test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trapper in ToNG

wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
Hey guys. Been wondering what are your opinions and thoughts after running Tong as a trapper.

Any tips, cautions? Also your thoughts on how it compares with combat would be awesome.

Cheers!

Comments

• eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    @rtrinidad this is a question for you. Same to you @jaegernl and @kikopop
  • wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Looks like Trapper is dead lol. [*]
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I do just fine as a trapper in TONG (16.5k or so, not really BIS anymore but as close as I have the time to be lol). You will get carpal tunnel of course, but I am able to keep up with pretty much any other classes DPS levels outside of a really good GWF.

I use a SW build, hindering, plant growth and constricting along with Clear the ground for trash (with a trans lightning enchant). For bosses I switch to a PF build, using Careful Attack, Longstriders, PG and CS (Plant Growth and Constricting rarely leave my bar) along with a trans dread.

I have a couple Combat Loadouts, but those tend to be for grinding and daily questing (combat along with Clear the Ground....hold right click and wait for stuff to die, rinse, repeat). I fond combat too slow after 2-3 years as a trapper (in fact, I find everything too slow, to the point i only use alts for Influence and Weekly RAD runs and even then, i get bored fast).

I think I have heard that Combat can technically out DPS Trapper now, but I don't think the margin is huge.

For the record, I'm by no means the best trapper or HR, so take this for what its worth.

• patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    SW-Combat here. I use seekers vengeance for bosses. throw caution, gushing wound, and plant growth do BIG numbers. and split strikes in between. enhance your split strike with main hand for 10% more damage. Also enhance your aspect of the pack with off hand. For trash mobs i use clear the ground and swap out seekers for twin blade storm.

i used to go pathfinder for bosses, but a closer look at the damage numbers for careful attach vs throw caution and it became an easy choice.
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User

SW-Combat here. I use seekers vengeance for bosses. throw caution, gushing wound, and plant growth do BIG numbers. and split strikes in between. enhance your split strike with main hand for 10% more damage. Also enhance your aspect of the pack with off hand. For trash mobs i use clear the ground and swap out seekers for twin blade storm.

i used to go pathfinder for bosses, but a closer look at the damage numbers for careful attach vs throw caution and it became an easy choice.

If you use vorpal 95% + chance I find it very hard to see through caution comming even close to carful attack unless you are the only one hitting the boss ofc :-).. or ?
  • patcherrkmpatcherrkm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 127 Arc User
    marnival said:

If you use vorpal 95% + chance I find it very hard to see through caution comming even close to carful attack unless you are the only one hitting the boss ofc :-).. or ?
    I don't use vorpal, fey does more dps. the damage bonus from throw caution is pretty much at 100% up time. It makes my other abilities do devastating damage. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of careful attack, but the math just works out better with throw caution.
  • shiva#4006 shiva Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    how much percentage of your overall damage does CA account for in dungeon runs, i also want to compare it to throw caution, for combat spec, because throw caution increases damage of all your powers which indirectly increases piercing blade and blade hurricane, which gives you another atwill slot for aimed strike, which gives you two more procs of blade hurricane per encounter
  • marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User

how much percentage of your overall damage does CA account for in dungeon runs, i also want to compare it to throw caution, for combat spec, because throw caution increases damage of all your powers which indirectly increases piercing blade and blade hurricane, which gives you another atwill slot for aimed strike, which gives you two more procs of blade hurricane per encounter

It differ very much on your group set up, in a pal, 3 dps +dc set up it does a lot more then gf buff,pal 2dc set up etc.
    Throw caution probably do more damage clearing trash if you are the main or only dps otherwise the trash mostly dies to fast to have time to execute to many combos.

I have not tried throw caution on boss mobs but after reading this I probably give it a go but I still daubt it can do more dps if the set up is 3 dps.
    Normally if I am the main dps or only dps I go for fey also but not with 3x dps as I have 95%+ crit and 200+crit severity...