test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Function Borked For New Accounts

ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
According to your own guide chat restrictions on new toons on new accounts should only be Say, Zone, Trade and LFG, but it extends to all channels, including party, guild, alliance and tells. I've seen no update on this and in fact I thought it was wai given that it's been this way since 2016 (as an old player I rarely have a reason to go hunt down the old chat rules so I didn't notice that the ban wasn't supposed to be on every form of chat)

You may want to consider fixing that, or if this is indeed wai, lifting some of those restrictions. It's costing you new players.
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.

Comments

• preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    The social restrictions should just be lifted

Give it a shot for like a week and see how bad it might be

If you guys have done any work at all on catching bad guys, doing this might bring a bunch out of the woodwork
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    Since they can't afford around the clock GMs I can understand some restrictions to combat gold sellers and the like, but the current ones are ridiculous.
    I just made a completely new account the other day to see how this game is when you're totally new. So far I've progressed to level 21 and I have yet to access any chat. Yes this include tells (despite the game telling me that I should get that at 15) and party.

I'm going to request my guild invite my new character and see if guild and alliance chat are borked too. But really, this needs fixing asap even if they aren't. Either that or the game needs to stop lying to me and claim I'll get access to something at a certain level if I won't and it's wai.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    ilithyn said:

... So far I've progressed to level 21 and I have yet to access any chat. Yes this include tells (despite the game telling me that I should get that at 15) and party. ...

I have been very vocal about this lunatic notion of making social gaming as anti-social as it gets. I was in the Graveyard calling dragon timers and it is quiet as a church in there. That is a level 30+ area. One player I spoke to couldn't talk until level 40. This is crazy insane. Meanwhile we have bots sputter about nonsense in Protectors Enclave. So how is this stopping them? When I see the new guild running their ads in chat that read "recruiting all levels PM for invite" it makes you want to cry. If the new player can't PM you until level 40, they probably feel no need to join a starter guild and learn the ropes. I don't see how blocking new users on this level helps at all.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • jizzu#6891 jizzu Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Since they can't afford around the clock GMs

really....
    I think people have and continue to pay enough into this game to make more GM's viable.

Other games give players a stake in what happens by making known players "sheriffs". For a small reward each month free coal ward for example, they would have their choice of people and give us more of a stake in the game
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    As the initial post states, there seems to be a bug with the designated chat restrictions...
    ilithyn said:

According to your own guide chat restrictions on new toons on new accounts should only be Say, Zone, Trade and LFG, but it extends to all channels, including party, guild, alliance and tells. I've seen no update on this and in fact I thought it was wai given that it's been this way since 2016 (as an old player I rarely have a reason to go hunt down the old chat rules so I didn't notice that the ban wasn't supposed to be on every form of chat)

Perhaps instead of volunteer "sheriffs" that need to be rewarded, a few more developers or programmers (or a temporary reallocation of currently available resources) to fix what appears to be broken.
    ilithyn said:

You may want to consider fixing that, or if this is indeed wai, lifting some of those restrictions. It's costing you new players.

Agree - I don't think the in game tutorial is the 'all encompassing guiding light' some people think it should be.

edited March 2018
    chidion said:

Agree - I don't think the in game tutorial is the 'all encompassing guiding light' some people think it should be.

Can you believe they have actually improved the tutorial somewhat? Yes, it used to be a lot less informative than it currently is now. But back then the new players could ask legitimate questions of current players and alpha testers such as myself. Now when chat is not flooded with nonsense topics like flat Earth and conspiracy theories, we still have spambots. The spambots come in a variety of flavors now, from the old real money for gold sellers to annoying troll bots that post what appears to be a script of political propaganda. Real people try to argue with some bots and the bot has an AI script that fires back a new line of propaganda about anything mentioned in chat.

While making a new chat zone to talk is easy, it would seem the new player can't even emote in chat! The last person who came up with a nice idea was a guild mate of mine who sadly no longer plays Neverwinter. Dr Tomoko (aka doctordna) set up a new chat zone called "Rezone" non restricted chat, all you needed to do was drop zone and join rezone. However no one wanted to use it and at the peak there was about 40 of us in there. He never removed this so rezone is still there, just very empty. It is difficult to convince people to join a chat channel because there is no tutorial about it, and new players thought they were going to be scammed.

I made the suggestion that new players be allow a list of scripted responses akin to emotes. A simple conversation could be held with just a few questions and answers;
    1. I am new and need help on (current quest in log).
    2. Yes.
    3. No.
    4. My character is a (level) (class) and would like to join a starter guild.
      ....etc....
    There could be a series of these made up and a cool down of 15 or 20 seconds to prevent spamming. But I think fixing it and limiting it to what Andy said about year ago would probably be easier. I disagree with his assessment that "barriers of entry are quite low, meaning you’ll only need to play for a few hours" I find this to be far too ridged. And the only barrier needs to be either level or maybe the first 3 quests on that list.
    wb-cenders.gif
    IMO private chat channels do seem the way to go for active groups, particularly if the owner can appoint a few trusted members with deny and remove authority to self govern and keep out the riffraff, but I suppose it wouldn't work in every instance.

