test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Druids?

konmarukonmaru Member Posts: 1 Arc User
I was wondering, is there any news on whether or not we'll be seeing a Druid class? The tabletop class is very flexible in a party, with healing and melee (with the shape-shifting). what do you guys think, would it be interesting? i play a lot of Tabletop 5e and it's my favorite class, so i was just wondering what your thoughts were, and if you think we'll see it sooner or later.

Comments

• mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Mod 13 was a fairly small expansion, with a lot of reused stuff from mod 12/12b

12b was rather tiny too.

This can be explained by one of two explanations:
    * The Cryptic development staff has been so reduced that they have little ability left to produce significant content
    or
    * Cryptic is giving us some small expansions while they are working on something big like a new class

Pick your choice :)

Really, I doubt there are enough development resources left in the Cryptic NW team to embark on a major project like a new class now. Game is almost 5 years old, and it is a natural part of product lifecycle that the develoment staff has been tuned down as income has fallen.

Given the class balancing problems we have currently(CW/TR) there might be better things to throw game designer manhours at than a new class.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,182 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    In the State of the Game, we were told all the plan for 2018 was already settled. No new class. The plan of 2019 was in drawing board. There was no encouraging answer regarding adding class in 2019 except the idea was not out right declined.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Could we please balnce the classes we have, before we add a new class to break everything?
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    My money is on Bard being the next class, followed by the Druid. I don't think we'll see either of them until they finally do raise the level cap though.
    pterias said:

My money is on Bard being the next class, followed by the Druid. I don't think we'll see either of them until they finally do raise the level cap though.

You better hope they do a new class before they raise the cap. When/if they raise the cap so much will break and need fixing that they will need the next 2-3 years to bring game back together :)

At this time I doubt they have the resources to do a cap raise though - that is probably an even bigger project than a new class.
    edited April 2018
    I doubt they will raise the cap. If they raise the cap, that will be labelled as cash grab again. There is no advantage to the existing player anyway. Last time they did that, they always killed the game.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • galwaytazalangalwaytazalan Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Over in STO they have added "specialization" to handle over the cap. It is now at 150 or higher, don't remember as ironically I haven't had time to spec out my toons (also figure wait to see what they add, maybe better than what they have now) so none of them have a complete use of each of their equivalent to leveling. They get more buffs/debuffs with each point spent and for maxing out one specialization. They also limit you to one specialization and one secondary, to prevent super Captains. However how that would be added in this game, is beyond me for answers.
    edited April 2018

Over in STO they have added "specialization" to handle over the cap. It is now at 150 or higher, don't remember as ironically I haven't had time to spec out my toons (also figure wait to see what they add, maybe better than what they have now) so none of them have a complete use of each of their equivalent to leveling. They get more buffs/debuffs with each point spent and for maxing out one specialization. They also limit you to one specialization and one secondary, to prevent super Captains. However how that would be added in this game, is beyond me for answers.

I don't know STO but in here, if you raise the level to say level 80, it means ALL your gears will need to be replaced to level 80. Many people put real money to gear up the current gear. If they raise to level 80, it means all these investment just vanish. It is not slowly vanish piece by piece. It is all gone at the same time. That was one of the reasons why mod 6 pissed off many players. Many rage quit.

I am not saying it is not possible for them to do it "right". However, based on our experience, the chance is hmmmm. At least, they will need to be super careful. However, based on our experience, even if they are super careful, the result is hmmmmm.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited April 2018

I doubt they will raise the cap. If they raise the cap, that will be labelled as cash grab again. There is no advantage to the existing player anyway. Last time they did that, they always killed the game.

Just because something is called a cash grab by some does not stop them from implementing changes. Change happens in this game. New class or level cap increase, if they want it then they will do it.

I don't know STO but in here, if you raise the level to say level 80, it means ALL your gears will need to be replaced to level 80. Many people put real money to gear up the current gear. If they raise to level 80, it means all these investment just vanish. It is not slowly vanish piece by piece. It is all gone at the same time. That was one of the reasons why mod 6 pissed off many players. Many rage quit.

I am sure some will quit. But I do not think they care that we have spent real money on things. Nerf the bonding stones for example. Oh well that some paid big money to get to Lvl 12. Change made anyway. We could go on with more changes. The fact we have paid money in the past does not change their need for sales today so I suspect they will do what they believe will bring in the money and not what will make 100% of the player base happy.

I do not disagree it could be a hard time for us players, I am just saying I do not think that it will stop them from making what ever changes they believe will keep the game profitable.

And yes, these are just my opinions. :)
    edited April 2018

Many people put real money to gear up the current gear. If they raise to level 80, it means all these investment just vanish.

* Gear being outdated as game is updated is the normal business for mmorpg's, so nobody should be surprised if that happens.
    * The only items in NWs gear model that are truly level dependent are the 12 main weapon and armor slots. You should be able to keep your enchants, your companions, your mounts and insignias, your artifacts. So most of your kit really should be fairly unaffected by a level increase to 80. They could bump character level to 80 and only offer new weapons and head/arms/chest/boots, that would give growth room for future expansions.
    edited April 2018

Many people put real money to gear up the current gear. If they raise to level 80, it means all these investment just vanish.

* Gear being outdated as game is updated is the normal business for mmorpg's, so nobody should be surprised if that happens.
    * The only items in NWs gear model that are truly level dependent are the 12 main weapon and armor slots. You should be able to keep your enchants, your companions, your mounts and insignias, your artifacts. So most of your kit really should be fairly unaffected by a level increase to 80. They could bump character level to 80 and only offer new weapons and head/arms/chest/boots, that would give growth room for future expansions.
    That was why I said slowly vanish. It takes 2 or more mod to make all your gear totally irrelevant and not immediately. If the time is spread out, people won't be hurt as much. Usually, the issue is you spend a ton to upgrade to legendary. Then, in a month, your gear becomes totally irrelevant immediately and you can't even use your level 70 (used to be BiS) to beat level 83 enemy,

Yes, there ware many ways they can do better. Will they? Also, what is the benefit of level 80 for the existing player that cannot be covered by campaign boons?