test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Req] Team Competitive Queue for Domination (Details)

julianalz55julianalz55 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 89 Arc User
Hello everyone, I am going to talk about something a lot of us have wanted in PvP for a while on every platform; Xbox, PS4 and PC. For a while now, Neverwinter PvP has been in a terrible state. The competitive part of the game is missing(dead), and we'd strongly like to make some changes and to see the implementation of a Team Competitive Queue with team-based leaderboards. For that reason, we've made this thread to explain and promote a fair-play platform with acceptable incentives, while promoting a healthier playing environment.

1. Why teams and not guilds ?

A guild is a larger group of people with a leader and staff members. Everyone knows each other well and you do a lot of things together in the guild. A guild is like a family you stay always together it doesn't matter what happens.

A team is a group of 5-10 people with no true leadership, just an organizer/captain. You do everything together as well, but the difference is a team can change a lot, and it can be a sub-set of a guild, or it can be made of friends from different guilds. Teams allow for more close cooperation and practice in a smaller group than guilds do.

2. Team Competitive User Interface Technical Details

This could be easily implemented in the usual window tab when we press “k”” to view the leaderboards. A fourth sub-tab can be made for Team Settings, and the current tabs Match History and Standings can be changed to Personal Match History and Standings/Team Match History and Team Standings. e.g:

Pic 1 Team Settings

This should be the control panel of setting up a team to invite members, edit the current team roster: main members and substitions, and also setting the team tag that can be shown in the team leaderboard. Deserting members can leave the team within 24hours (similar to the alliance guild invites)

Pic 2 Team Standings

This should be pretty simple, as participating in the queue you will gain some points and you will advance in the leaderboard as a team.

Pic 3 Eligible Team Queue

To be eligible for the queue, all group members should be on the same team, and the queue should enforce rainbow compositions, meaning no more than one class per group team.Also.a team of 5 substitution can’t be eligible for the queue.

3. How to incorporate rewards ONLY for team competitive queue/leaderboards.

I understand that the current PvP campaign requires some improvements, but this should get its own campaign and set of rewards.

a. The campaign should be there for everyone to participate in, and it should be easy to reach 100% in it as long as they participate in the team competitive queue. The set rewards should be pretty simple, such as refinement points or cosmetic mounts. The campaign should come in different tiers of rewards with Tasks, similar to these examples.

Tier 1: play 10 matches
Defend 10 nodes
Cap 10 nodes

Tier 2: Win 50 matches
Get 50 Assists
Rresurrect 10 allies.
Tier 3: ….
……………..
Tier 6: Play 500 Matches
Cap 500 nodes
Protect the nodes 100 times.

Once each tier is unlocked, it should reward the player with Bound to Account refinement. Once tier 6 is unlocked, it should reward them with a 50%/80% speed mount but with a unique skin for cosmetic purpose.
Every four months, the leaderboard alongside the campaign should reset, giving players the choice of doing a repeatable campaign that is providing rewards, so players who participate in the team competitive queue will be given the campaign rewards as long as they are persistent. Also, to not make the mount trivial, its color can be easily changed each module.

b. A new type of currency besides glory should be added to the system, like using the old NCL one. After winning a match in the team competitive queue you should be rewarded with this currency, which can be spent in the NCL vendor for different items such as BtA enchantments r9, artifacts or equipment such as a legendary weapon maybe with less effective stats/weapon damage in PvE, but viable in PvP with a set bonus that only works in PVP, similar to the Strategist PvP Gear. e.g
Pic 1

c. The last type of reward it should be given to the top eams because of their hardwork of finishing top 3 teams in leaderboard each player of those teams should be rewarded with a title.for 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place. This title does not have to change, and it can potentially be made so that the title is only held by the reigning champions.

4. The benefits of Team Competitive Queue alongside Solo Queue and Private PvP Queue.

Provide teams with thrilling and intense competition to match their skill level
Feel like the ultimate way to play Neveriwnter PvP as a five-person premade
Deliver real rewards and ways to show them off for years to come

There should be a lot of benefits, coming from all these 3 different queues at once, or as I like to call them, the Holy Trio e.g.

pic 1 Holy Trio.

Basically this is the process that we think it will play out; a new player trying out PvP for the first time, he is going to participate in the solo queue, because he will be unprepared compared to others, and not being knowledgeable about PvP strategies. There will eventually be a chance for him to learn more by participating with his friends in the Team Competitive Queue, and there he and his friends will strive to become stronger, and also to use the private PvP queue to set up training matches with other teams or other friends, and at this point each type of queue will strengthen the other by educating and improving the quality of players and offering better matches for everyone.

By following this model, the PvP community will grow again, and in the future we can look at probably improving the matchmaking system, or perhaps the gear progression of each player to be competitive. Once we have established teams, the community can also use the private PvP queue to create custom tournaments. Once the majority will follow this pattern, everything in this game will change.

