test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sunburst is nice

I'm sorry, but I enjoy using sunburst as it's Divinity version to amp up on AP, damage / heal over time with dread enchantment. My only stick is that I love it so much that I get lots of hate for using it! It gets me kicked out of guilds! Which I no longer care, because I find it busted with my build, I'm very sorry to say (with healing warmth, and other passive damage from heals.)

So, guilds are no longer my friends, and I can only wish that the creators of Neverwinter add a mod to make sunburst's ability to be more appealing to users.

On another note simply because I think I am banned from joining any guilds, or other would be crazy for me joining in making a new one. Would it be possible to add a feature that disallows invitation to guilds? I'm tired of get invited when the end result is the same. Or enable a feature where I donate items or goods in exchange for guild boons while not being in an actual guild?

Thank you.

Comments

• yiazzyyiazzy Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    Hey, the guild I'm a leader in will take you. If you want to use sunburst that's your call, we certainly won't kick you out for that reason alone! Kind of irritates me that guilds have tbh.

But yeah, if you want to join us, you're more than welcome. Gh9, Power and Xp boons, soon to get a Defense boon when we hit our influence target. Gamertag is "Yiazzy"
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    Guilds may not kick you out but pugs sure will. lol
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

Guilds may not kick you out but pugs sure will. lol

That they will. I use a setup of chains, Forgemaster (for DOT and it's the only cleric encounter skill that reliably auto targets) and sunburst for most soloing. But, would never use it in a dungeon. You don't really need the knockback when in a group and there are better skills for group play. But, if he is truly only using it in divinity mode there should be no real issue. There is no knockback in divinity mode and the DOT/HOT can trigger feats.

As for getting kicked out of guild, I don't agree with it but can understand. If someone is told not to use a skill in a guild run for whatever reason and continues to do so, kicking is a valid option if that player refuses to change.
  • justin#9687 justin Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I run a 13k item lvl ACDC, that solely designed on straight healing and amps up party AP. I like to run it with daily AA to even further amp things up.

I haven't unlocked T9 tong yet, and it is difficult for me even as solo DC (I can do it, but...).

So, the only builds that are reasonable for a DC is like a DO. A lot of articles post that you want to build a Buff/de-buff cleric. So, it's easy to destroy T9. Any mention of my build is much like taboo because it just takes longer to finish any boss.

At any high level SH guild leader knows this. Sunburst is known to blow the enemy back which slows down dps builds. I get away from this logic by using it's Divinity version where I do not push them away. Instead I inflict damage overtime with 3 counters on all afflicted.

Whatever any player in Neverwinter feels about this encounter spell, I get a lot of negative comments about it as the only usage of sunburst is push back foes. Which is false.

I don't last long in any guilds for it's members continue to feel this way. I become very defensive about it, and still get comments on to reassign sunburst for another encounter. I am tired of being in guilds which later dumps me.

I just don't care anymore. I am posting this article because I think for myself, that there must be a need to expand the game for players like me who are displaced from trusting any guilds. I enjoy soloing, but suffer the stats missing from boons lost from guilds.
    I use it with divine glow, bastion of healing, sunburst.

I am trying to constantly trigger healing warmth as maximum amounts as I can with other passive damage from healing spells.

• armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Why are you going for straight heals? In T3's and the harder T2's it doesn't serve much purpose which is why endgame DCs don't build that way. Their loadout is focused on buff/debuffs with some incidental heals - lifesteal on the DPS players covers everything else.

Your reason for using the Divinity version is to trigger BG/HW? Er, ok - if that suits you for soloing then fine - but in 5 man groups your bit of extra damage via these boons does not make up for the lack of buffs that you could add to the real dps players. As a support player your job is to support the team - I'm saying this as someone who mains a Pally and my 2nd is a DC. Your purpose is to make their lives easier and the run faster.

