test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extra Life 2017 - Community Created Character!

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
edited December 2017 in News & Announcements
Updates & Details

Hello everyone! We've finalized a few more details for the upcoming Stream!

Stream Duration: Dec 9, 9am PT to Dec 10, 9am PT (Find your local time)

Neverwinter Segment: Dec 9, 2-5pm PT (Find your local time)

What else will be streamed? Tune in throughout the 24 hours to catch Cryptic employees play a variety of tabletop, roleplaying, and videogames!

Where to watch:

Where to donate:
https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=296037

Details on Neverwinter play segment

I will be creating a new character on my live account. This means no console commands, no godmode, no cheats. Since we want to keep this family friendly and enjoyable for all Extra Life viewers, I will be starting at Lvl 1 and going through as much as possible until 5pm. I will rely on the community for help in creating the character and what quests to focus on, achievement hunting, and everything else.

Going forward, this character will be used for specific Neverwinter community play streams so they will definitely grow, level, and be able to take on more challenging content in the future.

In addition to playing, I will also be giving away in-game prizes such as the Rainbow Starry Panther and other mounts (prizes will vary by platform). You'll need to tune into the stream to find out how to win these prizes!

Greetings Adventurers!

Cryptic Studios will be playing games for 24 hours starting 9am on Saturday, Dec 9 until 9am Sunday, December 10. On Saturday, I will be playing and streaming Neverwinter from 2 to 5pm PT and need your help in creating a character! Share your ideas for a background story/bio, a name, race, and class!

Please remember that this will be a charity stream to benefit Children's Miracle Network hospitals so keep it friendly and fun. More details on the event to come!

If you want to support the Cryptic Team, please visit https://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=37374
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    Are you playing from the tutorial, or jumping to end-game with a knox pack or dev tools?

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• zghondizghondi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Looks fun! but try picking a 13k TR and lfg for dungs and if you somehow get it try to beat the other classes in dps.
  • uzalauzala Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Go with a DC, good choice for endgame.
  • sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    My vote is for a TR as well!
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • spookele1spookele1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 24 Arc User
    pick a warlock and have some fun like we all do Go Full dps on it even more fun and then Try and get a party for some Epic dungeons LOL and let the fun begin
  • oldkitcholdkitch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12 Arc User
    I also would suggest you try the TR path! You will enjoy it immensely, lol!!!!!
    Handbasket? I thought this was a spaceship!
  • picar66picar66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 118 Arc User
    my suggestion is to play a healadin (pala as heal).
    So you can see how funny it is to play a support only role.
    Please do epic random dungeon in standard layout, you as tank(!!!), 3 dps and a dc and see how it works.
    Try a little SKT with no help from other or get the highest possible IL and cry for a tong run with healadin.

Thats what i would call impossible Mission.
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    @nitocris83

I have been both a D&D player and a Neverwinter player for many years and I tend to put a lot of work into designing good characters with rich backstories. I may not have time before this stream takes place to write a good character bio for you but I'll be sure to put one here if I find time for it.

As for class, I suggest rolling a TR. Playing a TR is something I recommend trying at least once even if you don't end up keeping it in the long term. Speaking as a TR myself, they are a fun class to play. There is a reason rogues in general attract large portions of the playerbase across multiple MMOs and roleplaying games.

There are however some major drawbacks to the TR class I should mention. For level 70 PVE, the TR class underpreforms when compared to the other DPS classes and it has a high skill curve. If you are intending whatever class the community picks to be your only character and you intend to play NW often, you should probably pick a different class for practical reasons. Otherwise, my above suggestion still stands and I recommend trying out a TR.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC

Are you playing from the tutorial, or jumping to end-game with a knox pack or dev tools?

Good question,
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    edited December 2017

I suggest picking a tr and try lfg for some dungeons.