5. Other things that should be mentioned:

a. We have been asking for years for a new PvP map, so it would be nice to get a PVP map as soon as possible. This could be done either by bringing in a new map or using an existing one, one of which is the Dwarven Valley Bid Area, which can easily be recreated as a PvP domination map; e.g

b. Letting us choose in private queue which map we want to be transferred to, by checking a box Hotenow Domination / Rivenscar ruins or TBD.

c. Recently, in a Q&A State of Game in World of Warcraft, they spoke about implementing a spectator mode. I believe it could be a good idea for PvP in Neverwinter to have such a feature. This feature should be for private matches. It would be nice to livestream some matches and have a live commentary of those on Twitch. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Spectator_Invite_System

d. Possibilities for Monetization: This would also open up new potential avenues for Cryptic and PW to increase revenue. There could be collectables like lootboxes gaining them from PvP matches, ZEN Boosters, or vouchers

e. In conclusion: I know that i haven’t touched every other issue in PvP, such as Class Balance, a new game mode, the gear gap, or the companion bonuses that still retardedly apply in some areas. But we think the team competitive queue should be a priority above the rest, and it's exactly what is missing from the Holy Trio.

@rgutscheradev @mimicking#6533 @noworries#8859 @asterdahl @nitocris83 @sgrantdev#8718 @balanced#2849 @ctatumdev#6113

Please let us know what you think! Is this a viable solution? Is it too limiting? Should team sizes be larger or smaller? Should players have access to more or less teams? Any input or support is greatly appreciated, and hopefully we can find a way to improve the Competitive experience for all players!

Comments

• croustymielcroustymiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    Nice post , would be great if the devs could do something about this .
  • texy1texy1 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Some very nice and well put together ideas here.
    Powers That Be, take note!
    Post edited by texy1 on
  • starheretic70starheretic70 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    - the base of a mmo is to play with your friends and solo Q kill pvp
    - any improvement in that way is good
    - new maps in necessary, creating pvp maps with foundry would be awesome
    - nice post
  • unthoughtknownunthoughtknown Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    This is a great post with some well thought out ideas. Would be great if some of it was actually put into action to make PVP great again.
  • alj0schaalj0scha Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    nicely developed idea. would be great to eventually get pvp back to that state.
  • chiennedeluxechiennedeluxe Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Hope Cryptic Devs see that!
    Papa Smurf / Uncle Ben --DC
    Santa Claus --GF
    Gargamel --CW
  • kingleo#8110 kingleo Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    support this!!
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

- nice post

Playing with your friends (pre-mades) and the behavior that that led to (pug-stomping) is what killed PvP. Solo-queue is the only thing keeping it alive at this point.
  • glorf755glorf755 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    this could be a nice idea^^
  • elpide31elpide31 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    Nice idea, hope devs read this
  • seraphina#2749 seraphina Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    For me as non pvp player the campaign is a pain in the... to complete, yeah sure u can group with ppl and get it easy done in IWD or in pvp matches but what if u dont have the opportunity to do that? u simply cant complete the pvp campaign cause when u queue u either get ppl in your team with no gear at all and low IL and u are against geared ppl with BiS so yes ofc i stopped trying playing any pvp content even if i would like to play it more often. If u guys would change some things about the campaign itself and the match making i am pretty sure also more pve players would be attracted to pvp more again. And yes sure theres the solo queue ofc but be realistic u can just queue seperated and still have a high chance to face premades. Its a good post and i hope that they read it and maybe change a few thhings.
  • issssshoisssssho Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 105 Arc User
    Great work with covering all the important parts. In case devs like it, it could be elaborated further to explain things more in details and adjust the idea a bit to make coding easier.
    We are aware that it might take some time to implement it all but even a part of it would really help to start with.
    With great power comes great electricity bill.

THC
    http://www.theholycrusaders.com/
  • jaystrides1jaystrides1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    It's time for the Devs to get there foot out of there <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and listen to the people ideas and opinions to save there dying game...

