test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please fix the bag situation

Comments

• blindfury11blindfury11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 52 Arc User
    miasmat said:

@mordekai#1901 yeah, that's probably feasible. I'll look into a reasonable UI for it next week. Probably will tuck it in as a toggle in the bag options menu where the sort single bag option is now.

Or if we could "Lock" items in certain slots that would not be affected by the sort. So I could lock all my potions in the first row of my bag, while still be able to sort the bag without worrying about my potions going all over the place.
  • mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    If they implement the lock out toggle you'd be able to lock bag a out of the "sort all" action. Thereby forcing everything to act as if bag b were the first in the inventory when sorting.
    This would allow you to keep the first bag free for new pick ups, while dropping old sorted gear into the next available bag, thereby saving you the (ok... I admit... very very small amount of...) time of skipping to the far end of the inventory.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    Sorting is obviously a personal preference, but I think sorting to fill the bag from the bottom up is brilliant! That is the main reason I never sort my bags, I want the blank spaces at the top so I can see and deal with new loot.

I too tried sort all (BAD) and I am not sure what the order was, seems alphabetical or something, that is not good, maybe if it sorted by color that would be better.

I think buffs/potions should be in bag one, myself I like them at the bottom of the bag, I think it would be cool to group things together also, such as stuff that goes in the coffer, stuff that is RP, gear G/B/P, but that is just they way I do it, which might not be suitable for others.

I would also be happy to see a sort all except bag 1, that would fine too IMO, I don't really care too much about the bags beyond the first one look like especially since the bags are mostly empty now.

Being able to flag certain items for 'save for later' would be nice, like alternate gear that is part of a loadout, that stuff I don't want mixed in with gear I might salvage, maybe keying in on the BtC/BtA helps here, im not sure.

These are just a few ideas in case you are still looking for some.

I sort of like the one big bag view, except for the move/split issue and the small icons helps expect for they are too small for my taste and I would like a way to keep a row or two free at the top for new loot....maybe a new loot holding area at the top....idk, good luck and thanks for helping!
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

It would also be nice if rough AD automatically converted (it says it does, but never has for me).

Once upon a time RAD did convert automatically as long you logged in on that character. That feature was removed ages ago so the text is most likely wrong.

It would be great to have the feature back since remembering to refine RAD on multiple toons is a pain.
  • miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2018
    The auto-refinement of AD broke at some point, but we fixed it internally not long ago, so I expect the fix will reach PC soon (if not already) and Xbox/PS4 a month or so later.

For the current sort order, I THINK it's by item type then quality then alphabetically. I'd have to go look at the client or code, which I can't see from vacation.
    Post edited by miasmat on
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

@miasmat

I would LOVE a salvage window similar to the refinement window. Something where I can see how much rough AD I'll be getting before I commit. It would also be nice if rough AD automatically converted (it says it does, but never has for me).

As for having my first bag empty as I play, I like seeing what I picked up so I can discard useless stuff (rejuvenation potions, dolls, skill kits, etc).

They have that already... It's called VIP level 7 0,o
  • froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    I don't mean just summoning the anvil. I want to salvage a bag of stuff as quickly as I refine a bag of stuff (multiple items at once). Sometimes I run dungeons for a bit and stack up the salvage. I may have enough rough AD to last a few days. This is desirable depending on my schedule. I log on each day for keys, professions, evocation, refine AD, etc, but may not have time to play. This feature would also be nice so I don't have to look through bags to find salvage.

Unless I'm missing something the current process is summon anvil, open inventory, select item, select salvage, A, B(sometimes), rinse and repeat.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
    How about treating items that have been gained in the last 2 hours that aren't equipped as the initial list of salvage stuff? You could still remove specific items if you got a sweet new item that you don't want to grind up. I'd also consider adding that it must be character-bound (or maybe account-bound), but we'd have to review what rewards come from dungeons these days.
  • chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    miasmat said:

> @kreatyve said:

> @miasmat Please, please, please have bags sort to the bottom instead of the top! I keep my top bag empty so I can easily see what new items I get when I'm out questing and running stuff.

I've heard this a few times, but I haven't gotten a straight answer about why the empty spots at the top are better. Are you trying to avoid scrolling through your inventory to find the new stuff? If so, what are you going to do with the new stuff that makes finding it important? Would this be better served by a "just the new stuff" filter?

PS: we do intend to add a reverse sort, that does whatever you're sorting by, but sorts from the last bag slot to the front, and leaves the first bag slots empty.

I think the reason for the empty slots at top are better is that at least on consoles when you change to the inventory the cursor Starts at the top left corner. If you are looking for the newest looted items then this location would be easiest to see that item instead of searching through all the stuff at the top down through to the bottom.