I understand the implication here but remember that she is the admin. She likely won't get the same treatment as other PUG TRs unless people don't recognize her.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • grampyrulz#4209 grampyrulz Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    Name: Susie Sixtoes
    Race: Halfling
    Class: Devoted Cleric

Susie grew up in an orphanage in Luskan (or insert city here). When she was very young all the other children would pick on her because she had six toes. Susie would always laugh and brush the harsh words off, but deep inside it always bothered her. One particularly awful day of bullying, a young half-orc named Krass Kruelcutter accidentally lopped off her right pinkie toe while he was teasing her (he steadfastly denies malicious intent to this day). A local cleric of (insert diety here) was passing by when the infamous event took place and healed Susie's wound, but her pinkie toe was never found. Susie was so impressed by the healing power of the cleric that she chose that as her profession later in life. The children of the orphanage to this day will tell you "Don't make Miss Susie cross, or she will geas you and send you on a quest for her missing toe."
  • polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    etelgrin said:

@nitocris83
    I challange you to Pick SW Julia, see how pitiful it is without all the fancy stuff lul.

SW is pretty good for leveling character. no problems with starting quests. but on 60-70 it's already more hard that other classes.

so maybe @nitocris83 will playing from new 70lvl character? and trying to finish ToNG with 'recommended' Item level?
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Go CW you can be both DPS and buffer. also CW is very nice at low level.

EDIT : Get in to a guild at low level that will help you level fast and make it more like a real world environment
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• caveckcaveck Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I also vote TR. :wink:
  • zarra#5118 zarra Member Posts: 1 New User
    Some fun ideas-
    An orc vegetarian
    A kleptomaniac cleric
    Moon elf who is scared of the dark
    A halfling alcoholic
    A dragonborn who hates gold
    Wood elf mage
  • chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Play Oppressor CW. You'll spend 2.5 hours just killing 1 mob. :)
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    Updated the original post with additional info!
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

I will be creating a new character on my live account. This means no console commands, no godmode, no cheats.

Are you on PC? Why are console commands out of the question? If anything, showing them off would showcase Neverwinter's rich and robust set of command line features.

I can't be the only one who would appreciate this...

In all seriousness though, use /p and /s and /z at the very least rather than clicking through the chat UI.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
    dupeks said:

I will be creating a new character on my live account. This means no console commands, no godmode, no cheats.

Are you on PC? Why are console commands out of the question? If anything, showing them off would showcase Neverwinter's rich and robust set of command line features.

I can't be the only one who would appreciate this...

In all seriousness though, use /p and /s and /z at the very least rather than clicking through the chat UI.
    My reference to console commands is the high level ones that allow me to pretty much make the world mine, change time, give myself everything, etc. I only have these on my internal test account since they are totally not part of gameplay :)
    Fixed links to finding local time. Original post ate them >.<
  • chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    dupeks said:

What do those do?
  • icyclassicyclass Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

dupeks said:

What do those do?
    Switch the chat channel to "party", "say", and "zone", respectively. There's also /q for "queue", /r for "raid", and /all for "alliance". I THINK /lfg works, and /trade ought to work since any complete channel name does.
    edited December 2017

Some fun ideas-

An orc vegetarian

A kleptomaniac cleric

Moon elf who is scared of the dark

A halfling alcoholic

A dragonborn who hates gold

Wood elf mage

Why is it odd for a halfling to be an alcoholic??? What the HAMSTER kind of halfling DOESN'T drink alcohol?!
    This would still be an interesting character design, I play a salty female halfling who drinks a lot myself, but I don't see how this fits with the general theme of your list.

I'm also not sure what is counter-intuitive about a wood elf being a mage.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    chemjeff said:

dupeks said:

What do those do?
    What @icyclass said, and also you can make your own (shameless plug). Sorry for derail.

On-topic contribution: @nitocris83 are you going to be participating in the auction house / AD economy as you go?
  • preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Only questing for a few hours, she won't be able to chat at all unless that's already an active account with basic amenities unlocked...

I'd also suggest running a DC, simply to counter the false meme that they are so hard to level up

Maybe a live demonstration would show that they actually aren't any more difficult and would encourage more people to roll one, which would be good for the game in general