One and only Krispynator

• colonelfreezycolonelfreezy Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Great idea!
    Would be awesome if the devs could bring PvP back to life!
    Greets
    Chieftain
    bosschiefk5dnslchu6.png
    cnagbser.png

- nice post

Playing with your friends (pre-mades) and the behavior that that led to (pug-stomping) is what killed PvP. Solo-queue is the only thing keeping it alive at this point.

alive ? NO ... you have 4k gs with 16k gs ... this is not a game I want to play

Hamster this solo Q
  • tholan#1688 tholan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 204 Arc User
    Nice Post! Well developed idea and i totally agree with him!
  • morosix1morosix1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I played PvP from module 1 to 3 and there were a lot of players to play with. I started to play the game recently and i am happy with the progress it had, especially the interest from developers towards PVP:
    - solo queue
    -private Queue
    I think these are two essential improvements to the game, to make the PvP successful. Now the main concern that arises as evoked in the post is the number of players that group together is less, because we have same maps it could be the reason of class balance or something else.
    It would be enough of a reason to implement the team competitive queue as it forces to play with your friends/team. This way the game is balanced between the queues and more attractive. In the future we can hope to see tournaments? maybe our mini eSport game? :)
  • jojo#2051 jojo Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Great idea. I'd prefer more flexibility regarding the team size though, so it'll be easier to get matches. Team size would be limited to 8 members then (one of each class)
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

It's time for the Devs to get there foot out of there HAMSTER, and listen to the people ideas and opinions to save there dying game...

The game is not dying... only PvP
  • adam#4330 adam Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    This is a good idea !! We need this !
  • turzanturzan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    Very nice post mate i totally agree, but we need to remember: matchmaking is the thing which kills pvp, solo q could be very nice solution but gap between new/old players is very big - and is still growing - how low geared (read ungeared) player can be put to the same pot with old bis players, most of my pvp is real pugstomping - worse than in the past when premades were alive - cuz 6-9k itlvl chars in my match. Last time i saw 3,049 cw in my match - its some kind of joke or ppl started to troll pvp. I am afraid if they dont fix matchmaking your idea (which is great) will be HAMSTER up very hard.
    Godfinder
  • heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User

Hello everyone, I am going to talk about something a lot of us have wanted in PvP for a while on every platform; Xbox, PS4 and PC. For a while now, Neverwinter PvP has been in a terrible state. The competitive part of the game is missing(dead), and we'd strongly like to make some changes and to see the implementation of a Team Competitive Queue with team-based leaderboards. For that reason, we've made this thread to explain and promote a fair-play platform with acceptable incentives, while promoting a healthier playing environment.

1. Why teams and not guilds ?

A guild is a larger group of people with a leader and staff members. Everyone knows each other well and you do a lot of things together in the guild. A guild is like a family you stay always together it doesn't matter what happens.

A team is a group of 5-10 people with no true leadership, just an organizer/captain. You do everything together as well, but the difference is a team can change a lot, and it can be a sub-set of a guild, or it can be made of friends from different guilds. Teams allow for more close cooperation and practice in a smaller group than guilds do.

2. Team Competitive User Interface Technical Details

This could be easily implemented in the usual window tab when we press “k”” to view the leaderboards. A fourth sub-tab can be made for Team Settings, and the current tabs Match History and Standings can be changed to Personal Match History and Standings/Team Match History and Team Standings. e.g:

Pic 1 Team Settings

This should be the control panel of setting up a team to invite members, edit the current team roster: main members and substitions, and also setting the team tag that can be shown in the team leaderboard. Deserting members can leave the team within 24hours (similar to the alliance guild invites)

Pic 2 Team Standings

This should be pretty simple, as participating in the queue you will gain some points and you will advance in the leaderboard as a team.

Pic 3 Eligible Team Queue

To be eligible for the queue, all group members should be on the same team, and the queue should enforce rainbow compositions, meaning no more than one class per group team.Also.a team of 5 substitution can’t be eligible for the queue.

3. How to incorporate rewards ONLY for team competitive queue/leaderboards.

I understand that the current PvP campaign requires some improvements, but this should get its own campaign and set of rewards.

a. The campaign should be there for everyone to participate in, and it should be easy to reach 100% in it as long as they participate in the team competitive queue. The set rewards should be pretty simple, such as refinement points or cosmetic mounts. The campaign should come in different tiers of rewards with Tasks, similar to these examples.

Tier 1: play 10 matches
    Defend 10 nodes
    Cap 10 nodes

Tier 2: Win 50 matches
    Get 50 Assists
    Rresurrect 10 allies.
    Tier 3: ….
    ……………..
    Tier 6: Play 500 Matches
    Cap 500 nodes
    Protect the nodes 100 times.

Once each tier is unlocked, it should reward the player with Bound to Account refinement. Once tier 6 is unlocked, it should reward them with a 50%/80% speed mount but with a unique skin for cosmetic purpose.
    Every four months, the leaderboard alongside the campaign should reset, giving players the choice of doing a repeatable campaign that is providing rewards, so players who participate in the team competitive queue will be given the campaign rewards as long as they are persistent. Also, to not make the mount trivial, its color can be easily changed each module.

b. A new type of currency besides glory should be added to the system, like using the old NCL one. After winning a match in the team competitive queue you should be rewarded with this currency, which can be spent in the NCL vendor for different items such as BtA enchantments r9, artifacts or equipment such as a legendary weapon maybe with less effective stats/weapon damage in PvE, but viable in PvP with a set bonus that only works in PVP, similar to the Strategist PvP Gear. e.g
    Pic 1

c. The last type of reward it should be given to the top eams because of their hardwork of finishing top 3 teams in leaderboard each player of those teams should be rewarded with a title.for 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place. This title does not have to change, and it can potentially be made so that the title is only held by the reigning champions.