At least add a toggle that would do Top or Bottom, and also perhaps a toggle to the one bag at a time view or the new all bags view.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    miasmat said:

How about treating items that have been gained in the last 2 hours that aren't equipped as the initial list of salvage stuff? You could still remove specific items if you got a sweet new item that you don't want to grind up. I'd also consider adding that it must be character-bound (or maybe account-bound), but we'd have to review what rewards come from dungeons these days.

having 2 hours to remove a "sweet item" before its ground up is a bad idea and dangerous and open to grief and accidents if anything is worth anything then its not salvage lol
    miasmat said:

The auto-refinement of AD broke at some point, but we fixed it internally not long ago, so I expect the fix will reach PC soon (if not already) and Xbox/PS4 a month or so later.

For the current sort order, I THINK it's by item type then quality then alphabetically. I'd have to go look at the client or code, which I can't see from vacation.

I noticed a peculiarity re this just now.

Ran a sort all, and was skimming through and noticed that when I reached the lockboxes, (currently still got some GR and Merchant Prince...) in between the Glorious Resurgence and Lockbox of the Lost was a stack of Greater Companion Experience Treatises.

Not a problem or anything, just thoight it worth pointing out.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    miasmat said:

My problem with the salvage stuff is the following: I pick up all green "crap" stuff from the ground - sell some for gold, but the rest I salvage. Now, the "Identify all" button is great - us that all the time, however, I salvage the items manually, one by one. Why - well, the default for mass salvage currently not only includes the green crap items,but also various level 1 "transmute" items that I have. I really, really don't want those salvaged, and I'm too afraid of accidentally doing that.

Remove the transmute items from the list and I'll be happy.
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...
    I hadn't considered items I want to keep because they are kept in my bank. Everyone has different play and inventory management styles. For me bags are "working space" I suppose. I'll typically mail twenty pieces of salvage to an alt, then go through each piece to salvage it.

As for binding status of items in dungeons that are salvageable, they are either unbound out bound to account. The only drops I remember looting that's bound to character are insignia, but that's another rant.

edited January 2018
    > @kalina311 said:
    >> @miasmat said:
    >> How about treating items that have been gained in the last 2 hours that aren't equipped as the initial list of salvage stuff? You could still remove specific items if you got a sweet new item that you don't want to grind up. I'd also consider adding that it must be character-bound (or maybe account-bound), but we'd have to review what rewards come from dungeons these days.
    >
    > having 2 hours to remove a "sweet item" before its ground up is a bad idea and dangerous and open to grief and accidents if anything is worth anything then its not salvage lol

Oh yeah, totally not what I meant! That would be awful!
    I meant, what if there was a new Salvage UI (like the mass refinement UI) where you could click a button to add "all salvageable items", "new salvageable items", "purple+ salvageable items", etc. I was trying to find a definition of "new" that would help people pull out the items they'd probably want to salvage without including the new gear they actually want to use as upgrades. I'm trying to help the people who are farming for their daily rough AD via salvage, by giving them a way not to care about the top bag being empty so it's where all the new stuff goes.
    Post edited by miasmat on
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    HAMSTERable buttons? :D

I try my best to not use the sort options because I don't think it works like "by item type then quality then alphabetically" though at times sorting a junk bag can at least get things started

Unless something has changed recently, I recall things like disorder among refinement stones/marks and runestones and enchants, so a sort would generally put green stones/marks ahead of blue ones and the runestones and enchants end up just a mess, so maybe the alphabetical sort is messing with the quality sort?

Is there maybe an item number included in the sort that hasn't been kept up with?

Ideally, it would be wonderful if you could put a drop-down selector on each bag that gave it a preference so bags would magnetically attract new items of their selected type, though the more granularity you could give it the better, and multi-selects would be my ultimate wish
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    miasmat said:

I would have to see it in use, but I feel like I usually leave salvaging to the end of a play session, and often times, items aren't salvaged on the characters that obtained them, so assuming the timer starts when they drop, this likely won't work, since it would be at the end of a 2-4 (or whatever) hour play session spread across several alts. If the timer starts from the time the salvaging character picked the item up from the bank or mailbox, this might work, but that is likely to include some very valuable items that you just moved out of your bank.

Continuing to assume the timer starts when the item drops, it would be amazing to be able to choose a few options like you suggested. A 2 hour timer would likely work for salvaging on the farm character, but would fall on its face for salvaging across many toons, since alts generally don't see salvage until the end of an entire play session (regardless of how long the session was).

