test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Collect All" button for professions

manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User
I know this has been mentioned many times in the past, but can we please have a collect all button for professions? For those of us that use leadership on multiple characters if would save us from carpal tunnel! Clicking on every individual task to collect is annoying enough, but I really don't need to click a second collect button on that pop-up window for every task every time just so I can see the results of the same profession task that I've completed hundreds of times already. There is no variation for the results, they are the same every single time. I get that you want a visual display for the player that shows what was received from the task, but there has to be a better way.

Comments

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    The "collect all' feature has been asked since the Big Bang.

I personally do need the pop up confirmation (I am probably the only one) because that gives me the hint if I should cancel and switch loadout to get my XP gears. For my practice, it is NOT the same every time. :)
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • manipulosmanipulos Member Posts: 235 Arc User

I personally do need the pop up confirmation (I am probably the only one) because that gives me the hint if I should cancel and switch loadout to get my XP gears. For my practice, it is NOT the same every time. :)

Man that is some serious min/max action! Swapping gear to collect your leadership tasks?

So if you still want the pop-up window that has to be "collected" yet again, meaning you are in essence collecting each task twice, what would you propose? Can the pop-up window at least center with the collect button under your mouse pointer instead of off to the left of the screen? I just want to get rid of all the clicking all over the screen just to collect my profession results.
    edited December 2017
    manipulos said:

Man that is some serious min/max action! Swapping gear to collect your leadership tasks?

So if you still want the pop-up window that has to be "collected" yet again, meaning you are in essence collecting each task twice, what would you propose? Can the pop-up window at least center with the collect button under your mouse pointer instead of off to the left of the screen? I just want to get rid of all the clicking all over the screen just to collect my profession results.
    Like you, I have many toon. I don't remember what they are wearing when I switch characters. Leadership gives XP. XP means AD. They all have 2nd set of gear that maximize XP that gives extra 110+% extra of XP.

For collecting, I only need to click each task twice (which allows me to cancel). With only 1 click, I cannot cancel.
    I would like to change setting task from 3 clicks to 2 clicks though because if I do that wrong, I still have the chance to cancel after the task is set.

When there was gateway, setting task was just 2 clicks or just 1 click (if you use back page).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
    edited December 2017
    OK so I'm home now, and looking at the leadership tasks, and all the tasks I run give XP. What leadership task are you running that doesn't give XP?
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    I think the loss if some XP from some task is negligible compared to the time a a collect and better yet collect & repeat button will save to all of us.
    micky1p00 said:

I think the loss if some XP from some task is negligible compared to the time a a collect and better yet collect & repeat button will save to all of us.

True!

And I was just thinking, you get a lot of XP for invoking so if you are min/maxing for XP wouldn't you put the gear on anyway just for the invoke?
    edited December 2017
    manipulos said:

micky1p00 said:

True!

And I was just thinking, you get a lot of XP for invoking so if you are min/maxing for XP wouldn't you put the gear on anyway just for the invoke?
    For the invoke, I should but I could forget. I "should" always put the XP gear on when the character is log out. However, I sometime forget. Hence, the dialog box from leadership serves the 'reminder' for me. I understand that is totally irrelevant to other people.

For me, the XP part is actually pretty important to my personal routine. I usually get about half a million AD in every 2xEnchant (the time I open the XP rewards). I choose the leadership tasks that give the most XP/hour. e.g. I don't run the task that gives only 500 XP in 16 hours.

I need that dialog box to remind me if the character has XP gear on so that it can get (say) 8000 XP (if it wears XP gear) for a task instead of 4000 XP (if it wears normal gear). I only need the first notification and I don't need the other 8.
    e.g. I have just claimed leadership task from one toon and got 50000 XP. Without the gear, it will get less than 25000 XP.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    Having a "collect all" would be an amazing quality of life improvement. Yes, please.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

I need that dialog box to remind me if the character has XP gear on ....

