test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Auction house under cutters.

Its getting kind of annoying seeing the value of many items go through the floor because people want to undercut so badly.
I just made a fancy pair of gemmed exquisite elemental trousers, i spent a good 70-80k worth of resources so the typical asking price of 140k seemed a very reasonable profit margin. At the time of posting mine was the cheapest option, but only by a little. After checking back i noticed that someone had undercut me at 139.5k, but then someone else had undercut the undercutter to 130k.

So this leaves me with 2 options
1. Take my item down and repost it at an even lower price
2. Keep my post up and hope that after the cheaper ones sell i wont be undercut again.

Do people really not realise that if you start an undercutting war we all lose?

Comments

• Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User

Its getting kind of annoying seeing the value of many items go through the floor because people want to undercut so badly.

I just made a fancy pair of gemmed exquisite elemental trousers, i spent a good 70-80k worth of resources so the typical asking price of 140k seemed a very reasonable profit margin. At the time of posting mine was the cheapest option, but only by a little. After checking back i noticed that someone had undercut me at 139.5k, but then someone else had undercut the undercutter to 130k.

2. Keep my post up and hope that after the cheaper ones sell i wont be undercut again.

I said something somewhat slightly related to this in another thread earlier.

No, they don't realize it. You're right. People who know how to utilize the AH will always post a smidge below the cheapest item listed, but those who drop the price by thousands confuse me. They are costing themselves AD so they can guarantee their item will sell first because no one will want to under cut them. I guess it is a "better than nothing" mentality, but I like to get the true value of something. Same thing with people who list 6 of the same item back to back. You are created a new standard price when you do that, and there is a huge chance that by the time your six items expire, there will be twice as many cheaper listings up there.

Shoe on the other foot, I think a lot of that comes from people who don't list as often or don't understand the suggested price that pops up when you choose your item is just that. A suggestion.

My suggestion to you, mikal, is if you have a high enough VIP level that you don't have AH posting fees, pull your item, hold it for a few days, and then check prices again. As long as it is only one person doing crazy undercuts, the prices generally will level back out.
  • Options
    mikal#9243 mikal Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    I was thinking something similar, i just couldn't see why a 10k undercut was necessary just for a quick sale. I posted my item with a second pair of trousers being made. So by the time i can repost my item i will have more than one that i'm trying to sell, that creates the problem you just spoke of with creating a standard value. Undercutters just annoy me more than anything because the value for everyone goes down. It's idiotic.
  • Options
    omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Undercutting the competition has been been around forever. It is the way businesses operate. The only way around it is change it into a giant retail store, where you item sits on the shelf with thousands of items at a set price determined by Perfect World.

Set the price at what you want for your item. If someone else sets a lower price, that means that person simply is willing to take less for their item.
  • Options
    > @omegarealities#7219 said:
    > Undercutting the competition has been been around forever. It is the way businesses operate. The only way around it is change it into a giant retail store, where you item sits on the shelf with thousands of items at a set price determined by Perfect World.
    >
    > Set the price at what you want for your item. If someone else sets a lower price, that means that person simply is willing to take less for their item.

A fair point but my issue isnt with the principle of undercutting persay, it's the amount i'm being undercut by. If this was just 500 diamonds lower than my asking price, they would still sell faster than i would. But when they drop the price by 10k they themselves are open to an undercut. At what point do you stop just saying "stuff happens" when the value of all items on the AH have decreased by 20k or more. By default i either knock 20,000 off my price or don't bother selling, i wont get a sale anyway.
    I'm not going to be okay with that just because it's what people do
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

There are 2 possibilities. 1) the player is AD poor, and 10k cheaper is still a LOT of AD for them... or 2) the player is AD rich, and 10k AD is nothing to them, so they don't mind losing it... 0,o

• Options
    Well that AD matters to me ): its for my CW alt and that money would help upgrade AT LEAST 2 enchantments, or maybe even convert to zen for some enchanted keys. I just wish people would think of the wider player base when they do this stuff
  • Options
    sgaddis13#3703 sgaddis13 Member Posts: 107 Arc User

I was thinking something similar, i just couldn't see why a 10k undercut was necessary just for a quick sale. I posted my item with a second pair of trousers being made. So by the time i can repost my item i will have more than one that i'm trying to sell, that creates the problem you just spoke of with creating a standard value. Undercutters just annoy me more than anything because the value for everyone goes down. It's idiotic.