Options that I would like to see in the dropdown:
    • Obtained Recently (any item dropped in the last 2-4ish hours)
    • Obtained Today (any item dropped in the last 20h)
    • Duplicates (leaves one copy of each item, otherwise salvages everything. This should count excluded items)
    • Lower Item Level (all items with an item level lower than your equipped gear of the same slot)
    • All
    All of these options should probably always exclude any items that:
    • Are dyed (except quest dyes)
    • Are reinforced
    • Are enchanted
    • Are transmuted
    • Are legendary
    • Are protected
    • Are +4 IG gear
    • Are only obtainable once (relic weapons)
    Post edited by darthtzarr on

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• jrdiiorio#8134 jrdiiorio Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    > @miasmat said:
    > We've made several changes/fixes to the inventory UI in response to the player feedback on consoles. These should go out with the next update (hopefully on the next couple weeks, but I'm not in charge of the schedule on that).
    > 1. When you press LT/RT to skip between bags, the top row of the bag will be scrolled to the top of the view, so you'll get a better view of its contents when skipping though your bags. Same for the pop-up item picker.
    > 2. You can now move items from your bags that aren't the first bag. It was a bug, never our intention.
    > 3. Pressing down from the right-most column of the overflow or main inventory bag won't skip down to the footer button. Also a bug that want intentional.
    >
    > I'm curious what sort modes people would find useful. We want to make the "sort all bags" feature useful to quickly poor your bags into the state you'd want them in. It makes me sad to hear that people "accidentally" sort, then "spend the next hour fixing". I think the first one we'll add is a reverse sort that puts the items in starting from the last slot, since people seem to like their new items going to the top for easy access.
    > I'm also hoping that the various filters make sorting your bags unnecessary, so feel free to suggest filters that help with whatever task is at hand.
    >
    > PS: all this applies to the PS4 too. I just happened to reply here.
    I think #1 is the biggest problem, That should help immensely.
    I just looked at the sort order - it IS by Item type first, BUT it's the internal item type, which isn't usually what you'd think of as the type. For example, most gear (all your belts, rings, helms) is one type, weapons are a different type, potions are the same type as skill kits and all the stuff that can go in your potion tray. So, yeah, "type" is a pretty vague term.
    We're working on adding some better sort orders, so we'll see which one of those fits your preferences.
    miasmat said:

@hustin1 I'll check when I'm back on the office next week, but I'm pretty sure some form of an expand/collapse all has been implemented internally. I'm not sure when it's for to go live.

There's only the "expand current map" button. Apparently, I was imagining things. I'll see if "expand/collapse all" is reasonable to add.
  • eviebarneseviebarnes Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Before the update, I had each of my seven bags highly sorted. Each was for a particular type of item. My runic was for all the wards, enchantments and other refinement items I had been saving. The rest varied between quest items such as reclaimed riches, healing potion overflow/scrolls of identification/kits to misc items that could be useful later. My original bag and the one following it was kept empty, to act as overflow while I ran quests, queues or battled monsters; they were always sorted and cleaned out quickly.

After the update, my organized bags were a jumbled mess that took almost two hours to try and resort into something approaching a decent organization. Eventually I had given up from frustration, and I am still unable to find what I'm looking for in the bags. It looks messy, continues to make me twitch and want to stop playing the game. I don't understand how you can say this is an improvement over the previous layout.

Please give us the option to revert back to the original layout.

Before the update, I had each of my seven bags highly sorted. Each was for a particular type of item. ... Please give us the option to revert back to the original layout.

I'm really trying to understand how the new layout messed up your sorting. The bags are still exactly as they were, just shown in the same scroll view rather than on separate tabs of the Inventory.

In the inventory Display Options window, if you make sure "Filter" is "None", "Sort By Bag" is "Yes", and "Icon Size" is "Large", that should be really similar to the old layout. With the only difference is that all the bags are in one list, rather than on separate tabs.

Now, IF you change the icon size to the small icons, it'll change from 6 columns wide to 8 columns wide. If your organization is by columns, then that'll totally change the organization for you. But if you are sorting by BAG, I can't imagine how 6 -> 8 columns would change anything.

Or, IF you chose "Sort All Bags", then that'll change the sort from your custom manual organization to a new thing that might not make sense to you.

We're adding an intermediate dialog when you choose "Sort All Bags" that lets you specify which bags to affect, which sort method to use and whether you want the empty spaces at the start or end of those bags. That'll go out in the next update.
  • maxzius#3795 maxzius Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    I don't understand why the devs in this game have such a hard time saying "We messed up. We, for whatever reason, thought this was going to be a good idea, but it wasn't."

The bag system right now is terrible. It may work on PC, but does not translate well to console. It's a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to deposit something to a bank because you have to scroll down through all of your bags.

