test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lost City of Omu Preview Patch Notes: NW.95.20180207a.1

Comments

• baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    pterias said:

The combined effects of Storm Spell critting but with a 30% damage nerf is that SS CWs above ~12k are getting buffed, with the buff amount being amplified the closer to BIS you are, while below ~12k SS CWs are getting nerfed with the severity of the nerf being amplified the lower your IL is. BIS SS CWs are gonna love this mod, while 8k SS CWs are gonna get decimated.

Please reconsider this. Don't nerf Storm Spell damage. If you want SS and MoF closer together, just buff Smolder more, it could use it.

Ummm...I don't think so. I'm a 15K CW with 82% crit chance. Here's my Solo EtoS partial run and the values I got.

SS - DPS : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eGvPQVnroZ3MqyIxXhMDqSCOcs4nYljF
    MOF - DPS : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AI_Q4U8aV7oF1p6MwKk9oPx4ZlR2qO5v

As you can see, MOF will be the dps of choice for CW next mod if these changes persist.
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
  • vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    @asterdahl
    @balanced#2849
    @terramak
    @ctatumdev#6113
    @nitocris83

A lot of the changes were good in this patch, except for this one! Glaringly so :(
    terramak said:

Combat and Powers
    Classes and Balance

• Control Wizard
      • Storm Spell: Damage from this effect has been reduced by about 30%.
      • Smolder and Rimefire Smolder damage has been increased by about 50%.
    Seriously,

Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • demolitioninc#2453 demolitioninc Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    Why are all CW's crying about a nerf?
    Current live server - Storm Spell can't crit
    Mod 13 live server - Storm Spell can crit

Sounds like a buff to me.
    And my MoF is also happy.
    1. PzkwVI_Kingtiger - GWF
    2. PMS-Extreme - Moffus Debuffos
    3. Tiamat's Toyboy - OP
    4. Rent-A-DC - 1 GMOP per 30 minutes
    5. Officer at Civil Anarchy, Member of Fabled Alliance
  • cheesey#4444 cheesey Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    itbls said:

I'm actually not looking forward to cw changes for mod 13 now, CW SS hardly procs for single target now.. on live server its proccing nicely on bosses and on preview its barley proccing and now this dmg reduction smh, it should have been a 30% buff not a nerf. I'm probably gonna keep playing my support classes again since no ones gonna want to invite cw again for main dps. MoF cw's are the only ones that are getting invites and its probably gonna continue like this on mod 13 if they don't give us any dmg boosts for CW.

What did they do to the procing of storm spell? Increase in the cooldown?
  • demolitioninc#2453 demolitioninc Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I also like the fact that old stronghold weapon set bonus is back. I was always wondering with the new bonus, how to keep up the 10% buff with dailies every 10 sec in a prolonged boss fight (Mobs die anyhow).
    When for whatever reason you don't do a daily in 10 sec - its lost. It may sound good in theory, but I think in reality, where you sometimes want to save a daily for a special occurence or buff to happen - you can easily lose the buff - 10 sec aint long.
    1. PzkwVI_Kingtiger - GWF
    2. PMS-Extreme - Moffus Debuffos
    3. Tiamat's Toyboy - OP
    4. Rent-A-DC - 1 GMOP per 30 minutes
    5. Officer at Civil Anarchy, Member of Fabled Alliance
  • ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    18K GFW Т3-T2-T1, my 18К Wizard can't keep up trash, with GFW + lightning and Master strike weapon with Steel
    blitz in trash multiproc? wizard HAMSTER and... in ToNG feytached wizard HAMSTER...
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

itbls said:

I'm actually not looking forward to cw changes for mod 13 now, CW SS hardly procs for single target now.. on live server its proccing nicely on bosses and on preview its barley proccing and now this dmg reduction smh, it should have been a 30% buff not a nerf. I'm probably gonna keep playing my support classes again since no ones gonna want to invite cw again for main dps. MoF cw's are the only ones that are getting invites and its probably gonna continue like this on mod 13 if they don't give us any dmg boosts for CW.

