test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's vary up these grunts and groans!

So, here's a thing. You play a bunch with your bold, intrepid warrior, soundly trounce the dungeon lair boss, and then swap over to slightly ornate looking cleric so they can give it a go. They raise their holy symbol up high, and let loose a roar that.. sounds exactly like the half-orc fighter did. Or the halfling did. Orrr the dwarf. ....Annnndddd the elf. And so on and so on.

Every single female character, and every single male character, use the exact same four or so grunts and groans, respectively.

In a game supposed to be emulating at least a wee bit of the D&D experience (I know it's an MMPORPG) this is just.. silly. And more than a little jarring.

But fear not, those that bothered to read all the shiny text to get this far! I have a solution!

Heck, the resources are (like more than a few other things we'd like to see surface once more) already in the game.

Nearly every foe that we encounter in the games timeline has roughly the same amount of grunts, gurgles, and roars attached to 'em.

So why not put them to use?

By this I mean, allow players to choose a different style of audio gobbledygook from a drop down menu on their character screen, from the various foe 'styles' in the game.

So a player could roar like an orc, or snarl as a psuedo undead wraith, or maybe just grunt in a manly, sergeant Knox fashion.

Too easy? Not gated enough to last the duration, and want to stretch the feature out? Well, why not tie the source foe sound samples available to the many, many various achievements out there that, as they stand, serve no purpose beyond, "Hey, I got this and there was no !@#!#! title". That way it rewards folks that put in the time to kill their zillionth orc, and want to have a different style and feel to entice the ears.

It's a small thing, but could be a pretty nice slice-of-life addition.

You do want to give the playerbase more and more reasons to keep playing your product.. right? ..Right?

Comments

• nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Sharing this suggestion with the Audio team :)
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    And what's up with the character grunting (exclaiming, whatever) so much every time they jump?

It doesn't matter if they are jumping on level ground or off a high embankment - same noise...

Makes more sense to me to have them grunt or whatever if they lose significant hit points upon landing, not just jumping around in circles on level ground: "hup", "hup", "hup", "hup"...