4. The benefits of Team Competitive Queue alongside Solo Queue and Private PvP Queue.

Provide teams with thrilling and intense competition to match their skill level
    Feel like the ultimate way to play Neveriwnter PvP as a five-person premade
    Deliver real rewards and ways to show them off for years to come

There should be a lot of benefits, coming from all these 3 different queues at once, or as I like to call them, the Holy Trio e.g.

pic 1 Holy Trio.

Basically this is the process that we think it will play out; a new player trying out PvP for the first time, he is going to participate in the solo queue, because he will be unprepared compared to others, and not being knowledgeable about PvP strategies. There will eventually be a chance for him to learn more by participating with his friends in the Team Competitive Queue, and there he and his friends will strive to become stronger, and also to use the private PvP queue to set up training matches with other teams or other friends, and at this point each type of queue will strengthen the other by educating and improving the quality of players and offering better matches for everyone.

By following this model, the PvP community will grow again, and in the future we can look at probably improving the matchmaking system, or perhaps the gear progression of each player to be competitive. Once we have established teams, the community can also use the private PvP queue to create custom tournaments. Once the majority will follow this pattern, everything in this game will change.

5. Other things that should be mentioned:

a. We have been asking for years for a new PvP map, so it would be nice to get a PVP map as soon as possible. This could be done either by bringing in a new map or using an existing one, one of which is the Dwarven Valley Bid Area, which can easily be recreated as a PvP domination map; e.g

b. Letting us choose in private queue which map we want to be transferred to, by checking a box Hotenow Domination / Rivenscar ruins or TBD.

c. Recently, in a Q&A State of Game in World of Warcraft, they spoke about implementing a spectator mode. I believe it could be a good idea for PvP in Neverwinter to have such a feature. This feature should be for private matches. It would be nice to livestream some matches and have a live commentary of those on Twitch. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Spectator_Invite_System

d. Possibilities for Monetization: This would also open up new potential avenues for Cryptic and PW to increase revenue. There could be collectables like lootboxes gaining them from PvP matches, ZEN Boosters, or vouchers

e. In conclusion: I know that i haven’t touched every other issue in PvP, such as Class Balance, a new game mode, the gear gap, or the companion bonuses that still retardedly apply in some areas. But we think the team competitive queue should be a priority above the rest, and it's exactly what is missing from the Holy Trio.

@rgutscheradev @mimicking#6533 @noworries#8859 @asterdahl @nitocris83 @sgrantdev#8718 @balanced#2849 @ctatumdev#6113

Please let us know what you think! Is this a viable solution? Is it too limiting? Should team sizes be larger or smaller? Should players have access to more or less teams? Any input or support is greatly appreciated, and hopefully we can find a way to improve the Competitive experience for all players!

Agreed PVP Needs Some Real Love and we have ourselves couple of ideas in your post ^^ really want to enjoy the game mode too i hope these changes get implemented and we get class balance for PVP :smile:
  • pornmannpornmann Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Great idea! hopefully devs,mods will listen to the ideas,opinions,comments to the players! we've been supporting many times NW even the scaling goes down and up, we still keep it up and stay positive! B)
    edited February 2018
    " Stay positive "

no, until the DEVs decide to play and see for themselves , nothing will change

wait when a DEV go pvp as GWF and get HAMSTER by SoD or when he/she will hit a paladin for 10 minutes on a node
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I read this post and it is like deja vu all over again and again and again
    or bad acid / mushroom trip
  • mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    REally interesting.

I would maybe say do it like some cellphone games does it.
    • Everyone start at rank 0
    • if you win a game you get a "trophy/badge/something"
    • if you loose you loose one trophy
    • if you have say 5 trophy's you get promoted to rank 2 and then only play against rank 2 players.
    • if you have 0 trophy's and loose you drop one rank.
    • as you get higher in rank the amount of trophy's needed to ge higher increase.
    This will mean that you will be always be playing against players of the same strength.if you are in a level that is to hard for you after a few losses you get demoted and are playing against players your level.

As a note when ever such type of leveling system is introduced players should be aware that for the first few weeks the strong players will be low ranked and thus if you are a noob at pvp you should expect to loose :). after this intitial period players will not be scared to pvp anymore. and that is what pvp need players avoid it causse they know they will be oneshotted
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• chaoticegochaoticego Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    Great ideas lets hope some of them will make it into the game