test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lifesteal as dps GF

manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
edited January 2018 in The Guard Barracks
How do you get a decent amount of lifesteal when you're running as many offense slots as possible and also Assassin's Covenant?

I'm tinkering with my GF as dps and with all offense slots on rings and companion gear my lifesteal is down to 7%, which I don't like. I was around 15% with tanking gear and I liked it. I'm running all R12 Black Ice on character defense slots, bumping them to R13 will give me another 1%. Now that I think about it, I can't remember if that 7% was with the Soul Sight Crystal slotted, so I'l have to check again tonight after work. If it was then I'm even worse off that I thought since I only use it for boss fights, although I suppose boss fights are when you need lifesteal the most anyways.

Comments

• cilginordekcilginordek Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    Apart from R13 Black Ice, I have 400 LS and 1 Point in Dragon's Thirst (from ToD), 400 LS and Endless Consumption (from DR). I'm at 9.2% with 2k total LS, which I'm fine with. If you really need life, you can use Fighters Recovery anyway.
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User

Apart from R13 Black Ice, I have 400 LS and 1 Point in Dragon's Thirst (from ToD), 400 LS and Endless Consumption (from DR). I'm at 9.2% with 2k total LS, which I'm fine with. If you really need life, you can use Fighters Recovery anyway.

I thought about a point in Dragon's Thirst but wasn't sure it was worth the hassle of a respec for now. I never used Endless Consumption because I figured the damage we are dishing out in epic dungeons is so inflated with buffs that the 3x lifsteal on proc would be wasted most of the time. I do use Fighter's Recovery when I need to, I guess I just got so used to having better lifesteal, along with Guarded Assault and the Valhalla set bonus it is really nice when tanking.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Be smart about allocating your points.

I feel that you should be placing lifesteal in boons, insignias, armor kits, and possibly the mount equip power if you need more consistency.

The way I see it, those are areas where you're limited on the amount of stat points you can get (not including HP, you can only "get" 3000 stat points from a full insignia list, only 800 from full armor kits, and a maximum of 4000 of a stat from the mount equip bonus).

You might as well invest those points into areas that only need a certain amount of investment to function.

If you were wondering, assuming I'm lazy and don't bother to swap out my Soul Sight Crystal, I sit at 14.2% Lifesteal with maximum offensive slots and Rank 13 Draconics. I usually roll with the +2000 Crit or +2000 Recovery mount equip. Works more than fine for me.

Of course, you could just learn/anticipate the spots when you need Fighter's Recovery and just never use Lifesteal, but that takes a lot of practice and running through the same dungeon to anticipate these spots.

• jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    I prefer to run SoS mostly but use Villain's Menace on content where being CC'd is very dangerous to my survival, this means Fighter's recovery isn't really an option for me. Now we have loadouts I use 3xTOD boon for LS alone, the other boons don't really bring a lot to the table for me in the last tier and I also use Endless Consumption as well and run Black Ice Enchantments.

My Tact loadout has close to a 20% LS whereas my Conc loadout is more like 14%, I'd like more, ideally 30%, but you can only squeeze in so much without hurting your overall build. If you are at the lower end of the spectrum gear wise you can manage pretty well with just 10% and Endless Consumption but improving your stats/build is what makes a character interesting and expensive.
  • Hey all, just trying to figure this out, as I'm new to Neverwinter. Is a GF more or less cornered into tanking in end game content, or is it easy for them to serve in a dps role? I love tanking but don't have a lot of time to play, so should probably focus more on dps. Yet, the GF is the class I gravitate to most.

Any comment would be most welcome.

Thanks.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Hey all, just trying to figure this out, as I'm new to Neverwinter. Is a GF more or less cornered into tanking in end game content, or is it easy for them to serve in a dps role? I love tanking but don't have a lot of time to play, so should probably focus more on dps. Yet, the GF is the class I gravitate to most.

Any comment would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Depends on the teams you look at it.

If you look at top endgame teams, GF is primarily DPS. This is because you can delete everything really quickly on a well build DPS GF, and the best defense is a good offense.

If you're looking at any other quality teams, GF is mostly a tank. This is because most teams won't kill everything quickly, and likely will be more squishy... necesitating a meatshield to keep the rest of your teams.

Keep in mind that OP technically does the pure tanking role better than GF due to OP having easier mechanics and just stronger tools. However, GF teaches you how to tank far better than OP does because GF has less room for error.

• > @rjc9000 said:
    >
    > Depends on the teams you look at it.
    >
    > If you look at top endgame teams, GF is primarily DPS. This is because you can delete everything really quickly on a well build DPS GF, and the best defense is a good offense.
    >
    > If you're looking at any other quality teams, GF is mostly a tank. This is because most teams won't kill everything quickly, and likely will be more squishy... necesitating a meatshield to keep the rest of your teams.
    >
    > Keep in mind that OP technically does the pure tanking role better than GF due to OP having easier mechanics and just stronger tools. However, GF teaches you how to tank far better than OP does because GF has less room for error.

Thanks for the reply. Since I know I won't be a "top team" type player, I guess I won't go with GF then. Probably more a traditional dps class. Kinda sucks, tbh. The GWF seems like such cheese to me, and that's the only dps class that wears plate - which I love. Ah well.
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    I did T9G last night in dps and it went fine with the lifesteal I had. I died once at Ras Nsi when I pulled aggro and didn't realize it, all the glowing particle effects from OP's and DC's can make it a little hard to see sometimes :open_mouth:

• dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    I run around with a little over 10% life steal. That's with r13s and 1 extra defense slot since my gf can't get rings to drop to save his life.
    I also use the chultan merchant pants which boost your life steal when you need it (and has solid stats for us all around).

I definitely recommend taking 1 point in the final tyranny boons. 4% life steal is a ton for a single boon point. Doing so lets you get 7.25% from boons alone, then your defense enchants should net you around 3% (assuming rank 13 3-stats). Assassin's will take you almost exactly down to 10% now.

I'd like to get more, but any other lifesteal you spec for is going to start costing in other stats. At the end of the day 10%, good shielding, and off heals from the clerics should be enough to get the job done.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    If you go the DPS side just use all Black Ice in your defensive stats. With Assassin Conv. you will convert 10% of those stats over to power.

I know for my DC I have 5 defensive slots and with five R12 that grants me 2500 defense, and 1250 in life steal and deflection. I covert 10% of those over to power for 500 power.

I believe GF get an extra defensive slot and if you do not have two +5 rings you may have an additional defensive slot for additional stats.

If you run with a pally than you would want HP over Deflection or Defense for the bonus damage from Aura of Courage.