test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When will we see the "promised" Trickster Rogue Class Review

sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
edited November 2017 in The Thieves' Den
Now that Mod 12b has landed and Bugfest month is over, when are we likely to see the oft promised TR class review?
Seeing the feedback thread for SW labelled as Official Mod 13, I'm thinking we've got yet more waiting ahead of us.
@nitocris83
aDXr4Ur.png
Civil Anarchy Officer
Fabled Alliance
Post edited by sabre10 on

Comments

• wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    Yeah, devs said TR is next character thats gonna get rework, yet mod 13 is labeled as SW rework mod - do they mean we get the rework before mod 13, or devs changed their mind?
  • ladypeanut66ladypeanut66 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I thought TRs were getting the rework on mod12B, but seeing this has not happened and mod13 is SW mod... Welp...
  • tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User

I thought TRs were getting the rework on mod12B, but seeing this has not happened and mod13 is SW mod... Welp...

its not sw mod. They are just making some small changes. They made it clear that its not a rework.
  • jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    > @wentris said:
    > Yeah, devs said TR is next character thats gonna get rework, yet mod 13 is labeled as SW rework mod - do they mean we get the rework before mod 13, or devs changed their mind?

> @ladypeanut66 said:
    > I thought TRs were getting the rework on mod12B, but seeing this has not happened and mod13 is SW mod... Welp...

It is not a rework, just a few tweaks as SW is the worst damage dealer due to getting overnerfed, those changes should get the class to a batter state.

The rework for both TR and SW is not going to happen anytime soon I believe, I think I saw somewhere devs are polishing mod 13 and starting to design the new one.
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    I do not play a TR but I hope the devs make TR a priority and fix the TR class.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    Eventually™, my peanut friends.

• micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    rjc9000 said:

Eventually™, my peanut friends.

Mr/Ms Insatiable peanut friends.
  • trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    Here is a recent dev post that mentions the upcoming TR rework. Unfortunately, it does not give us a specific date on when the TR rework will happen. Its probably many months away but if I had to take a guess, it will probably get released alongside module 13.
    ctatumdev said:

Other TR bugs:
    Shadowborn - This feat states that it is buffing our next attack, however any damage is calculated as the next attack including at will hits, Bleed ticks or Smoke Bomb ticks. Due to this it is wasted most of the time.

You are correct, this feat is mostly wasted since it gets 'used' on any damage; also, since it's increases stats, it doesn't really fit in with our other stat increasing feats, since this is a one-hit buff.

As such, this feat was discussed among our team and we've decided to rework Shadowborn:

Whenever you enter stealth, your next encounter or daily power deals an additional 5/10/15/20/25% damage as physical damage.

Two major reasons for this change is: First was to give y'all a clear, visible use of Shadowborn, so that this feat will no longer be wasted on DoT's or other unintended damages. The second reason for this change was so that this feat is more consistent with our other damage increasing feats. For us, having your stats rapidly flux for only one attack isn't a clean nor practical way to handle this feat.

We know there may be some discussions and concerns over this, but please note that this isn't going to be the end-all, be-all of Shadowborn. As we had promised y'all, Trickster Rogues are the next class up for a class balance. As such, during our balancing time, Shadowborn will be reviewed a second time to make sure that this change was the correct move for the TRs. This current change will be reviewed by our team, and by y'all, and we will make any further necessary changes based on how the new function of Shadowborn works for everyone.
    As for the SW "rework" its not a full rework exactly and I don't think the devs origionally planned to work on the SW class this month. The SW class from what I understand, got hit really hard by some of the recent adjustments and the SW thread looks like its an emergency patch to the class.

As for communicating with the devs, continue to speak up and make it clear that a TR rework is something the playerbase has not forgotten about and still wants. Reworking the TR class should be a high priority issue on the dev's to do list.

On another related note, I am increasingly concerned about a minority of comments I have been seeing pop up lately, some of those are not rational and are hurting our cause. I want to remind everyone to avoid succumbing to tribalism when talking with both the devs and other players and to keep your focus on offering productive feedback on the TR class. This applies to both TRs and members of other classes discussing TRs.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • jrdiiorio#8134 jrdiiorio Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    Yes they did mention shadowborn feat in bugmonth which will not be addressed in game until mod 13. Logically doing this if the rework is in mod 13 makes no sense.
  • mageddo#6766 mageddo Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    I hope they do a separate forum for the rework. Like October bug fix month it would be good if everyone can chime in. Not everyone plays the TR the same. I'm sure the person or persons on the dev team that watch over the classes or TR in general doesn't know all that is wrong. Otherwise they would have seen the issues back in mod 6.