@cheesey#4444 they fixed the offhand bonus, which was bugged and caused Storm Spell to proc a LOT more than it does now. Rather than just give Storm Spell a 5% chance to proc off itself, it instead gave Storm Spell a 5% chance to proc off everything, which is a huge damage increase for storm spell as it let it proc off of procs like aoc, as well as itself, non crits, etc.
  • kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited February 2018

nerf wizard LOL lightning? LOL SS? LOL GFW is laugh СW?
    GFW do you more... AOE GFW is BiS...

Gwf?
    Well. It seems CWs stuff should be nerfed Asap after being allowed to crit.
    But when you made Gwfs slam crit it shouldn't be nerfed...

• ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    kozi001 said:

nerf wizard LOL lightning? LOL SS? LOL GFW is laugh СW?
    GFW do you more... AOE GFW is BiS...

Gwf?
    Well. It seems CWs stuff should be nerfed Asap after being allowed to crit.
    But when you made Gwfs slam crit it shouldn't be nerfed...

tried GFW CW Lol damage in 1 year ago SW int is no ? i do
  • cheesey#4444 cheesey Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2018

@cheesey#4444 they fixed the offhand bonus, which was bugged and caused Storm Spell to proc a LOT more than it does now. Rather than just give Storm Spell a 5% chance to proc off itself, it instead gave Storm Spell a 5% chance to proc off everything, which is a huge damage increase for storm spell as it let it proc off of procs like aoc, as well as itself, non crits, etc.

That sucks.

Assuming you have 100% crit chance, thats a 1.5% chance for storm spell to proc the additional strike (30% for normal storm spell and 5% for the offhand bonus).

The chance of procing the additional strike would need to be upped to 20% to be competitive.

Also, does it actually work on preview at the moment? On live there's a SS hit that does 0 damage followed by a critting storm spell strike. But on preview this doesn't happen.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

That sucks.

Assuming you have 100% crit chance, thats a 1.5% chance for storm spell to proc the additional strike (30% for normal storm spell and 5% for the offhand bonus).

The chance of procing the additional strike would need to be upped to 20% to be competitive.

Also, does it actually work on preview at the moment? On live there's a SS hit that does 0 damage followed by a critting storm spell strike. But on preview this doesn't happen.
    @cheesey#4444 it does work, they removed the 0 damage log though.
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    macjae said:

> @chimerax said:

> Welcome to SW land CWs, at least they are buffing SWs a tad in Mod 13.

Even though CW is getting nerfed some, wouldn't comparing it to SW be exaggerated at least to some extent? I mean, at least as a striker, it should still hold true that CW > SW (like any other striker class lol). Scourge Warlocks attack in slow motion, their DoT ticks in slow motion for modest amounts of damage and it's far too long, let's not forget that class has almost non existant (let alone proper) dps Class Features, they're obscenely underpowered.

And unfortunately, the changes they've been making so far don't seem likely to fix that. Temptation might become useful (but not great) as a support, but SW isn't looking that much better in general. It's applying lipstick to a pig.
    Indeed, as long as the pecific issues aren't addressed, SW stands no chance (with legit dps) vs players of other striker classes that know what they are doing.

Forced to run as templock... I'm not looking forward to that...

Like you said, it won't even be that great of a support class, other classes can still comfortably outperform it in that regard plus LSS HR buffs by a similar amount (in mod 13) but has much better personal dps.
    hastati96 said:

Why are all CW's crying about a nerf?
    Current live server - Storm Spell can't crit
    Mod 13 live server - Storm Spell can crit

Sounds like a buff to me.
    And my MoF is also happy.

With CW being an average damage dealer in M12 we will end up as one of the weaker, probably the weakest ranked damage dealer in the M13 meta.
    SW says hi.
    Post edited by jaime4312#3760 on
  • exgardianexgardian Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    At least, Storm Spell can crit again, so it's a 50/50 scenario.
    2fv72Fw.png
  • themule#2469 themule Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    pterias said:

The combined effects of Storm Spell critting but with a 30% damage nerf is that SS CWs above ~12k are getting buffed, with the buff amount being amplified the closer to BIS you are, while below ~12k SS CWs are getting nerfed with the severity of the nerf being amplified the lower your IL is. BIS SS CWs are gonna love this mod, while 8k SS CWs are gonna get decimated.

