test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is everyone stacking deflect?

bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
According to this website, the effective HP provided by adding deflect is lower compared to adding an equivalent amount of HP (e.g. adding 1000 deflect provides <4000 effective HP), unless you meet one or more of the following criteria:

1. 75%-85% deflection severity like TR
2. Very high base deflection chance (>~30% if sev is 60%)
3. Very high base HP (>~200k if sev is 60%)

Not to mention deflect doesn't help against piercing dmg. Aside from proccing deflect boons, why do people prefer deflect?

Comments

• Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I would guess that in PvP if IIRC, you could deflect CC effects, and lower the duration by the severity (But not sure at all about this, or if it wasn't changed long ago, or if it was like that to begin with).
  • Options
    marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    bvira said:

According to this website, the effective HP provided by adding deflect is lower compared to adding an equivalent amount of HP (e.g. adding 1000 deflect provides <4000 effective HP), unless you meet one or more of the following criteria:

Not to mention deflect doesn't help against piercing dmg. Aside from proccing deflect boons, why do people prefer deflect?

In pvp burst damage is what will kill you most of the time and burst damage is very seldom delivered in one hit. If you can not build hp enough to survive that kind of burst, Gf full chain is a good example, deflecting one or more of the hits will increase your chanse of surviving and be able to counterattack or get away.

The higher deflect the greater the chanse is to cut many attacks into a smaller amount of total damage hence surviving.
    That a deflected attack also cuts the duration of a deflected cc attack also increases the value or having high deflect.

Same goes if you are attacked by several opponents at same time you can not build enough hp but having 50% + in deflect will most likely cut the damage of half the attack by at least 50% that is taking 25% less damage in total.

Adding to this there are several boons and items that trigger on a succesfull deflect that either deals damage or heal yourself also makes a high deflect more useful.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    The initial Cc pvp hit with no Cc stacks built has a really really strong/long duration (way more then prior mods cause cc tencity was removed ) and the more Cc you can mitagate by deflecting the initial (strongest Cc hit before immunity kicks in the better

if you are controlled longer the extra hit points you may have gained will be whittled away anyways ..
    that being said i can run at around 50% deflect and still have ~ 250 k hitpoints ... with very few rank 13s in defensive slots at the moment

changing the guild boon to give boost on potions drinking may help as well if it is not bugged again with pvp poition

you may be able to squeeze more hit points by using only mount insignia selectively with them the (+800 hitpoint ones )
  • Options
    miyanaamiyanaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 72 Arc User
    bvira said:

Like you said, stacking deflect makes sense only if you have a lot of HP. All of these burst dmg GFs,TRs etc, you always want ~200k HP and around 50% deflect next to that.

I usually run around 230k HP + 16k (23k with ring/boon procs) deflect and can easily 1v1 GFs with that, but only cause even if they hit me for half of my HP or more, theres a big chance that their next attack will be deflected,so I have time to either debuff them more or heal up if possible.

I think that stacking just HP wouldnt do the trick, unless you are a GF or OP.
    Same goes for deflect, you cant stack it without lots of HP either, there has to be balance between those two.

PvP DC ~ Meep Neox
    YouTube
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I was asking since it has become a trend to stack insane amount of deflect without any apparent reasons as if it's infinitely better than HP. And I was using Elven enchant most of the time so the CC reduction was quite irrelevant to me. And insignia bonus like Survivor's Blessing procs 24/7 even when I had only 10% deflection chance.

If you compared two builds, one with deflect and the other with an equivalent amount of HP, ignoring the CC reduction effect for the moment, they should theoretically die at the same time when the same amount of damage is inflicted upon them. In fact, HP allows you to survive more consistently against high burst hits because one with a deflect build may fail to deflect multiple times in a row with a non-trivial probability.

People above have mentioned that having high deflection helps you survive better when you're low in HP, which is true obviously. But you're neglecting the fact that you get low faster when you favor deflect over HP in the first place; the math just doesn't lie.

All in all, I do think that the CC duration reduction and reflect dmg boons make deflect an overall preferable option in PvP for many. However, it's important to note that HP does outperform deflect, at least in terms of providing an effective HP pool, more than just marginally.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    umm with the nerfs to healing depression and healing mount insignia bonuses tied to hitpoint pool stacking hitpoints is slightly less viable cause they (the health )are harder to gain back with the nerf vs just deflecting a larger amount of damage and getting hitpoints back thru larger burst attacks with life steal and endless consumption boon (way more health then you would get back from insignias tick healing at a few percent of your health pool then nerfed/suppressed by 75% and further nerfed in usefullness if someone has the healing depression boon active on you .

not to say you dont need at least a moderate amount even with 30% life steal
    pally so broken in pvp at the moment players dealing no damage to it and the class then can heal for like 200k in one shot despite healing depression
    Post edited by kalina311 on