test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why Don't Stones of Healing Stack?

akichidakichid Member Posts: 35 Arc User
edited December 2017 in Player Feedback (PC)
At best most of how different items in Neverwinter are stacked and stored appears to be random... If not I'd like to hear from someone the reasoning as to why some items, like ID scrolls, can be stacked can be stacked to 999 other things like skill kits, potions, refining stones, runestones and enchantments can be stacked to 99, other sundry items can only be stacked to 20 or 10 and items like healing stones cannot be stacked at all requiring one inventory space for each stone - regardless of how many charges each stone contains.

Why isn't there some kind of univerasl standard for the stacking so many inventory items?

A change was made to be able to stack ID scrolls from the previous 99 limit to 999 around the same time those scrolls became available with the purchase of VIP, so why is it we still have so many items that don't stack at all - or only stack to 10 -20 - 99?

Answers

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Once upon a time, in the not too distant past, stacking limit was 99.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    If they changed the mechanic so that instead of one stone with 40 charges, it was considered 40 stones with one use each*, then this would make sense. I think its all about cost/benefit analysis of the project change, and its priority in the scheme of things.

* While this may seem like a cosmetic thing, there may be more involved than just simple flagging. For instance, right now, each 'stack' of stones cannot be combined, nor split, which is fairly unique for items (I can think of Wands being another one).
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    You could think of it like the Pen & Paper limits. Carrying 1000 pieces of paper is a heck of a lot easier than 1000 stones.

From an MMO perspective: Healing items are far more valuable to a player than ID scrolls, so they limit how many you can carry (adding some small degree of difficulty) by limiting the stack.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    greywynd said:

Once upon a time, in the not too distant past, stacking limit was 99.

That must be a very distant past because as far as I know lockbox could be stacked to 999 for a very long time if not from the big bang.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • akichidakichid Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    The point is at one time ID scrolls were limited to 99 when stacked then in what appeared to be a quick and easy change, suddenly they could be stacked to 999 and why this cannot be done for other items, all items, as well is what I'm interested in hearing.

Specifically when it comes to Healing Stones, if a player has a stone with 2 charges left on it and purchases another stone knowing they will soon need one, that takes up two slots in a player's inventory.

If a person can purchase a new stone with 200 charges and stack it onto the existing stone with 2 charges on it that would take one inventory slot for one stone with 202 charges available.

That's all I was asking is why specifically with stones it hasn't been done, and why there is such a difference in how many items can be stacked for various other items...

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    akichid said:

The point is at one time ID scrolls were limited to 99 when stacked then in what appeared to be a quick and easy change, suddenly they could be stacked to 999 and why this cannot be done for other items, all items, as well is what I'm interested in hearing.

Specifically when it comes to Healing Stones, if a player has a stone with 2 charges left on it and purchases another stone knowing they will soon need one, that takes up two slots in a player's inventory.

If a person can purchase a new stone with 200 charges and stack it onto the existing stone with 2 charges on it that would take one inventory slot for one stone with 202 charges available.

That's all I was asking is why specifically with stones it hasn't been done, and why there is such a difference in how many items can be stacked for various other items...

How about enchanting stones? Why is it stacked for 99 only instead of 999? Or, emerald? How about gift of simril? Stack of 10! The answer is obvious. 1) They want to take away the inventory space. 2) They want you to use it to free the space.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • akichidakichid Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    @plasticbat... Good question.

"Enchanting stones", potions or any other identical item in our inventory...

In a perfect world if I had three identical items, say for instance, three "festive Simiril scarves", even if they are bound to character I should be able to stack them instead of three identical items taking up three inventory spaces.

Obviously this isn't a disagreeably "broken" aspect that actually effects game play and having items that stack to amounts fewer than the identification scrolls sometimes makes it necessary for people to have to purchase (which is the real reason I suspect no one is in a hurry to improve the ‘quality of life’ for us players) storage space of one kind or another, but there appears to be absolutely no rhyme or reason to it other than someone arbitrarily decided to assign different stack numbers to different items.

We already know it is possible to quickly to make changes to stack things to 999, when not being able to do so appeared to be discouraging players from spending money to purchase VIP…

But why not allow other inventory items to stack to 999, just because it is more convenient for every player of the game - and makes a heck of a lot of sense?

Lots of speculation and a few opinions (thank you by the way), but no definitive answer – even if the thread is erroneously marked “answered”…

Not only does it appear no one is inclined to be bothered with anything like being able to more sensably stack items in a player's inventory - unless not being able to do so seems discourage players from spending money - but we can't even get anyone actually in a position to know the answer, to respond.