Just sell them one at a time and you won't have the other issue pop up. Once the first sells, then list the second, etc, as long as it isn't frequent enough to drive down demand, you're good.

The poster who said that behavior has been around forever is right, as is the poster who said there are two possibilities. I will also say there is a third possibility, which is being too new to the finer points of the AH (we were all there at one point in our lives with our first experience with in-game AH's). Well... there is also a fourth, which is sometimes people aren't bright enough to figure out the AH, but that is mean so I won't elaborate.

Regardless of the reasons, it is frustrating, especially if that is AD you needed in your virtual pocket. It won't happen every time, though. Just practice patience, and you will be good.
  • Options
    > @tiberiusrex#6660 said:
    > there is another possibility. the item is currently way overpriced and the person who cut down by a lot knows it. if everyone is holding steady at a price and no one is buying over the course of a week it's pretty clear that it's not set at a price that the market will bear.

That is a possibility, unfortunately we can only post in line with the current market value and try to get the best return. All i know is that the gemmed elemental trousers are not cheap to make. 2 elemental aggrogate, 1 unified elements and a dragon egg....thats at least 70,000 AD worth of resources.
  • Options
    trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User

one can say you did the same thing by undercutting the guy before you as well instead of putting it up for the same price as the other guy and wait for him to sell his.
  • Options
    > @trevor#8542 said:
    > Its getting kind of annoying seeing the value of many items go through the floor because people want to undercut so badly.
    >
    > I just made a fancy pair of gemmed exquisite elemental trousers, i spent a good 70-80k worth of resources so the typical asking price of 140k seemed a very reasonable profit margin. At the time of posting mine was the cheapest option, but only by a little. After checking back i noticed that someone had undercut me at 139.5k, but then someone else had undercut the undercutter to 130k.
    >
    >
    >
    > So this leaves me with 2 options
    >
    > 1. Take my item down and repost it at an even lower price
    >
    > 2. Keep my post up and hope that after the cheaper ones sell i wont be undercut again.
    >
    >
    >
    > Do people really not realise that if you start an undercutting war we all lose?
    >
    > one can say you did the same thing by undercutting the guy before you as well instead of putting it up for the same price as the other guy and wait for him to sell his.

The original sale price was 140,500 AD, i posted for 140k flat.....hardly a devestating undercut.
  • Options
    trevor#8542 trevor Member Posts: 119 Arc User

> @trevor#8542 said:

> Its getting kind of annoying seeing the value of many items go through the floor because people want to undercut so badly.

>

> I just made a fancy pair of gemmed exquisite elemental trousers, i spent a good 70-80k worth of resources so the typical asking price of 140k seemed a very reasonable profit margin. At the time of posting mine was the cheapest option, but only by a little. After checking back i noticed that someone had undercut me at 139.5k, but then someone else had undercut the undercutter to 130k.

>

>

>

> So this leaves me with 2 options

>

> 1. Take my item down and repost it at an even lower price

>

> 2. Keep my post up and hope that after the cheaper ones sell i wont be undercut again.

>

>

>

> Do people really not realise that if you start an undercutting war we all lose?

>

> one can say you did the same thing by undercutting the guy before you as well instead of putting it up for the same price as the other guy and wait for him to sell his.

The original sale price was 140,500 AD, i posted for 140k flat.....hardly a devestating undercut.

a undercut is a undercut.. you just said it yourself they didnt want to wait so they undercut the guy before him in this case was you. but what your not understanding is you yourself didnt want to wait so you also undercut the market. sure the other guy did it by a stupid amount but it would be the same if there was 20 other people who did what you did and undercut the market by smaller amounts at a time... what im saying is if you are going to wine about it then stop doing it yourself so that you have a valid reason to complain about such things.