I do not like the "Sort All Bags" button so I just ignore it. But I know a few love it and thus I am happy they got it. I just do not use it. Wouldn't it work the same for you? You still collect one at a time and ignore the "Collect All" button?

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    I don't see a collect all ever happening. Logging in to do your profs is part of their reasoning that you log in for.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    greywynd said:

I don't see a collect all ever happening. Logging in to do your profs is part of their reasoning that you log in for.

Not sure what your reasoning is there. a Collect All, or a Collect and Repeat button, would still force you to log in. A "Collect and repeat automatically" option would not force you to log in and will NEEEEEEVERRRRRR be implemented, but that is not what most players want (I think it would be cool, but the effect to the game would be weird....and in general, very bad).

Collect All, I see no issue with. if they think a Collect All would have any impact on botting, they are fooling themselves really. This would be a huge quality of life improvement for humans, with 0 impact on bots. But as was said above, very unlikely.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    manipulos said:

OK so I'm home now, and looking at the leadership tasks, and all the tasks I run give XP. What leadership task are you running that doesn't give XP?

Corvee Labor.
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User

Not sure what your reasoning is there. a Collect All, or a Collect and Repeat button, would still force you to log in. A "Collect and repeat automatically" option would not force you to log in and will NEEEEEEVERRRRRR be implemented, but that is not what most players want (I think it would be cool, but the effect to the game would be weird....and in general, very bad).

Collect All, I see no issue with. if they think a Collect All would have any impact on botting, they are fooling themselves really. This would be a huge quality of life improvement for humans, with 0 impact on bots. But as was said above, very unlikely.

Because 1) the system works as-is, 2) does not require any alteration of pre-existing code.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • hammbo1969hammbo1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
    I would like a collect all button. I look at profs before I leave for work in the morning, and this could save me a few vital minutes. Would also be nice to add a select previous tasks button, so you could collect with one button, and reset previous tasks with another.

I don't have a problem with the idea of having to log in to reset profs, to supposedly prove I'm a player - not a bot, but anything that could make this less arduous would be appreciated.

And yes, I do see that this idea would help the mass leadership army brigade, but frankly I don't care about them.
    greywynd said:

Because 1) the system works as-is, 2) does not require any alteration of pre-existing code.
    Nobody is claiming the system is broken. Just saying it would be easier to use the awful profession system if you could simply collect everything with one click, then proceed to reload the tasks. At current I believe it is 18 clicks to collect everything, and then an additional 18 clicks at minimum, but can be as many as 45 additional clicks to reset everything.

I see your point of not wanting to waste XP collecting without the proper gear (I don't agree with it but that's not the point), but this is a simple change that could make professions a lot less awful.

A collect and restart would be wonderful....but my hopes for QOL are low.
    edited December 2017

greywynd said:

Nobody is claiming the system is broken. Just saying it would be easier to use the awful profession system if you could simply collect everything with one click, then proceed to reload the tasks. At current I believe it is 18 clicks to collect everything, and then an additional 18 clicks at minimum, but can be as many as 45 additional clicks to reset everything.

I see your point of not wanting to waste XP collecting without the proper gear (I don't agree with it but that's not the point), but this is a simple change that could make professions a lot less awful.

I just want to get the record straight. I was the one who talked about XP gear. Not greywynd.

I brought that up only because OP said the pop up confirmation is useless (for him). I just commented that 'feature' is useful for me (and probably me only). I personally have no objection about 'collect all'. I can deal with "my problem" if thing changes. I always do.

'collect all' and confirmation pop up are not mutual exclusive.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    At this point, I'd be happy with about any improvement on the professions UI. My list from most favorable (and therefore least likely to actually happen because reasons) would be:

1. A "Collect and Repeat All" button, that would collect every finished task for that character (and optionally display a window with all the cumulative rewards) and begin each task again if the pre-requisites for it are met and use the same assets as last time.