Please reconsider this. Don't nerf Storm Spell damage. If you want SS and MoF closer together, just buff Smolder more, it could use it.

I have a CW alt at about 8k. He has 40% crit. chance and 80% crit. sev (0 CA bonus). That seems to be the turning point, damage output of Spell Storm should be almost identical with these changes. Anything above that level, or even another char with similar equipment but some campaign boons (my CW has zero ATM), should see an improvement in mod 13.

At ~6k you may see a bit of a nerf, but what these changes really mean is either "maybe don't slot SS if you have less than ~40% crit" and "prioritize crit if you want to make the most out of SS", the second part being true even now, BTW. And if you're 6k and below 40% crit SS isn't going to be one of your best source of damage anyway.

CWs at ~12k and above should see a significant buff (assuming they have good crit. %).
  • gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

pterias said:

I have a CW alt at about 8k. He has 40% crit. chance and 80% crit. sev (0 CA bonus). That seems to be the turning point, damage output of Spell Storm should be almost identical with these changes. Anything above that level, or even another char with similar equipment but some campaign boons (my CW has zero ATM), should see an improvement in mod 13.

At ~6k you may see a bit of a nerf, but what these changes really mean is either "maybe don't slot SS if you have less than ~40% crit" and "prioritize crit if you want to make the most out of SS", the second part being true even now, BTW. And if you're 6k and below 40% crit SS isn't going to be one of your best source of damage anyway.

CWs at ~12k and above should see a significant buff (assuming they have good crit. %).
    You are not considering the changes to lightning.. We loose major damage as CWs on those changes. It would have been fine if they didnt nerf Spell Storm, but now we take a huge hit and the devs needs to revert the changes or buff something else. Maybe Chilling presence or base damage of multiple encounters.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• itblsitbls Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User

itbls said:

The offhand bonus was change(fixed) to 5% and its barely even proccing now on single target.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User
    Normally I lurk these threads, but I want to add my voice to those asking why the change to Spell Storm. I understand the constant dance of the nerf you must do to try and keep some balance, but this one just feels out of place. I do not play a CW as my "main" but I still do not see the need for such a heavy hand on this one.

Please help us understand this move. Please offer some sort of explanation for the heavy hand.
  • From a PVP CW perspective I think you really need to look at the bigger picture of what you want the CW class to be before making any changes. Please cancel all changes for MOD 13 and leave us be until you have a hard think about where these changes will lead our class. Focus on the SW (they deserve the attention) and perhaps dedicate an update to individual classes after we see how these changes work for the SW.

I recently reached the number 1 spot on page 1 of the leader board on the PS4, only because I disregarded what my class should do and did the complete opposite. I did this because what my class should be able to do is not effective. I die less than most tanks yet kill less than them.

I use no control powers (well sometimes one because i need a damage encounter (yes the damage is more important than the control, go figure) because they are worthless. I don't attempt to stack damage because the investment out ways the gain.

Do you really want to continue down this path?

Should a Control Wizard be stacking Deflection, Hit Points, DR, AC, a damage reduction Artifact Set (Valhalla) and a DR increasing Armor Enchantment (Negation), firing tickling magic from our finger tips?

Is your idea of my battlefield controlling abilities to be a teleporting stone wall? Are my damage capabilities only to be useful for damaging a heavy armor wearing, sword swinging classes ego when they try way harder then they should to chop me down?

Surely this is not what you intended and not what the player base wants. Suck it up! Accept the work that's involved, communicate your intended direction, give your players a reasonable time frame for changes and let's change direction together.

Whilst there are some bad apples you DEV's have a pretty remarkable player base that provides solid feedback and are obviously very loyal to the class they invested their time/money in.

Show some damn respect for their continued support and stop pulling the rug.
This discussion has been closed.