test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gf trouble

I did 4 t9g runs this evening, GFs have made me feel like a dunce...in tbe aggro game. Any tips, pre 12b i cant remember having a prop.

Thanks!

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    If your GF happens to be a Conqueror/DPS build (check if they're built like a GWF, if they are, then they're a DPS GF), then good luck establishing aggro. High damage + forced aggro via Knight's Challenge usually means they'll keep aggro on them 24/7. I believe @michela123 can speak from experience in this scenario.

You could try Sacred Weapon + Smite for a force aggro skill of your own, but I'd rather just stand near the GF and just absorb hits alongside them. Too much effort to try and fight a ubiquitous GF skill that literally forces a boss to attack them.

• just1rndmdad#7709 just1rndmdad Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Ive tried vow, sw, bo, and as far as i can tell oathstrike does nothing for taunting a boss.

Glad to hear its not just me, as i seriously was starting to think i had to put the op away
  • hirogardehirogarde Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    I frequent runs with a GF... I've given up on tanking with him in the party and switch to devotion instead (with a burnadin-esque build). Unless a GF specifically doesn't want to draw agro (which is rare) you'll never be able to out-agro them; even then, it can be tough.

There's a few places where a pally CAN out-threat a GF, but if they're not cooperating, it only makes a bigger mess.

I suggest taking the alternate path and heal/support/DPS as they main tank - while you off-tank all the adds. It'll be much less frustrating in the long run.
    Id go healadin but just too much lost in powershare that way. Now...i did have only 60% RI..got it to 85% now so ill have to see if that makes a difference.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    As long as the GF isn't going to die from holding the aggro the it shouldn't be a problem. Just stand next to him so the threat can't be stolen and the boss keeps facing in one direction.

The GF will benefit from your auras and you can slot Bane to speed things along for the group.

I ran an MSP with a GF, 2x CW and an HR and I was using Burnadin for most of it but I had to switch to full prot for the aberrant boss as the squishies were taking one-shots.

CoP and SoF were up permanently and the others relied on lifesteal to stay topped up - we breezed through him after that.

The trick is not to compete with the GF but to synergise so everyone is doing well.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • nemesrichnemesrich Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I just don't understand why the developers don't care that OPs perform badly. Prot OP's job to hold aggro so if OP can't do that developers should fix it.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    nemesrich said:

I just don't understand why the developers don't care that OPs perform badly. Prot OP's job to hold aggro so if OP can't do that developers should fix it.

The OP and GF both have mechanics for holding threat, the GF is able to 'lock' the target into 1 v 1 combat and thus trumps the OP who simply uses threat multipliers.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    Yeah 2 tanks fighting....aggro is gonna be a prob. Why it requires so much work together.
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    The GFs I have problems with are the ones who think they are GWFs and forget they pull aggro because they are still a "TANK" and stand ontop of their own teammates. All it takes is the GF to simply steal the aggro for one second and Ras Nsi will turn around and IBS the entire team killing them. At that point it is my fault for getting the team killed cause I was not holding aggro. But most of the time GFs do not give me a problem because I can hold my aggro against just about all of them.

I am sure that a lot of you guys know is that [Binding Oath] IS broken. Popping the encounter will sometimes very rarily not pull any aggro to you at all. This is where we lost our aggro most of the time.
  • akanaroakanaro Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    In such situations I normally just spam Oath Strike which *seems* to work just fine.
  • scylent#6295 scylent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 43 Arc User
    As mentioned earlier, I dont see a problem with the GF holding aggro from time to time. The GF just needs to be aware of this and position themselves accordingly. We use Knights Challenge only at the bosses so if they are not idiots like I have seen in mSVA they should stay next to the pally, this works very well when imo. specially since it allows for a shared tanking and both tanks can use their rotations with less interrupts by stuns.

ScyLent PvE GF Main
    S C Y L E N T PvE DC Alt
    ScyLent Lux PvE OP Alt
    Unrepentantgaming.com
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User

As mentioned earlier, I dont see a problem with the GF holding aggro from time to time. The GF just needs to be aware of this and position themselves accordingly. We use Knights Challenge only at the bosses so if they are not idiots like I have seen in mSVA they should stay next to the pally, this works very well when imo. specially since it allows for a shared tanking and both tanks can use their rotations with less interrupts by stuns.

Yeah it seems GFs nowadays forget they are tanks and do not pay attention to their surroundings anymore. So when they pull aggro its someone elses fault and not theirs lol.