April 2018

No, not an easy AD gravy train. I haven't been around for a year but it seems on a frequent basis they are doing everything they can to restrict AD generation. New players are coming in and seeing even worse than what I have seen in my <1 year. Don't punish us for these online stores selling AD or whatever. The drop rate was decent and fair as far as I saw things, I maybe got one every once in a while. Now dropping over xp to 100K and giving out a ruby, flawless, power point, or 5 black pearls, yes that gives me incentive to push on. Make that grind a rewarding experience and not that feeling on Wed. when you open your mail box and find all the junk paper, ads, offers and stuff waiting to be thrown into a recycle bin.

You seem to be cutting and cutting everything to the bone, and increasing the amount of stuff almost as if you don't want players to continue to play end game content.

Lockboxes full of boxes in boxes, minimal rewards for over-leveling (or whatever you want to call it) and grinding. You don't inform people of these big changes on your news page, but sure have time to tell us new things in the zen store. If you tinker with the system how about some transparency and maybe some users choice on which direction is best to go with the game.</p>

I don't think you understand why it is commented as easy AD gravy train.

Before mod 13, you need 1.78 million XP to get one XP overflow reward. The ratio of rAD drop of XP overflow was X%.
    I personally am one of those who count on that rAD drop for my rAD income which was a decent AD income for me for over a year. Each 2xEnchant, I get around 200K to 500K. That became more important rAD income for me since mod 12 because I don't do RQ.

After mod 13, you need 100K XP to get one XP overflow reward. It is may be 17 times more XP overflow rewards than before.
    The AD drop ratio was not changed (before the nerf). So, the return was X% x 17 tries. More or less 17 times of before mod 13. That was a huge amount of rAD income for me. I did not advocate to get rid of it (I kept my mouth shut because I am a benefit taker and earn much more than others; I just ride the gravy train as long as I can) but I knew it would be shutdown. There are many people act like me.

If the nerf can return back to the same amount of rAD I could earn before mod 13 (for the same amount of effort), it means it is just back to 'normal'. However, I don't know if this is the case. Based on other people said, the return is worse than before mod 13.

In short, for rAD returns from XP overflow for the same amount of effort (XP),
    before mod 13, 'normal'
    after mod 13, gravy train (17 times of 'normal')
    after the nerf, worse than 'normal'? Or, 'normal'?

I will see in the next to 2xEnchant. If I can get 100K to 250K (I cashed out the night before the nerf, hence I did not accumulate for the full duration), I consider that is back to 'normal'.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Just anecdotal but yesterday, I opened my week's rewards on 11 characters. Each one had between 11 and 16 rewards. Total RAD rewards were 5. No character received more than 1.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    Well at least you are honest about benefits you lost. The problem in this game is that AD is slowly becoming even harder to earn. As it gets scarce, it makes the cost of the items in the AH even costlier. I look at the empty AD for Zen market exchange and wonder. After all if Zen is so badly needed and then you remove ways for users to earn that AD to get Zen, then how should they advertise how you can convert in game currency/reward/whatever for zen to use in the store or use the AD in the AH.

I would much rather they meet somewhere in the middle. I would love their formulas to someday become known. As they sure have something going. Oh, 1% chance to upgrade this item, but we have the 100 proof version for sale. Why even offer that item for upgrade at 1% with the needed item an extreme rarity, too expensive in the Zen store and way too much in AH and the AD used to buy it, even harder to earn, which means more hours grinding for less of a return. A refinement item which at most might be what 1000 rp's. Well good luck on upgrading that artifact that finally dropped in Chult or Omu.

They need to find other ways for users to get AD or people will still be playing in Icewind Dale as they can't get enough AD for that item to keep them going in Chult, Omu and future releases. I don't want a gravy train, I want a train on schedule, clean and fair ticket prices (stupid comparison but I am tired).

To me they just keep chipping away at AD like we all do on Black Ice, except Black Ice is more or less fair.

• pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    The ZAX backlog is due to too much AD in the economy, not enough people buying Zen to sell or some combination of the two. There is also a probable sale in the Zen store that creates demand but that seems far enough off to not cause the current backlog. IMO of course, others feel differently.