Your DC is at 13k but you're having a lot of trouble getting through the Chult campaign? Yeah that'll be down to your build/rotation (and lack of guild boons ofc). For soloing you should be using a full Righteous DO build and run encounters such as BTS, DG and DL/Chains. You can slot TI and Foresight for offence and defence boosts. Sunburst is more or less pointless these days.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    One of the main points about Sunburst is that it doesn't matter how amazing your build is, or how much it increases your team's damage if your team cannot hit the enemies. Sunburst scatters all of the enemies all over the place, making currently attacking players miss their attacks, and then forces them to run after all of the enemies.

If you really just want to generate AP using Gift of Haste, Bastion of Health, Healing Word, or Divine Glow will all give you better results and allow you to keep what friends you may have left.

Optimally, you should probably look into a proper buff rotation involving empowered Break the Spirit to bring your end-game dungeoneering to the next level.
    Post edited by darthtzarr on

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

As for T9G - if you're going to stick with your current choices you may as well get resigned to the fact that you'll not make it to the first boss in any group - you'll be kicked from any & all decent groups before then.

You need to choose between your peculiar fascination with your current rotation and going for one that is of optimal benefit to groups.

As someone once said to me; if one or two people have an issue with you, then it's probably them. If everyone has an issue with you, then it's probably you.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm disinterested in guilds. It's basically destroyed my confidence as a player.

All I am asking is if it were possible to disallow the option to invite to guilds. I get requests all the time, which I turn down. I maybe at fault on building a DC nobody likes, but I created it and enjoy playing it. Saying it simply.

As challenging as it is with no guild boons, which I don't mind by dropping drama. It would be great if a new mod were to accommodate players like me who have no business in guilds.
  • darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited December 2017

As I mentioned earlier, I'm disinterested in guilds. It's basically destroyed my confidence as a player.

All I am asking is if it were possible to disallow the option to invite to guilds. I get requests all the time, which I turn down. I maybe at fault on building a DC nobody likes, but I created it and enjoy playing it. Saying it simply.

As challenging as it is with no guild boons, which I don't mind by dropping drama. It would be great if a new mod were to accommodate players like me who have no business in guilds.

If you type /hide in chat, nobody can see your name in find person and cannot invite you to a guild as far as I know. Friends on your friends list will also not be able to see that you are online.

People can still message you, and can see you if you are standing beside them.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

Well, can't say I didn't offer!

I run a 14k Templock, and can't get into any T9G runs either, so y"know, it won't wholly be you. It will be more these stupid players who exclude certain classes from their runs. *Shrug* it's only a game.
    The easiest way to not get guild invites is to create one just for yourself. Get 4 randoms to help you create one then they can leave. You'll have a guild name so nobody will invite you, you'll also have your own basic stronghold and the ability to add extra storage.

• adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    Sunburst used to be a great little power originally, but then it got changed to what it is now, and I (as well as most other DCs) consider it effectively useless in group play.

Nobody cares if you are using Sunburst when playing solo - there are even situations when it is actually useful, but in groups - sorry, if you are scattering enemies around, you just do not understand how to be a team player.

If you persist in using sunburst in a group, people will conclude that you are either trying to be a jerk or that you are just an incredibly selfish person - in either case, yes - they are fully justified to kick you.

So, you have two choices. Treat this as a solo game (and use Sunburst as much as you want) or learn to play with others.
    Hoping for improvements...
    edited December 2017
    yiazzy said:

Well, can't say I didn't offer!

I run a 14k Templock, and can't get into any T9G runs either, so y"know, it won't wholly be you. It will be more these stupid players who exclude certain classes from their runs.

It is hard for some classes to get into ToNG if they rely on the "elite" channels. Many people there seem focused on the OP/GF/GWF/DC/DC "meta" (which basically gives you a reasonable chance of a fairly fast run with a high chance of success).