It's been 6 mods and we only have a sliver of hope that this will be done 7 mods after. I pray to the nine gods that if and when something is done it is done right.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @mageddo#6766 said:
    > I hope they do a separate forum for the rework. Like October bug fix month it would be good if everyone can chime in. Not everyone plays the TR the same. I'm sure the person or persons on the dev team that watch over the classes or TR in general doesn't know all that is wrong. Otherwise they would have seen the issues back in mod 6.
    >
    > It's been 6 mods and we only have a sliver of hope that this will be done 7 mods after. I pray to the nine gods that if and when something is done it is done right.

You can't say pray here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User

Yes they did mention shadowborn feat in bugmonth which will not be addressed in game until mod 13. Logically doing this if the rework is in mod 13 makes no sense.

Given that the devs have said Mod 13 is pretty much done and they're progressing with 14 I'd agree with this. I'm disappointed that the thread got shunted into the thieves den from general discussion. Nicely tucked away
    aDXr4Ur.png
    Civil Anarchy Officer
    Fabled Alliance
  • sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    It's getting a bit ridiculous with the lack of communication from the Devs on this subject. We were promised this rework, what, a year ago?

I know I'm not the only one frustrated by this lack of communication. It sure would be nice to feel like we were valued as a class by the Devs.

Not even a "hey we hear you and are working on it now", or a "We just want to make sure we do it right so we are taking our time," or even a "Look, we can't rebalance you until we sort out PVP because if we make you stronger in PVE, the PVP community will riot- all 20 of them."

Can we get something?!? @nitocris83
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
    > @sirjimbofrancis said:
    > It's getting a bit ridiculous with the lack of communication from the Devs on this subject. We were promised this rework, what, a year ago?
    >
    > I know I'm not the only one frustrated by this lack of communication. It sure would be nice to feel like we were valued as a class by the Devs.
    >
    > Not even a "hey we hear you and are working on it now", or a "We just want to make sure we do it right so we are taking our time," or even a "Look, we can't rebalance you until we sort out PVP because if we make you stronger in PVE, the PVP community will riot- all 20 of them."
    >
    > Can we get something?!? @nitocris83

Yes it's been about a year and mod 14 is another year and we don't even have any confirmation it will be done even then. Clearly if they can make such significant changes to the sw within a matter of weeks of the obc nerf they could have done something for trs in the past year. It feels like they've completely abandoned trs. The wording on the shadowborn fix from bugmonth also suggests to me that they have not even begun to brainstorm any changes for the future of the tr cause they say the team came up with this solution and may be reviewed in the future.
    > @ren047 said:
    > Form time to time, in my guild, a new player comes with his or her TR, fresh and full of hope. Naturally, a veteran like me (TR since end of beta) gets a lot of questions. A few of these questions are quite hard to ask:
    > 1- is it worth to play TR?
    > 2 - Is TR viable as dps?
    > 3 - Will people be willing to invite me for stuff?
    >
    > Guess how many persist... Only a handful of stupid guys who foolishly hope TR will see better days like me and you, reader. (Hope should have left Pandora's box... because it's a monster)
    >
    > Considering how Cryptic cares about TR, shall i tell every new player who comes to my guild to avoid playing TR? i'm starting to think it's a good idea...
    >
    > Or perhaps we need to petition Cryptic to delete the class so this CHARADE CALLED TR REWORK will end for good.
    >
    > ...
    >
    > Now that my rant is over, the first step into a hypothetical rework needs to be separation of effects in our powers against creatures and players. Something to be done the hard way. Cryptic may need to re-write the class from scratch. Is this economically viable? i don't think so. So, reader, waste your time waiting for a rework that will never come.

Ha, at least your guild still accepts trs. Every time we get a request for a tr guild leaders in my guild they don't even respond. I'd be shocked if my guild is the only in one that does this. Really cryptic is just shooting themselves in the foot because how many people in those same shoes get turned off by other players responses about the quality of their class. I'd be pretty confident to say most of those newer players leave and don't spend a dime.
  • clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User

Every time we get a request for a tr guild leaders in my guild they don't even respond. I'd be shocked if my guild is the only in one that does this..

I think you need to find a new guild ASAP.
  • chad#0696 chad Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    ^^^^^^^^
    TRs do need a rework for sure, especially non exec builds but they are far from useless. I ran T9G as solo DPS with an OP, GF buff, SW templock and AC\DC. Two very smooth 30 min no wipe runs.
  • mageddo#6766 mageddo Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    > @chad#0696 said:
    > ^^^^^^^^
    > TRs do need a rework for sure, especially non exec builds but they are far from useless. I ran T9G as solo DPS with an OP, GF buff, SW templock and AC\DC. Two very smooth 30 min no wipe runs.

