test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Critique My Setup

oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
I didn't add boons in yet, but here is a link to my toon. I like staying trapper and I think I've got things optimized pretty well. Not sure if any more Primal items are going to be better than what I have (I don't mind the VB cost of the relic set).

(I can clarify the enchants if needed if you can't tell by the picture. Mostly Brutals/Darks/Savage/Silverys)

Any suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User

I didn't add boons in yet, but here is a link to my toon. I like staying trapper and I think I've got things optimized pretty well. Not sure if any more Primal items are going to be better than what I have (I don't mind the VB cost of the relic set).

(I can clarify the enchants if needed if you can't tell by the picture. Mostly Brutals/Darks/Savage/Silverys)

Any suggestions welcome :)

You want to shoot for,

Helm : Rex Corona.
    Arms : Primal.
    Boots : Alpha are ok, if you are having trouble with hitting Arpen cap then use the Bonespurs.
    Rings : you want one Primal and pick wich one of the new +5 rings fit your stats better. More than likely +5 Dino slayer.

drop the shadow demon as a companion and pick up the siege master.

you will want to drop berserkers rage as well since you as a trapper should not be capping AP and setting on it.

Also ideally for the companion you will want to run black ice for Def slots with the changes coming in mod 12.5 you will want to take a look at Demonic and or Gigantic to help balance out what stats you will be missing for the offensive slots.

Remember you want to hit 85% Arpen, then 100% crit, then since you are trapper you can bypass recovery and focus on pure power gains.
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Pretty much what he said. Though rex corona and a +5 dino will make you insane trying to get them.

What's with the orcus arti..? There's only so much movement you need, I'd swap that out next mod for the soul seer thingie.

And whoa. You can add jewelry kits to pet gear..? Do the stats transfer..? And if so, how did I not know this lol.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • nirafelosnirafelos Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

You can add jewelry kits to pet gear..? Do the stats transfer..?

Follows the same rule for bonding-transferred stats, which means only the stuff that shows up on a companion's stat sheet will transfer (other than HP), which means regen kits transfer, but stamina gain or AP gain won't.

All three are (obviously) entirely useless other than providing item level.
    @oldbaldyone Your artifact choices look kind of weak, but they're fine-ish if they're what you already have and you don't want to spend the AD/RP to replace them. Wheel of Elements should be primary. Lostmauth Horn and Orcus Shard are fine I guess, but they're pretty expensive and you're not using their sets. And not using their sets is basically only considered marginally better than using the orcus set because it gives you the freedom to not use the orcus shard, which wastes 1000 points on movement. Belial is the weakest one in your current lineup, because you can get enough lifesteal from defensive slots without needing to trade away offensive stats.

Generally I'd prefer anything from the list of:
    • Lantern of Revelations (Crit+ArP)
    • Fragmented Key of Stars (Power+ArP+Crit)
    • Thayan Book of the Dead (ArP+Crit)
    • Sigil of the Controller (Power+Crit)
    • Eye of the Giant (HP+Power+Crit+ArP+Defense)
    • Mod12b Soul Sight Crystal is a potential Wheel replacement for primary, with otherwise the same stats as your Belial stone
    • Tiamat Orb (Power+Crit+Recovery+ArP)
    Basically....your artifacts are the largest and cheapest place for you to add or subtract crit and armor pen as you reach those caps, and you should only consider Artifacts without those stats if you are at one or both caps.

Pre-12B, you should be able to reach the crit cap with Brutals instead of Azures in your personal Offense Slots, netting more Power total -- especially as Trapper instead of Combat (since you need 10% less crit%). You may have been needing the Azures due to artifact choices?

Shadow Demon companion doesn't do much for you in PVE content (though yeah, it's fun how tanky it makes you for the first second of combat). You could consider trading it out for a Siege Master or an Erinyes of Belial.

I'd swap Magistrate's Patience and Berserker's Rage out for Protector's Friendship, Cavalry's Warning, Gladiator's Guile, or Artificer's Persuasion. The DoT from Magistrate's Patience is pretty minimal, as is the power you'll get from Berserker's Rage even if you never use Dailies (and as trapper, Forest Ghost is actually decent for you). You only need 25k power, for instance, for Protector's Friendship to always give you more power than Berserker's Rage possibly could at the ArP cap. The 15% movespeed from GG is actually pretty wonderful for ducking in and out of Longstrider buff range.