Thats all its been on this forum lately is people crying about this and that its a game not real life problems get over it and move on. Most of the complains are whats they do themselves.
  • Options
    > > @tiberiusrex#6660 said:
    >
    > > there is another possibility. the item is currently way overpriced and the person who cut down by a lot knows it. if everyone is holding steady at a price and no one is buying over the course of a week it's pretty clear that it's not set at a price that the market will bear.
    >
    >
    >
    > That is a possibility, unfortunately we can only post in line with the current market value and try to get the best return. All i know is that the gemmed elemental trousers are not cheap to make. 2 elemental aggrogate, 1 unified elements and a dragon egg....thats at least 70,000 AD worth of resources.
    >
    > ah see. that's probably a big part of your problem. it's really not worth it to make those anymore. there are much better pants and shirts from the new skirmish. I doubt there is any market for that at all anymore

Well i see them as still valid for levelling characters, i take your point though and thank you for not being a.....hamster....about my opinions. Some parts of the game are frustrating.
  • Options
    gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Relic iron ingot was 300k for a while. Me putting about 50 of 'em for about 20k each isn't undercutting, it's fixing. It shouldnt go for 300k. That could've happened with whatever you posted.
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited February 2018

>

> > there is another possibility. the item is currently way overpriced and the person who cut down by a lot knows it. if everyone is holding steady at a price and no one is buying over the course of a week it's pretty clear that it's not set at a price that the market will bear.

>

>

>

> That is a possibility, unfortunately we can only post in line with the current market value and try to get the best return. All i know is that the gemmed elemental trousers are not cheap to make. 2 elemental aggrogate, 1 unified elements and a dragon egg....thats at least 70,000 AD worth of resources.

>

> ah see. that's probably a big part of your problem. it's really not worth it to make those anymore. there are much better pants and shirts from the new skirmish. I doubt there is any market for that at all anymore

Well i see them as still valid for levelling characters, i take your point though and thank you for not being a.....hamster....about my opinions. Some parts of the game are frustrating.

they really aren't good for levelling. you can buy the underdark set for 18k for both pieces. no one is going to pay 140 for them anymore.
    If he is talking about the leather ones, people will pay that. Those are one of the mastercraft level 1 quest items. Almost all of the level 1 quest items (not jewelry) sell for a decent price with a slow yet steady demand. These items are what I recommend to guildies and new players looking to get into the AH. Max a profession and make the level 25 MW quest items to sell. No forgehammer needed.

Because of the way this particular niche in the market works, if you are not the lowest price when someone decides to do the task, and buy rather than make it themself, you will lose the sale. The masterworks quest items follow a slightly different pattern from most items on the AH.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

> there is another possibility. the item is currently way overpriced and the person who cut down by a lot knows it. if everyone is holding steady at a price and no one is buying over the course of a week it's pretty clear that it's not set at a price that the market will bear.

That is a possibility, unfortunately we can only post in line with the current market value and try to get the best return. All i know is that the gemmed elemental trousers are not cheap to make. 2 elemental aggrogate, 1 unified elements and a dragon egg....thats at least 70,000 AD worth of resources.

You cannot use the cost that applies to you to determine the value. Many players are crafting the E aggrogates and U elements and farm dragon eggs from Tiamat and the event (I forget the name, but maybe Tymorra) and have a cost close to Zero to construct the pants. You are competing against them. I have alts whose only purpose is to craft 6x EE (2 days +)and 3xEA (4 Days) almost all the time with 4 Elemental resources replenished from leadership coffers and other supplies purchased with Guildmarks.
  • Options

zephyriah said:

>

>

>

>

>

they really aren't good for levelling. you can buy the underdark set for 18k for both pieces. no one is going to pay 140 for them anymore.
    If he is talking about the leather ones, people will pay that. Those are one of the mastercraft level 1 quest items. Almost all of the level 1 quest items (not jewelry) sell for a decent price with a slow yet steady demand. These items are what I recommend to guildies and new players looking to get into the AH. Max a profession and make the level 25 MW quest items to sell. No forgehammer needed.

Because of the way this particular niche in the market works, if you are not the lowest price when someone decides to do the task, and buy rather than make it themself, you will lose the sale. The masterworks quest items follow a slightly different pattern from most items on the AH.

"gemmed exquisite elemental trousers" that's just the normal level 25 flavor isn't it?
    Ah, he used "Exquisite" in the OP, but dropped it in post further down in post 9 or 10 and that's what I remembered. Regular use elemental Aggregate while exquisite use unified elements (& Dragon Egg), neither use both so I wasn't sure which ones he meant. Either way both are rare level 25 tasks, but the non-exquisite have a consistent market for new Masterworks attempts. Gemmed Exquisite are listed at around 130K (with small market due to Drowcraft) and the non-exquisite (needed for MW level 1 task) and cheaper to make are 324K for the lowest listing for each. That's why I suggest players make those if they are new into crafting and AH listing. But, they will need to undercut to sell.
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I have noticed lately that the demand for AD is very high, I think because of the marks and wards needed for upgrades since 12B and moving things fast at almost no profit is the trend right now...It's a buyer's market
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options
    > @sundance777 said:
    > I have noticed lately that the demand for AD is very high, I think because of the marks and wards needed for upgrades since 12B and moving things fast at almost no profit is the trend right now...It's a buyer's market

