test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official: M13 Scourge Warlock Changes

Comments

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    @dragonsbite power measures action point gain, it would be better to give procs a tab of their own. Also, currently the act plugin does not register the stronghold overloads (and some other procs which I can't think of off the top of my head) and so if you are updating the plugin, it would be great if you made the plugin include them. There are quite a few things id change with it, but I am not sure how to update it myself so I have never got around to it.
  • slyef#6396 slyef Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    @balanced#2849
    Thank you for your answer

Is there a reason why Gates of Hell has such a small target cap ?

It's a daily, the casting time is long, the range and area seems good, but when using it on big packs, the result is underwhelming even though the animation would make me think otherwise.

Oh wait I should probably stop asking for buffs
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2018

@dragonsbite power measures action point gain, it would be better to give procs a tab of their own. Also, currently the act plugin does not register the stronghold overloads (and some other procs which I can't think of off the top of my head) and so if you are updating the plugin, it would be great if you made the plugin include them. There are quite a few things id change with it, but I am not sure how to update it myself so I have never got around to it.

I did have a separate category for procs. Sadly I did more things and broke it. Can't recall how I did it exactly. I tried lots of things. Sadly my programming is from the 80's. So i'm terrible at this. I just try to use common sense when fixing code. The easy/lazy change I did was only 1 line of code.

@Balanced I appreciate the response. You may want to look at "Daughter's Promises" as well. Here's me solo at the stronghold doing 2 heroic 2 sword encounters.

This time Critical Promise Beats Daughter's Promises as the mobs stay alive quite a bit longer. Making it even more useless.
    Post edited by dragonsbite on
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    @balanced#2849

When there's enough time hopefully you'll address the specific class issues that were already discussed and you commented on (very slow casting speed, Killing Flames huge disparity of min - max values and enemy hp-based max damage penalty that no other class has, almost non existant and horribly underpowered and/or Guardian Fighter tank built-for Class Features and very slow, long and weak DoT from powers and procs) so the class can be on par with other strikers.

As of now though, I think a few, extra and (I presume) simple to do fixes would help with the following:

Damantionlock:

Your idea of the cooldown to spawn a new soul puppet faster is decent but one of that spec's main problems remain unaddressed: the soulpuppet just doesn't do enough damage. Please consider increasing its base damage and/or benefit from buffs/debuffs.

Hellbringer vs Soulbinder:

HB furylocks already are more likely to get an inv to an endgame group than their SB counterparts thanks to PoP and templock changes will make it so Hellbringer will be pretty much the mandatory path for those who hope to get an inv to T9G/Craddle of the Death God outside of premades with friends.

As a paragon path were the fury spec has virtually no party utility (other than Infernal Wrath lol) and even though it may still outperform Hellbringer in longer fights vs 1 target, if you think about it, Soulbinder needs some tweaks that can help (for balance's sake and build variety) significantly widen the gap in single target dps vs Hellbringer on its favor. Again, yes, SB may still beat HB at single target dps but the difference between the two isn't that big that actually it is often better to stick to HB (obviously this also depends on who you're running with) as the party utility from PoP, by virtue of increasing everyone's damage, often beats the damage from Soulscorch therefore bosses can be killed faster.

Suggestions:

- Increase the base damage of Soulscorch significantly, like, by a large percentage.

Regardless of what our preferred spec is, we already are expected to be Hellbringer simply because it is usually better for the team, mod 13 will make it so we will be pretty much forced to run as templocks (something many of us aren't happy about let alone looking forward to)

Soulbinder furylock has less party utlity than any other striker class as far as I know, so, it only makes sense that the spec makes up for it by dealing massive damage vs 1 target (it does fine at the moment but considering its almost total absence of party utility, it should hit much much harder)

As it merely is about increasing base damage, it should be a rather fast and easy to do change that would make that spec so much better than Hellbringer vs 1 target that it could get to the point where groups looking for striker(s) wouldn't mind much if at all if the SW isn't Hellbringer because as long as the boss gets nuked/melted, who cares how it was done? That's how it should be, both specs helping the team completing the dungeon in virtually the same time, just by different means, HB with some party utility + modest single target dps and SB fury with very high single target dps at the cost of almost zero party utility.

I hope you consider that because as it stands, there is less and less of a reason to run as Soulbinder, we're witnessing the GWFsation of our class aka 1 build outperforming drastically the others. Fury in general needs more love, now Temptation is what we will be expected to run otherwise good luck getting an invitation to endgame groups. Many, perhaps most of us don't want to be templocks, we want to run as strikers which is the reason why we prefer the fury spec.
    Post edited by jaime4312#3760 on
  • aasuraasur Member Posts: 66 Arc User

Hey everyone,

I've been reading through the posts and have been getting some bug reports. I really do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions that everyone has been posting. I've fixed some minor things, and made some tweaks based on the feedback I've seen, which you can see below.

Lesser Curse: Fixed an issue where there was a short delay before Lesser Curse was applied. This was causing it to only deal 3 ticks of damage, instead of 4.

Critical Promise: Damage increased to 8/16/24/32/40% (up from 4/8/12/16/20%)
    Critical Promise: Fixed an issue where the buff granted by this power would fall off when combat ended

Soul Desecration: Now causes your next attack to summon a Soul Puppet every 10 seconds (down from 15 seconds).

Eldritch Momentum: No longer grants Stamina to party members
    Eldritch Momentum: Now grants 1/2/3/4/5% stamina when attacked (Note: This is the same as pre-M13 functionality)
    Eldritch Momentum: Now grants combat advantage for 4/6/8/10/12 seconds (up from 4/5/6/7/8 seconds)

I'm also going to be looking into Tyrannical Curse, I have confirmed that it does reduced damage if you apply a damage reduction debuff to an enemy. The fix might be a bit risky, so I'm not sure if it will be in soon, but I'm gonna see what I can do.

As for Damnation, there are a lot of changes to this path that I would like to make but, they aren't in scope for these changes. Reducing the "cooldown" of Soul Desecration should help get Soul Investiture stacked and reduce the down-time of the Soul Puppet - It's not a huge change but I think it will help.

Can we please find a way for templocks to queue as healers?

@aasur I see why you'd request that but no thanks, it wouldn't be good for the team if a SW takes the DC/OP spot, it would cause a serious drop in team perfomance and, if say running random stuff like FBI and MSP/hero's accord, good luck clearing those in a reasonable amount of time without a DC and having 3 strikers in your team.
  • darkan#3756 darkan Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    @balanced i test base damage of soulpuppet and have something have wrong others powers increase proportional damage with your power base but soulpuppet do not. soulpuppet dealt arount 28k damage with 30k power base and with 50k power dealt around 32k damage while others any powers of sw for example fiery bolt increase damage 10 to 12k more damage with same diference power how it is posible ????
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Note these updates are not in the current patch.

Lesser Curse: Fixed an issue where there was a short delay before Lesser Curse was applied. This was causing it to only deal 3 ticks of damage, instead of 4.

Yay, hopefully this is all good.

Critical Promise: Damage increased to 8/16/24/32/40% (up from 4/8/12/16/20%)
    Critical Promise: Fixed an issue where the buff granted by this power would fall off when combat ended

I look forward to seeing the results of testing by others on this.

Soul Desecration: Now causes your next attack to summon a Soul Puppet every 10 seconds (down from 15 seconds).

Thanks for this change, in the scope of the changes this seems good. Longer term this still needs to ensure the Soul Puppet is never unsummoned, even if it becomes unable to attack for 10s while “recovering”.

Eldritch Momentum: No longer grants Stamina to party members
    Eldritch Momentum: Now grants 1/2/3/4/5% stamina when attacked (Note: This is the same as pre-M13 functionality)
    Eldritch Momentum: Now grants combat advantage for 4/6/8/10/12 seconds (up from 4/5/6/7/8 seconds)

Thank you for changing this, I’ll test it once up, but the more I have looked at this the more I see that as being too short a duration, but I will test.

I'm also going to be looking into Tyrannical Curse, I have confirmed that it does reduced damage if you apply a damage reduction debuff to an enemy. The fix might be a bit risky, so I'm not sure if it will be in soon, but I'm gonna see what I can do.

Thank you.

As for Damnation, there are a lot of changes to this path that I would like to make but, they aren't in scope for these changes. Reducing the "cooldown" of Soul Desecration should help get Soul Investiture stacked and reduce the down-time of the Soul Puppet - It's not a huge change but I think it will help.

Are these sorts of changes not in the scope of the adjustments being made to the other trees?

Spirit Fire: Change to 100% of the weapon and proc every 0.5s.

Burning Puppets: Change to 100% chance and the damage bonus to Cursed targets and 2x its current effect.