Just give us our old bag system back.
    Probably because it isn’t messed up, it’s different from what you’re used to. I have five characters I use daily, three for random queue dungeon and skirmish, DC 13Kish, GWF 14Kish. The three characters that are lower level only have two bags, the original and quest bag. For them the new bag situation is better than before because I don’t have to tab bags. So, if you are a newer player it is likely you have no problem at all with the bags. My main GWF has four runic bags and smaller bags, so it is a bit different. I keep a fair amount of stuff and using the sort all option didn’t work out for me, but I can still sort bags individually by pressing the stick, no big deal. The only real drawback is how the bags display when tabbing between them: they don’t show at the top of the screen, which will be addressed in the future, and, as many have requested, we would like an option to sort to the bottom of the bag.

I ask of everyone in here, if you don’t like the bag, then please try to explain why so the devs can fully understand it.

Since I have multiple bags I don’t typically use the filter options on my main. I find it better to place items in the bags I want them in. On my alts I don’t typically use the sort because I’m only running dungeons for AD. With the alts I use the identify all option, then the refinement window. Any blue gear I simply put on the auction house. I have used the unopened items filter when running dread ring after using the sort all function (figured I’d give it the ol’ college try) and it was useful to find the quest rewards, but didn’t like how empty spaces were filled immediately by the next item. I keep unopened items such as companion packs, voucher packs, and so on for events and I don’t want to inadvertently open them. I’m used to the slot being empty after I open a box, the moving to the next item, this will take some getting used to. Also, the same can be said when selling to a vendor. There have been a few occasions where I’m so used to clicking to sell, then moving right, repeating that I’ve sold items I wanted to keep. Not a big deal because I can just purchase them back, but an adjustment none the less. Sell all treasure is a welcome addition, I no longer track treasure in the bags.

How I use the new system (main or 2nd main):
    • Keep the first bag empty
    • Quest / kill / loot as normal
    • Identify all items
    • Refine gemstones and gear
    • Manually sort the bag
    • Open quest rewards
    • Salvage or bank/mail salvage
    • Sell to vendor
    • Sort what is left (treasure maps, potions to keep, etc)

Overall the new systems have reduced the time I spend in my bags.

In answer to the above, the two biggest issues compared to the old system are that tabbing to a new bag brings it up at the bottom of the screen rather than the top, and scrolling up often has the scroll jump to the top of the bag rather than the bottom. (Neither of which is the end of the world, but both do my nut in.)

Personally, I think anyone coming to it new wouldn't be bothered, but when something changes and isn't as effective as it was previously, its a QoL issue. Albeit it a minor one. Its testament to the devs that we have had eager response to fixing this, and it shows that sometimes the small stuff does matter.

Sorting the two above issues, and implementing the "Sort All" lockout for chosen bags would certainly go a long way to making it damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned.
    I’d be fine with a confirmation popup after choosing the sort all bags option. I have selected it inadvertently in my haste to do things. Sorting individual bags still works the same as it always has, unless you have changed to view all bags as one (doesn't work at all by stick clicking).

I’d be fine with a confirmation popup after choosing the sort all bags option. I have selected it inadvertently in my haste to do things. Sorting individual bags still works the same as it always has, unless you have changed to view all bags as one (doesn't work at all by stick clicking).

But, surely, the change was supposed to make it better?

Otherwise why bother?

As you say, sorting individual bags is the same, but viewing, and thus using, bags is a pain. Using the tab across the top as before means on most bags you only see the top line of inventory. And while its no great shakes, it means its worse than before it was changed. There's also the occasional inadvertent bag skip if you scroll up what you think will be line by line, but runs bag by bag. Again, not Earth shattering, but worse than before the change.

Tinkering with the interface like this has little to no impact on game play in and of itself, so one has to assume its a QoL issue. And I don't believe anyone thought, "lets make it worse, but not by very much..." so I have to conclude it didn't work out on console as well as it did on PC. Where I imagine the system works perfectly well.

Hence the feedback from @miasmat and the eagerness to improve it.
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    Along with the 2 issues mordekai brought up, there's the issue that depositing/mailing stuff not in your top bag does take significantly longer now.

I would like to regain the ability to jump bag to bag when doing this. It's far less aggravating than scrolling especially when doing mass mailing of salvage to alts.

• sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    miasmat said:

We're adding an intermediate dialog when you choose "Sort All Bags" that lets you specify which bags to affect, which sort method to use and whether you want the empty spaces at the start or end of those bags. That'll go out in the next update.

This sounds like a really good option, thanks for adjusting things!
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies