test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

... but that's because RA Salvatore is my favorite DnD author and he had 3 monks in the stories, no druids and no bards.

While I like his books too, as someone who has played the Pen and Paper game for more then 30 years and read many books by many authors, I would suggest RA Salvatore should not be used as the definitive view of what the complete forgotten realms is like. Read Ed Greenwood, the man who created Forgotten Realms and see how it is shown. Again, I like reading Salvatore's books so I am not saying they are bad, just not the only point of view on what Forgotten Realms should be.

• athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Perhaps, but do Neverwinter classes match the table top classes? I don't believe so, but i don't play table top DnD. I have played the other DnD computer games and NW is very different. So a NW monk will be different from table top versions of monks. and druids and bards and all the other classes requested.
  • dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

Perhaps, but do Neverwinter classes match the table top classes? I don't believe so, but i don't play table top DnD. I have played the other DnD computer games and NW is very different. So a NW monk will be different from table top versions of monks. and druids and bards and all the other classes requested.

Depends on the edition you are looking at. 4th edition is very close. But to be honest, I don't hate monks, I just would not want to see the Salvatore books be the only ruler used to measure what should or should not be in the game. :)

• gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    The thing is, druids are just a sub-category of clerics, so I dunno what they would do, besides create more lag with additional entities running around. Forgotten realms wikia says that they can use anything from spears to slings and HAMSTER, so other than being an inferior DC and a lag machine, I wonder how would they make it work.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2017

The thing is, druids are just a sub-category of clerics, so I dunno what they would do, besides create more lag with additional entities running around. Forgotten realms wikia says that they can use anything from spears to slings and HAMSTER, so other than being an inferior DC and a lag machine, I wonder how would they make it work.

I'm not sure I understand your point, as all the 5e classes not yet introduced are subclasses. Bards are Rogues, Barbarians are Fighters, Druids and Monks are Clerics, and Sorcerers are Wizards.

Currently, all we have anyway are subclasses. For Wizards, we have Control Wizards and Scourge Warlocks. For Fighters we have Guardian Fighters, Great Weapon Fighters, Paladins, and Hunter Rangers. Yet, the Cleric and Rogue classes that we have right now are just limited to one subclass each. For Rogues we have Trickster Rogues and for Clerics we have Devoted Clerics. It would only make sense that the next class or two would be for one or both of these classes.

As an aside, with that in mind, I think the last thing we need is yet another Fighter subclass. We need more Clerics, Rogues, and Wizards.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2017

Neverwinter's classes are created with inspiration from all editions. The Oathbound Paladin is the latest one, having been developed during the time of 5th Edition and one can easily see that 5th edition has dominantly inspired it. The rest seem to have been dominantly inspired by 4th edition, with other editions in the mix of course. It's easy to assume that future classes, feats, and paragon paths will be inspired mainly by 5th edition, as that is the drive of WotC at present, but the Devs will continue to look on past editions for further inspiration to make them fit into the collective vision for Neverwinter.

• rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    obekpl said:

The thing is- TANKY classes in neverwinter are also DPS class- please balance all classes we have and later think to introduce new one.

Totally agree. I would love to see a new class but the class balances seems way out of wack. IDK, the problem with Neverwinter is that its like three games in one as far as balance: 1) A solo PVE where you need to survive on your own. 2) A group game where each class is pigeon holed mostly. 3) A PVP game where artificial balance that never existed in D&D between the classes is now important.

How to fix each? Maybe #1, allow more than one companion to quest with you to help create a "party" balance. Maybe allow all 5 active to be summoned. #2, you need to tweak the classes. Where does a HR fit in? Maybe boost healing from the cleric to make them more useful. Maybe add dispell ability for control affects for CW, etc. #3? Well frankly outside of party I think you should not mix types of games like this with PVP. I mean you need to be playing another game. PVP always seem like bolt-ons to games like Neverwinter or Path of Exile, etc.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User

Subclasses aren't what they used to be and haven't been for a long time (probably not since 2nd Edition). Each class is considered its own independent entity with it's own sublclasses to focus more on one aspect or another.
    zebular said:

We need more Clerics, Rogues, and Wizards.

Right, a Bard. It's all of the above. ;)

---

In a broader scope, there's been a lot of talk about party composition and how 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 3 DPS is outdated. I think we could stand to change that slightly to 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 1 SUPPORT, and 2 DPS. A Support role could include extra Tanks or Healers, along with things like MoF CWs, Temptlocks, and future Bards and, likely, Druids.

• rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    pterias said:

In a broader scope, there's been a lot of talk about party composition and how 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 3 DPS is outdated. I think we could stand to change that slightly to 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 1 SUPPORT, and 2 DPS. A Support role could include extra Tanks or Healers, along with things like MoF CWs, Temptlocks, and future Bards and, likely, Druids.

That is easier said then done. You would almost need to redo the powers of both the control classes and the bosses and mobs. Not impossible but do you see any will to do any of that?
  • athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    if monk is a subclass of cleric then it would be a great addition to the game as it can be as fast as a rogue powerful as a fighter and buff/debuff like a cleric. But yes there needs some class balancing especially with the TR (I say increase its base defense and add some more base damage for a start. And make that stealth mechanic more useful. But that is a different topic altogether.) my preferences on the three is a Monk, then bard, then druid. Because monk is versitile, bard a little less so and druid is really not needed (unless its a shifter, then i'd love to see that)
    zebular said:

I'm not sure I understand your point, as all the 5e classes not yet introduced are subclasses. Bards are Rogues, Barbarians are Fighters, Druids and Monks are Clerics, and Sorcerers are Wizards.

Currently, all we have anyway are subclasses. For Wizards, we have Control Wizards and Scourge Warlocks. For Fighters we have Guardian Fighters, Great Weapon Fighters, Paladins, and Hunter Rangers. Yet, the Cleric and Rogue classes that we have right now are just limited to one subclass each. For Rogues we have Trickster Rogues and for Clerics we have Devoted Clerics. It would only make sense that the next class or two would be for one or both of these classes.

As an aside, with that in mind, I think the last thing we need is yet another Fighter subclass. We need more Clerics, Rogues, and Wizards.

Well I was kinda referring to having the main class and its subclasses seems kinda redundant. I mean, DCs are currently extremely versatile - they can buff, debuff and heal, and they do their job really effin well. So another class that specializes in one of those roles would have to be better in that role, or else it would be pointless. But we already have enough buffs, so I genuinely don't know what would they do, unless they're inferior buffs/debuffs/heals, or superior in one of those roles, making them kinda unbalanced because, as I said, DCs can buff well enough already.
  • jda#8242 jda Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    All the classes have to be approved and in conjunction with a release from wizard of the coast so ultimately it falls in their laps. So what and when are ultimately lies with WotC and D&D.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Hi all. Is the next class likely to be Bard? Last month, I heard that devs tweeted something on Twitter which seems to be a hint of a Bard class.

If it's true, I hope it could be a crossbow-using bard.
    Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

If it's true, I hope it could be a crossbow-using bard.

I hope it's a super OP bard with powers that rival all classes and super buffs. Then it can get nerfed to the ground when everyone levels it up to BiS.
  • e1ementoe1emento Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    I chose the druid because unlike the cleric who is more open with divinity, the druid seems to be more attuned to nature, and we only have one class that has nature as an inherent power.
    My second choice would have been a thieving bard because like the nature power, we only have one class that has thievery as an inherent power which also disarms traps.
  • oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User

obekpl said:

The thing is- TANKY classes in neverwinter are also DPS class- please balance all classes we have and later think to introduce new one.

Totally agree. I would love to see a new class but the class balances seems way out of wack. IDK, the problem with Neverwinter is that its like three games in one as far as balance: 1) A solo PVE where you need to survive on your own. 2) A group game where each class is pigeon holed mostly. 3) A PVP game where artificial balance that never existed in D&D between the classes is now important.

How to fix each? Maybe #1, allow more than one companion to quest with you to help create a "party" balance. Maybe allow all 5 active to be summoned. #2, you need to tweak the classes. Where does a HR fit in? Maybe boost healing from the cleric to make them more useful. Maybe add dispell ability for control affects for CW, etc. #3? Well frankly outside of party I think you should not mix types of games like this with PVP. I mean you need to be playing another game. PVP always seem like bolt-ons to games like Neverwinter or Path of Exile, etc.
    Largely agree, though I would like all 5(or 4 of them even) active companions for both #1 and #2 cases(and probably the foundry too), so I could finally solo dungeons and skirmishes(even with somewhat lesser rewards than I could get with a party, obviously). The game seriously lacking in solo mode imo. Thus, they could have "solo" versions of dungeons and skirmishes, "party" ones and obviously the "epic" ones as well(pvp is another beast, so far I had almost none of it cause I enjoy it less, so I'd rather not comment about something I'm not that familiar with). All players would find something appropriate to their taste as I see it.

It's not like it's not feasible. The same mechanics with STO.
  • devilaltiredevilaltire Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Hey friends
    How about this...If dev introduce 1 class that can copy any other class for a shot period and he has some special ability that he can bring back any player life...Like that

Hey friends

How about this...If dev introduce 1 class that can copy any other class for a shot period and he has some special ability that he can bring back any player life...Like that

How would one even balance that?

That's a trick question, and the answer is, you wouldn't. That would be so broken it's unreal.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    obekpl said:

You know that 'balance' knife could cut both ways - if they lower DPS ability for tanks, It makes sense that DPS classes would get squishier. I've seen other player's CW's with HP almost equal to my 13k iL GF (whose HP is well over 150k).

In a true "balancing" of classes - CW's would not have HP or DR anywhere near to equal the GF, just as GFs would not have DPS equal to the CW.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited December 2017

Hey friends

How about this...If dev introduce 1 class that can copy any other class for a shot period...

I had an idea like this a long time ago. I was thinking a Bard that could take any other class's paragon path, so you could have an Master of Flame Bard, an Annointed Champion Bard, an Iron Vanguard Bard, etc. In 4E (around which this game was originally built... loosely) if you took a multiclass feat, you could then choose one of that class's paragon paths. Bards were the multiclass maestros, so it would make sense for them to have the option.

Then I realized it could be a misbalanced catastrophe and became sad. :pensive:
  • paarethpaareth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    I voted sorcerer on the poll but would take a necromancer as a second choice. Glad they are getting around to adding a new class, whatever it ends up being.
  • zulgrod715zulgrod715 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I would like to see a rune priest add it to the game for the simple fact that most groups have to spend a lot of time looking for a DC
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,092 Arc User
    Why would it be any better/different than the DCs already in the game? Lack of DCs just means more people need to play them.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    RunePriest is more of a hdps Melee caster healer buffer type maybe more would like to play this kind of a class then a Dc caster
    Just like how the paladin class Somewhat replaced the guardian fighter gave a boost to the lack of tanks so can runepriest help supplement the lack of DC's
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Suddenly a Bard appeared in the distance staning atop the hill with a lute in hand and bottle of something in the other.
  • nyghtshroude#9048 nyghtshroude Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I think it’s time to add not only classes but also prestige classes. Enter the what I call the “Lure of Darkness” expansion. Essentially a set of evil themed paragon paths and new class are added based on Book of Vile Darkness and Libris Mortis source book.

Background: “ Not every adventurer is heroic. Some are opportunistic. On a quest for power and self preservation, you have taken dark means to achieve your ends.”

New prestige classes - Blackguard, Dragon Disciple,

New class: Necromancer, with Lich paragon path.

I am a PS4 player. I would love to see this.
    edited December 2017
    Moderator Notice: A lot of posts were removed. Please stay on topic. This thread is not for discussing class balance or ranting on why no new classes should be added. Thanks.

Please do not reply to this moderator notice, as doing so is not allowed per the Rules & Policies. Thanks!