Wrathful Souls: Significantly increase its bonus due to the slow attack rate of the puppet.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • random1selfrandom1self Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Will the feat tool tips for daughters promise, critical promise and killing curse reflect that they are being buffed by power and show their actual values similar to weapon enchants?
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    @balanced#2849
    did you recognize that bug from TC link, caued by using weapon enchants like Fey or Fire (and maybe others), dealing no damage on linked targets by using AT Wills ?
    Somehow weared but I can´t see any damage proc from At wills onto linked targets.
  • merhunesdagon1merhunesdagon1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited February 2018

@balanced#2849
    did you recognize that bug from TC link, caued by using weapon enchants like Fey or Fire (and maybe others), dealing no damage on linked targets by using AT Wills ?
    Somehow weared but I can´t see any damage proc from At wills onto linked targets.

I think if you scroll back a page or two @balanced#2849 explained the weird interaction with TC and debuff enchantments and dmg debuff powers. Also stated he was gonna make a risky fix to TC.
    @balanced#2849 how much are allow out changes for mod 13 for damnation tree at least can considerer fixe damage base of soul puppet and able increase damage dealt proportional at your power base and buffs/debuffs like a others powers of sw and spirit fire dealt 100% weapon damage ?

edited February 2018

@balanced#2849

I think if you scroll back a page or two @balanced#2849 explained the weird interaction with TC and debuff enchantments and dmg debuff powers. Also stated he was gonna make a risky fix to TC.
    "I'm also going to be looking into Tyrannical Curse, I have confirmed that it does reduced damage if you apply a damage reduction debuff to an enemy. The fix might be a bit risky, so I'm not sure if it will be in soon, but I'm gonna see what I can do."

That´s what he wrote, I think this is about teh fact, that´s Feytouched and maybe other buffs simply don´t transfer the buff towards the link. At least that´s what I calculated up to the 0.xy by using Feytouched on that dummy and the link was exactly 18% lower in damage than the initial hit. Might not work for debuffs too, not sure.
    My concern is about the fact that any At Will does no damagelinked proc at all if you use Weapon enchants.
    At least that´s what it looks like on preview. Myabe he could also fix this issue, otherwise there is a problem using TC in mod 13.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    Dark Revelry is not increasing power by 20%. Plz fix thnx

Also please make Critical Promise damage actually crit. It might make it more than trivial and a joke.

Thank you in advance!
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User

Dark Revelry is not increasing power by 20%.

It's unbuffed power but yes it works.

For a list of what counts as unbuffed power check : https://arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1227832/reference-power-sharing/p1
    edited February 2018
    Here are the bugs I've noticed. I can't tell if they are new or old.

Gatekeeper's Empowerment : It has not effect on the DoT of Hellish Rebuke Why would it only buff the DoT to begin with? Ever heard of No Pity No Mercy?

Pillar of Power : Only triggers Critical Promise on first hit

Pillar of Power : Triggers the class feature All-consuming Curse (lesser curse on crits) even if it isn't slotted

Warlock's Bargain : Only triggers Killing Curse on first hit

Hadar's Grasp : Only triggers both Critical Promise and Killing Curse on first hit

Dreadtheft : Triggers Killing Curse three times per hit with two of them dealing 0 damage (just a weird bug with no effect)
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    @balanced#2849 Perhaps you can go and talk to the people that made the last boss in T9G . Being it uses a burn dot power to great effect. Then you can come back to this dot based class and make the needed adjustments to bring us more in line with the other striker class. That would be nice.
    edited February 2018
    > @hawkeyel said:
    > @balanced#2849 Perhaps you can go and talk to the people that made the last boss in T9G . Being it uses a burn dot power to great effect. Then you can come back to this dot based class and make the needed adjustments to bring us more in line with the other striker class. That would be nice.

Yes please , i want to be Ras Ni
    Maybe something like Hidden Daggers on top, that buffs for more than all of my other buffs together and deals more aoe than all spells a warlock can dish out :)
    Well the changes are up.

A little quick testing seems positive for my Templock build.

However it is possible a Pillar of Power is not contributing to AP gain when cast, which is a problem if correct.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    As far as I can determine, there is no AP gain for casting PoP, however it does give good AP gain from its effect over time. That is, as long as you are in combat and enemies are in the AoE you get AP, but otherwise its sketchy.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User

+1

joing party with DC-healer for Templock its stupid.
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

+1

You seem to misunderstand the role of a devoted cleric in a group. Their main goal is to bring buffs and debuffs (which is best served by the righteous path). Healing is just an added benefit.

You aren't the only one with that misconception, I still see plenty of people asking for a "healer" for their group on protector's enclave /lfg chat.

