test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

To settle an Argument...

baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
edited November 2017 in PvE Discussion
I have ran Kessel's retreat with both a T.Fey and T.Vorpal. Both on MoF CW with Swath and CP enabled. Both 3 mob sets. Both same powers. Why is the Fey not more Effective than Vorpal (other than a few percent?) I appreciate any input, thx.
https://s7.postimg.org/7tv0ullxn/Test.jpg
Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.

Comments

• rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Fey and Vorpal are mostly the same, as Fey generally ends up being better than Vorpal by a few small % (I would say 3-5% most of the time, but I don't want to be quoted on that because that was a rough estimate). The exception goes to the high Crit Severity/Combat Advantage cases, such a Combat HR.

The reason why many CWs reccomend Fey over CW because Vorpal only affects Crit damage, whereas Fey affects all of your damage. A large majority of SS DPS doesn't Crit (Storm Spell, Aura of Courage, edit: removed because they don't Crit, Abyss, Assailant).

Sure, Smoulder can Crit and benefits from Vorpal, but who actually sings the praises of Smoulder DPS? :trollface:
    Post edited by rjc9000 on

• baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    I do. Thanks @rjc9000
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    As you can see in his screenshot creeping frost and warped magics can critical.

Also wizard that focus on inteligence-charisma they have already high combat advantage damage and + some severity from other sources make feytouched far better option for both paragons.
    Feytouched also is a buff.
    Post edited by mamalion1234 on
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited November 2017

I do. Thanks @rjc9000

Why? Even the feytouched proc is doing more damage than it. Going by this log, it is a lot more effective than it, not slightly more effective. You are gaining a 1/0.88=13.6% dps boost from the proc on top of a 20% boost from the buff, that makes it better than vorpal would be assuming optimal conditions for vorp (which would be 28%). If you look at the dps fey is also a lot more effective in this log, however using kr as an indicator is terrible.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2017

I have ran Kessel's retreat with both a T.Fey and T.Vorpal. Both on MoF CW with Swath and CP enabled. Both 3 mob sets. Both same powers. Why is the Fey not more Effective than Vorpal (other than a few percent?) I appreciate any input, thx.

I wonder which values you were looking at? If the calculated DPS is reliable, not sure about that, with feytouched you dealt 189.5/155.2-1=22% more damage than with vorpal. That's not a few percents.

However, I'm surprised by the 12% of damage done by feytouched weapon. You probably only were fighting mobs during this time. Against a boss I would expect it to turn into 2 or 3% at max.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User

If you ask about the effectiveness column, then fey is a buff not a debuff. It shown as part of the base damage (the one in parenthesis ) in the log. And not counted towards effectiveness.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    But is a T. Feytouched better for CW than the newly adjusted T. Lightning..?
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

But is a T. Feytouched better for CW than the newly adjusted T. Lightning..?

Maybe after the October bug fix items are released, if they have not been released yet.
  • jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    What was done to T.Lightning?
  • jano#8078 jano Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    What was done to T.Lightning?
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Reduction in the number of lightning procs from certain types of powers
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I may be wrong but I think the consensus is still that Feytouched is better on single target/
    bosses and lightning is still better on aoe/trash. By how much for specific class/builds is the question.
    Post edited by niadan on
    I saved enough AD to buy a flaming enchantment. I know it is not BiS but I like how it looks when equipped on my CW MoF. I'm all about fire. I ride a Nightmare, use a flaming enchantment, have a Fire Archon as my summoned, and my gear is all red. So yeah, I have a theme with my CW.

Where does it rank with Fey, Vorpal, Dread, etc... I don't care as I know down the road the devs will adjust things once again and what once was powerful today will be weak and the weak item will become BiS.

Fey is BiS for 3 or less enemies. Lighting is BiS when there are 4 or more enemies.

I like flaming as it sits right between the two without being strong on a single target or multi target.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

I saved enough AD to buy a flaming enchantment. I know it is not BiS but I like how it looks when equipped on my CW MoF. I'm all about fire. I ride a Nightmare, use a flaming enchantment, have a Fire Archon as my summoned, and my gear is all red. So yeah, I have a theme with my CW.

Where does it rank with Fey, Vorpal, Dread, etc... I don't care as I know down the road the devs will adjust things once again and what once was powerful today will be weak and the weak item will become BiS.

Fey is BiS for 3 or less enemies. Lighting is BiS when there are 4 or more enemies.

I like flaming as it sits right between the two without being strong on a single target or multi target.

Where the hell did you pull the number 3?

Lightning wins as long as you're facing multiple targets due to Lightning's proc amounts scaling with number of targets hit.

The "3 enemies" in the Fey tooltip only applies to making enemies deal less damage. It has nothing to do with the Fey damage buff, which is the important part of Feytouched.

rjc9000 said:

Where the hell did you pull the number 3?

Lightning wins as long as you're facing multiple targets due to Lightning's proc amounts scaling with number of targets hit.

The "3 enemies" in the Fey tooltip only applies to making enemies deal less damage. It has nothing to do with the Fey damage buff, which is the important part of Feytouched.
    My bad I missed read the tool tip.