Especially post-12b, I'm a big advocate for only using double or triple stat enchants if you can get away with it while maintaining your Crit and ArP caps. For Combat this basically means I use as many Black Ices as I can get away with and swap to Brutals where needed to cap Crit, but since trapper has no use for Recovery, this probably means Brutals, Savages, or Demonic for offense slots, Black Ice for Companion defensive slots (which pairs nicely with Assassin's Covenant), and either Black Ice, Draconic, or Savage for personal defensive slots.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips guys. For the record, I'm not a stats guy and basically just tossed whatever I had in the slots with the right stats. I do fairly well but i always knew that I wasn't totally optimized.

I probably should have posted this BEFORE the last 2xRP weekend, but I'm not really short on RP either so I should be able to make some strides with the artifacts. I have a few of the companions mentioned so i should be good there also (mostly used what I had for the stats bonus).

Anyone have a link to this new artifact? Soul whatever. I assume it drops from the skirm.

I will be making changes related to this. Hopefully there are people out there willing to buy enchants still :)
    Here is what I came up with to work towards based on your feedback:

Note: Head and one of the rings - I don't know that I'll even do KOS, we shall see. I updated one ring to Primal after I took the screenshot.

According to the site, this puts me at 97% crit unbuffed and 90% ArP (which is obviously a little much, I'll have to tweak it a little more.

Am I on the right track?

@nirafelos @dragonsbane3 @jonkoca

:)
    I received word that Assassins Covenant only works with stats on your toon, not ones coming from the companion. That said, it still seems to be the best option of all of the multi-stat enchants, as I can make use of all the stats.
    The Wheel of the Elements is only a good Artifact in your primary slot. It and the Soul Sight Crystal are going to be the contenders in 12B for primary slot -- but pick one of them, not both.

That said -- at this point, wait on swapping artifacts until the new refinement system comes out. Feeders during 2xRP made the old system waaaaay cheaper, but PC has already had its last ever 2xRP event, and the new system will be about half as expensive as the current system outside of 2xRP.
    I'm just keeping an eye on things and if any of the artifacts crash in price, I'll grab them. Fragmented Key seems to be very pricey right now and I don't see that dropping, so I'm avoiding that unless it drops. Thayan Book was at 380 for an epic one so I picked one up and will wait to refine.

I have a couple mythic artis laying around....I'm wondering currently if its better to dump a Mythic into a new artifact before the 24th, or wait and convert to RP after...I would think there is still some benefit to the matching, but I dont know. RP isn't really an issue for me though, as I have probably 25000 bags with RP in them to open.

I'm just keeping an eye on things and if any of the artifacts crash in price, I'll grab them. Fragmented Key seems to be very pricey right now and I don't see that dropping, so I'm avoiding that unless it drops. Thayan Book was at 380 for an epic one so I picked one up and will wait to refine.

I have a couple mythic artis laying around....I'm wondering currently if its better to dump a Mythic into a new artifact before the 24th, or wait and convert to RP after...I would think there is still some benefit to the matching, but I dont know. RP isn't really an issue for me though, as I have probably 25000 bags with RP in them to open.

What do you have laying around at mythic?

Fragmented Key of Stars is actually probably my pick for best Artifact stat distribution, since it has Crit in its third slot instead of one of the secondary ratings with crazy diminishing returns and questionable use, like Control Resist or Action Point Gain, but they're expensive right now.

That said, you can afford to drop 2000 Armor Penetration total (though, you should look at how much ArP you're getting from your companion via bondings and how much you'll lose in the 12b bondings nerf, so having a surplus now isn't a bad thing), which makes the 1000 ArP on the key not particularly desirable. If anything, you could look to grab another 1000 crit to hit the cap exactly (though honestly 97.5% is totally fine), and it's not like the HP+Power on the Wheel is actively bad.

In terms of Artifacts with Crit, Tiamat Orb and Lantern are usually pretty cheap, and Controller Sigil is free (and doesn't come with more ArP that you don't need).

Under the current system, 5x matching a mythic artifact into a new artifact will yield 7,853,400 out of the total required 10,469,635 RP (75%) to get the new one to mythic. Under the new system, it will yield 157,068 out of 523,481 (30%). Even if they double the value of Artifacts for RP in the new system (which several people have been pushing), you're right that a matching mythic will get you further now.
  • rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User

Thanks for the tips guys. For the record, I'm not a stats guy and basically just tossed whatever I had in the slots with the right stats. I do fairly well but i always knew that I wasn't totally optimized.

