test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tanking ToNG question.

thrill#1417 thrill Member Posts: 163 Arc User
Question about bosses. I am a 15.2k pally. I was having trouble with aggro on Orcus but Aura radiance and oath strike seems to have solved that. I use bane on him to help the team.

Second boss seems pretty easy and I just use bane.

Third boss is the real question. He is not hard, but I have a tough time casting bane on him. I usually repeatedly miss him and don't build up the stacks. What do you guys use on the last boss? Should I forget bane and use sacred weapon or smite? My other two encounters are always CoP and TW.

Thanks.

Comments

• nic1985nic1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 415 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    @thrill#1417

Last boss ToNG to effectively cast Bane, I look up (slightly) at the boss and cast.

So far i have no trouble keeping 3x Bane on the boss.

Additionally using this command /gfxSetDefaultFOV XX (setting XX to 100), I can cast Bane where ever the boss teleport, as I can see the whole stage.

Hope this help with your next Ras Nsi fight.
  • thrill#1417 thrill Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    Thanks. I am getting better with the Bane. I am on Console so unfortunately I can't use your other tip.
  • elmeister#2511 elmeister Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    I generally go TW/CoP/bane on Orcus, and if I feel extra dps is needed I switch out TW for SW once I hit a good TW. I've found that beyond the first hit once everything procs, a big TW can sustain about 15 hits from the wand.

2nd boss CoP/SW/Vow or bane, never once died, even in 1 DC no templock groups

3rd boss can put a world of hurt and as much as I tried there's no way to go Leeroy on this guy, my choice depends on what the DPS is doing, if they are attentive I run feytouched with bane/CoP/TW to make it go down faster, but if the DPS seems to like tunnel visioning on boss, I'll run lightning with BL/CoP/TW to clear adds/souls and prevent a companion wipeout
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

Thanks. I am getting better with the Bane. I am on Console so unfortunately I can't use your other tip.

On console, press the left menu button and pull back on the right stick - this widens your field of view to max (or wherever you're comfortable). I did this for To9G and it helps a lot with seeing the green balls etc.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
    edited October 2017
    Anyone know if guild demon overloads work on Orcus? Isn't he the demonlord? Does the Yuan Ti Slayer ring bonus work on Ras Nisi?
  • evrisaevrisa Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Keep in mind with Bane while in Prot, if a party member is in your way, you will not be able to apply Bane. NPCs, companions, etc are ok. Other players will block a Prot's bane.
    It is difficult to apply bane but generally if you look upwards when facing the boss, it can find it's mark. It's hardest to do on the last boss as he's pretty short...

• trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

It is difficult to apply bane but generally if you look upwards when facing the boss, it can find it's mark. It's hardest to do on the last boss as he's pretty short...

For me it's harder on 2nd boss after the tower is taken down.
    Yes once he's on the floor it is difficult. I ran a couple yesterday and I didn't do well with the positioning so I just made sure CoP was up and everyone had SoF for that final burn through.

• ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    I haven't had much trouble but I tend to run with a heavy duty DC and GWF. I just keep bane on him and tend to use BO and TW as my other two along with bubbling every time he does his big swipe so that my DPS can stay on him. My DC friend keeps my cooldowns low so that I can just keep popping TW and bubble. I tried CoP and on one hand really liked it in place of BO - but the animation was so long and I kept getting knocked out of it that in frustration I just put BO on. I'm only 13.5K... so once I get up into the 15K range I might have an easier time without BO on him.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

edited October 2017
    I use CoP, TW and Bane on boss 2. My groups rarely have problems on that boss. If we have survivability problems I will cast Shield of Faith instead of Divine Judgment. I pretty much never use the bubble anymore.
  • trzebiat#2067 trzebiat Member Posts: 372 Arc User
    I don't even use SoF for bosses, maybe for trash when engaging, but mostly between enemies for extra movement from Shepherd's Devotion.

I usually switch TW for Bane on bosses after getting Temp HP (also using SW and CoP) or start without TW. With good support even the last boss is doable without TW and Temp HP. I usually start 3rd boss with SW+DJ to grab aggro, then Lion for shield and go on. I haven't try using Smite instead CoP yet though, I guess in high groups it could be better maybe.

I switched from CoP to BO on trash and I like it more, SW+BO does a good job on trash.
    I ran a couple today and couldn't be bothered switching skills at the 2nd boss - I went in with TW/Smite/BO which are my usual powers for running between bosses - I had no issues.

Group composition was me, 2x DC 2x HR and we averaged at 30 mins per run.

I use BO for mobs in most all dungeons mainly because it is good for grabbing agro on a bunch at once. And my damage doesn't do much worse than when I run SW or Smite. I may try BL in T9G one time.
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    1ST Boss:
    Start of combat-Binding Oath / Bane / Templars Wraith / Oath Strike / Shield of Faith / Divine judgement / Courage + Wisdom
    After I build up enough Temp HP I change out my encounters. I then switch to
    Binding Oath / Bane / Sacred Weapon.
    Pretty easy of a boss fight just stand back a bit and put circle of power closer to the stair case and further from the boss. That way when players get knocked back they are still in the circle of power area of affect.

What I do at the start of combat is I use bane to draw him closer to the middle then run and jump behind him so he turns his back to my allies. Hit Binding oath then templars wraith. Tab once or twice to make sure to grab 100% aggro. Now what you do is just keep hitting him with your tab and Binding Oath. When he starts to teleport chase him and hit him with BO to pull him back to middle after he teleports.

Rinse and reapet. Now if your team get to ignorant and cannot move out of red aoe debuffs and you do not have enough dps to just melt him down. When people start taking a lot of damage you throw on circle of power in place of templars wraith. Obviously make sure you have enough Temp HP before switching naturally. Always keep him in the middle as much as you can.
  • isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User

armadeonx said:

For me it's harder on 2nd boss after the tower is taken down.
    You have to do the opposite for the 2nd boss after tower is down you have to aim down at him from like a upper view. Its kinda annoying but well what can you do lol.