Could have been 10 to 15 minutes with any other dps class though. That's the rub. Not down playing your skill or build just that numbers don't lie. If we were just as good there would be more acceptance of TRs in groups.
    > @mageddo#6766 said:
    > > @chad#0696 said:
    > > ^^^^^^^^
    > > TRs do need a rework for sure, especially non exec builds but they are far from useless. I ran T9G as solo DPS with an OP, GF buff, SW templock and AC\DC. Two very smooth 30 min no wipe runs.
    >
    > Could have been 10 to 15 minutes with any other dps class though. That's the rub. Not down playing your skill or build just that numbers don't lie. If we were just as good there would be more acceptance of TRs in groups.

15 min is exaggerating I take it, but a GWF would probably take less time for sure. I do think we need balanced, but we're far from broken/useless. I'm usually top DPS or within 10-20% of the top DPS. I really think a crit severity buff to stealth in PvE is very doable and necessary. Also, they need to fix Shadowborn, ITC and One with the Shadows (it doesn't always proc)
  • talon1970talon1970 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 152 Arc User
    First of all, i do agree that we need an overlook, nor i am an backstabber.

You can crucify me now, but i think that the class lacks still on knowledgesharing, the class is maybe too attractive for more casual oriented players and they don't care much about builds, gear, rotations and so on, they play more for fun.

So we tried some RQ (epic) with Dc (me), Gf and Hr and on every run (3x) we got an Tr in the party.
    And sorry to say, i can now understand why so many people don't want an Tr in the party, nothing to say against if someone is starting the grind for gear or AD, then it is obvious, that the performance is not that good, we all had the same problem.

But..on the Cn run we had, there was an 14k WK and an 9k CW with us and at the end, the Cw was dealing the same dps as the Tr....sure can't say if he/she had an bad day, lags or something else, but for me it was very disappointing to see it.

Nowadays with "Meta Groups" an Tr is viable as only dps class in the group, we are able to clear even TonG in an good time (20 - 30) minutes, if it is well build, geared and played. And i consider myself not as an Top Tr, definitely.

But i think personally that we also (Mi and Wk) are lacking on "Group Utilitys", all we can give is dps, thats it.

In the old days, up to Mod4 we had an feat in the exe tree, that we could give the party 5% more crit severity (if i could remember correctly), now we have nothing, except medium dps against trash and good (not excellent) single target dps against Bosses.

So why not give us back (on all trees) some "party stuff", like:

- Shady Preparations from Saboteur

- Press the Advantage from Scoundrel

- Dying Breath from Exe

(and yes i know, most builds prefer an mix from Exe/Scoundrel so it could be too much with DB and PtA as Party Buff, so this should be tested and not be viable in PvP)

• blur#5900 blur Member Posts: 490 Arc User
    In my opinion, the main problem of TR class is that it depends so much on Daily powers. Without the buffs from Dailies we are tickling the enemies, be it aoe or single target fights. I am not sure but probably no other dps class depends on Dailies so much.
    That leaves us with very narrow end-game choice - high AP gain choice. There is no other way around it if we want to compete in end-game against top dps of other classes.
    Strict rotations, strict choice of encounters.
    Another problem would be, as mentioned before, is what does TR bring to the party. The answer is nothing. Aside from dps, which we are not famous for, we dont contribute to the party in no other way. There is Wicked Reminder but that encounter hurts us more than it helps.

As for the rework, i dont expect much. Too many things would need to be changed to make us less dependent on Dailies. Hopefully, at least the bugs get fixed and small adjustments get done, like the change to Shadowborn. The suggested change to Skullcracker would be nice as well and the suggested buff to Stealth would be like winning the lottery.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    The Pre Mod 5 Executioner feat was 'Critical Teamwork' and added 1/2/3/4/5 % Critical Chance to each party member. This was back when 50% Crit Chance was as good as it got.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    WK is garbage, so even if that rogue was having a good day, he/she would still not be pulling a fair share of DPS. I understand the complaint that there are very narrow options for viable DPS as a rogue, but that is not a limitation unique to TRs. Would I like to see more viable specs? Definitely. Adding crit severity to stealth would help all specs equally. They're already upping Tenacious Concealment to add more stealth gain, so by limiting the number of times being hit will diminish stealth or by reducing the effect of damage on stealth will greatly help non-exec builds be more competitive. I don't know how many times I would praise Sab until I got pinned in a mob of enemies waiting 15 sec for One with the Shadows to proc because there was no hope that my stealth would regen on its own. Then when OwtS bugs out, you're doubly screwed.

With all that being said. I agree that skill is the determining factor for a TR to get into that 80-90th percentile of top DPS, but that last 10% might as well be off limits. Especially if a decent GWF, CW or HR rolls through with their consistent AoE damage. TR should theoretically make it up on single target DPS, but even then we are somewhat easily outshined. I wouldn't say we don't have a way to help the party, though. I know players who prefer running with an experienced TR because our smoke bomb, very low threat and ITC keep us alive longer than other classes ensuring smoother runs and the ability to res downed team members.

Point is: TRs aren't anywhere near hopeless, but we could use a little buff to PvE damage output.