2. A "Collect and Repeat" button for each task, either on the main prof. UI or on the reward confirmation window.

3a. A "Collect All" button (as per the OP) that could have a cumulative reward window pop up.

3b. A "Start Now" button on each task next to the "Details" button that doesn't bother with the 2nd screen and doesn't kick out of the task list. This would automatically use whatever default assets would normally put in the Details window.

4. Just get rid of the reward confirmation window.

I still cry a little inside when I remember back to the Gateway and didn't realize I could use the Back button to set tasks quicker until a couple weeks before Gateway shut down... :cry:

---

I understand the logic of keeping it work intensive to act as a natural limit on how many characters that sane, human players will try to run them on, but bots and non-sane players don't care. All this does is put sane humans and non-cheaters at a disadvantage.

greywynd said:

I just want to get the record straight. I was the one who talked about XP gear. Not greywynd.

I brought that up only because OP said the pop up confirmation is useless (for him). I just commented that 'feature' is useful for me (and probably me only). I personally have no objection about 'collect all'. I can deal with "my problem" if thing changes. I always do.

My bad :)
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    This feature is so popular that it has been proposed so many times. Imo, since there are already "Identify All" and "Sell All Treasure" options in the inventory UI, it's reasonable to also have a "Collect All" option in the Profession UI.
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User

This feature is so popular that it has been proposed so many times. Imo, since there are already "Identify All" and "Sell All Treasure" options in the inventory UI, it's reasonable to also have a "Collect All" option in the Profession UI.

The *idea* is popular. The implementation will likely have to wait until Professions are COMPLETELY redesigned.

Can you imagine if the collect all button did so for tasks that weren't done, so needed you to pay AD to finish them quick? People would lose their minds.

'Well, exclude those tasks!' you might say.... maybe they can't. Maybe the way tasks are designed now make it not feasible to implement this feature, especially if professions are going to be redone at ANY point in the near future.

At this point, I would start asking (and putting forth ideas) for a complete professions redesign. Its the only way a major change like Collect All will happen.

litaaers said:

The *idea* is popular. The implementation will likely have to wait until Professions are COMPLETELY redesigned.

Can you imagine if the collect all button did so for tasks that weren't done, so needed you to pay AD to finish them quick? People would lose their minds.

'Well, exclude those tasks!' you might say.... maybe they can't. Maybe the way tasks are designed now make it not feasible to implement this feature, especially if professions are going to be redone at ANY point in the near future.

At this point, I would start asking (and putting forth ideas) for a complete professions redesign. Its the only way a major change like Collect All will happen.

I certainly wouldn't mind a complete professions rework myself (though history would indicate a coin toss as to whether it would actually be improved or made worse), but a simple Collect All feature could implemented rather easily. I'm a software engineer, so I have to acknowledge the possibility that the Professions code could have been written by minions of the Old Ones seeking the ruination of the minds of later programmers. I've seen that sort of thing with my own eyes, but made my saving throw. But short of that, collecting only finished tasks would be quite trivial.

Good point, I agree!
    litaaers said:

I don't see why a Collect All button would be difficult, it sounds really simple to me. You use conditional statements to do exactly what you are talking about: is task complete? Yes then include in collect all, No then exclude from collect all. The calculation time it would take to check all 9 tasks when you press the "Collect All" button is completely insignificant compared to the calculations the game engine makes when you press your at-will attack just one time at a target dummy for example.
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    manipulos said:

I don't see why a Collect All button would be difficult, it sounds really simple to me. You use conditional statements to do exactly what you are talking about: is task complete? Yes then include in collect all, No then exclude from collect all. The calculation time it would take to check all 9 tasks when you press the "Collect All" button is completely insignificant compared to the calculations the game engine makes when you press your at-will attack just one time at a target dummy for example.

