test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] I'm Looking for Archer Companion Suggestions

lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 17 Arc User
edited November 2017 in The Wilds
Hello!

Can anyone recommend a good ranged-attack Companion with a decent rate of fire (at least good enough to keep Bonding Runestones up)?

Here's a little history to why I ask... I've been playing Neverwinter about 3 months, now. A couple weeks into playing, a generous person gave me a Goat Augment companion and some companion gear to go with it. This significantly increased the functionality of my character. Sometime later I upgraded to a Quasit Augment, which is what I have today.

I have learned that Bonding Stones, with a good companion, are really a better way to go. Even post-12b nerf, having even only Rank 9-10 Bondings, you get the same-or-better stat sharing than with an Augment, and you have an active companion that can add a little more damage (and/or debuffs), too.

So with an alt, I have been playing around with Bondings, and that seems for sure to be the way to go, and I'm about ready to make the transition from Augment to Bonded Companion on my Main. I've been saving up resources to buy the stones off the Auction House (I think I'll be able to afford Rank 10 stones, straight away), but I have a question about which Summoned Companion I should use.

The main character I'm asking about, is a Hunter Ranger Stormwarden/Archer. I'm using a build based off the MMO Minds' Blood Talon Archer. I enjoy playing that, not interested in becoming a different flavor HR (melee or trapper?). I like standing outside the battle and poking at a distance, but that's where I get a problem.

I've read a lot about companions, and it seems the usual recommendation is the Con Artist or Sellsword for their debuff attacks. My build works best when I'm far away from my foes. Before my Augment, I had a Sellsword. Many times in combat she'd just stand there. And in recent testing with various other companions, I find the same holds true, that they mostly don't run-up and engage, meaning no triggered Bonding Stones.

Is there a suggestion for how to overcome this problem?

Post edited by lordhavelock on

Comments

• jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    I think they fixed the sellsword comp. problem with extreme range, not sure though.

As archer, one of your pets should be hunting hawk. Boosts atwill i.e.. aimed shot.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    They fixed it, eh? Ok, I'll try it again.

I do currently have the Hunting Hawk. I also have the Manticore, Owl, Lightfoot Thief, and the aforementioned Quasit.

I have a Sellsword and a handful of other "dormant" companions.

I also plan to get Air and Fire Archons (and swap out two others, probably the Manticore and Thief).
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I had the same problem, and after some searching I found that the Netherese Arcanist will proc your bondings even when you are standing at maximum possible distance from your target. The Netherese also procs very fast, so you can start a fight with longstriger (which will cause the companions gift to proc right after), then use aimed shot at maximum distance. I don't know if there are others that do the same, but for my archer this became my main companion (because I also liked the companion for role play reasons).

The Netherese Arcanist provide a damage boost if standing behind an enemy, so obviously very situational and not ideal for some, but the fact that you can always stand at maximum distance and thus get the maximum distance damage bonuses makes up for this in my opinion. The Netherese also has three offense slots, so you get max power from your bondings.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    @jonkoca - I did some simple testing with my common-level Sellsword. At about half my range she would engage targets most of the time after my first shot. The farther I started combat, the less likely she seemed to engage. If I was at my full range, she'd just stand around nearly every time (every once in a while she'd engage even at full range).

In any case, if my foes ran to me (as they always do when I'm solo), once they got closer she'd eventually engage, of course.

This seems to be the same behavior I noticed when I originally played with her.

@clericalist - Try the Netherese Arcanist, eh? Huh. Ok.

Any one else got any other ranged-companion suggestions?
  • aderonzaderonz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 120 Arc User
    Chultan hunter and keanu archer are both good ranged compagnions. as for bonding procs you should check their CDs on auction house. I've been using Aranea for a couple months as i play a trapper and she starts ranged then go melee which is convenient, and even with quiet long CDs bonding buff is always up, it seems to be the case with most companions.
    Damn cryptic coding. Oh well, go with whatever you like the look of I suppose. Xuna is cool.
  • kleineryoda#3363 kleineryoda Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    You can also look out for companions with a lunge attack - basically it's making them storm forwards over quite some distance. Personally I have a Boar, who does that lunge over 56'. This does suit me as I usually stand around 60' away from enemies, getting me most party buffs while still "maximising" my range. Panther and Velociraptor do it as well I think (It's called pounce, so not sure).

You can hoover over over their skills to see the range of attack, just as you see their cooldowns. The Dwarven Battleranger does leap forwards as well and is free to get. (2 offensive slots and 3 rings - not the worst choice, and underrated if you ask me). Quickling has a sprint (?), don't know the range and have never tested it myself though.

To a certain degree this should work with teleporting companions as well, like Xuna, Mercenary, Lightfoot Thief, Shadow Demon, Phase Spider or Blink Dog - be aware however that due to their teleporting behind an enemy they are prone to fall of cliffs (Tiamat, Dragon Turtle, Spellplague Caverns ...)

And generally you want to aim for a striker type companion with as many as possible (3) offensive runestone slots. From personal experience I can not recommend ranged companions if you want to stay at far range - as they will run after you, and thus stay behind you, hence being out of range.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I've tried the Netherese Arcanist, if you attack from the maximum range (92 feet) she won't attack, just like all other companions. She also rushes forward when she does attack she won't enable Aspect of the Pack.

IMO the best option for an archer who actually wants to attack from as far as possible is an augment. It's not the best choice but archer isn't either anyway.

I do find it funny when soloing.
    edited November 2017
    artifleur said:

I've tried the Netherese Arcanist, if you attack from the maximum range (92 feet) she won't attack, just like all other companions. She also rushes forward when she does attack she won't enable Aspect of the Pack.

