test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Terror and the SW

sorcha#9865 sorcha Member Posts: 32 Arc User
I'm have being playing my SW for about a year for about a year...my experience with this class being great has nor being great....

I started with a Flame enhancement and I knew that I was never going to get any dps out of it....

So after A coal ward dropped I thought I would get a R8 of something and make a R9, I had heard good things about the terror online so I got a terror....

I think a R7 would do just as much damage than the R9.....

so my question is, is the terror bugged with SW or is the SW class bugged....

I have a R9 terror and it does nothing......

so I'm guessing the only weapon enhancement that work with this class is the vorpal and the dread.....all others do nothing just look pretty....

Comments

• eclipseblood#1326 eclipseblood Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    Weapon enchantments dont proc very well with our powers, usually once or twice so we dont get much use of the % weapon enchants except maybe lightning so ur usually gonna run or see other sw run a vorpal, dread, or lightning.
  • pyrosorcererpyrosorcerer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 137 Arc User
    You have to do some research up on how to use them, and when they will do well. Same as all other classes. When you hear people saying x or y enchantment is good it is because they have found a way to use it which results in neat damage. I would agree that for SW atm dread, vorpal, feytouched or lightning are the best options. Lightning is only great if you use the correct powers to proc it though.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    Warlock is a low-proc class on most stuff.
    Aura of courage, weapon enchants, weapon damage, no matter what.
    You will not get much benefit out of other enchants then Vorp/Fey (said to be fixed)/Dread
    BoVA, Hadars Grasp, Hand of Blight, Harrow Storm are some powers to mention regarding procs of weaponenchants.
    Terror enchant is more something like a "poor man´s" alternative to a "Holy-avenger" for GWF, I was told. Good weapon damage+ debuff on top
  • merhunesdagon1merhunesdagon1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    I traded a terror for a few r13s. It sucks on the SW but has an ok debuff.
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    > @schietindebux said:
    > Warlock is a low-proc class on most stuff.
    > Aura of courage, weapon enchants, weapon damage, no matter what.
    > You will not get much benefit out of other enchants then Vorp/Fey (said to be fixed)/Dread
    > BoVA, Hadars Grasp, Hand of Blight, Harrow Storm are some powers to mention regarding procs of weaponenchants.
    > Terror enchant is more something like a "poor man´s" alternative to a "Holy-avenger" for GWF, I was told. Good weapon damage+ debuff on top

Why is SW a low proc class, and will this change in Mod 13? Just curious as I am currently leveling a templock with the idea that a lot of the dot powers would synergize with Aura of Courage....
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    > @rubytrue said:
    > > @schietindebux said:
    > > Warlock is a low-proc class on most stuff.
    > > Aura of courage, weapon enchants, weapon damage, no matter what.
    > > You will not get much benefit out of other enchants then Vorp/Fey (said to be fixed)/Dread
    > > BoVA, Hadars Grasp, Hand of Blight, Harrow Storm are some powers to mention regarding procs of weaponenchants.
    > > Terror enchant is more something like a "poor man´s" alternative to a "Holy-avenger" for GWF, I was told. Good weapon damage+ debuff on top
    >
    > Why is SW a low proc class, and will this change in Mod 13? Just curious as I am currently leveling a templock with the idea that a lot of the dot powers would synergize with Aura of Courage....

Pc sws have rank ACT when they run their characters in endgame content (I think this one was mentioned by @pyrosorcerer ) with a paladin and other dps classes, logs showed AoC was ~8% of total dps for SW, compare that to CW/GWF ~25% and TR 14% - 18%

As for the othwr things you are asking for, other pc sws have started proc rate is low as well, things for example tend to proc only in the first tick of dot powers, add long casting times and cooldowns to the mix and there you have it, low roc rates.

I highly doubt proc rates will be any different in mod 13, they're one of the reasons SW is weaker than other damage dealers.

Also, keep in mind one of the devs stated they have something planned for Aura of Courage, who knows? It may be based off the OP's hp finally, it could also crit (based on the paladin or group memeber's crit chance), I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf it by making it deal damage that doesn't scale at all.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

> @schietindebux said:

> Warlock is a low-proc class on most stuff.

> Aura of courage, weapon enchants, weapon damage, no matter what.

> You will not get much benefit out of other enchants then Vorp/Fey (said to be fixed)/Dread

> BoVA, Hadars Grasp, Hand of Blight, Harrow Storm are some powers to mention regarding procs of weaponenchants.

> Terror enchant is more something like a "poor man´s" alternative to a "Holy-avenger" for GWF, I was told. Good weapon damage+ debuff on top

Why is SW a low proc class, and will this change in Mod 13? Just curious as I am currently leveling a templock with the idea that a lot of the dot powers could synergize with Aura of Courage....

As of Mod12.5, the SW's best powers either don't proc weapon enchants very often or don't recieve a high relative DPS increase from proc enchants due to having good base damage.

Creeping Death doesn't proc enchants.
    Tyrannical Curse transfers enchant proc damage through the links, but the links themselves do not proc anything. While on the subject, none of the curse types proc proc weapon enchants either.
    Gates of Hell doesn't proc proc weapon enchants.
    Immolation Spirits don't proc proc weapnon enchants
    Killing Flames hits once and has high base damage.
    Fiery Bolt has respectable base damage damage per target hit.
    Blades of Vanquished Armies only procs proc enchants once on the initial hit.
    Soul Scorch's DoT doesn't multiproc enchants, and the initial hit has decent base damage.

The exceptions of proc weapon enchants go to duckonaplate and Hadar's Grasp, but the question is, how much of your DPS is comprised of those two powers compared to the rest of the stuff which don't benefit from proc based weapon enchants?

A similar case can be made of Aura of Courage. Aura of Courage is a proc and its usefulness follows a similar ruleset. The only classes Courage is good on are CW, which is Procs: The Class, and GWF, which has good proc speed and low base damage.

• rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Looks like I should abandon my idea for a SW then.....darn.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    rubytrue said:

Looks like I should abandon my idea for a SW then.....darn.

@rubytrue CW or GWF are better candidates for what you want.
  • ebriel127ebriel127 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    The SW is my alt so I’m fairly new to the class, and my primary is not DPS so I don’t have experience with using weapon enchants. Why is a high base damage bad for weapon enchants proc?
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    ebriel127 said:

The SW is my alt so I’m fairly new to the class, and my primary is not DPS so I don’t have experience with using weapon enchants. Why is a high base damage bad for weapon enchants proc?

It's not bad in the "it hurts my build" sense. It's bad in the "something else does better" sense.

There are two primary weapon enchantment types in the game:
    • Buff enchantments whose main appeal is that they multiply the damage of your abilities (ex: Vorpal)
    • Proc enchantments, whose main appeal is that they add extra hit of weapon damage to your ability's original hit (ex: Terror).
    When deciding an enchantment, you're basically considering if you would get more from simply multiplying your base damage versus adding a hit worth (x)% of your weapon damage.

Even when considering SW's mediocre damage potential, their base damage is high enough relative to their weapon damage that a buff enchantment that multiplies their damage would yield more DPS than adding extra procs of damage.

If you would like more concise information, you can view Sylux's discussion of weapon enchantments in the link below.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1235269/inconsistency-of-weapon-enchantments

If you would like to check raw numbers/graphs, you can view my weapon enchantment comparison here, though I'm sure I've already bored enough people with the math.

(Sylux himself has updated info if you'd like to see Unparalleled stuff, so go bother him if you want to see a more complex comparison.)

• ebriel127ebriel127 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    Thanks, that was really helpful. I appreciate it.