Personally I am happy with a OP/dps/DC/buffer/any group - yes, it may take a few minutes longer, but so what. Anyhow, My advice to SWs and TRs is that if they are 16K+ they just start the group - people will join through the channels . If they are under 16K, people may be more reluctant to join, unless they see the person already has a full set of Primal armor (which basically tells you the player knows ho to get through ToNG). In this case, a guild/alliance run may be the best opportunity - people are less picky about how a group is made up when running with friends.
  • namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Nothing makes me leave a run faster than a DC/OP throwing mobs around (I don't care about leavers penalty). CW using ice spike is also annoying, but at least that is a daily.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    Sunburnt is fine for solo play. In a group not so much. Had a group of four friends who went into a dungeon with random sunburst DC. Took almost 50 percent longer because the DC kept scattering tbe enemy.

As a DC I constantly adapt my playing style to what the group is made of. That is what a team member does.
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    Manny of you are focusing on the scattering of sunburst, the op said he only used it in divinty mode. If true, there is no scattering in that mode and it can be an effective way to trigger healing feats in a scattered group. So, although not optimal, sunburst in divinity mode only, can safely be used in group play, but only if the group allows and understands its mechanics. I have a Faithful/ Virtuous(15 point ) that I rarely play anymore to use in groups that need heals (newer players/low ilvl) and sunburst stays on the bar for its divinity mode with divine glow and Bastion of health or Break the spirit depending on group.

Gone is the time of the "haste cleric" when sunburst was practically required. :)
    zephyriah said:

Manny of you are focusing on the scattering of sunburst, the op said he only used it in divinty mode. If true, there is no scattering in that mode and it can be an effective way to trigger healing feats in a scattered group.

Then what is the point of this post then? People only kick (or leave) because of the throws.
    Thank y'all for your insights into sunburst. I feel that most players are not on par to it's mechanics and judge me too harshly.

If I had to make my own guild myself, I would find that as a lost cause. However I am interested in the extra banking space to myself.

Thank you for your replies.

Then what is the point of this post then? People only kick (or leave) because of the throws.

Good point - I missed that, sorry.

If Sunburst is only used in divinity mode, then it's not quite as much of an issue. Still, it is not the best choice in a group.

Why?

Well, there is the question of what you are using in normal (non-divine, non-empowered) mode. With Sunburst taking up one of the three slots, you are reduced to two Encounter powers in normal mode, and there will be situations when they are both on cooldown, and you cannot use any encounter power at all. If you had three encounter powers usable in normal mode, you would simply contribute more than if you just use two.

Still, it is not a major issue and not worth kicking over - I am curious, though - which other powers are you using, and yes, are you DO or AC ?

Thank y'all for your insights into sunburst. I feel that most players are not on par to it's mechanics and judge me too harshly.

It's worth bearing in mind that several of those commenting here are very experienced DC players that understand the mechanics of all powers available to the class. Even without the knockback, there are far better choices for your 3 encounters in the majority of situations.

• froger#9967 froger Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    When I play my GWF there is nothing I hate more than enemies being knocked away form me. It makes almost everything I do worthless. If I'm in a group and this happens I will ask the other player to stop it because it makes for a very frustrating run. As for stopping the guild invites simply make your own guild, then people can't easily invite you.
    Froger - Barbarian - Original Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Jade - Cleric - Healer Main - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Magnus - Fighter - 3rd main to be a tank - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Loverboy - Ranger - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Nomnomnommm - Wizard - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    I Am The Wall - Paladin - Alt - Droppin Crits on Fools - Xbone
    Xeros - Rogue - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    RIP bad name - Warlock - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Bardholomew - Bard - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone
    Sirona - Cleric - Alt - 9 3/4 Unbuffed - Xbone

Jade - DC - Shadows of Gauntlgrym - PC
    I used to ask to stop the throws. But most of the time people don't listen or understand. They will do what they want. I just leave when I see a group of trash mobs go flying.
  • neverburnaclown#3112 neverburnaclown Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    In short, you have limited options:

If you don’t want guild invites, you will need to either join or make your own guild.