That may be true, but the "Collect All" button you get may also end up located uncomfortably close to a new "Delete Account" button nobody asked for, given the way things work around here

That may be true, but the "Collect All" button you get may also end up located uncomfortably close to a new "Delete Account" button nobody asked for, given the way things work around here

I laughed, and then I cried because it's true.

The dark mysteries of Cryptic design philosophy were not meant for the minds of sane mortals...

:lol:
    manipulos said:

Good point, I agree!
    litaaers said:

Each time a task is collected, lots of things happen. Is the task complete? Ok, is there a possibility of multiple outcomes? Ok, calculate outcomes, and create objects to be assigned to the player. Ok, will the objects created be able to fit in inventory? If no, CANCEL EVERYTHING, and print a message that people will ignore when they call support/post on forums saying "My tasks are BROKEN!!'

There are more decision points that could occur, but I stopped at the first one that could go wrong. And that doesn't take into account any backend issues, like updating the tasks database (adding, updating, deleting records en masse), additional testing for every new task they add to the game, and don't get me started on what happens when someone's Forgehammer of Gind gets eaten by accident!

pterias said:

litaaers said:

I certainly wouldn't mind a complete professions rework myself (though history would indicate a coin toss as to whether it would actually be improved or made worse), but a simple Collect All feature could implemented rather easily. I'm a software engineer, so I have to acknowledge the possibility that the Professions code could have been written by minions of the Old Ones seeking the ruination of the minds of later programmers. I've seen that sort of thing with my own eyes, but made my saving throw. But short of that, collecting only finished tasks would be quite trivial.

As a software engineer, then you know that NOTHING is ever easy when working on a distributed client/server app used by 1000's/1,000,000's of users, especially when if comes to testing/regressing/and cost-benefit analyses.

• robai#6206 robai Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    OMG, Collect all would be awesome!
    But now we have to collect stuff TWICE from every singe task:
    1) Collect Result
    2) Take Rewards

text

Why is that?
    If the system needs time then just wait for it, there is no need to click it twice.
    Ideally:
    - click Collect all button then wait until system collects all the stuff
    - play sound only when it's done

EDIT:
    Actually it would be nice to have one more button: Collect and Repeat
    (it collects all rewards and repeats all tasks using the same assets)
    Post edited by robai#6206 on
    edited December 2017
    litaaers said:

As a software engineer, then you know that NOTHING is ever easy when working on a distributed client/server app used by 1000's/1,000,000's of users, especially when if comes to testing/regressing/and cost-benefit analyses.

Going down the road you're on can be used as an excuse to never touch the code ever again to change anything. Some things are going to be more complicated than others, and some things are more complicated than it looks like they should be (like turning off weapon/armor enchant visuals apparently are). I acknowledged it's possible with this, but highly unlikely. With even the bare minimum of proper coding practices during initial design or later refactoring, this particular thing should be rather trivial compared to virtually everything else they do. I think you're overthinking it just to be a contrarian for some reason.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Please...

One can say that it's low priority, or that they don't want to because in terms of in-game economy more RP will be generated, or have bots as an excuse, or have long term plan and don't want to invest resources now, and it can be valid more, or valid less, it's their resources allocation and planning, but If they can't make a collect all button due to code issue, they need to pack up their things, and look for other fields of work, one that does not involve computers, like gardening.

Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    "I think I should put my Miracle Grow and my Watering Can right here next to my Flame-Thrower..."

"Hmm... Nobody is eating my Okra... I think I will make them eat Okra because its good for them..."

"Yes, we are aware that our decision to put Needles in our Tomatoes has upset a few people... We are monitoring the situation and will make adjustments where necessary..."

"You see, we felt that people had too much Corn, so we came to your houses and took back half the Corn you had bought from us to make things better for everyone... It's OK though, because if you really feel like you need that Corn back, we have a method where you can kind of make that happen... Pound some Sand for about a year and then drive back down here and give us your car and we will gladly give you back most of your Corn!"