For what it's worth, Asterdahl has said AD generation per account is up since M12.5 launch.
    Post edited by pitshade on
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother

Well at least you are honest about benefits you lost.

I have not considered it was a benefit I loss. At least, not until the next 2xEnchant, that is the time I know what happens myself.
    Until then, I consider I got a free ride that I should not have and stuff is now back to 'normal' (until it is proven otherwise in the next 2xEnchant).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    I don't know if they manage the exchange the same as they do in Star Trek Online. As zen in that game is just as important as the game version of AD, Dilithium refined. There you can only refine 8k a day. So if you were to do everything in the game and every part where you are rewarded unref. dil, you still only get 8k a day to refine. Perhaps that is what needs a correction in this game, slowing down the conversion, without launching the game to quote fact and not guess, isn't 36k the current limit or around that. If so knock it down to 20k and see what effect it has (okay maybe too drastic but you hopefully you see my point). Then someone who gathers up 300k in a few days will have to wait more than just a few days to reap the benefits. You can earn all you want but it takes time to use it.

Also in STO, I think it is part of a the life sub and 8 month subscriber (I would have to go look, don't feel like it) but they offer a special mission that will refine a little more. Perhaps put that into the VIP package, where you can refine a little more as a benefit.

In terms of the exchange I don't know how to fix it. It doesn't really fit into a business model that can be explained or matched as online games don't follow those rules you learned in business classes. When something should be up it is down and so on. So perhaps slow down the conversion instead however allow the unrefined to remain accessible in reasonable amounts.
    edited April 2018

I don't know if they manage the exchange the same as they do in Star Trek Online. As zen in that game is just as important as the game version of AD, Dilithium refined. There you can only refine 8k a day. So if you were to do everything in the game and every part where you are rewarded unref. dil, you still only get 8k a day to refine. Perhaps that is what needs a correction in this game, slowing down the conversion, without launching the game to quote fact and not guess, isn't 36k the current limit or around that. If so knock it down to 20k and see what effect it has (okay maybe too drastic but you hopefully you see my point). Then someone who gathers up 300k in a few days will have to wait more than just a few days to reap the benefits. You can earn all you want but it takes time to use it.

Also in STO, I think it is part of a the life sub and 8 month subscriber (I would have to go look, don't feel like it) but they offer a special mission that will refine a little more. Perhaps put that into the VIP package, where you can refine a little more as a benefit.

In terms of the exchange I don't know how to fix it. It doesn't really fit into a business model that can be explained or matched as online games don't follow those rules you learned in business classes. When something should be up it is down and so on. So perhaps slow down the conversion instead however allow the unrefined to remain accessible in reasonable amounts.

The refinement limit was 24K. Because of mod 6, many players left. Leadership rAD cut, rAD production dropped. Plus, other factors. Zen exchange rate dropped below 500 to almost 300. One of Cryptic's QE1 (or QE2) was to increase daily refinement limit to 36K.

May be certain level of player has hard time to earn AD. However, in general, AD is easy to earn than before if you can do something you may not want to do such as RQ.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Just anecdotal but yesterday, I opened my week's rewards on 11 characters. Each one had between 11 and 16 rewards. Total RAD rewards were 5. No character received more than 1.

That's a total of 14,850,000 xp - or about 8 total xp rewards under the old system. I'd say you did ok, all things considered. Way better than a 1/17 chance.
    cdnbison said:

pitshade said:

That's a total of 14,850,000 xp - or about 8 total xp rewards under the old system. I'd say you did ok, all things considered. Way better than a 1/17 chance.
    Although I won't say 1/8 is great under the old system, "ok" is about right. At least, it is not as bad as I could imagine.
    I just got my first 30K reward, on my 128th try. And to Plasticbat, 17x the number of rewards is not 17x the ADs for most people as you get them too fast to get the bonus rAD on all of them, when you possibly did before (I know I did always).
    edited April 2018

I just got my first 30K reward, on my 128th try. And to Plasticbat, 17x the number of rewards is not 17x the ADs for most people as you get them too fast to get the bonus rAD on all of them, when you possibly did before (I know I did always).