The benefit of making your own is that you actually don’t have to do anything with the guild. The downside is that you won’t have any boons and will suffer for it.

As for your powers:
    You can use whatever you want, however in a public dungeon group, you will probably be kicked. Part of playing with a group means adapting.

On my acdc i prefer to us daunting light/chains/diving glow and astral shield when i play by myself. However, in group play i will either use forgemasters flame or break the spirit or bastion of health depending on the group set up. I may not prefer to play that style, but my role in an endgame dungeon is support and not be a hindrance.

It may be amusing to use such setups at times, but usually its best to only do those types of things with a close knit group of friends in dungeon runs that are private with them. And admittedly its amusing and healthy to try new things out, but not in a public run.

There are times and places for sunburst, though they usually get patched. The dungeons where you can knock things off ledges spring to mind.
    What people here aren't understanding is that everyone wants the support to adapt, but no-one says ANYTHING about idiot dps players.

You all know what I mean. That gwf who thinks they're a tank god. The rogue who thinks stealth will save them. The gf (a tank ! Smh) thinking they're dps and not using their mark.

You're all sat here talking about how you would also kick him from your group, and that HE needs to adapt. How about YOU adapt? You're all using aoe anyway, why does it matter? Not everyone and everything has to be meta. This is the whole point of an online game. We're a community. We HELP each other. Which is why my first reply on this thread was offering this chap a place in my guild!

Less imposing our will onto others, more accepting. Everyone plays differently! (Unless you're a gwf....I kinda feel sorry that you're all limited to 3 encounters)
  • Because this topic isn’t about idiot dps.

He can play his toon his way, however he needs to be aware of what will happen when he does.

No one wants to be in a public queued cn for 45 minutes to two hours because he’s playing with powers that flick people all over the map and make it harder to clear content faster.
  • omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    yiazzy said:

What people here aren't understanding is that everyone wants the support to adapt, but no-one says ANYTHING about idiot dps players.

You all know what I mean. That gwf who thinks they're a tank god. The rogue who thinks stealth will save them. The gf (a tank ! Smh) thinking they're dps and not using their mark.

You're all sat here talking about how you would also kick him from your group, and that HE needs to adapt. How about YOU adapt? You're all using aoe anyway, why does it matter? Not everyone and everything has to be meta. This is the whole point of an online game. We're a community. We HELP each other. Which is why my first reply on this thread was offering this chap a place in my guild!

Less imposing our will onto others, more accepting. Everyone plays differently! (Unless you're a gwf....I kinda feel sorry that you're all limited to 3 encounters)

So four people should have adapt to play style of one? I don't know about you, but real life seems to get in the way of my spending the couple of hours getting though a dungeon that should take a fraction of that time, simply because one person likes to fling enemies across the board.
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    yiazzy said:

You'll notice I never told him to adapt. You should play the way you want. You should build the way you want. Don't expect people to support your decisions though.

Others don't have to accept your play style any more than you have to adapt to fit theirs. You'll find a group that will play with you or you won't. It's that simple.

The whole notion that the majority (that know sunburst ruins aoe dps) should adapt to the few people that want to run sunburst is ridiculous. You choose your play style and live with your decisions. This is no different than choosing to run a templock. Most people don't want to run with a templock. That's their choice as much as building one is your choice.

Live with your decisions. It's just a game.
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    I HATE this power...

It has a low cooldown and Dailies don't. If you are getting rage from a GWF who can slap down 20m IBS hits you're only gonna do it to him/her twice before he starts raging at you.
    ...I main Templock and get picked up constantly.

Basically Justin, what these lot are saying is, if you're not a high item level power buffing Cleric, people won't play with you. They're bottlenecking you into what every other blasted Cleric has to do to play endgame, and it's pretty lame. Do what you want, if I come across you in game, I won't vote to kick.