I probably should have posted this BEFORE the last 2xRP weekend, but I'm not really short on RP either so I should be able to make some strides with the artifacts. I have a few of the companions mentioned so i should be good there also (mostly used what I had for the stats bonus).

Anyone have a link to this new artifact? Soul whatever. I assume it drops from the skirm.

I will be making changes related to this. Hopefully there are people out there willing to buy enchants still :)

Comes from new lockbox (give Powers/Lifesteal/something irrelevant).

If the artifact hasn't changed since I last checked it, it pretty much is Knight's Challenge in an artifact: pop it, you get a few seconds to burst down your opponent...

----

I don't play HR well (and sorry to derail your thread a bit Gipsy...), but since we got a lot of good HR minds gathered here... has anybody had any success with Shepherd's Devotion on either a Trapper or Combat Setup?

After firing off a Longstrider's, I always find I'm way too slow to rush back into stabbing range (even when trying Gladiator's). I was thinking I could try Shepherds with Disruptive to fire off Longstriders, pop Distruptive, and benefit from high speed to dash Gushing Wound range...

If the arti drops from the lockbox, it will get cheap quick if they keep the drop rate the same as previously (I think the "Of the 9" arti was crazy cheap at one point. We shall see.

I think I have a waters artifact at mythic. I'll have to see if that matches up type wise with something good.

@rjc9000 NP. Always looking for good information and to be honest, I usually only use longstriders when there are mobile bosses (like TONG end boss) or kickback bosses (TONG first boss). Moving in and out of combat like that has never been my strong suit, as it always feels like Im wasting time (its not, especially in a raid).
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    @rjc9000 I use shepards 100% of the time and find its worth it especially when it comes to trash clearing or making it to the boss fast enough to do damage. I often use disruptive shot or Slasher's Mark to proc. Totally worth it. When running to the next pack of mobs I use it in conjunction with forest ghost and pathfinder's action and the movement gets crazy. This is on combat setup. Don't play trapper enough to have noticed a difference with it.
    So I have completed the Artifact changeover to be the Soul Sight Shard, Fragmented Key of Stars, Thayan Book of the Dead and Tiamats Orb (cheated basically by trading the Lostmouth Artifact to the vendor). Bondings are all up to 13 now but I've kept the enchants basically the same.

I'm in the low 90's for Crit chance and 85% for ArP. I'm going to start reducing ArP in favor of Crit where I can. I changed the brutals on companion to azures (and moved the brutals to character) just to get the Crit up a bit. I may have to move boons around or something to get back to 100% crit...because I don't see another way without going back to dual offense rings.

The stats were taken outside a group so maybe I'm worried about nothing. At current, with bondings procced, I get around 54k power and 28k crit. Bondings took a toll for sure and I don't know that Im going to spend millions to get everything to 13 and 14 is a joke.
    edited October 2017
    I'm the same pretty much, swapped out my vanguards banner and key of stars for a gwf sigil (I'd had a mythic one in the bank since forever) and the new soul shard. Giants eye and cw sigil completes the 4.

Swapped azures into my pet and got bondings to 13. Respecced to grab a few more of the crit boons, decided I could keep gambit without losing too much critchance . With bondings procced, my power/arpen is okay at about 60k+/86%, and my crit is about 85%-90%, more if I pot up a bit. Did an FBI and everything seemed to go okay. Haven't tried Tong yet, glad I got all I needed before the nerf.

Leveling artifacts is a pain, if I hadn't had 2 spare mythics to dump into that soul shard it would have taken an age. Let's hope it doesn't get nerfed anytime soon.

Like you I blew maybe 2.5 million all told on rp and preservation wards, not planning to upgrade weapon and armor chants, vorpal doesn't gain much and barkshield, well, I might think about it perhaps.
    Post edited by jonkoca on
  • teucer#3019 teucer Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    Wow, 2.5 mill, that is painful. This past week I made three trans and they consumed a lot.
    The Legendary Outlaws
  • dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    Anyone who has swapped over to the Soul Sight Shard from the Wheel has lost a good amount of dmg. 28% for 30 secs is way better than 50% for 10 secs. We don't have the burst to justify using it like TR's & GWF'ers can setup.
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
    edited October 2017
    I had a wheel a couple of mods ago, never really got to be comfortable with it, quite happy with using giant eye on trashmob packs and soul shard on bosses. I'm a certified fan of fire-and-forget artifacts tbh. 10 seconds is enough time to drop an almost whole rotation on a boss, if you skip a flurry or two.