Since you said you just got it, it means it is after the nerf which is supposed to have similar earning as before mod 13.
    128 * 100000 / 1780000 = 7.19. That means you get the AD rewards in 1/7 using the old system. That is a ok ratio.

You are probably right about the 17x comment but I can only base on my limited experience and limited estimation. What I said was about when the nerf did not apply.

Before mod 13, each 2xEnchant, I usually get 300K to 500K.
    Before the nerf, I cashed out all the XP rewards (I can't wait for 2xEnchant). I got 3 million. Let me assume it was in the middle of two 2xEnchant.

3 million / (300K / 2) = 20. 3 million / (500K / 2) = 12. Using this limited estimation, 17x is about right.

Of course, everything is about RNG and my estimation is a very rough estimation. My number is based on what I got.
    As I said, I personally don't know what the nerf impact to me yet.

P.S. I forgot to mention. My AD earning from XP overflow includes AD bonus. I would not claim it if I do not have enough AD bonus to cover it. Hence, each pop is 45K rAD for me.
    However, when I cashed out XP reward before the nerf, I did not follow this directive and emptied the AD bonus pool and kept going. i.e. I could have get much more than 3 million rAD.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    That AD bonus sure does make a difference and it drains fast depending on what you do.

Since you said you just got it, it means it is after the nerf which is supposed to have similar earning as before mod 13.
    128 * 100000 / 1780000 = 7.19. That means you get the AD rewards in 1/7 using the old system. That is a ok ratio.

Well it took me 12 days to get one playing if anything more than I normally do, it was rare for me to go more than 4 days without one before. Didn't they adjust some sources of XP to reduce the amount given in conjunction with the change in overflow ?

edited April 2018
    Well it was a fixed number of 1,xyz,xyz (xyz can't remember the numbers) that I thought the system was setup for. Now this constant reward at just 100,000 with minimal items and almost the same chance to get AD as being able to hit 1% upgrade chance without possibly burning through 50, 100, 500 or more wards (that is a guess) but they said good luck essentially. I wish they would reverse it as I preferred a better reward less often than now.
    edited April 2018

Well it took me 12 days to get one playing if anything more than I normally do, it was rare for me to go more than 4 days without one before. Didn't they adjust some sources of XP to reduce the amount given in conjunction with the change in overflow ?

What is the "before" you referred to?

There are 3 periods:
    a. before mod 13. 1.78 million XP to get 1 XP overflow reward. Drop rate: X%.
    b. After mod 13 but before the nerf. 100K XP to get 1 XP overflow reward. Drop rate: X%.
    c. After the nerf. i.e. now. 100K XP to get 1 XP overflow reward. Drop rate: a fraction of X%.

If they did that right, the amount of AD you get from the same amount of XP (not number of XP reward) should be the same for (a) and (c).

The source of XP they adjusted are XP earning from some quest which were way higher than other quest. They are no where near to 1/17 of before.

Well it was a fixed number of 1,xyz,xyz (xyz can't remember the numbers) that I thought the system was setup for. Now this constant reward at just 100,000 with minimal items and almost the same chance to get AD as being able to hit 1% upgrade chance without possibly burning through 50, 100, 500 or more wards (that is a guess) but they said good luck essentially. I wish they would reverse it as I preferred a better reward less often than now.

For the current way, on the bright side, you get 17x RP if you do not hit AD reward or the XP books.

What is the "before" you referred to?

There are 3 periods:
    a. before mod 13. 1.78 million XP to get 1 XP overflow reward. Drop rate: X%.
    b. After mod 13 but before the nerf. 100K XP to get 1 XP overflow reward. Drop rate: X%.
    c. After the nerf. i.e. now. 100K XP to get 1 XP overflow reward. Drop rate: a fraction of X%.

If they did that right, the amount of AD you get from the same amount of XP (not number of XP reward) should be the same for (a) and (c).

The source of XP they adjusted are XP earning from some quest which were way higher than other quest. They are no where near to 1/17 of before.
    a) was almost never going 4 days without an AD bonus
    b) was getting several a day
    c) 1/150 now, one in 12-13 days (my 128th award).

And while the reduction in XP for quests was not 1/17, if that's what they divided the chance of getting the AD award by when they fixed it, they got it wrong. As I said, I'm seeing a massive reduction (70%+), I was getting 1 every 2-3 days in stage a.