Lifesteal and/or temporary HP gives other classes all the healing they need as long as there is something to attack.

The very problem with temptation warlocks' healing is that it also requires something to attack, making it mostly irrelevant.

On the other hand, joining a devoted cleric and a temptation warlock makes perfect sense since their buffs and debuffs add up just fine.

However, there isn't a "support" tag for public queues but only "damage dealer", "tank" and "healer". So if we consider that "healer" is the tag for support classes then warlocks should indeed be able to queue as "healer" since their temptation path clearly aims at being support, even if far less effective than a righteous DC.
  • werdandi#8366 werdandi Member Posts: 335 Arc User

+1

In that case, a MOF should queue as healer as well, since a properly built MOF can heal a lot the party....
    A SW is primarly a dps, so a templock is a dps/support hybrid, not a healer.
    If a templock does zero damage and just focus on heals, he is useless.
    artifleur said:

+1

You seem to misunderstand the role of a devoted cleric in a group. Their main goal is to bring buffs and debuffs (which is best served by the righteous path). Healing is just an added benefit.

You aren't the only one with that misconception, I still see plenty of people asking for a "healer" for their group on protector's enclave /lfg chat.

Lifesteal and/or temporary HP gives other classes all the healing they need as long as there is something to attack.

The very problem with temptation warlocks' healing is that it also requires something to attack, making it mostly irrelevant.

On the other hand, joining a devoted cleric and a temptation warlock makes perfect sense since their buffs and debuffs add up just fine.

However, there isn't a "support" tag for public queues but only "damage dealer", "tank" and "healer". So if we consider that "healer" is the tag for support classes then warlocks should indeed be able to queue as "healer" since their temptation path clearly aims at being support, even if far less effective than a righteous DC.
    well i disagree if devs not think performed damnation tree and only have one path for dps that also dealt less damage than others dps's make a sw one support class i considerer one class orient dps if can do dps easily and have more one path for that for example the HR. I have HR combat and its very competitive and can choice wichever path for dps and will good work like a roll dps (exept archery its more complicate use for me but i see archery destroy). So sw=support class but not are tag like support in publics quee i understood the logic sw=support class so tag in quee like support class but not should be better give back to us viables builds for dps can competive
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    I just don't understand it. This is frustrating trying to test this stuff. I used Tyrannical Curse 4 times vs 1 dummy and the combat log in game and the one that was created do NOT show Tyrannical curse. If this is just a Dummy problem, can we PLEASE FIX THE DUMMIES. If it isn't a dummy problem then this is a serious issue as quite a few abilities are working inconsistently. The next engagement I used Tyrannical Curse once and it does the 1 hit it should do as per the tooltip "Places a Tyrannical Curse on your target, dealing damage, Cursing them" etc. Tested it again and used it twice and it hit twice. Tested again and 1 out of 2 hit. This is a total of 4 hits in 9 casts. :#
    Under the logic being used in this thread my OP Tank should be able to queue as a healer, it provides buffs for the party and heals (routinely tops healing).

Templock is a support class, it’s a dps based support spec, like Renegade CW. It’s not a primary healer. The key sign is if there is nothing to kill you cannot heal. The spec trades personal dps for party buffs and heals. This doesn’t mean I think there isn’t still room for improvement on Templock, it just means it doesn’t belong in the healer spot in queues.

That said I’ll investigate TC later today, keeping in mind Balanced said the changes he was making could be a problem.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited February 2018

I just don't understand it. This is frustrating trying to test this stuff. I used Tyrannical Curse 4 times vs 1 dummy and the combat log in game and the one that was created do NOT show Tyrannical curse. If this is just a Dummy problem, can we PLEASE FIX THE DUMMIES. If it isn't a dummy problem then this is a serious issue as quite a few abilities are working inconsistently. The next engagement I used Tyrannical Curse once and it does the 1 hit it should do as per the tooltip "Places a Tyrannical Curse on your target, dealing damage, Cursing them" etc. Tested it again and used it twice and it hit twice. Tested again and 1 out of 2 hit. This is a total of 4 hits in 9 casts. :#

Hmm this doesn't match my observations:

[12:21] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Tyrannical Curse deals 9544 (7357) Fire Damage to Target Dummy.<- Initial Cast

[12:21] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Feytouched Weapon deals 878 (677) Psychic Damage to Target Dummy.<- Only proc of Feytouched

[12:21] [Combat (Self)] Your Tyrannical Curse deals 276 (263) Necrotic Damage to Target Dummy.
    [12:21] [Combat (Self)] Your Tyrannical Curse deals 276 (263) Necrotic Damage to Target Dummy.