I just think the LL chat restrictions should be fixed, or at the very least any restrictions on the Party Chat channel should be lifted.
    @chidion with rezone chat channel there are no restrictions you either join or not. This was someplace other than zone chat to talk, I just check and it is still there. Getting people to join it and drop the zone is the real issue. There was a game I played years ago called Rift that had the chat leveled. As I recall the segments was by tens. A level 20 could join the level 1-10 chat but that contained most of your spammers. Being restricted to a zone would be better than not being able to talk at all.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    I want to facedesk, I want to facedesk so bloody hard right now.

So, according to your own damn blog:
    To unlock trading, auction house, and other social functions, one must have completed any five of the following quest chains on any one character on the account. Once unlocked on any one character, all characters will be unrestricted.

Chain: Return of the Crown
    Quests to complete:
    The Trail of the Crown
    Cornering Karzov

Chain: The Tower District
    Quests to complete:
    Returning the Pain
    Fists of the Warband
    Into the Cloak Tower

Chain: The Plague Tower
    Quests to complete:
    Troubled Times
    The Plague Tower

Chain: Blackdagger Ruins
    Quests to complete:
    The Sea Caves
    Bloodying the Bandits
    Grimstorm Keep

Chain: Neverdeath
    Quests to complete:
    Dragon Attack
    Opening the Way
    The Clockwork Tomb

Chain: Helm's Hold
    Quests to complete:
    The Underscar
    The Being from Beyond
    The Sanatorium

One can in game these required quests as they are all be displayed in the new Campaign Layout screens and menus.

Furthermore if you try to use any of these chat channels in the game before unlock this is what you're told. So obviosuly this is what you have to do, yes?
    No.

So as previously stated I've started a new account and today my new toon finished Blackdagger Ruins, handed in both that, the artifact quest and the one to the All Seeing Eye or whatever. Just shy of level 29 and thinking damn I'llbe mind to late 30s by the time I can chat I got myself to Neverdeath.
    Now, because my purpose here have been to test how all of this works for newcomers and because tell didn't unlock at level 15 as promised (plus party didn't work either) I tried to chat again upon arrival. And lo and behold I could use both Zone, Say, LFG and Trade channels. Except unless I suddenly can't count this is only four quest chains: Return the Crown, The Tower District, The Plague Tower and Blackdagger Ruins. One, Two, Three, Four.

Now I'm absolutely thrilled that I can talk already, because I've long since run into issues that I'm not sure new players would be able to handle on their own without asking for advice and I ran into more here. But the game misinforms a new player, people who isn't testing this wouldn't normally think to try and talk at this point as they'd already been told repeatedly by the game that they won't be able to yet. So if they find out they can speak "prematurely" it would be by accident.
    Guys, this is absolutely amateurish. And as pointed out, tell doesn't unlock at 15 either as promised, but it did so with the rest of the chat functions.
    Haven't tried if I can use the AH yet. I'll test tomorrow or Thursday.

But @kreatyve and @nitocris83 can you pass this on to the relevant dev? Either update the in game info or... idk something, this is not a good look to give new players false information about something so common and crucial as chatting in a multiplayer game. And they fact that both your in game info and your blog if is wrong is just... nah.

As an N.B. I'd like to add that you might while you're at it make it clear that these unlocks are account unlocks. Right now, at least in game, it reads like you have to do this on each and every single toon. Which tbqh feels discouraging for making alts.
    edited March 2018
    I have to admit the instances of third party vendor spamming seems to be greatly diminished from what it once was and I'm going to presume that is due to some of the chat restrictions Neverwinter has implemented...

However I wonder about the trade off of limiting admittedly annoying and detrimental third party vendor spamming at the sacrifice of new/low level player ability to get relevant information pertaining to playing Neverwinter if they need it.

Currently there seems to be so many chat channels that appear to be underutilized (opinions on this vary I suppose) but perhaps eliminating one of these less use chat channels and making it a "New/LL Chat" channel with no restrictions with a static advisory "Advertising and Promoting Third Party Vendors Is Against Game TOS" would be an option.

That chat channel the only chat new and low level players can participate in until they are able to lift their own character chat restrictions could be an option.

Players who don't care to see the chatter in that channel could simply unselect it and turn it off and players who want to use this chat channel for exchange of information could make sure it is selected...

Of course I'm posting this suggestion purely from a player's perspective and not from a developer/programmer perspective and have no idea what kind of tinkering a suggestion like that would entail, but just as a regular gamer suggestion, perhaps that might be something to consider as a workable alternative.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    The thread has been forwarded to Julia.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • wintermute#0867 wintermute Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    ilithyn said:

I want to facedesk, I want to facedesk so bloody hard right now.

So, according to your own damn blog:

To unlock trading, auction house, and other social functions, one must have completed any five of the following quest chains on any one character on the account. Once unlocked on any one character, all characters will be unrestricted.
    I first played this game extensively on PS4, every time I tried to talk to someone else some red text would pop up, basically a summary of what you posted, then disappear before I had a chance to read it all. It may have been possible to check the chat log but mostly any message there was instantly drowned out by a bunch of posts from people trying to sell things with abbreviations I didn't understand.

I have since then worked most of it out, but this is what my experience was like as a new player, it basically taught me to ignore the social aspect of the game and treat it as a single player RPG which happened to have other players in it.