IMO the best option for an archer who actually wants to attack from as far as possible is an augment. It's not the best choice but archer isn't either anyway.

It works for me, I made these two quick videos

https://youtube.com/watch?v=NFtZRFmLFGQ&feature=youtu.be

https://youtube.com/watch?v=BBWHN9lu5Xk&feature=youtu.be

Is it perhaps not working because your companion has not unlocked the vampires embrace encounter, I am guessing that is what makes it work from a distance.
  • krondhorkrondhor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 150 Arc User

artifleur said:

Is it perhaps not working because your companion has not unlocked the vampires embrace encounter, I am guessing that is what makes it work from a distance.
    Vampires embrace is a SW encounter not a HR one :pensive:
    GRAVITY X GAME
    edited November 2017
    krondhor said:

artifleur said:

Vampires embrace is a SW encounter not a HR one :pensive:
    Read carefully, I was talking about the companion, which in this case is using a SW power.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2017

artifleur said:

I've tried it again. Mine was blue quality with everything unlocked.

She only attacks if she's standing at least as close to the enemy as you. If she was behind you when you attack, she won't move.

On your second video you can see that she doesn't attack at the beginning but only does once the target comes closer.
    edited November 2017
    artifleur said:

artifleur said:

I've tried it again. Mine was blue quality with everything unlocked.

She only attacks if she's standing at least as close to the enemy as you. If she was behind you when you attack, she won't move.

On your second video you can see that she doesn't attack at the beginning but only does once the target comes closer.
    Granted if they are standing too far behind they will not enter combat, for solo mobs if you can one shot them all then it does not really matter if you proc bonding or not. For hard mobs they are going to move towards you, the arcanist will proc before you launch your second shot, but many other companions would be able to do this, so one could argue that for solo stuff you can go for most. The opening post was just like me probably trying to find something for immobile bosses and long fight bosses like Orcus or the dragons in WOD, where one could simply not proc from a far distance, one can either adjust your position a bit to get the arcanist proc or one can use augments or stand much closer to the boss, for me amount of extra damage you are losing out on is simply too much. I must also add that once the arcanist is in the fight it stays in the fight, the others I tried will move back towards you once have move the max distance, it also comes with 3 offense slots, which for the archer has to be almost a must.

I am more than willing to go for an alternative if there is a better one, I have already mentioned in these forums that I have not done an exhaustive search for all the companions, if there is a companion with a better active and does the proccing, then I would switch (even though I went to orange with my arcanist). This distance problem (and the dps being a bit too low) was supposed to be addressed by a developer, but he left and its safe to say that the archer will not be high on the priority list, so we have to do the best with what we got or just play the other HR paths.
    Sounds dumb, but you could run through the mobs, drop off your companion, and attack from the other side after your companion has engaged..? Hopefully you'll be running with a high aggro pet anyway. Yeti is good etc.
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I'm currently using a high-crit Stormwarden build with the following active companions and enjoying the results: Crab, Manticore, Panther, Slyblade Kobold, Paranoid Delusion (Summoned).

The idea is to take advantage of the increased % chance of rooting/knocking down target npcs, and gaining an increased damage bonus against those rooted/knocked down tartget npcs. (Equipping the Loamweave Enchantment, Lightning Enchantment [for chaining], and having the full Lostmauth Artifact set equipped also helps.)

I'll usually find a remote spot with the best vantage point and open with Split the Sky, and spam Split-shot/Electric Shot.

In a situation where there are many npcs like in the Illusionist's Gambit skirmish, rooting those npcs not only keeps them away from you but helps your team-mates survive... especilly in the swarming stages. Curse those pinatas!
  • thailadiathailadia Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Currently, I am playing with Young Yeti (summon), Hunting Hawk, Lightfoot Thief, Dog and Damaran Sheppherd. Getting them from looting.

My wish list is Air Archon, Fire Archon, Earth Archon, Hunting Hawk, Cambion Magus and Erinyes of Belial

The combination of Archon are quite interesting for me. The Earth Archon is quite fit with long range attack where you have rarely lose your HP.

Hunting Hawk is on doubt because I read somewhere in the forum that it seem not proc properly. If it proc properly, this should not be missed. I just got one during winter festival event and currently upgrade to purple and on test.

If affordable, increasing of Cri Ser is always interesting for me. Cambion Magus and Erinyes of Belial are very good choice. Dancing Blade also nice for cheaper version :smile:

Anyhow, I am curious at the moment what's kind of sommon pet is good for HR-Archery who play at the far side.

Normal pet + Bonding vs Augment pet + Eldrich ?

With current pet I have, I have to limit the range of mine to ensure the pet will do combat and proc bonding. It get the better stat for bonding but it is quite annoying when need to check pet. Sometime, it just run in and out that is a loss for my dps. Anyhow, most contents, the max range could not be apply. Mostly, it is limited and only some area like Tiamat, SVA that could stand at max range. For, solo content, it is much better for bonding than Augment_Eldrich because it is always be rushed in by foe.

If I use Augment pet with the Eldrich, I have no need to check weather pet is fight. I can keep farest range with constant stat and also could get some more benefit from Active Hunting Hawk (1-3% more I guess).

Anyone has an idea on that?

• thatsmeaswellthatsmeaswell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    When playing archer i use a chicken + eldritch, but mostly for open world pvp because if the boon kicks in you get hyperspeed and can easily cross half of the pvp area.
    Else i have a boar + bondings mainly because i really like the boar. I have yet to check if it attacks when in max range.
    In theory a defender should work best but it must be able to draw enough agro, so yeti or maybe mimic should be fine.