[12:21] [Combat (Self)] Your Tyrannical Curse deals 8173 (7784) Necrotic Damage to Target Dummy.
    [12:21] [Combat (Self)] Your Tyrannical Curse deals 8173 (7784) Necrotic Damage to Target Dummy.

This seems a bit odd though, each "spark" creates 2 points of damage. Repeated castings show this same pattern.

Additional damage from Magistrate's Consideration seems to keep TC proccing as long as Magistrate's is going. Each time the "sparks" are proced from TC you get the 2 sets of damage.

If Magistrate's doesn't proc, you get that 1 set of damage as per the example above (which aside from the little damage + large damage procs is the expected behaviour given the tooltip).

(Tested on SH and Port N. dummies, behaviour is the same on both.)
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • hawkeyelhawkeyel Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    Just an idea for debate . Being we are a DOT based class perhaps they might think about making a change to the way that our dot based powers work .Rather than having some dot powers all back end loaded they switched them to front end loaded . This way we can get in some damage before the fight is over. So yes they would deal more damage at the start and taper off the longer they go. Being that burst powers are used so much on others classes this would allow for the dots based to see some real improvement overall. Feel free to give some examples of powers if you like to show why you either like or hate this idea. And I want even get started on how badly we need are casting times improved. It would just make for another excuse as to why they havent fix that. And after all this time that has become a very old excuse...
    edited February 2018
    @hawkeyel

I think it's better if our DoT damage (from both powers and ticks) gets changed to have far less ticks than it does now (each one would be much more powerful) and to also tick much faster, throw in a base damage increase and our class suddenly would perform noticeably better.

@balanced#2849
    Post edited by jaime4312#3760 on
  • duckntrollduckntroll Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    About Templock (and MOF) queuing as "Healer/Support"?
    => When party know how to behave, why not? Especially if there are incentives for everyone!
    => But with ignorant fools that just wanna spam faster, rofl!

I've done some global Templock build testing: not deep and detailed but roles (solo & group) consistency (not for BiS but for low/middle-end players).

CURSE/CRITICAL ORIENTED BUILD
    • [Encounter] Pillar of Power == Good with cirticals! Nice job!
    • [Encounter] Curse Bite == Decent in big packs (bit slow to cast).
      • Like it is, it will not be chosen, especially as it need curses.
      • => So more damage is needed!
      • (I've no specific idea how: Direct increase? Increase as target loose health? Add a DoT part? Buff?)
    • [Passive] All-Consuming Curse: See [Lesser Curse]
    • [Mechanic] Lesser Curse == Looking globally at all points spent in it, it lack damages. Possible ways:
      • => [All-Consuming Curse][Rank 4] Improve from 50% to 100%.
      • => [Scornful Curse] Improve from 10/20/30% to 20/40/60%.
      • => (If not, make Lesser Curses stack or/and crits.)
    • [Passive] Deadly Curse == Worthless.
      • => Remove this useless damage, then make it improve [Warlock Curse] by 2/3/4/5% or more.
      • And it will be great if shared by the Temptation capstone too.

HEAL/PROTECTION ORIENTED BUILD
    • [Encounter] Warlock Bargain: Good! ( I'll be able to kill myself during critical times :p )
    • [Encounter] Vampiric Embrace: It's me or its temporary HP aren't shared with the party?
    • [Passive] Warding Curse: As someone asked before "make it shared", at least for Temptation.
    • [Passive] Dark Prayers: Same as [Warding Curse].
    • [Encounter] Wraith's Shadow : So weak for a tick every 1.5 second.
      • => If we compare that with [Dread theft] it's DPS is 66% weaker...

TANK/SURVIVAL ORIENTED BUILD
    • [Passive] Warding Curse : No problem! ( I don't expect to easily over-defend GF/OP, or can I? )
    • [Passive] Shadow Walk : No problem!
    • [Encounter] Harrowstorm : Long casting time easily interrupted, otherwise it's great.
    • [Encounter] Blade of Vanquished Armies : Weaker than Harrowstorm and dispelled if prone.
    • [Encounter] Infernal Sphere : ROFL! Let's play marbles with monsters!

Given previous SW changes did globally ignore Temptation I was expecting some real/viable changes here.
    So there are positives changes! However there isn't really viable new ways even for Temptation builds.
This discussion has been closed.