test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How far is too far with a programmable mouse/keyboard?

jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
This new post shows Cryptic giving away 3 gaming mice with programmable buttons.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10697524

If I was to get a gaming mouse with programmable buttons can I assign them any task I am able or will certain tasks get me flagged as botting?

Comments

• frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator

This new post shows Cryptic giving away 3 gaming mice with programmable buttons.

If I was to get a gaming mouse with programmable buttons can I assign them any task I am able or will certain tasks get me flagged as botting?

You don't need a gaming mouse for macros. And macros don't always mean botting. It depends on the person. If you let the mouse play for you (I don't think it can do that much), then yeah, you're botting. If you're using it for quick shortcuts, then no.
    FrozenFire
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User

You don't need a gaming mouse for macros. And macros don't always mean botting. It depends on the person. If you let the mouse play for you (I don't think it can do that much), then yeah, you're botting. If you're using it for quick shortcuts, then no.
    Not sure if it is intentional but you are just clarifying my question, not providing an answer.
  • andreask#1780 andreask Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    An explanation provided by a GM in another game (which I personally agree) is this: If macros make tasks easier but still require you behind the keyboard/mouse it is fine. If they perform tasks that don't require your presence behind the keyboard/mice, it is botting. I found this to be a golden guide when programming macros, regardless of what game I play.
  • chadvaliantchadvaliant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    I found this in their "Player Code of Conduct" https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4283/tpc/4283

In-Game Behavior Policies

It is against our policies to intentionally disrupt the gameplay of other players. Disruptive actions include, but are not limited to:
    Preventing content access to other players by blocking mobs/NPCs, doors, nodes, etc.
    Spamming excessive combat or social effects
    Interfering with player-run events
    Interfering with player gatherings
    Intentionally exploiting game bugs
    Utilizing third-party programs to automate unattended gameplay
    Disobeying instructions given by a Perfect World or Cryptic Studios Game Master

This might be splitting hairs but if you set a macro but still attended the gameplay it doesn't violate their rules.

I honestly don't think there is a definitive answer to your question but if there is, I'd also love to hear it.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Macros can be written in the game configuration with /bind commands to make your character do everything needed.

We can already farm rp being afk in all areas of the game. Just return to the computer to click every 14 minutes or so.

If your mouse is clicking then you don't have to return to the computer and I consider that botting. If you have to return while afk killing to stay logged in as your boons kill monsters / companions... to me that's fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    edited October 2017

Not sure if it is intentional but you are just clarifying my question, not providing an answer.
    Um... I did give you the answer... You shouldn't automate gameplay. You're free to create shortcuts.

Want to automate all professions? No...

Like to open profession window after invoke? Sure, create a Ctrl + I, N macro.
    FrozenFire

Um... I did give you the answer... You shouldn't automate gameplay. You're free to create shortcuts.

Want to automate all professions? No...

Like to open profession window after invoke? Sure, create a Ctrl + I, N macro.
    That macro automates gameplay no?

However, I don't think we need to go into how much automation = too much automation as,

@chadvaliant found something which covers it better:

Utilizing third-party programs to automate unattended gameplay

We haven't seen a repeat of a ban wave several months ago that caused X amount of legitimate players banned for invoking multiple characters for the maxmimum bonuses possible, so i assume that Cryptic have improved their detection of automated gameplay or at least found a workaround or are at least checking things manually to make sure legitimate players aren't being banned unfairly.

Am looking into replacing my keyboard/mouse with programmable ones, scary because I'm of that age now where just turning on the laptop and getting my desktop is an automatic win :)

So thankyou everyone for your participation, I feel a lot less anxious about buying something I worried may or might have gotten me banned.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited October 2017
    I believe it's generally 1 button = 1 action, as a rule of thumb. I could be wrong, as I do not work for customer service. So binding a mouse button to do a daily power or to open the map or campaign menu would be fine. Binding a mouse button to do your entire rotation in 1 click would be a very bannable offense. At the end of the day, only CS can truly answer this question.

I personally have a programmable mouse. I have my side buttons programmed weirdly, and probably not the most efficiently, but it works for me. One button opens Zen store, one button jumps (my spacebar sticks sometimes), one opens the map. Various tasks like that. None of them do more than one action.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    kreatyve said:

I believe it's generally 1 button = 1 action, as a rule of thumb. I could be wrong, as I do not work for customer service. So binding a mouse button to do a daily power or to open the map or campaign menu would be fine. Binding a mouse button to do your entire rotation in 1 click would be a very bannable offense. At the end of the day, only CS can truly answer this question.

I personally have a programmable mouse. I have my side buttons programmed weirdly, and probably not the most efficiently, but it works for me. One button opens Zen store, one button jumps (my spacebar sticks sometimes), one opens the map. Various tasks like that. None of them do more than one action.

That's how I plan to use them, however am pretty sure there might be some folks who would be mortified at the example you used as a very bannable offense. I'd certainly still call it attended gameplay but I think that's a discussion that needs to happen elsewhere.

With your answer and @chadvaliant I'm much more confident that my intended usage will not put me at risk of a ban so thankyou :)
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Closed at OP's request.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.