• chidionchidion Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    The issue as I see it is there were some players who appeared to be exploiting the overflow AD feature and because of that the option was removed from everyone - not just those players who were exploiting the AD overflow feature... let's be honest here.

Cryptic did the right thing by disabling the feature because although it was legitimate, it was still something a few players decided to take advantage of - just like the Gateway AD feature - and for that reason everyone had the AD production features nurfed or removed - it is what it is.
  • ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    could it be that the power point drop was nerfed as well? i get this impression...
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    Still getting a lot of power points, myself.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I too don't seem to be getting as many power point drops from overflow invoking either, but as I figure that is pretty much random anyway so I can't say one way or another if it has been intentionally reduced... but then I suspect as just regular players, that is something we are ever likely to know.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

I am not "complaining", more so explaining, why roll over XP rewards and invoking don't appeal to me, as an individual, in Neverwinter.
    First lets take a look at the development of invoking...

In the beginning (2013), the invoking game mechanic was an hourly thing to do and the reward were minimal to XP boost only.
    Invocation can had the following results:

Unnoticed: A small amount of XP is the only reward for this outcome.
    Recognized: Reward a small amount of XP plus a small random stat boost.
    Acknowledged: Same as "Recognized" plus a useful item, probably consumable, or stat bonus.
    Honored: Plus a more valuable item.

Additionally, every day, a Ardent Coin and Celestial Coin will be awarded that can be spent to acquire items from the Vault of Piety.

Later they added AD to the mix in 2014 and you could get;
    1st Invocation: 1,000 RAD, 4310 XP, 1 Ardent Coin and 1 Celestial Coin
    2nd Invocation: 665 RAD and 2155 XP
    3rd Invocation: 335 RAD and 1078 XP
    4th and later Invocations: A random buff and potion

No matter the fact, that the XP and AD were dropping for FREE, just for existing in the game, players would complain about the changes or say it was never enough. Today the Gods give us IOUs for AD and XP, but should that ever be changed, we will hear rants about it.
    This brings us to the topic at hand, rewards for leveling up beyond 70, aka overflow. Other games I have played generate a currency point to be spent at a special vendor on rare or unique items. Nothing random about it. Save up your points go to the vendor and get something special. Also many other games such as, League of Legends has no reward for XP earned beyond cap.
    Back in 2014, Neverwinter overflow introduced random rewards. Every 250K XP, the character receives a random reward.
    5,000 RAD
    Tome of Companion Experience
    Tome of Experience
    Power Point

When you add random chance, you are making it (as if) you are gambling. "Maybe this time, I will win the jackpot!" This is nothing more than a psychological ploy to those susceptible to gambling. For example; you can become just as addicted to poker as one who risks (and sometimes wins) real money, even though real steaks are not in use. I know people, who get upset beyond control when they lose a card game. I don't play cards with those people anymore. Before you tell me I don't understand addiction, I am a member of AA for 20 years now.

Do I invoke and appreciate the invoking and overflow? Of course I do, it is currently a game mechanic. However the mechanic would be better, if random results were removed from it. But they won't remove the random results because it draws and appeals to those who gamble. I have no issue with those who enjoy the sense of gambling. With the current environment of the gaming community and governments wanting to place restrictions on such activities, I would look at heading in another direction or change the mechanics to fixed as much as possible.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User

I have recently raised about 10 levels and got 3 30k RAD rewards. Its all just RNG I reckon :smile:

I have recently raised about 10 levels and got 3 30k RAD rewards. Its all just RNG I reckon :smile:
    As we know, Cryptic's RNG is horribly streaky, I'm now 3/162 having had 2 occur out of 5.

• reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User

Agree'd! I got 3 x 30k AD on one character today. Not sure how many level ups for them though. I understand why the nerf, there was one day before the nerf I leveled one character over 35 times :) I stacked the XP boost % as high as I could and quested like mad!
  • sjza80sjza80 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    So do I take it that being on Xbox I should really cash out all stored XP rewards prior to mod 13 since the AD reward rate will drop and affect what I've currently got, not just the new rewards?