Its a real problem at the moment, having to try and find a middle ground between profit and actually getting a sale. I can just sell the unified elements and aggrogate rather than using them for crafting i guess.
  • Options
    sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I am right there with you, I have most of my AD making stuff on hold right now, between the undercutting and the new gear coming soon, it was not worth the effort for very small profits.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Options

I am right there with you, I have most of my AD making stuff on hold right now, between the undercutting and the new gear coming soon, it was not worth the effort for very small profits.

Same, Formerly (until Winterfest) I focused on selling gold, silver and bronze coins. Then undercutting crashed the profit on the silver and bronze and reduced gold(still profitable). The undercutting reduced bronze about 40% and silver over 60% from pre-winterfest averages. Gold only took about a 25-30% hit and fewer can craft it, so it can still be ok. For a short time, I bought out the most severe undercutters and relisted at higher, but eventually there were too many to keep it up.
  • Options
    johnnyreklaw#1518 johnnyreklaw Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Honestly, what I sell and how I got it depends on how I undercut.

The one thing no one thinks about are that the above thoughts are what the under-cutters want you to have. Maybe they're trying to corner a market. If you had 4 alts making unified elements, but someone dropped the price to something you can't afford, would you keep checking a month later or move on to another market? Maybe they pulled a 200k AD mount from an epic dungeon, but don't want to babysit the item on the AH. Since they got it for free, they'll take a 30k profit loss as they didn't pay for it in the first place.

I have, numerous times, posted items as an under-cutter. I'm not righting the market, I just have a single item and I don't want to babysit it on the market. I post low enough that people are timid enough to avoid undercutting me so I can get it sold. The longer I sit as lowest price, the greater chance I have to sell said items. I don't feel like I'm losing anything as I didn't pay for it.

Having been on the other side, that is highly annoying. I have posted items and been undercut by a drastically lower price. I either eat the profit and underbid them or let them have it. I'll sometimes drop items to my storage toon and he'll repost a month or so later when the undercutter had definitely gone away. It sucks, but I do it too. Again, its worth the loss to not babysit something I got for free.

If they're undercutting an item you crafted or made, they've found some way to get the materials cheaper. Otherwise, they wouldn't be undercutting the way they are.
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    Prices are based on supply and demand.
    If a market sector has many vendors then they fight for sales. In a sector where quality, style, and any other factors apart from price are a variable then marketing can be used to influence sales. Until someone invents the Gucci Coalescent Ward, or the Unified Elements by Versace, the only variable in the NWO market IS price.
    As supply outweighs demand, prices drop.
    When stocks run low on popular products the price goes up.
    Vendors agreeing to fix prices will never happen. Or, rather, it will never work because some entrepreneurial individual will see an opportunity and happily undercut the cartel.
    If someone is happy to sell for a certain price, and someone else is happy to pay that price, then THAT is a fair deal.

• Options
    atamasamaatamasama Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    A couple weeks ago I was trying to sell some items on the AH and someone was selling the same item I was but at a ridiculously low price.

But what others here are seeing as a problem I saw as an opportunity. Because I bought that item, then immediately resold it at a higher but fair price. Within a day it sold and I made a nice profit.

Remember that if someone is selling at a crazy low price they are either desperate or ignorant, but either way you can exploit their disadvantage for your own gain. :)
    Lakini, Halfling Guardian Fighter
    Tomas, Human Devoted Cleric
    Dragon Shard
  • Options
    neverburnaclown#3112 neverburnaclown Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    You also can make gentlemen’s agreements with other sellers. I have done that before selling resources. I kept seeing the same few names undercutting by minimal ad amounts. So we worked out an agreement where we didn’t undercut and just matched buyout prices. It seemed understood that they would undercut me if i undercut them, and so it worked until we were finished selling stuff.

But that usually only works some of the time.

Then again, there have been a few times where the undercutting war was so severe and i was bored enough to when it got low enough, just to buy out the stuff at distressed prices and resell it where it started. That route requires more of a bankroll.