test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has anyone done comprehensive testing with Control Bonus

sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
edited December 2017 in The Library
Hello Everyone,

I don't have a lot of experience and I know there are some serious theorists in the CW community.

So I'm looking to blow the dust off my alt CW character.

With that said, I am looking to play with the MoF Buffer/Duffer support role with more of an emphasis on Control that likely your average player.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate any guides or posts about potential thresholds for accumulating control bonus.

These are the sources that I am particularly familiar with atm:
  • Wisdom Attribute
  • Control Bonus Stat (From Boons, Artifacts, etc)
  • Control Bonus % increases (Companions - Will o Wisp, Cantankerous Mage, Etc... Valindra Set Bonus.. etc)
Control Effect Durations being increased by - Orb of Imposition Feat

Back in Mod 5/6 I found that at about 80% Control % bonus I could just about 100% keep mobs locked down. (This is the last mods I played CW regularly... back with the 1 shot archer skeletons, etc.... since people actually appreciated the Control part of Control Wizard)

I'm unsure if anyone has made an observation/tested, if there is a similar % needed for more current content like FBI / Tong / etc... (basically when have it I hit the overkill/diminishing returns threshold)

My thought process here... I would like to run an Oppressor build with non-meta lesser equipped/experienced players from Alliance, etc... that can't just burn through mobs.. like meta/elite groups can...

My goal being... to create more room for error and smoother runs to help people learn dungeons.. etc...

For more advanced/better equipped groups.. I would simply create a Loadout that is the more typical Buff/Debuffer / DPS hybrid.

Thanks in advance.
-= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
- Apocalypse - (DC)
- Sadus (OP)
- Fireball (GWF)
- Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
Post edited by sadus671 on

Comments

• sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 203 Arc User
    Guess not :)

Well I'll report back anything I observe.

Thanks.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....

Member of Ember Legion
  • modlesiemodlesie Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    You can remove "Control" and leave Wizard, it is really not Necessary, although it is even hard to call this character "Wizard". Devs just screw up this character by nerfing it mod after mod.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    @thefabricant has some good information that you might find interesting in his CW Mechanics guide further down in the Library Thread.
    edited December 2017
    Thanks @niadan

Ignore below - I was looking at an outdated guide.

I did check Sharp's guide and unfortunately it's on his to do list for the guide:

What has yet to be done:

A case by case analysis of Evocation. I was almost done with this. In addition, Crit Conflag, Swath, Combustive, Arcane Presence and what benefits from Arcane Stacks.
    A case by case analysis of Blighting Power, Wizard’s Wrath, Arcane Enhancement. All Oppressor, Thaumaturge and Renegade DPS feats.
    A case by case analysis of what procs Abyss of Chaos that shouldn’t.
    A case by case analysis of what scales Abyss of Chaos.
    Updating the builds section, especially the MoF section, which is currently lying neglected and severely lacking in up to date info.
    A more in depth analysis of Dread vs Vorpal, the most commonly asked question.
    An analysis of why the Orcus set is worse than a broken set.
    An analysis of the offhand bonuses, as well as the mainhand bonuses.
    A section on how control bonus works, an in depth look at tertiary stats.

I've never known Sharp to be proponent of Control emphasis builds (Oppressor) and as a result, I'm sure he's not really motivated to do much research into it. (Also, understandable.. since most bosses are control immune and trash is trivial for elite meta groups... my thoughts for this loadout would be for trash (with non-elite meta groups and maybe boss fights with high #'s of adds... typically I would be switching to a different loadout for boss fights)

Maybe this can be a contribution I can make to one aspect of the game that hasn't really been vetted to any real degree. (at least publicly published)

If anything... I just see this as an intriguing nitch build to play around with... when partying with people not just farming the dungeon and have no expectations on how long it should take.. etc... since they already know it isn't going to be a speed run...

Thanks!
    Post edited by sadus671 on
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Member of Ember Legion
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    @sadus671 you are looking at an old version.
    edited December 2017
    Oh, Thanks Sharp.

I'll look for an updated link in your thread.

Shame on me for bookmarking your guide previously vs. the forum thread.
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Member of Ember Legion
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    just forget about CW control in

pve (high end mobs are immune / trash mobs die in seconds anyways )

or pvp (new broken CC system the devs introduced )

try different loadouts with dps and debuffer ... you are certainly not going to want use a Cc control based build to finish out tedious dailies/ boons either unless you want it to take even longer .